gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680722 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 07:38:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Absolute favorite BB track?  (Read 13991 times)
blank
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2012, 06:06:49 PM »

Let's see...

Surfin' Era Favorite: Surfer Girl, Mono
Pre-Pet Sounds Era Favorite: When I Grow Up (To Be a Man), Mono
Pet Sounds/Smile Era Favorite: I Just Wasn't Made for These Times, Stereo
Smiley Smile through Surf's Up: Break Away, Stereo (was this ever released in Mono?)
(As of now, I'm mostly unfamiliar with their work after Surf's Up... but I've got C&TP/Holland coming in the mail soon!)

... so if I were to pick just one from those three, it would be IJWM4TT!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 11:24:45 PM by DiamondHead » Logged
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2012, 07:56:43 PM »

Let's see...

Surfin' Era Favorite: Surfer Girl, Mono
Pre-Pet Sounds Era Favorite: When I Grow Up (To Be a Man), Mono
Pet Sounds/Smile Era Favorite: I Just Wasn't Made for These Times, DVD Stereo Version
Smiley Smile through Surf's Up: Break Away, Stereo (was this ever released in Mono?)
(As of now, I'm mostly unfamiliar with their work after Surf's Up... but I've got C&TP/Holland coming in the mail soon!)

... so if I were to pick just one from those three, it would be IJWM4TT!

Good choices!
Holland is amazing!

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2012, 09:59:44 PM »

Wouldn't It Be Nice, tho Don't Worry Baby is a very close second.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2012, 08:55:22 AM »

If somebody put a gun to my head and told me I could play just one Beach Boys song to convince them of their worth, I'd without hesitation choose "Please Let Me Wonder". I never get sick of it.
BB Universe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2012, 10:29:23 AM »

This is one tough question!! There are probably about 5(+ -) songs I don't like; I can listen to the rest all day.
Per the question, my absolute favorite BB track, for a variety of personal reasons, is Sloop John B. I'm not saying its the best of the catalogue, just my favorite.
You can't go wrong with just about any that have been mentioned so far (and many of those not mentioned!).
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2012, 10:45:20 AM »

Surfs Up, Tack Piano.

after that... either Lets put our hearts... or Heroes and villians

doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2012, 12:39:20 PM »

Leader Board update (by number of votes):

4 God Only Knows
4 Surf's Up

3 Time To Get Alone
3 Wouldn't It Be Nice

2 Don't Worry Baby
2 I Just Wasn't Made For These Times
2 Please Let Me Wonder

took me a while to understand what was going on in this thread. mainly because i thought that veggie was a bokchoy
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2012, 12:46:52 PM »

gotta say Kiss Me Baby

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2012, 05:29:06 PM »

Pedestrian choices, I know, but to really get to the essence of 'absolute favorite', I had to begin by weeding my way through the likes of "Wouldn't It Be Nice," "Sloop John B," "God Only Knows" and "Surf's Up" (Brian).  And believe you me, it's no simple thing to look "Wouldn't It Be Nice" in the eye and say no.

But if there can only be one, then that one undeniably has to be "Good Vibrations" - it's all right there, perfectly, in three-and-a-half minutes!

It helps that the record happens to feature my very favorite Beach Boys moment, roughly 2:53-2:57, the stacked vocal "Aaaahhhhhhh......" and the decay during the stop which follows it.  Now I've heard this occasion described as musical "Zen," and that's as good a descriptor as any, but I like to think of that silence between the notes as an example of pure music.  Not to mention the flood of absolute bliss when the boys re-enter the action.

"Good, good, good, good vibrations..."

My God, how in the world can I say no to "Wouldn't It Be Nice"?
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2012, 09:14:28 PM »

Pedestrian choices, I know, but to really get to the essence of 'absolute favorite', I had to begin by weeding my way through the likes of "Wouldn't It Be Nice," "Sloop John B," "God Only Knows" and "Surf's Up" (Brian).  And believe you me, it's no simple thing to look "Wouldn't It Be Nice" in the eye and say no.

But if there can only be one, then that one undeniably has to be "Good Vibrations" - it's all right there, perfectly, in three-and-a-half minutes!

It helps that the record happens to feature my very favorite Beach Boys moment, roughly 2:53-2:57, the stacked vocal "Aaaahhhhhhh......" and the decay during the stop which follows it.  Now I've heard this occasion described as musical "Zen," and that's as good a descriptor as any, but I like to think of that silence between the notes as an example of pure music.  Not to mention the flood of absolute bliss when the boys re-enter the action.

"Good, good, good, good vibrations..."

My God, how in the world can I say no to "Wouldn't It Be Nice"?

That's exactly what I was thinking.
Wouldn't it be nice is pretty much perfect, but the techniques Brian used for Good Vibrations makes it the best single of all time. The digital age is just now catching up to him!

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Youre Under Arrest
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2012, 09:21:07 AM »

I'm Waiting For The Day when you can love again.

"My name is Brian and I'm the man, I write hit songs with the wave of my hand" - Brian Wilson

Not only was Brian a musical genius, but he was a real cool head, making real good bread.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2012, 10:28:51 AM »

I'll have to name three: Don't Worry Baby, Sail On Sailor, I'll Bet He's Nice
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2012, 11:31:24 AM »

It will always be 'Wouldn't It Be Nice', which is also my #1 favorite song of all time. I have a copy of the original 1966 Capitol swirl 45 single (b/w 'God Only Knows') and someday I want Brian Wilson and Tony Asher to sign it.  Grin

'Let Him Run Wild' is a distant second.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 11:34:24 AM by Summer_Days » Logged

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Paulos
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2012, 12:57:24 PM »

This is not an easy question to answer, but I would have to go with Cabin Essence - it's just incredibly good.
doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2012, 04:31:12 PM »

Updated:

4 God Only Knows
4 Surf's Up
4 Wouldn't It Be Nice

3 Time To Get Alone

2 Don't Worry Baby
2 Good Vibrations
2 I Just Wasn't Made For These Times
2 Please Let Me Wonder

took me a while to understand what was going on in this thread. mainly because i thought that veggie was a bokchoy
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2017, 06:08:49 PM »

Surf's Up, without a single second thought.

By far the smartest thing David Brent's ever said

And I agree

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2017, 02:26:50 AM »

Wind Chimes - Smiley Smile version

By a dozen country miles times a million to the power of 20.
fishcane
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2017, 03:16:55 AM »

Trader
Scaroline No
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2017, 07:00:22 AM »

It's a tie between You Still Believe in Me and Don't Worry Baby. If YSBIM wins it's by the slightest hair and it's because seeing/hearing BW perform it live made me high.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 07:02:02 AM by SCaroline Z » Logged
jmc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2017, 08:52:31 AM »

Please Let Me Wonder

Runners up would be Cabinessence, Surfs Up (tss), and about 20 others.....
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2017, 10:21:37 AM »

Do It Again

If it runs amuck, call the duck
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2017, 10:32:31 AM »

Picking my top 5 is tough, almost not possible.  Oddly, number 1 is easy...WIBN

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2017, 10:37:47 AM »

On these older threads, I always like to go back and see what I might have said in earlier years. Occasionally I'm consistent, usually I'm not.

But in this case, oddly enough, I seem to have said nothing at all. So I'll go on record for now: "Wouldn't It Be Nice?"

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2017, 11:07:14 AM »

Lonely Sea
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2017, 02:43:49 PM »

Some great picks already on the board.  Time to Get Alone, God Only Knows, Don't Worry Baby, Good Vibrations...all worthy of the utmost acclaim and adoration.  All better than anything EVER recorded by almost anyone else.  [Then or now.]

That said...I'm going to go back further...back to songs which were SO excellent that they insured I would still be waiting with baited breath for everything that would ever follow in their trail blazing and ever-glorious path.  Harrisonjon mentioned Lonely Sea.  Great tune.  [As was Farmer's Daughter.]  I think, though, that the song which sews it up for me...the one which verified that I was 'in' forever was In My Room.  THAT one I could relate to.  I didn't surf...although I would learn to Wind Surf maybe 15 years later.  I didn't drive...although I'd own my own car 8 years later.  But in 1963 I certainly had a room and I 'got' what Brian and the boys were sayin'.

Feel Flows, Trader, Little Bird, Sail On Sailor, Ballad of Ol' Betsy, ... ... ...they're all ever-so-outstanding.  There are dozens of worthy contenders and whether or not they made the Top 40 doesn't matter one iota.  But In My Room is the Beach Boys' song that's in the pocket for me.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 02:44:49 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx