-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:30:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  So what did we all do today?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 50   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: So what did we all do today?  (Read 435439 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: December 12, 2016, 06:10:30 AM »

Went to the New York City Ballet Nutcracker, for about the 30th time. It's a tradition now being imposed on my daughter.

Lucky daughter. Tschaikovsky is probably the most listenable classical composer on the planet.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: December 12, 2016, 06:36:12 AM »

I think the "why" of food traditions is unanswerable, or at least not satisfyingly answerable, in the same way the "why" of any other cultural artifact would be. Clothing, holidays, musics, dances, etc., none of them matter on some level. If you're simply asking "couldn't life just go on without them?" the answer is always yes, obviously it could.

But culture is an organically developed artifice that brings people together (and separates them from other people brought together by their cultures). That's why it is important to people, I think. On an existential level, we have no reason to exist. We are going to die. Life is terrifying. We are ultimately temporary and alone. Culture--including food tradition--hides that beneath layers of artifice that tie us to our families, and our neighbors, and their families, multiplying into communities, regions, and even nations.

People smell some food or other cooking in the next room and they are transported to their deceased grandparents' homes and those memories. They think of their childhoods, or of significant moments in their lives. They think of the celebrations that certain foods signify to them and they imagine meaning there. Of course there is no literal meaning there, of course they aren't actually any closer to their deceased grandparents, but sometimes literal reality is irrelevant to experience.

A person could replace a traditional Thanksgiving feast of turkey, potatoes, stuffing/dressing, green beans, brussels sprouts, pumpkin pie (or whatever your regional variation may be) and eat nutritiously acceptable meals. They could also stop going to beautiful cathedrals and worship in garages. They could stop wasting time listening to music or looking at art. They could dress in simple, practical clothes. But all of those things and many other cultural signifiers are just important on a non-practical level. The evidence that they are important is their omnipresence across the world throughout history. We can say everyone throughout history, everywhere, was acting silly and in the wrong, or we can show some humility and recognize that whether it makes practical sense or not, it's just reality.

For some better explanations, I recommend googling some studies on the subject. People are unlikely to give coherent explanations of why aspects of their own culture matter, as they are drowning within those cultures and probably don't look at it objectively. ("I don't know, we just do...")

(I'm not vouching for any of these, they just popped up with a quick googling.)

http://www.aabri.com/manuscripts/141797.pdf
http://www.sirc.org/publik/foxfood.pdf
https://books.google.com/books?id=I6lsDQAAQBAJ&pg=PA1&lpg=PA1&dq=food+traditions+study&source=bl&ots=lV2rcL7NKe&sig=6DGP2k4WMdRHqfJgoA-pGyk5Yag&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwicptCOucHQAhWhgVQKHfY3CKE4ChDoAQgzMAY#v=onepage&q=food%20traditions%20study&f=false
Just now see this, movie thread was eventful. I shall investigate these links. Thank you. In regards the answer, a lot of it makes sense, some I still disagree with. I'd say it's true, there isn't & can't be found the right kind of answer. But thanks.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: December 13, 2016, 03:06:41 AM »

I quoted when I should have modified. Not the best of starts to the day. Cool Guy 
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 05:41:30 AM by john k » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: December 25, 2016, 08:15:40 AM »

Played air hockey in the basement with my dwarf friend Diana. I invite her seldom to play this game. It's the best game, she's really good at it. The cat was judge. The sweet creature looks to & fro. Then Diana went home to dinner. She likes her mother's food. Cat said bye in polite cat tone. Diana said bye in return. She's got poodle dog Maya. I said say hello to Maya. She said she will.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: December 27, 2016, 02:13:17 AM »

On Christmas Day? Chopped, scraped, cooked, ate, drank... Followed by a massive clearing-up session during which I played the following ambient house albums:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWebqCRw7o4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3GFpH-ky38   

SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: January 04, 2017, 04:55:50 PM »

Got 100 % completion GTA III on ipad took a week(picking at it) to completely do it, smoked some with my brother and enjoyed the day until the next looooooong workdays ahead

Surf music, Old school rap and The Seattle Sound

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Danny Greene and the Celtic Club

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: January 25, 2017, 03:48:52 PM »

Set up a "rainy day" fund for my Las Vegas trip by consigning random stuff in my house.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: January 25, 2017, 04:07:19 PM »

I'll by that stained futon for $1.75.

Worked from home because I didn't feel like driving with incompetents after a (small) snowfall, started posting here again a little (and debated getting banned just for fun), and--after logging out of work, mind you--began drinking. Oh, and rolled some egg rolls (pork, scallions, ginger, garlic, chilis, and julienned broccoli, cabbage, and carrots, with store-bought wrappers), which will be fried up later along with a massive amount of some vaguely Asian something or other (chicken, onions, celery, carrots, scallions, chilis, mushrooms, ginger, garlic, etc. to be served with either rice or noodles, TBD). The vegetarian is away for the moment, so it's meat-tastic. Oh, and listening to the new Hardcore History.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: January 25, 2017, 04:24:48 PM »

Also got some cool NBA Washington Bullets stuff!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: January 25, 2017, 04:53:00 PM »

I'd consider selling my soul for a Hot Plate Williams, LaBradford Smith, or Ledell Eackles jersey.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: January 25, 2017, 04:58:35 PM »

Like you did for a Donyell Marshall or Christian Laettner jersey?

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: January 25, 2017, 05:25:01 PM »

Almost completely the opposite.

More like Ty Corbin, Stanley Roberts, Tod Day, Dennis Scott, Marko Jaric, Dario Milicic, Nemanja Bjelica...that kind of thing.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: January 31, 2017, 10:29:30 AM »

I upgraded my computer (well, beginning yesterday). I'd been getting warning remarks from websites and took the plunge (with some indispensable help from a family member). Of course the next thing is to get the computer to do what it used to do. My old Word folders and mail folders had vanished but their contents had not. That's when you realize that the internet really is your friend (most of the time). A few online instructions later most things were back the way they were!     

SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: February 12, 2017, 02:56:53 PM »

Really cool, love vintage NBA stuff!

Walked 6 miles in the fog to leave a flower at the grave of a girl who killed herself recently, it was too hard to go to her funeral plus most of the people there i couldnt stand, two-faced that never took the time to get to know her but when word got around she died, same people suddenly were her best friends and heartbroken Angry 

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: February 12, 2017, 04:48:28 PM »

Agreed on that one, I had a friend who died with all fake people at the funeral... Roll Eyes

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: February 13, 2017, 06:51:54 AM »

Walked 6 miles in the fog to leave a flower at the grave of a girl who killed herself recently, it was too hard to go to her funeral plus most of the people there i couldnt stand, two-faced that never took the time to get to know her but when word got around she died, same people suddenly were her best friends and heartbroken Angry 
You got any vintage Cavs stuff?

SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: February 18, 2017, 02:08:25 PM »

You got any vintage Cavs stuff?
a buncha stuff, a few snapback hats from the 90s, a coke bottle from a rockets/cavs game from 94 i got at a antique store in tennessee(i think) which i posted in the NBA thread..basketball cards, a mark price candy bar wrapper, assorted stuff like keychains and magnets ive accrued over the years. And bobbleheads. Just about evrythings in my storage unit, the bum i share my apt with i dont trust whatsoever but for 200 a month though..next time i go to my unit ill get some pics for ya

Beautiful day today about 66 and sun Grin cant wait for spring. Putting a new exhaust on my jeep went out and got flowmaster, spent the morning cleaning the fuel injectors all the while playing a 50s doo wop mix..

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: February 23, 2017, 10:48:04 PM »

Played air hockey with friend Daiana. Cat really likes when I invite her. He likes Daiana. Made friends with new neighbor - nice cute old lady. She's got 3 cats, dog, hamster, parakeet & tortoise. She said she just lacks pig. She likes different creatures.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: February 28, 2017, 03:19:10 AM »

Happy Mardi Gras!

Note: my avatar, which will be changed in the next day or so, is yours truly getting nowhere fast on her tricycle in her Kindergarten Mardi Gras parade back in the early part of 1963.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: February 28, 2017, 04:15:51 AM »

Happy Mardi Gras!

Note: my avatar, which will be changed in the next day or so, is yours truly getting nowhere fast on her tricycle in her Kindergarten Mardi Gras parade back in the early part of 1963.

Happy Mardi Gras to you too, Elizabeth. Nice pic!

MG always makes me think first of Paul Simon and then of this one by The Band:

https://youtu.be/-PuC7xyJsBQ

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: February 28, 2017, 06:28:29 AM »

Great song
The Band + Allen Toussaint (horn arrangements) = winning combination!

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: March 02, 2017, 06:01:38 AM »

Going to an NHL game in Washington D.C. (Warriors made the wizards game on Tuesday too expensive to buy tickets)

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: March 13, 2017, 06:11:33 AM »

On Saturday we sat out in the garden for the first time this year. And saw the first Brimstone Butterfly.

Odd----they're always the first to appear and then they vanish... 

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: March 19, 2017, 08:55:08 PM »

Ended an 8 week regimen to regain my health. Dropped 25 lbs (11.34 kg) and feel much better.
(Late last year I got quite sick; everything seemed to be breaking down physically and emotionally - something had to be done!)

Planted lemon thyme, English thyme, Greek oregano and sweet marjoram around my Rosemary bushes.
Pepper plants, cucumbers, tomatoes looking good; see some small tomatoes growing. In a couple of weeks will be able to plant basil and eggplant (aubergine).

Registered for a free online course offered by a British university, "Shakespeare and his world." Course starts tomorrow.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: March 19, 2017, 09:01:04 PM »

Ended an 8 week regimen to regain my health. Dropped 25 lbs (11.34 kg) and feel much better.
(Late last year I got quite sick; everything seemed to be breaking down physically and emotionally - something had to be done!)

Planted lemon thyme, English thyme, Greek oregano and sweet marjoram around my Rosemary bushes.
Pepper plants, cucumbers, tomatoes looking good; see some small tomatoes growing. In a couple of weeks will be able to plant basil and eggplant (aubergine).

Registered for a free online course offered by a British university, "Shakespeare and his world." Course starts tomorrow.
That's fantastic, all around.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 50   Go Up
Print
Jump to: