-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 03:50:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Is it Me or is that people always talk more about Brian and Dennis than Carl??
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Is it Me or is that people always talk more about Brian and Dennis than Carl??  (Read 40995 times)
EthanJClarke93
« on: August 12, 2012, 04:50:12 PM »

For some reason, i feel that people always talk more about Brian and Dennis than Carl. besides the usual stories, i've always wondered maybe there's stuff we never knew vice versa?

I had the change the name of the subject cause people were complaining, like 5 year old mentally challanged children -_- fml.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 05:16:07 PM by EthanJClarke93 » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 05:02:52 PM »

Are you familiar with.....

the fact that we are actually supposed to say what the thread is about in the subject line?
EthanJClarke93
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 05:03:37 PM »

the fact that we are actually supposed to say what the thread is about in the subject line?

-_________- Could we PLEASE NOT GO Off Subject Please?!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 05:10:11 PM by EthanJClarke93 » Logged
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 05:13:32 PM »

-_________- Could we PLEASE NOT GO Off Subject Please?!

If by subject the title of this thread is understood, I think this thread could be about anything. This would render sweetdudejim's post perfectly on topic. And he's right, by the way.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 05:16:04 PM »

Ethan is a valued member with those great pictures he finds. To answer your question, I guess Brian and Dennis had more headlines about them because of their talents and problems, while Carl was quiet and kept the band together while giving a great song here and there.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
EthanJClarke93
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 05:16:58 PM »

Ethan is a valued member with those great pictures he finds. To answer your question, I guess Brian and Dennis had more headlines about them because of their talents and problems, while Carl was quiet and kept the band together while giving a great song here and there.

Thank you for the nice complement  Grin
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 05:21:30 PM »

And you're a valued member too.  group hug

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 05:21:46 PM »

Wasn't there just a post by the Admins about NOT creating vague/meaningless post titles?
Also, I think this question belongs in the Various Insignificant questions thread.
Just Sayin...

Ahh, i see you (or someone) has changed the thread's title.
Well, I maintain my stance about insignificant questions...

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 05:30:35 PM »

And you're a valued member too.  group hug
Same for you. Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 05:55:07 PM »

I feel the same about Carl. He's hugely underrated as a guitarist and a singer and his kind modest soul is what makes him stand out among all the musicians. The guy was unique diamond.

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 06:16:05 PM »

For some reason, i feel that people always talk more about Brian and Dennis than Carl. besides the usual stories, i've always wondered maybe there's stuff we never knew vice versa?

I had the change the name of the subject cause people were complaining, like 5 year old mentally challanged children -_- fml.

No need to be a dick. It's called board etiquette. It's just annoying that people don't follow some easy to understand rules.
EthanJClarke93
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2012, 07:44:41 PM »

No need to be a dick. It's called board etiquette. It's just annoying that people don't follow some easy to understand rules.

Oh well that so nice to say  Sad
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2012, 08:03:30 PM »

??
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2012, 08:06:34 PM »

??

!!

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
EthanJClarke93
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2012, 08:20:26 PM »

Well can we please stick on the subject please?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 09:13:54 PM by EthanJClarke93 » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 01:00:12 AM »

Is anyone here actually interested in discussing the subject? I do feel that Carl is very underrated by the BB's fans, I guess Brian and Dennis were more colorful with all their highly documented problems (although we seem to talk a lot about Carl's rather brief period of drug abuse in the late 70's). There's a lot to be said for being quiet and dependable (as Al has been), but it doesn't get the headlines.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2012, 02:42:44 AM »

An interesting dynamic in the group was the divide that developed between Brian and Carl at some point.

MBE
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2012, 03:26:07 AM »

Carl is an interesting guy in his own right, but Brian, Dennis, and Mike made more headlines. Musically and vocally I think Carl in his prime was something to behold, but as a songwriter he only showed flashes of brilliance compared to again Brian, Dennis, and yes Mike. I think that may have to do with him getting a little ignored. As a producer he did some great work from 1968-72. I wonder why he didn't produce any further after the Ricci Martin album. His own solo albums may have been a lot better, as well as the later Beach Boy albums, had he produced. The changes in Brian and Dennis after the death of Murry have been discussed, but Carl changed to. He never took charge in the same way again. I know there were a lot of power plays with the Love's etc. but I'm surprised he didn't stand firm on certain issues. Maybe the positive changes in Mike creatively on stage would have taken place years before. Maybe the box set tour was his last attempt? I think after that his health played a big role in things not running smooth in the mid nineties with Brian's new work etc. 

As for Brian and Carl, I know on Brian's part there was a little jealousy over how close Carl was to their mom. I always thought that maybe Carl never forgave Brian for not being at Murry's funeral. Audree talked about her having to talk with Carl over his anger at Brian. Dennis he didn't expect better from what I understand, but perhaps there was a rift there. I also think (despite his own problems at the time) that he was angry at Brian for some of his erratic behavior on stage. Carlin touched on that a bit in his book about how Carl didn't want Brian playing bass after a certain point. After all you can be understanding of someone's illness (which I think Carl was) and still get upset over some of their choices. I remember Brian in that Les Chan hotel tape from 1981 that Brian spoke out about someone going solo (ironic huh) and I felt Carl's absence played a part in his opinion at the time. So there were these points of contention over the years.

I think they did love each other very much, and I understand that they worked things out shortly before Carl died, but issues between them went back a while. I mean the use of Surf's Up was over Brian's objections and suddenly he wanted to work with Sandler and Spring more than the Beach Boys, so there could have been a problem there between them as well. Overall though I would say they got along pretty well until Murry died and there seems to have been a closeness before the second Landy term that never returned in the same way. One last thing is that I know Brian was glad in one way to have the Beach Boys be a democracy in the late sixties and early seventies, but in another way he also felt unwanted to some extent once Carl began to produce more. Some comments in a 1973 Record World interview indicate that strongly and Diane even tells Brian it wasn't true.  It was complicated!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2012, 04:46:10 AM »

It's always the controversial, outspoken and outlandish who gain people's attention more. As the quiet and dare I say it, most "normal" of the three brothers, the focus was always less on Carl. It's also why there are much more stories and fan focus on Mike than Al. The media naturally is going to be directed on the more larger than life characters in the band. It's worth noting that until a couple of very public slipups recently no one ever talked about Bruce.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
EthanJClarke93
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2012, 05:59:10 AM »

Pretty much i never even knew that Carl had a drug addiction, I'm guessing it wasn't as worse as Dennis nor Brian's, I'm friends with Carl's son Jonah btw  Tongue, well not friends like that, i've spoken with him a few times.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 08:13:34 AM by EthanJClarke93 » Logged
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2012, 06:08:31 AM »

Ethan I'm doing  Shocked right now but in a good way. How did you get acquainted with him?!

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
EthanJClarke93
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2012, 08:06:57 AM »

Ethan I'm doing  Shocked right now but in a good way. How did you get acquainted with him?!

via facebook =p we've talked a few times before hand when i was trying to make a book on Carl, i didn't mean were friends like that
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 08:13:05 AM by EthanJClarke93 » Logged
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2012, 08:49:14 AM »

i was trying to make a book on Carl

Couldn't find a translator?

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
EthanJClarke93
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2012, 10:03:40 AM »

i was trying to make a book on Carl

Couldn't find a translator?

-__- jesus christ fml

« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 10:38:36 AM by EthanJClarke93 » Logged
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2012, 11:09:11 AM »

It's at moments like this when you should ask yourself... what would Al Jardine do?

http://www.continuingedstudies.com/main/home.php
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 11:21:54 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: