-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:15:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  So what did we all do today?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 50   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: So what did we all do today?  (Read 435431 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: September 03, 2016, 02:34:24 PM »

Love travel books and would appreciate suggestions for further reading. Particularly love books from around 100 years or so ago.

I've always loved this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Gentle-Art-Tramping-Graham-Stephen/dp/140863273X

Ideally you want one with a blank or, at worst, abstract cover. A cover picture spoils one's reading pleasure. Of course, you could always make your own dust jacket...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: September 03, 2016, 03:15:50 PM »

Thanks!  Smiley

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: September 03, 2016, 06:43:57 PM »

been cooking good things all day.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: September 05, 2016, 05:12:19 AM »

In the past week watched the movies "Hills have eyes 2", "Harry Potter 6-7", "Jurassic Park", "Sherlock Holmes", "Ghost Ship".

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: September 05, 2016, 05:42:45 AM »

In the past week watched the movies "Hills have eyes 2", "Harry Potter 6-7", "Jurassic Park", "Sherlock Holmes", "Ghost Ship".

May I ask which Sherlock Holmes, RR?

And thanks for removing your post in "The Welcome Thread". :=)   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: September 05, 2016, 06:31:19 AM »

With Robert Downey-Jr. It suffers from boring script but the main cast - Sherlock & Dr. Watson - is right imo.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #331 on: September 05, 2016, 03:47:03 PM »

« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 03:49:06 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: September 06, 2016, 01:19:56 AM »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

A Sleuth for the 21st Century----one of the most brilliant TV series ever... 

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: September 07, 2016, 02:33:53 AM »

I repainted the number of our house on our wheelie bin...

...in Roman numerals.

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 07, 2016, 02:50:39 AM »

That's pretty badass, John. I hope you had fun Grin.

Sigh... It's nearly 3am and I'm just about to fall asleep.

Also, music discovery has been hoth a process of me listening to new music, but also finding new meaning in both new and familiar songs.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 02:52:44 AM by undercover-m » Logged

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 08, 2016, 03:23:58 PM »

Picking at writing some of my books i got 6 im working on but 2 are really coming along,  worked on my 97' XJ sport 4x4 some early winterizing to the undercarriage.  now im hanging out with my black labs, drinking a crystal pepsi

Surf music, Old school rap and The Seattle Sound

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Danny Greene and the Celtic Club

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 08, 2016, 06:08:07 PM »

Picking at writing some of my books i got 6 im working on but 2 are really coming along,  worked on my 97' XJ sport 4x4 some early winterizing to the undercarriage.  now im hanging out with my black labs, drinking a crystal pepsi
Are you a writer?

Also, never heard of crystal pepsi...
Google has made me understand where it gets its name. Cool.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 08, 2016, 08:07:22 PM »

Got kind of stressful today. Family stuff. Gave myself a five minute "pity party" then went on with the day.
Turned on TV. Just what I needed - the station was showing "Brian Wilson and Friends." Brought my blood pressure down. :-)

Then watched a Charlie Chaplin documentary, about his early days before building his own studio. Discussed how he used more tape making one of his 20 minute masterpieces (The Immigrant, 1917) than the 3 hour DW Griffith movie, Intolerance. During this time he'd go to the studio not knowing exactly what would happen but would let everything slowly develop. Kind of like Brian with GV.

Being the 50th anniversary of Star Trek, BBC America is showing a marathon of all the original episodes. Watching that now and will tune in for more tomorrow.
Live long and prosper, y'all!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 08:09:10 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: September 10, 2016, 03:22:28 AM »

Live long and prosper, y'all!

I echo that sentiment, Elizabeth. ;=)

I've spent the last three days up to my ears in the music of Sergei Prokofiev, the featured composer in this year's local music festival. Three evenings of stunning music for orchestra, with and without choir and soloists----and a phenomenal violinist (see the "classical" topic)...  
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 03:07:41 AM by john k » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 11, 2016, 03:29:21 AM »

My day will be mainly taken up with two activities: cooking lasagna for nine (see the recipes topic) and doing my little walk. Let me explain.

I've been going to the physiotherapist for my left knee, which is well buggered. On my last visit he prescribed me a set of walking exercises----all in a straight line and some involving bending the knees. I've made it more interesting by setting it to music (I'll spare you the details) using an early 1960s song that came to mind immediately (although I had to find out who sang it). And it works wonderfully well. The main problem is keeping my balance! Apparently that's a good thing, as it adds a side-to-side movement. This is the song in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Krn4HEA4iV8

SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: September 11, 2016, 05:55:48 PM »

Are you a writer?

Also, never heard of crystal pepsi...
Google has made me understand where it gets its name. Cool.

Aspiring, fun hobby that clears my mind..  Crystal pepsi is a novelty drink from the 1990s not bad pretty much tastes like pepsi n sprite together

Today, my exhaust fell apart at cat while driving on freeway, still drivable(clamped it)  just now it sounds wicked loud like a race car  LOL.    Dug around my mom & stepdads attic and tried to get his ooold 80s stereo from him with record player built in. He wouldnt budge of course

Surf music, Old school rap and The Seattle Sound

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Danny Greene and the Celtic Club

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 11, 2016, 06:30:19 PM »

I've been going to the physiotherapist for my left knee, which is well buggered. On my last visit he prescribed me a set of walking exercises----all in a straight line and some involving bending the knees. I've made it more interesting by setting it to music (I'll spare you the details) using an early 1960s song that came to mind immediately (although I had to find out who sang it). And it works wonderfully well. The main problem is keeping my balance! Apparently that's a good thing, as it adds a side-to-side movement. This is the song in question:

Oh I need to walk as well, but it has been so hot. Instead have been following on FB a priest who's getting into shape to take an almost 1000 km pilgrimage in Spain. As he walks he's posting beautiful pictures of the Dutch countryside.
I love that song you posted, but fear that I would have trouble walking to it without falling on my face. Would have to practice before going out in public!
This morning, I had the (mis)fortune to hear "Surfin Bird" by the Trashmen. Watched the video online featuring a Dutch comedian providing choreography for the second half of the song. Maybe I can walk and wave my hands around like that in the park. Would scare wild dogs and muggers away.   Grin
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 06:32:10 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 14, 2016, 08:00:14 PM »

Ate some homemade banana bread, bought a book and two albums, and hung out with my better half. Smiley

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: September 15, 2016, 02:20:39 AM »

Ate some homemade banana bread, bought a book and two albums, and hung out with my better half. Smiley

Assuming it's the same better half, do give him my regards. :=)

What did you think of the Jonathan Safran Foer novel?

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: September 15, 2016, 05:46:08 AM »

My day will be mainly taken up with two activities: cooking lasagna for nine (see the recipes topic) and doing my little walk. Let me explain.

By popular request, this is the footwork involved. The two-bar opening riff sets the pace----each "step" is a slow count to four over two bars. Every step forwards or backwards (always in a straight line) is followed by bending the knees while remaining upright (or as upright as possible, lol). Keep in mind that there are four steps per verse (no pun intended) and for the instrumental break and six for the chorus ("You just walk..."). Good luck!

Intro and verse I: Ten forward steps toe-to-heel
Chorus and verse II: Ten backward steps toe-to-heel
Chorus and solo: Ten forward steps one footstep apart
Verse III and chorus: Ten backward steps one footstep apart
Verse IV and the first four bars of chorus: Six large steps forward
Last eight bars of chorus and fade: Six large steps backward

Begin as far back as you can or you might find yourself walking into a wall just before verse III...

« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 05:48:49 AM by john k » Logged

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: September 16, 2016, 03:25:43 PM »

Assuming it's the same better half, do give him my regards. :=)

What did you think of the Jonathan Safran Foer novel?
It is. I guess I'll be keeping him around for some time Tongue.

I haven't finished it. I've yet to finish a JSF novel, not because I dislike the writing, but the intense emotions in it were a bit too much at the time.

I picked up some short stories by Dostoevsky, so maybe that'll take up my reading in the meantime.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: September 18, 2016, 08:25:22 PM »

John, I'll give your walking routine a try. But I might end up doing the "Hokey Pokey."  Grin

The weekend was wonderful. On Saturday a group of us met at a house on the Mississippi gulf coast (in the town of Waveland) for a day of "spiritual reflection." The topic was "Mercy." During the breaks I'd sit on the front porch and look out over the Gulf, watching the gentle waves and the swooping sea birds. Much of the day a gentle rain fell. Incredibly peaceful.
Today I got up real early and made crawfish pie. It finished baking right before going to a church service. After we got back we went to my sister's house in rural Mississippi for lunch. Four generations of family were there. Along with the crawfish pie, my sister made a great chicken and andouille sausage gumbo, plus there was salad, bread, and lots of dessert. Add to that wonderful conversation that thankfully steered clear of politics (we don't see eye to eye on that subject to say the least) and it was a most enjoyable day. Hated to leave but hope we can do it again soon.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: September 19, 2016, 01:13:29 AM »

John, I'll give your walking routine a try. But I might end up doing the "Hokey Pokey."  Grin

The weekend was wonderful. On Saturday a group of us met at a house on the Mississippi gulf coast (in the town of Waveland) for a day of "spiritual reflection." The topic was "Mercy." During the breaks I'd sit on the front porch and look out over the Gulf, watching the gentle waves and the swooping sea birds. Much of the day a gentle rain fell. Incredibly peaceful.
Today I got up real early and made crawfish pie. It finished baking right before going to a church service. After we got back we went to my sister's house in rural Mississippi for lunch. Four generations of family were there. Along with the crawfish pie, my sister made a great chicken and andouille sausage gumbo, plus there was salad, bread, and lots of dessert. Add to that wonderful conversation that thankfully steered clear of politics (we don't see eye to eye on that subject to say the least) and it was a most enjoyable day. Hated to leave but hope we can do it again soon.

Glad to hear the weekend went so well. You better make sure you're insured before attempting my walk. Funnily, you're not the first person to mention the "Hokey Pokey" in that context...

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: September 22, 2016, 06:17:56 AM »

Bought this. I found it in the music section
of my local friendly bookshop----filed under B:

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: September 22, 2016, 06:44:33 AM »

That book cover is a lot better than what we got here in the US.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 50   Go Up
Print
Jump to: