-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:12:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  So what did we all do today?
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 50   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: So what did we all do today?  (Read 435333 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: March 19, 2017, 09:08:56 PM »

2NOLA BB Fan: 50 kg/ 110 lb to 5'7 speaking here but now I'd like to be 40 kg/ 88 lb. What did you do?

Addition: Non-Shakespeare fan talking here but post the link to the free British uni course. We must share useful links. Thank you.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 02:58:02 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: March 20, 2017, 02:41:07 AM »

Congratulations, Elizabeth.

The course sounds like a gas. :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: March 20, 2017, 05:36:08 AM »

Mari, the free course, "Shakespeare and His World," is offered on the FutureLearn.com site. It is taught by faculty at the University of Warwick.
FutureLearn is a digital version of Britain's Open University.

As to dumping excess weight, I weighed and measured 3 meals a day, nothing in between. Drank only water or herbal tea. Cut out all flour and sugar. Ate LOTS of vegetables. Ate fruit at breakfast and lunch. Cooked from scratch as much as possible instead of using boxes of stuff some of which contain chemicals.
I've gotten off of it the last few days but will get back to it again, perhaps slightly modifying it. I like the way it keeps me from "crashing" right after lunch (would get so tired that I was afraid to drive). And my legs no longer feel like they have lead weights on them, so there's more of a spring in my step. And most importantly, I'm thinking more clearly!

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: March 21, 2017, 05:35:29 AM »

Elizabeth - Thanks for the info.
110 lb isn't excess but I'm just curioius to see if I can dump 10 kilo. Say, to 85-75 lb? Not to anorexic level. Then get back to: see 1st digit. Hence the question.
You know, some food is plain boring - vegetables/ fruits, dairy, fast food, soups. You grew up with vegetables, I can tell. You're basically friends with them. In other words, danke shon etc. but it's not to my taste.
Better tell about your 1st Shakespearean day. Was it interesting?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: March 21, 2017, 07:42:33 AM »

Hmm, you're 110 lbs at 5 feet seven inches tall? That's thin. Don't know that it would be healthy for you to get under 100 pounds. But I'm not your Mum! :-)

Anyway, I do love vegetables and fruits, especially fresh vegetables - grew up eating horribly over cooked tinned veggies - ugh!
Usually cook vegetables such as onions, peppers, mushrooms in a stir fry, with some chicken. Very quick and delicious.
I enjoy fruit with oatmeal. Strawberries are in season down here and we have a refrigerator full of them right now.
I can't have dairy as it makes me bloated and sometimes quite sick. I got tested for it. In the test if something was above 40 then there could be a problem. For dairy my score was 900! So I use nut/soy milk and "cheeze". Cashews can also be used to make a cheesy substitute.

Are you more of a "meat and potatoes" kind of gal?

Ah, Shakespeare! There are a bunch of videos to go through, a quick bio, some items from the Shakespeare museum. Watched a few yesterday and will continue to watch the rest throughout the week. Then there's a quiz (oh no).
Then the course will focus on one play a week and relate it to the events going on during The Bard's time.

It's so enjoyable listening to the lecturer. I could listen to him all day.
Love the way the British talk.
Americans for the most part don't move me in that way. Only a few perhaps, such as Orson Welles or James Earl Jones.

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: March 23, 2017, 03:17:57 AM »

Thoughts and prayers for the victims (and their loved ones) of the horrific attack in London yesterday.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: March 25, 2017, 07:24:51 PM »

Despite the long list of unfavorites (add eggs there, boring taste), these foods I like:
Seafood - fish, shrimps, caviar etc. Everybody in town goes fishing in June, it's the go-to food.
Fruit - orange. Berries, mushrooms - freshly picked. Buckwheat, rice. Meat - sliced bits. No patty. Liver's good too.

Which Shakespeare do you like? Tragedy, plays?

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: March 26, 2017, 05:18:41 AM »

Despite the long list of unfavorites (add eggs there, boring taste), these foods I like:
Seafood - fish, shrimps, caviar etc. Everybody in town goes fishing in June, it's the go-to food.
Fruit - orange. Berries, mushrooms - freshly picked. Buckwheat, rice. Meat - sliced bits. No patty. Liver's good too.

Which Shakespeare do you like? Tragedy, plays?

You'd feel right at home where I live. Seafood is everywhere. I had to go to the store early yesterday and passed a bayou and lagoon on the way, and saw lots of people fishing.
I love fresh mushrooms. Would love to be able to grow them. I know someone who forages for mushrooms in the forest but I would be afraid to try this on my own - might end up picking a "magic mushroom" that could send me trippin'!
Liver, particularly beef liver, ycch. Mom tried to force me to eat it as a kid, However, I can tolerate chicken liver if it's mixed in to rice. That dish is known down here as "dirty rice."

Probably my favorite Shakespeare plays are Julius Caesar and King Lear.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: March 26, 2017, 06:40:09 AM »

However, I can tolerate chicken liver if it's mixed in to rice. That dish is known down here as "dirty rice."

Is it? I first (and only?) saw dirty rice using ground beef or pork, and never gave it further thought. It was originally done with chicken liver? Interesting! The change makes sense, though, to give it a more broad appeal.

I envy your cuisine culture in New Orleans! While Minneapolis has built a great, great food culture in the past 15 years or so, its roots are far less interesting. In my youth and throughout my parents lives, it was known for bland, Americanized versions of Scandinavian or German peasant food. (I have a church cookbook that belonged to my late grandmother, published in the '50s or '60s. You'd die of laughter at their recipes for "exotic" dishes such as chili or lasagna.) Lots of plain meat, lots of potatoes, vegetables--often canned--boiled into grey oblivion, and nothing seasoned very heavily or with much beyond salt and pepper. As I said, that has changed, but the underlying roots weren't especially interesting.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: March 26, 2017, 06:42:59 AM »

No wonder Bob Dylan left! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: March 29, 2017, 10:51:45 PM »

Had a most interesting day.

Read an article and saw a documentary that involved how people react to extreme stress. The article was about children who, under stress, shut down and become comatose. There was a example of a boy from a Russian family who were trying to get refugee status in Sweden for religious reasons. Sweden was about to deport them and the boy, who had been in Sweden since he was 5 years old, all of a sudden became unresponsive, and was in a coma like state for 5 months before finally getting over it.
The other was a documentary about Augusta Chiwy, a Belgian nurse who aided Americans during the time of the Battle of the Bulge in late 1944. The horrors she experienced rendered her mute off and on for much of the rest of her life.

After that I needed to listen to some music. Pet Sounds fit the bill. And our dog always likes hearing Banana and Louie.

Went to Brian's concert tonight at the historic, beautiful Saenger Theater and had a wonderful time.

Came home to find that an ancestry report came back. I had sent a saliva sample a while back. Was kind of shocked at the results. Not what I expected! It will spark some interesting conversation in our family LOL.

It's getting close to 0100 hours and I should attempt to go to bed although I'm still pumped up by Brian and my crazy DNA.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 10:54:00 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: March 29, 2017, 11:54:41 PM »

Well you got me intrigued - what the results showed? Is it akin to "Who Do You Think You Are" & "Faces of America"? Like 5% this, 38% that etc? Thanks in advance.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: March 30, 2017, 10:16:04 AM »

Well you got me intrigued - what the results showed? Is it akin to "Who Do You Think You Are" & "Faces of America"? Like 5% this, 38% that etc? Thanks in advance.

Some surprises:
Shows about 5 percent Southern European ancestry (i.e. Spain, Portugal, Italy). Didn't know of any before.
Have about 18 percent Irish/British ancestry, more than I thought.
A little less than 1 percent Native American ancestry. Thought it might be a bit more as I supposedly had multiple lines with NA (Choctaw) ancestors. Perhaps those people weren't really Choctaws. People down here like to think we have more than we do, particularly romantic tales of Choctaw princesses. I do have at least one verifiable Choctaw line. As a record of court cases in the late 1700s shows, my male ancestor in Natchez, Mississippi lived with a Choctaw woman (he couldn't legally marry her) and had a couple of kids. He died in a freak accident - fell out of a tree, his leg was cut off and he bled to death. There was a court battle as to who could get his property - his children, or his relatives back in France. The children won the case.

What blew my mind? I have 2.3 percent sub Saharan African heritage, specifically from West Africa. This apparently took place from the period of the mid 1700s to early 1800s. This is most certainly from my mothers side as her ancestors have been in North America since the mid 1600s (my father's ancestors came over starting in the late 1840s).
I don't know how my mom would react to this, and especially some of my cousins. With the old "one drop rule" I would be considered to be an African American (which is laughable if you look at me. I'm about as "white" looking as you can get)!

As George Takei would say, "Oh my!" Grin

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: March 30, 2017, 09:14:07 PM »

It's funny what kind of rules people lived by in the past. So, you've got everything except Asian ethnicity. At least African makes sense - iir, Louisiana is country with many blacks, right? I think if they trace back their genes, they'd find some from Africa.
What about 70+%? Did you pay either for the sample or report/ both? Where do you go to get this info?

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: March 31, 2017, 06:51:52 AM »

Some surprises:
Shows about 5 percent Southern European ancestry (i.e. Spain, Portugal, Italy). Didn't know of any before.
Have about 18 percent Irish/British ancestry, more than I thought.
A little less than 1 percent Native American ancestry. Thought it might be a bit more as I supposedly had multiple lines with NA (Choctaw) ancestors. Perhaps those people weren't really Choctaws. People down here like to think we have more than we do, particularly romantic tales of Choctaw princesses. I do have at least one verifiable Choctaw line. As a record of court cases in the late 1700s shows, my male ancestor in Natchez, Mississippi lived with a Choctaw woman (he couldn't legally marry her) and had a couple of kids. He died in a freak accident - fell out of a tree, his leg was cut off and he bled to death. There was a court battle as to who could get his property - his children, or his relatives back in France. The children won the case.

What blew my mind? I have 2.3 percent sub Saharan African heritage, specifically from West Africa. This apparently took place from the period of the mid 1700s to early 1800s. This is most certainly from my mothers side as her ancestors have been in North America since the mid 1600s (my father's ancestors came over starting in the late 1840s).
I don't know how my mom would react to this, and especially some of my cousins. With the old "one drop rule" I would be considered to be an African American (which is laughable if you look at me. I'm about as "white" looking as you can get)!

As George Takei would say, "Oh my!" Grin

Very interesting. At the same time, I just happened to have recently watched a lecture by a geneticist regarding the use of (what sounds like) genetics in pseudoscience, and she took some time specifically to discuss this sort of testing (basically saying one must take it with a grain of salt and/or at least understand the limits of the tests and their results). If you're interested, the relevant section is cued up here.

https://youtu.be/0BuRECUOsx0?t=39m7s

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: March 31, 2017, 07:45:36 AM »

Perhaps it might not be totally accurate.
However I did some Google digging last night checking out some ancestors. Fortunate that a couple of them were well enough known that they are mentioned in some history books of the area (Natchez MS).
Found out that the man who married the daughter of the guy who died after falling out of a tree was a "mulatto", which back then could mean mixed race. The book with the info indicated that the man was part Black. He's a direct ancestor, so maybe I have my answer.

Anyway maybe some of my other sisters can get checked out, or I can do it with another company to see if I get similar results.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: March 31, 2017, 08:05:04 AM »

By the way, I also found your comments about having Native American ancestry interesting, as it is common in my area (Minnesota / Upper Midwest) for people to exaggerate any such rumors in their families. I assume that's to add what is seen as some exotic back-story to what is otherwise very much historically bland: Scandinavian, German, Polish ... that's the bulk of it, or was until the past few decades anyway, when we took in many Hmong, Liberian, and Somalian refugees, Mexican immigrants, and had increased African-American population migration. It seemed everyone had an aunt who had "discovered" some Native American connection--usually not quite believably and almost inevitably being something like a noblewoman, as you referenced!

Though of course there was a lot of intermingling here, especially in the earliest years of European exploration here, back when it was mostly just fur trappers and the like who were meeting with the native population, prior to statehood.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: March 31, 2017, 09:58:03 AM »

It's funny what kind of rules people lived by in the past. So, you've got everything except Asian ethnicity. At least African makes sense - iir, Louisiana is country with many blacks, right? I think if they trace back their genes, they'd find some from Africa.
What about 70+%? Did you pay either for the sample or report/ both? Where do you go to get this info?

Humbly apologize. I didn't notice your post while glancing through thread early this morning.
Yes, there are many Blacks in Louisiana, so it shouldn't be surprising that a fair number of "White" people whose ancestors have been here for more than 200 years could have some African ancestry. In reading about it, back in the colonial period down here (before it became part of the United States) there was a lot of race mixing, whites, blacks, various Indian tribes.

I had to pay a company to get the information. I paid them, then they sent a package with a tube that I had to spit into, close and shake, then put in an envelope to send to the lab. It took about 2 months to get results back.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: March 31, 2017, 10:09:52 AM »

Didn't notice, right.
What's the name of the company? & again, what about the other 70+%? Tell.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: March 31, 2017, 12:09:33 PM »

« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 04:55:00 AM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: April 01, 2017, 12:03:28 PM »

Took throttle body off and took apart cleaned it thoroughly, trying to catch this kickdown, sputter problem thats been rampant for a while waiting on my brother to test tps, iac and upstream 02 sensor. bogs down, then surges back to normal and fine the rest of the trip though the throttle body might needpretty much rained everyday since last thursday so havent had much time outside beside work

Surf music, Old school rap and The Seattle Sound

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Danny Greene and the Celtic Club

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: April 03, 2017, 06:16:02 AM »

Past few days...

Couple of concerts----Bach's Matthew Passion on Thursday and Dvořák's Stabat Mater (piano version) on Saturday----and a book launch on Friday.

Luckily there was Sunday to recuperate from this flurry of activity... 

Actually, I've been in mourning ever since "The Word" got voted out of the Beatles Survivor thingie. I was hoping it was fake news, but no. Grin

Glad to hear you and yours escaped the worst of the weather, Elizabeth.

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: April 03, 2017, 11:19:00 AM »

They seemed to have missed that the word was Love.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: April 15, 2017, 08:40:33 PM »

Went to store early to get supplies for today. Family and friends are here for the next few days.
Made crawfish pie. Put it into the oven for 45 minutes then went to talk to everyone a while. Conversation was good except for a few minutes when one of my sisters and my Mom got on the subject of the dreaded "P" word. Did everything possible to change the subject to something less incendiary.
After 45 minutes went to oven to take out pie. Everyone was hungry for it. But, oh no, in setting the time to cook it, I inadvertently had turned off the oven. Ack! So I had to turn it on, get it back up to the right temperature, then set for another 45 minutes, all the while apologizing profusely.
Finally it was finished cooking and the pie turned out very well.

Spent the rest of the afternoon talking about food customs. One of our guests, of German heritage, said that his specialty was Stollen, a specialty bread traditionally served around Christmas.
As the evening progressed I did food prep for the crab/shrimp stuffed mirlitons (a type of squash). Cut up plenty red bell pepper, celery and onions.
Calling it a night. Have to get up super early tomorrow to boil the mirlitons.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: April 23, 2017, 02:37:00 PM »

Ate a boiled egg. Watched Love & Mercy for the first time.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 50   Go Up
Print
Jump to: