-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:05:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  So what did we all do today?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 50   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: So what did we all do today?  (Read 435376 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: September 22, 2016, 06:49:27 AM »

No, the other cover is better. Mike is old, therefore, it's logical to use picture of him old.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: September 22, 2016, 09:20:03 PM »

A crazy day.
Had to try and "put a fire out" with my Mom's caregiver (she comes for a few hours Monday-Friday so that I can go out). With all the unrest going on, my Mom, an old-school White Southerner, thinks she knows it all and was lecturing D, who is Black, about what's best for Black people. Understandably D doesn't appreciate bring talked down to. The two of us got headaches.

I left for a while to read at a coffeehouse, where a sweet dog welcomed one and all and kept the patrons company.
Then went to store to get items for Sunday dinner, including spaghetti squash. We love this squash which is used instead of pasta. The hardest part is cutting it in half (the halves are then baked 45 minutes to an hour) without slicing my hand. Usually will get a couple of cuts on my fingers...

Read the wacky news that a group will try on Saturday afternoon to take down our iconic statue of Andrew Jackson, using ropes. And they asked that the police leave them alone as they do it (fat chance).  I personally can't stand Jackson, he's a monumental "piece of work" who was a slaveowner and responsible for many deaths of Native Americans (look up "Trail of Tears"). But this is an issue which needs to be discussed more. The most famous photographs of my city pretty much all involve that statue with the old St Louis Cathedral in the background. There are other, even more odious, statues that can come down first.

Reading a post elsewhere about a BW concert on YouTube, watched it (Negev Dinner 2015 featuring Beach Boys is the title). It was a nearly one hour benefit that Brian and company did. Relaxed and listened to it.
Funny moment - on Good Vibrations, at the chorus ("I'm picking up good vibrations...") BooBoo our dog started howling. Guess he was feelin those vibrations  Grin

Off to bed now

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: September 23, 2016, 06:07:16 AM »

Dogs are nice but cats superior, fact. police Speaking of, fed the cat, bought new blanket for his basket - it's very dandy, with positive colors (orange, bright yellow etc). Then made chocolate cookies & fresh tea. good thing about living with cat is that the cat doesn't like these foods, so there's many cookies left for tomorrow.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: September 23, 2016, 12:34:15 PM »

Then made chocolate cookies & fresh tea. good thing about living with cat is that the cat doesn't like these foods, so there's many cookies left for tomorrow.

LOL

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: September 23, 2016, 03:18:07 PM »

Read the wacky news that a group will try on Saturday afternoon to take down our iconic statue of Andrew Jackson, using ropes. And they asked that the police leave them alone as they do it (fat chance).  I personally can't stand Jackson, he's a monumental "piece of work" who was a slaveowner and responsible for many deaths of Native Americans (look up "Trail of Tears"). But this is an issue which needs to be discussed more. The most famous photographs of my city pretty much all involve that statue with the old St Louis Cathedral in the background. There are other, even more odious, statues that can come down first.

That's an extremely interesting and important topic, in my opinion, as we have in recent years seen an increase in this kind of thing. On one hand, I absolutely believe we ought not teach history as mythology, especially as what some people sometimes seem to want to treat as religion: founders, early leaders, infallible. That's nonsense. But on the other hand, to remove these people (or incidents, or whatever suits the situation) from history altogether because they don't fit modern sensibilities is absurd. I've heard generally of this Jackson statue being controversial, and of course Princeton has had much publicity recently with its various commemorative buildings, rooms, plaques, or whatever else to Woodrow Wilson.

I'm not quick to recommend removing such things. To me, that is pretending we were as we are, there has never been dissent from modern acceptability, the end. Conversely, there are some symbols that I absolutely don't like seeing remain prominent, such as confederate flags, because the "heritage" they represent is inherently intertwined with slavery. (We can recognize that the confederacy existed, and even that good people fought for what they considered a loyal cause for their states, without celebrating what causes a large minority of our fellow citizens very serious offense.)

Obviously Russia, or more properly, the USSR, is famous for its rewriting of history over the past century or so. I don't want to see America to pursue that kind of course.

To make this a relevant post, what I did today was work from home to let in contractors who are supposed to be redoing my bathroom. Alas, floods throughout the state kept them busy on emergency jobs, so that instead my bathroom remained untouched today, in a mostly torn-apart state. I've been happier. But on the other hand, I'm not victim to the flooding. So it could be worse.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: September 24, 2016, 11:43:45 AM »

That's an extremely interesting and important topic, in my opinion, as we have in recent years seen an increase in this kind of thing. On one hand, I absolutely believe we ought not teach history as mythology, especially as what some people sometimes seem to want to treat as religion: founders, early leaders, infallible. That's nonsense. But on the other hand, to remove these people (or incidents, or whatever suits the situation) from history altogether because they don't fit modern sensibilities is absurd. I've heard generally of this Jackson statue being controversial, and of course Princeton has had much publicity recently with its various commemorative buildings, rooms, plaques, or whatever else to Woodrow Wilson.

I'm not quick to recommend removing such things. To me, that is pretending we were as we are, there has never been dissent from modern acceptability, the end. Conversely, there are some symbols that I absolutely don't like seeing remain prominent, such as confederate flags, because the "heritage" they represent is inherently intertwined with slavery. (We can recognize that the confederacy existed, and even that good people fought for what they considered a loyal cause for their states, without celebrating what causes a large minority of our fellow citizens very serious offense.)

Obviously Russia, or more properly, the USSR, is famous for its rewriting of history over the past century or so. I don't want to see America to pursue that kind of course.

To make this a relevant post, what I did today was work from home to let in contractors who are supposed to be redoing my bathroom. Alas, floods throughout the state kept them busy on emergency jobs, so that instead my bathroom remained untouched today, in a mostly torn-apart state. I've been happier. But on the other hand, I'm not victim to the flooding. So it could be worse.
I guess I wonder about the distinction between flying the confederate flag and raising statues to similarly abhorrent symbols? I do see a difference in that one involves more action, while once that statue is there, allowing it to remain is passive, but is that difference enough to make a distinction?
I'm not strong either way, on the Jackson or Woodrow Wilson thing; I can see both sides and don't feel committed at this point. I do feel committed about the confederate flag, but my lack of commitment regarding the former is making me question my commitment to the latter.
I had a nice lunch and am heading out to the dog park.
SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: September 25, 2016, 06:14:22 PM »

Shot paintballs at hilary & trump signs.. dont care for either  LOL.  
 Laughed at the guy down the street who keeps having his trump sign stolen off his 'property' by this black dude who lives the next street over  LOL. Called the cops police like our tax dollars should be wasted on that Roll Eyes.  the cops dont care LOL

« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 06:15:22 PM by SurfRapGrungeFiend » Logged

Surf music, Old school rap and The Seattle Sound

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Danny Greene and the Celtic Club

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: September 27, 2016, 04:26:58 AM »

Shot paintballs at hilary & trump signs.. dont care for either  LOL.  
 Laughed at the guy down the street who keeps having his trump sign stolen off his 'property' by this black dude who lives the next street over  LOL. Called the cops police like our tax dollars should be wasted on that Roll Eyes.  the cops dont care LOL

LOL LOL

Yesterday I assembled Toothbrush Man out of Lego. (I already have Baker Man, who gets wheeled into position as a reminder to me to get a new loaf out of the freezer that evening.) TM is to help me remember to brush our little dog's teeth. Obviously, we can't have a dog's toothbrush standing around all day in the living room. He's a type of dog whose teeth get brown very easily and very quickly, which means he then needs them cleaned under anaesthetic, which is no fun for him (or for us). So it's up to me now. He hates it. I can sympathize----toothbrushes are refined instruments of torture.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: September 28, 2016, 09:25:59 PM »

I congratulate you in trying to brush your dog's teeth. Our pup really should get his teeth brushed more often but he is so hyper.

Took Mom to Doctor. Got back shortly before noon. Just after noon went online and got good tickets for Brian and Co., who are coming here at the end of March.
Wanted to catch the Beatles documentary (Eight Days a Week) at a local theatre in the afternoon but got too sleepy. So will probably have to wait for the DVD.

After dinner, watched the documentary "Muscle Shoals", about the legendary recording and session musicians in that little town in Northern Alabama.
I was familiar with it in the 70s, but was pleasantly surprised to see that favorites of mine such as Wilson Pickett, Aretha Franklin, and Etta James recorded there in the 60s. And that the incredible rhythm sections on these songs were played by white guys, most of whom grew up in the area.

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: October 02, 2016, 02:18:25 PM »

This morning I cooked a full English breakfast for four.

This afternoon I dismantled numerous Lego structures and popped their bits into a plastic bag each.  

This evening I posted the day's second palindrome, explaining how I made it.    
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 02:18:54 PM by john k » Logged

Scaroline No
« Reply #360 on: October 02, 2016, 02:37:08 PM »

After dinner, watched the documentary "Muscle Shoals", about the legendary recording and session musicians in that little town in Northern Alabama.
I was familiar with it in the 70s, but was pleasantly surprised to see that favorites of mine such as Wilson Pickett, Aretha Franklin, and Etta James recorded there in the 60s. And that the incredible rhythm sections on these songs were played by white guys, most of whom grew up in the area.

Nice! One of the best music documentaries I've seen, highly recommend to all. The one about the Wrecking Crew is equally fantastic, too... I'm sure that one's been posted about before Smiley
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: October 03, 2016, 01:23:40 AM »

I have returned from a weekend-long field trip to a local mountain to collect data for an ecology class.

I'm tired and dealing with wasp stings and probably dirty. But I had a good time.

And now, I await the return of someone else.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: October 03, 2016, 01:56:40 AM »

I have returned from a weekend-long field trip to a local mountain to collect data for an ecology class.

I'm tired and dealing with wasp stings and probably dirty. But I had a good time.

Hi, M. Sounds like it's "all systems go" in your part of the world these days. :=)

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: October 03, 2016, 06:45:00 PM »

Hi, M. Sounds like it's "all systems go" in your part of the world these days. :=)
Happiness is a groovy thing.  Throw beads and flowers into the sky, they come back down diamonds strung on rainbow threads.

Important to have the right atmosphere.  Just the right amount of mist in the air.  You need that to make rainbows show.

I saw that in the photo you posted this morning, Mari.

As Paul said, Get on the Right Thing.  Good Times Coming.
love,  -Will

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: October 03, 2016, 06:47:11 PM »

oh, I spent the day posting, backstage and out in public.  And then I had to wash clothes.  That's life.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: October 03, 2016, 09:00:46 PM »

Went to usual coffeehouse for coffee and reading. Don't usually go on a Monday and there were different baristas who had the TV on a news channel. Guess what they were yapping about? Ugh! Can't get away from it.  Angry

Got tickets for my sister and me to see the musical Jersey Boys in December.
Debating whether to get tickets to the ARW concert (3 members/former members of Yes). Love Yes music, but the main reason I loved them was because of Chris Squire, who's no longer with us.

Tried to see if there were tickets for The Beach Boys show in Biloxi (1 1/2 hours from here) for Friday night. Waited too long, pretty much sold out and there are no rooms available anywhere near there as I hate driving at night. Found out why the BBs play there every year at this time - there's a huge vintage car festival going on, with cars cruising up and down the Mississippi Gulf Coast. Most cars are from the 50s and 60s but a few Model As or Ts show up as well. Guess when they get bugged driving up and down that same old strip, they'll stop for a while to see Mike, Bruce and co.

As a weather freak, spent the evening monitoring various weather boards concerning Major Hurricane Matthew, which is set to lay waste to poor Haiti, then Cuba, the Bahamas, then...

« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 04:46:38 AM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: October 03, 2016, 11:23:52 PM »

Watched the Vikings vs. Giants game tonight, Monday Night Footbal.  Was quite fun.  Vikings won.

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: October 04, 2016, 09:08:48 AM »

Happiness is a groovy thing.  Throw beads and flowers into the sky, they come back down diamonds strung on rainbow threads.

Important to have the right atmosphere.  Just the right amount of mist in the air.  You need that to make rainbows show.

love,  -Will

Can't believe it.  Bubs put up a rainbow road picture this morning!

I'm off to the doctor in a few hours for my three month check-up.  Yeah, every three months.  Those watchers!

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: October 04, 2016, 09:17:28 AM »

love,  -Will

Can't believe it.  Bubs put up a rainbow road picture this morning!

I'm off to the doctor in a few hours for my three month check-up.  Yeah, every three months.  Those watchers!

Some great pictures there from Bubs. (Couldn't find M's photo.) Would you or M wish him all the best from me when you next speak to him? A move like that is always emotionally and physically draining. I took the plunge in '74 when I left the UK for a completely unknown Netherlands. Worked out well in the end though. :=)

All the best with that check-up, Will. 

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: October 04, 2016, 09:18:57 AM »

Best wishes for good health Will! Smiley

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: October 04, 2016, 02:58:52 PM »

I had a good check up.  Lost eight more pounds, I actually haven't gained a pound since 2008.  That's the everyday goal for me.  I've lost sixty-eight pounds in those eight years.  Sounds slow, but slow is the best.  I'm down to 193 on a 5'8" frame.  A1c continues to go down.  Yeah, I have the "everybody has it in America" -dreaded T2D for the last ten years.  This was also my yearly check, so blood work.  I should get those results soon.  Doc doesn't anticipate any problems.  I feel great.

John, Mari's photo of a hillside near Seattle is in the tread itself, not one of Bubs.  He posted the rainbow pic in his InstaGram set. -Will

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: October 04, 2016, 03:14:13 PM »

John, Mari's photo of a hillside near Seattle is in the tread itself, not one of Bubs.  He posted the rainbow pic in his InstaGram set. -Will

Thanks, Will. Wow----that's quite some picture. And glad to hear things went well at the doc's.

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: October 06, 2016, 03:09:38 AM »

i'm making some fun lists.

earlier, i ate too much food and saw way too many disappointing rain jackets.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: October 06, 2016, 09:29:56 AM »

Happy National Poetry Day (in the UK)
Listened to BBC World Service which had a nice feature about poetry.
Then heard Prince Charles read Seamus Heaney's poem "The Shipping Forecast". Thought that was funny.

A little later I pulled into a petrol station to get gassed up. There was a large group of college aged kids there, on their way from up north to the Baton Rouge area to help with the ongoing cleanup after the catastrophic floods a number of weeks back.
Bless 'em.
As bad as the flooding/destruction was west of here, it pales in comparison with what could be happening later on in Florida. Have a sister and her family who live in south Jacksonville. She works in a hospital emergency room and will have to be there for the storm. Hope she doesn't get too stressed out, as she and her daughter have Lupus, and stress causes her to have bad flare ups.

Will go to store to get some items. One will be a bag of Jolly Ranchers, sour candies that I suck on during stressful times, as will be the case this evening and tomorrow seeing what Hurricane Matthew does. (In case you're wondering, my favorite flavor is the sour apple)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 09:30:32 AM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #374 on: October 06, 2016, 11:07:18 AM »

Just got through working out at the gym

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 50   Go Up
Print
Jump to: