-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:41:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  So what did we all do today?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 50   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: So what did we all do today?  (Read 435327 times)
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: August 13, 2016, 04:09:42 PM »

Drank some white wine and nibbled things at the lake with my better half.

Read that and thought, "how nice." Then read it again and had a good laugh!
Anyway...

After a rough morning, and having a headache, decided to listen to a 60s satellite channel which does a different Top 40 list each week (from US Pop charts). This was for the week Aug13-20, 1964. Well, I knew right away what one of the songs was...
There were 4 Beatles songs this week - I'll Cry Instead, And I Love Her, A Hard Days Night - and so help me - Ain't She Sweet!! How in Hades did that song make the top 20 (it was 19 this week). It's more of a Tony Sheridan song, no Ringo... As Range Rover A1 would "say", smh!

However there were some great songs - Under the Boardwalk, Maybe I Know (my favorite Lesley Gore song).
Rag Doll - tried to sing high notes at end, and my cat bit me - guess I was hurting his ears LOL.
Handy Man by Del Shannon - this song sounds so much like a Beach Boys song (particularly their cover of Do You Want to Dance). Del Shannon's regular (not falsetto) voice sounds so much like Dennis.

#15 this week was I Get Around. After playing this side B was played, Don't Worry Baby. Then to keep the vibe going, they played an extra (song on the charts but not in the top 40), Bruce and Terry's Summer Means Fun. Then Jan and Dean's Little Old Lady. Finally some songs later, to keep up on a sort of Beach Boys thing, the number 2 song was Dean Martin's signature song, Everybody Loves Somebody.

Sometime while listening to this, noticed that my headache disappeared.

Went back to reality briefly, seeing dramatic rescues that took place west of here, a man trapped in a tree for 10 hours, another a rescue of a woman and her dog as their car went underwater.

Needed to go back to music. Watching right now the Dylan 30 concert which sounds great. George Harrison's on now. Then there will be a documentary about Elvis, then Brian's soundstage concert, then Ringo...
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 04:12:03 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 14, 2016, 11:41:10 PM »

I've no idea what "smh" is. I use "sth.", short for "something". & Del's voice doesn't sound like Dennis'. In "Handy Man" or anywhere. Al sang "Runaway", fyi. Dennis' voice isn't strong, for starters. Listen to Del & Al back to back. They've got energy in delivery & they sing with gusto. That said, Del is Del & Al is Al.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 15, 2016, 01:07:01 AM »

Went back to reality briefly, seeing dramatic rescues that took place west of here, a man trapped in a tree for 10 hours, another a rescue of a woman and her dog as their car went underwater.

Saw the car rescue you mentioned on TV. One happy ending, at least (although happy is perhaps the wrong word).

I do hope you and yours are safe in this horrendous situation.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 15, 2016, 03:58:24 AM »

I've no idea what "smh" is. I use "sth.", short for "something". & Del's voice doesn't sound like Dennis'. In "Handy Man" or anywhere. Al sang "Runaway", fyi. Dennis' voice isn't strong, for starters. Listen to Del & Al back to back. They've got energy in delivery & they sing with gusto. That said, Del is Del & Al is Al.

Sorry, got almost no sleep the night before posting that.
Guess, just to my ears, Handy Man on my radio (outside of instrumental break) sounded sort of BBs like. But YMMV, or sth. :-)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 04:19:23 AM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 15, 2016, 04:56:47 PM »

Guess, just to my ears, Handy Man on my radio (outside of instrumental break) sounded sort of BBs like.
BBs-like, I'll give you that. But nobody can possibly compare Del's voice with Dennis'. Listen to "Little girl (you're my miss America)", "Celebrate the news", Pacific Ocean Blue. Then listen to any of Del's hits. Different diction, inflection, phrasing, vocal style etc. If you'd like to hear "Dennis", check the song "Kites are fun" by Free Design.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: August 16, 2016, 04:52:43 PM »

Brought Mom to dentist this morning. Third time is the charm as the saying goes - her denture finally feels good.

Then went to a pet place and bought some bags of both cat and dog food, plus some leashes. A friend of ours is using her business as a collection point for pet things to be sent to places taking care of homeless/stray dogs and cats from the flooding around here. Will try to get some animal crates and water bowls to them as well in the coming days.
This means a lot to our family as we are big animal lovers, and were deeply saddened and angered by the tens of thousands of animals killed during and after Hurricane Katrina in 2005. Back then, people couldn't bring their pets with them if they were going to shelters. Some, including a next door neighbor, didn't evacuate their homes as a result (his cat was his "best friend."). Some in the suburbs were rescued with their pets and brought to a dry building. Then they were told they had to go somewhere else and couldn't take their pets. What happened to those pets? Someone took it upon himself to shoot all of them dead!! No one was ever so much as reprimanded for it ( the excuse, the pets could have carried diseases blah blah blah).
So everyone's watching the government officials closely now to make sure the animals are taken care of.

Plus there are numerous places to donate food, clothing, baby supplies to the many thousands of people who are now homeless (and that number is growing as the flooding is still spreading). My sister, a nurse, will be doing volunteer work with the Red Cross.  It's a way for us to "Pay it Forward" -  help those now suffering, as we had been helped in 2005. It will take many years to recover, but we're resilient.

"Louisiana, Louisiana, they're trying to wash us away..." - Randy Newman
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 04:57:38 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 17, 2016, 07:55:17 AM »

What an insanely cruel thing to do, shooting defenceless pets for no good reason. Words fail me. All courage to you and yours in dealing with this and other horrors.   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 17, 2016, 02:02:53 PM »

I love animals. I think I have to thank my dog for keeping me emotionally stable.

My heart goes out to all of those pet owners Sad.

-----

I have been doing a lot of bussing today. In fact, I get to see my dog later today as a result 

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
wingsoveramerica
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 17, 2016, 02:15:44 PM »

One thing i did was buy a CD (still buying those) of 'Good Times' by The Monkees.

Jon G.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: August 18, 2016, 01:47:18 PM »

I have been doing a lot of bussing today. In fact, I get to see my dog later today as a result 

Do you have a picture of your dog, M, or is there one here somewhere?

What did I do today?

Morning: Nearly got my left ruddy leg pulled off by the physiotherapist.
Afternoon: Fell asleep at my desk.
Evening: Ate two fried eggs.

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: August 18, 2016, 10:01:40 PM »

What did I do today?

I'm always willing to show pictures of my dog.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: August 19, 2016, 05:07:23 AM »

Thanks, M.

That picture looks familiar. Maybe you posted it earlier in Bubs's "Small Dogs" topic----or in some "Pets" topic that I can't find...

This is a recent one of my little dog Diesel:

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: August 19, 2016, 04:24:37 PM »

Those dogs are cute. 

I worked very hard today in extreme heat.  Boy I hope the Summer ends soon.

Just got cleaned up, and now hoping for it to rain.

Next up...make a whisky sour and play some Beach Boys.  I'm starting with Beach Boys Today! SACD.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 19, 2016, 05:50:47 PM »

What did I do today?

Looks like a sweet dog. I like that wood flooring, too.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: August 19, 2016, 05:58:07 PM »

Thanks, M.

That picture looks familiar. Maybe you posted it earlier in Bubs's "Small Dogs" topic----or in some "Pets" topic that I can't find...

This is a recent one of my little dog Diesel:

Looks like an older version of our Chihuahua/Miniature Doberman mix.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: August 20, 2016, 02:03:07 AM »

How about that? Yes, it's a Chihuahua/Minipin mix. He's reached the ripe old age of nine.

Any chance of a picture, OSD?

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: August 20, 2016, 07:41:33 AM »

How about that? Yes, it's a Chihuahua/Minipin mix. He's reached the ripe old age of nine.

Any chance of a picture, OSD?

I'll try to get both dogs in the picture. The other one is a Sheltie (min. Collie).

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: August 21, 2016, 07:32:12 PM »

Love seeing these sweet dogs!

Watched Winding Stream, a documentary about the Carter Family (AP, Sara and Maybelle) plus extended family and of course Johnny Cash. I absolutely love their music, plus I'm on an "old timey" music obsession right now.

Then afterwards, for no particular reason, listened to some Rosemary Clooney.

Keep on the sunny side!

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: August 22, 2016, 03:13:28 PM »

another day, another coat of paint.  Putting in some new rugs.  The Big clean-up before Fall/Winter - my favorite time of the year.  The place is really looking better!  Feeling Great, cause it's almost done.

and!  it's cooler today for the first time in two weeks, only 74 degrees -and less humidity.

also.  Being from Louisiana myself, my heart goes out to all the flood victims (including the animals).  Loved growing up in Monroe, and the years I lived in Baton Rouge and New Orleans.
Always felt I didn't so much leave Louisiana - in my soul forever.  I left the heat.

NOLA BB Fan,  Louisiana will survive this.  Once saw the Ouachita River get near the top of the levee, but never spill over.  Saw a bridge between Monroe and West Monroe go under a couple of times.  What's happening to the swamps West of New Orleans?  Can the water get as high as those freeways (10 and 55)?  Did see a news report the other day on how some of the islands are disappearing South of New Orleans, tho.  The Gulf is in trouble.  Hang in there, the water will go down.  -Will
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 04:00:18 PM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: August 22, 2016, 03:40:21 PM »

The 1st dog looks like plush toy - it's got unlively eyes. The 2nd isn't cute.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 05:23:51 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: August 22, 2016, 03:45:44 PM »

Dammit.... Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: August 22, 2016, 03:49:50 PM »

[Deleted]
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 05:22:29 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: August 22, 2016, 03:58:48 PM »

*SB scratches head* Huh....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: August 22, 2016, 04:04:57 PM »

[Deleted]
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 05:21:20 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 22, 2016, 04:06:51 PM »

Just kinda rude about SSers' best friends....

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 50   Go Up
Print
Jump to: