gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680869 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 08:41:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What *Beach Boys* Are You Listening To Right Now?  (Read 9326 times)
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2012, 04:08:26 PM »

Friends has grown on me as well. The first time I heard it, I thought it was amazing. Now, I think it is one of the most amazing albums ever made.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 09:29:50 PM by I. Spaceman » Logged

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Johnston65
Smiley Smile Associate

Can you even boogaloo it?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2012, 08:17:24 PM »

I downloaded it recently and it's turning into one of my favorites. I also downloaded Friends but I'm having mixed reactions on it.
Your first exposure to Friends?  Or are you referencing the quality of the download?

I'm assuming it's the former.

Friends is a little weird.  From a "dark period" which began with Smiley and ended (sorta) with the more dynamic Sunflower.  I place the albums: Smiley Smile, Wild Honey, Friends and 20/20 in this period.  Very small, dark sounding albums.  If I may say, they're among the favorites of many fans.  Honest, low-key and natural.  To me, they're very sublime.  The work of a starving artist or recluse -- introducing an aesthetic of creative suffering -- which had not been associated with the Beach Boys.

They also became essential and dear to fans because, sans-SMiLE, they were all we had to go on and scour through for clues regarding Brian's lost masterpiece.
No it's a CD quality download, just the songs are not really resonating with me on Friends. I love all the other albums from this "dark period" on the other hand.

Not surprised. You didn't have that much to do on "Friends", did you Bruce?

Grin

Haha! I just realized my nickname is coincidentally connected to The Beach Boys.  LOL

I guess you all can just call me Bruce from now on.  Wink
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2012, 09:17:06 PM »

Friends has grown on me as well. The first time I hard it, I thought it was amazing. Now, I think it is one of the most amazing albums ever made.
Hmmm....  It's been a looong time...but I think Friends hit me pretty quickly.  The one/two punch opening -- Meant for You/Friends.  Something spiritual there.  A wave.  A sermon.  Washes me clean.  The album goes around, but never loses it's vibe.  Strong stuff.

Listening to it now!  Smokin

Smiley Smile took me for a ride though.  Freaked me out, made me mad!  LOL  I thought they were punking me!  Now it's very important to me.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2012, 03:02:55 PM »

Brian- Friends & Love You
Al-MIU (lovin his production) & Holland)
Bruce-Goin' Pubic & BB 85
Mike- Country Love (contemplating)
Dave- Surfin' USA (appreciate his guitar licks)

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2012, 03:59:45 PM »

Bruce-Goin' Pubic

Totally.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2012, 04:10:43 PM »

That's the album with "I Write The Songs That Make The Whole World Itch", right?

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
blank
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2012, 07:51:04 PM »

Friends is my favorite Beach boys album at this point, it's fun to hear of somebody just beginning to explore it!

Lately I've been digging through everything pre-Pet Sounds... man, I used to just write off all of this stuff, but now listening to quality files with my new Grados, I'm stunned at how much classic music there is.   Shocked

I think it's also kind of a matter of letting go of the "cool factor" that used to blur my musical taste.  The best of this stuff, like any of the BB's best music, is just Brian and the guys being themselves!
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2012, 07:51:15 PM »

I've really be into re-examining their post-Smile output.  Holland has gotten some heavy rotation as has BB85.

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2012, 01:44:42 PM »

That's the album with "I Write The Songs That Make The Whole World Itch", right?
GOOD CALL!

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2012, 04:36:12 PM »

Friends is my favorite Beach boys album at this point, it's fun to hear of somebody just beginning to explore it!

Lately I've been digging through everything pre-Pet Sounds... man, I used to just write off all of this stuff, but now listening to quality files with my new Grados, I'm stunned at how much classic music there is.   Shocked

I think it's also kind of a matter of letting go of the "cool factor" that used to blur my musical taste.  The best of this stuff, like any of the BB's best music, is just Brian and the guys being themselves!
Well said!  I've spent many a nice saturday morning cranking albums like little deuce coupe, all summer long.  Pure clean fun.  The boys just being themselves,...that's exactly right!

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2012, 12:10:22 PM »

Didn't Bruce once say he's listened to the Bruce Johnston Story (parts 1&2) before? It's quite a collection, wish it was released in some way.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

BB Universe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2012, 01:21:37 PM »

1. TWGMTR - as its still "fresh" and I find something new each listen.
2. Greatest hits Vol. 3, Best of the Brother Years - like the mix at the moment
3. Warmth of the Sun/Sounds of Summer - I always have these in my car to listen to some BB tunes when the urge strikes (and I don't mind if these get dinged at all, unlike my "stay at home collection").
At the moment, other than TWGMTR, not listening to albums but rather the compilations for the mix.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2012, 07:58:55 PM »

2 spins of Wild Honey (unfortunately simply vinyl, can't wait to get one cut from analog) followed by friends. I'm no longer in a bad mood. The six beers don't hurt, either..
Damn that original friends Capitol vinyl sounds good!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 08:01:25 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2012, 12:51:58 AM »

Munich '72 - what a set list and so much energy. The live Beach Boys at their best.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2012, 01:01:16 AM »

Summer In Paradise...

Feel free to attack me  Grin

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2012, 01:43:12 AM »

Have had TWGMTR (CD & vinyl) on heavy rotation since release, recently punctuated by the new Pet Sounds & Smiley mono/stereo mixes. Also had the Lost & Found set from a few years back – love the fresh and raw feel of many of those tracks. also Sunflower and Surf's Up on vinyl.

“We live in divisive times.”
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2012, 08:58:00 AM »

Love You, Smiley Smile, and Friends.  Put those on a playlist and hit Random Play.  Sweet insanity indeed.

This is a good antidote to having heard too much of the new album.  Like having something a little salty after eating a dish of ice cream.
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2012, 09:35:01 AM »

Holland LP
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2012, 07:53:49 PM »

Summer In Paradise...

Feel free to attack me  Grin

Ninja Jedi Duel

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2012, 08:50:38 PM »

A slightly altered TWGMTR
Michael Edwards Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2012, 08:58:28 PM »

Heavy Rotation Right Now:

1.  "In Concert"  (Solid collection, though I prefer boots from that era.)
2.  "Summer Love Songs"  (I really enjoy this mix of songs an the sound is pretty sharp too.)
3.  "Concert/Live in London 69" 2-fer  ("Concert" is energetic enough, but I much prefer "London 69")
4.  "Made in U.S.A."  (Just picked up my first copy of this one to get R&R to the Rescue.  Decent collection.)
5.  "Isn't It Time"  (the iTunes single.  Really like SOS and California Girls.  I'm less keen on DIA- way too much post-production.)
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2012, 09:12:45 PM »

Listening to Summer Days and Summer Nights on repeat as I read C-Man's excellent session notes for that album.

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2012, 10:51:37 PM »

Mike, Bruce, and Dave (and Adrian Baker Sad ) Salute Nascar!!!  LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2012, 06:27:49 AM »

Today! 2012 Remaster

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Vega-Table Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2012, 06:55:22 AM »

Summer Days 2012 Remaster
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx