-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:14:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  So what did we all do today?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 50   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: So what did we all do today?  (Read 435402 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: October 06, 2016, 12:45:37 PM »

Just got through working out at the gym

Ha! I had my weekly session yesterday.

Last night I dreamt that the 14th-century invasion of Pskov by the Knights of the Teutonic Order has been transplanted into the modern age----and into my town! Not nice, as those who know the film Alexander Nevsky and the invaders' barbaric behaviour will surely agree. Boy was I glad to wake up...     

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: October 06, 2016, 07:26:14 PM »

and saw way too many disappointing rain jackets.
Disappointing as in fashion? I'm sure half of the universe doesn't know a thing about dressing well, they care what's "in". You can easily buy tasteless boring jacket. What matters is material. Check if it resists rains.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: October 11, 2016, 09:11:09 PM »

Was on my way to a talk when a "bing" went off in my car, indicating low tire pressure. I was leaving the interstate and heard a chunk a chunk sound. Pulled into a business driveway and could hear the hisssssss of the last of the air leaving the right rear tire. Called a company to change tire and put on spare (the spare, which in the 5 years of having the car had never been used, was stored under the car). The guy put the spare on, it looked almost flat and I said, aren't you going to add some air to it? He shrugged and said something along the lines of it being only on temporarily, what's the big deal?
Anyway, change of plans. Dropped off tire to have it repaired and put some air in the spare. Then went to library for a while and pulled out an Agatha Christie book to read. Will get to that on the "reading" thread.
Got Brians book in the post this evening and have finished 3 chapters. And on his recommendation, for a nightcap listened to Rosemary Clooney's "Tenderly." Oh my goodness that's wonderful!

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: October 12, 2016, 05:27:15 PM »

Worked 12 hrs, watched an ooold episode of wwf/e raw is war from 2000 now im hangin out on smileysmile skimming the new eastbay magazine

Surf music, Old school rap and The Seattle Sound

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Danny Greene and the Celtic Club

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: October 14, 2016, 07:22:06 AM »

Off for a weekend of nostalgia at my 50th high school reunion. Heading over to the local winery to meet some classmates where the drinking begins. Man, hope they've got the name tag thing goin' on.  Wink

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: October 14, 2016, 09:37:03 AM »

Nice! Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: October 14, 2016, 10:08:00 AM »

OSD, have a nice reunion for the 50th!
Just a question... has it a set end date? Grin

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: October 14, 2016, 08:28:46 PM »

2thorgil: good joke. Checked the Internet Radio site, found new genres "manele", "psytrance", "reggaeton", "kizomba", "goa". Should listen to samples of each & I'll be smarter by 0,0000000000000000001%.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 02:37:32 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: October 17, 2016, 08:03:31 PM »

Woke up around 4:15 and decided to turn on the radio to a St Louis station that I can get a strong signal until sunrise (St Louis is about 965 km from my house). The program, Overnight America, was on and the host said that he would be interviewing some musicians that hour including Mike Love. So stayed up to listen. It was a "soft" interview, Mike mainly talking about all the family gatherings with the Loves and Wilsons, making music. Nothing negative except a few words about Murry. It probably will be available to listen on the Overnight America with Jon Grayson, or the KMOX website.
Then let BooBoo the dog out for a few minutes, then went back to bed.
Woke up, made coffee, made sure Mom was taken care of, then cleaned cat pans - a never ending task as the cats are prolific peepers and poopers...
Watched an early 1990s TV movie about the Bay Area earthquake of 1989, where people in the US found out about it from the TV broadcast of a World Series baseball game in San Francisco between the SF Giants and the Oakland A's (remember hearing the announcer say "we're having an earth---" and the power went out.)
Made list of groceries to buy, including what's needed for pumpkin bread.
Watching baseball game tonight between Cleveland and Toronto (cheering for Cleveland)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 08:06:41 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: October 22, 2016, 08:06:16 PM »

Brought Mom to get her hearing checked and hearing aids adjusted.
Very sleepy for much of the day.
But later watched North by Northwest, followed by Jaws, on TV.
Then watched the last few innings of the Chicago-Los Angeles baseball series. The Chicago Cubs won the game.
The Cubs and Cleveland Indians are in the World Series championship. This is so historic and exciting.
The last time the Cubs won the World Series, Tsar Nicholas II was ruling in Russia. The last time the Indians won, David Marks was a baby.
So I'll definitely be following that this coming week.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 08:10:03 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: October 22, 2016, 08:26:46 PM »

Go Cubs Go! Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: October 29, 2016, 09:04:37 AM »

OSD, have a nice reunion for the 50th!
Just a question... has it a set end date? Grin

LOL LOL  In the middle of the reunion dinner, I stood up and announced that it was over and time for everyone to immediately leave. I was hated before that but then I saw someone sprinkle a white powder all over my half eaten chicken.  Huh

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: November 02, 2016, 09:51:27 PM »

Cubs win!!  Cubs win!!

w00t! w00t!

Transcendental Meditation Drum Transcendental Meditation

Then played the BBs "it's trying to say (baseball's on)". It went well with watching the cheering crowds and Cubs players celebrating.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 04:19:19 AM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: November 02, 2016, 10:01:23 PM »

Go Cubs go! Cool

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: November 07, 2016, 07:30:57 PM »

Dealing with something that hadn't occurred here in over a month and a half - rain. And lots of it.
Seems like a month and a half's worth of rain fell today, causing lots of street flooding.
Unfortunately, more tomorrow. Worried about how I'm going to navigate my Mom tomorrow in the wheelchair, in the rain, to vote in the election.
But set that aside for a couple of hours and watched a fine documentary, "Bob Dylan: In and Out of the Folk Revival 1961-65".
What a genius!

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: November 09, 2016, 06:53:15 AM »

What a genius!
Definitely not as melodist & musician - he's competent but not ace guitar player, simplistic tunes etc. & don't forget the voice which is godawful. Frankly, I am completely apathetic about the lyrics. In the song, music is fore element. goes without saying.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: November 09, 2016, 07:56:52 AM »

What a genius!
Definitely not as melodist & musician - he's competent but not ace guitar player, simplistic tunes etc. & don't forget the voice which is godawful. Frankly, I am completely apathetic about the lyrics. In the song, music is fore element. goes without saying.

Well I must respectfully disagree concerning the importance of the music in the case of Dylan and others such as Woody Guthrie and Phil Ochs. Vocal quality and virtuosity in playing an instrument are not so important.
The lyrics to them take precedence, with the music in some cases just being some old folk tune that fits the meter.
Maybe because I'm older and grew up during the Cold War and the turbulent sixties, his songs for me have stood the test of time.
With God on Our Side sends shivers even now.
Oh well.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: November 12, 2016, 02:33:12 AM »

Today I decided to return after my sabbatical. A break's all very well but there are some folks I can only converse with via this forum. I must admit it was interesting looking in on Smiley and PSF on equal terms for a while... 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: November 12, 2016, 06:20:56 AM »

The day's only recently begun, so all I've done so far was have some breakfast. But once the sun warms the air a little bit--it's only 36 F at the moment--I'll get outside to rake the mountains of leaves coating the lawn in a similar way that snow no doubt will before too long. Once that's done, I'll pick up some beer or wine and make some plans for a suitable dinner for my evening of flipping between MN Gophers football and MN Timberwolves basketball on TV. After a long week (season, year, whatever) of political obsession, it'll be fun to zone out on something wholly inconsequential.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: November 20, 2016, 04:13:59 PM »

JohnK, how did you fare with the bad weather in the Netherlands. Just saw video of planes having to abort landings in Amsterdam due to high winds.

My day was a lot calmer. Made mirliton (chayote squash) bread - tastes like zucchini (courgette) bread.
Am baking a vegetarian mirliton casserole for a friend of mine. Am "winging it" as much as possible. He wanted lots of mushrooms, lots of tomatoes, and lots of cheese. To this I added onions, peppers, celery and garlic, thyme, parsley, plus bread crumbs.

Bought a turkey for Thanksgiving. Mom insists on this even though none of us except her care for it.

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: November 20, 2016, 05:26:51 PM »

Went on a run—new route this time. Ran along a beach, which was kinda fun. Then there was a mile or so with a decent incline, so that wasn't kinda fun.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: November 20, 2016, 06:21:49 PM »

Bought a turkey for Thanksgiving. Mom insists on this even though none of us except her care for it.
I chatted with smb. here via message & asked if there is anybody that doesn't serve turkey at Thanksgiving. They said it's only once a year so why not but maybe some people cook sth. else? I find it amazing that many would be loyal with traditions. But you say that you don't care - good for you.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: November 20, 2016, 07:26:52 PM »

Well, it's not so much that I don't care for traditions - they definitely have their place.
It's simply that with all the other things I'll be cooking on Thanksgiving, the turkey is just a big pain in the neck. After cooking it is either too dry, or parts of it are undercooked. And  it's taking up space in the refrigerator. I bought it frozen today and hope that it will be thawed out by Thursday ( it weighs 11.5 pounds - 5.22 kg). Last year I put a similar sized turkey in on Monday and it was still partially frozen on Thursday.

I suggested picking up a turkey that was already cooked. Mom freaked out. She "rules the roost" so that's that.
Thanksgiving is our big family meal of the year. Christmas on the other hand tends to be more laid back with no regular menu.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: November 21, 2016, 03:27:21 AM »

JohnK, how did you fare with the bad weather in the Netherlands. Just saw video of planes having to abort landings in Amsterdam due to high winds.

Yes, it was quite wild (by Dutch standards anyway) but I and my family weren't affected. Thanks for asking!

As for any unwanted turkey: I have an address you can send it to----in Europe, where we still have to wait ages for ours!  Grin   

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: November 22, 2016, 07:09:50 AM »

2NOLA BB Fan: we disagree. I regard the food traditions stupid. Besides, turkey works for big fam gatherings.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 07:50:30 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 50   Go Up
Print
Jump to: