gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 07:50:32 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's vocal on California Saga Single  (Read 16434 times)
dcowboys107
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 09, 2012, 04:12:36 PM »

I read on wikipedia that the album and single mixes are different. I have the Holland version which is the album one and I think I have the single version from the Warmth of the Sun comp.  I know Brian sings the open two lines, but I cannot hear him anywhere else. Is this version just the album version "fixed" or do I not have the single version still?  If not, can someone pass me a youtube link?  In any case, could someone tell me where else he sings? It says that he sings in the verse verse but Mike is singing by himself. Thanks for the help.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 04:17:14 PM »

He crops up elsewhere on the single mix, and the instrumentation and harmonies are a bit different on the single mix too - it has horns and more moog bass! It's on this compilation http://open.spotify.com/album/1P6NxbYUZazQAAag2leAUh

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 04:20:25 PM »

It's slightly sped up, and Brian has a few additional echoes of what he sings in the intro during the verse. It's barely audible on the album version but prominent on the single mix. Something like this, with Brian's lines italicized:

Have you ever been south of Monterey?
Barrancas carve the coast line
And the chaparral flows to the sea
'Neath waves of golden sunshine (On my way)
And have you ever been north of Morro Bay?
The south coast plows the sea
And the people there are of the breed
They don't need electricity (On my way-ay)

I always liked Brian's part a lot and wondered why he didn't sing it during each chorus (obviously it was Al's call), so much so that I utilized the album mix and single mix into an edit that actually has him singing the "On my way to sunny Californ-i-a" part over the entire chorus while taking a few liberties with the end of the chorus. The echoed lines are also in the verses, obviously.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
dcowboys107
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 04:26:46 PM »

It's slightly sped up, and Brian has a few additional echoes of what he sings in the intro during the verse. It's barely audible on the album version but prominent on the single mix. Something like this, with Brian's lines italicized:

I always liked Brian's part a lot and wondered why he didn't sing it during each chorus (obviously it was Al's call), so much so that I utilized the album mix and single mix into an edit that actually has him singing the "On my way to sunny Californ-i-a" part over the entire chorus while taking a few liberties with the end of the chorus. The echoed lines are also in the verses, obviously.

Sped up in what sense? It seems like the same song but maybe the tape was sped up?  I'm not sure.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 04:46:17 PM »

That's probably the case. Just in a very slightly higher key and very slightly faster. Think of the single mix of "It's OK" versus the album if you've heard it - same situation.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 05:21:03 PM »

before it burnt up i had an issue of billboard that had a line about alan remixing and working on the song for a single release. i don't remember what studio it mentioned the remixing was being done at. maybe it can be found on google books.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 06:09:21 PM »

I read on wikipedia that the album and single mixes are different. I have the Holland version which is the album one and I think I have the single version from the Warmth of the Sun comp.  I know Brian sings the open two lines, but I cannot hear him anywhere else. Is this version just the album version "fixed" or do I not have the single version still?  If not, can someone pass me a youtube link?  In any case, could someone tell me where else he sings? It says that he sings in the verse verse but Mike is singing by himself. Thanks for the help.

Check yer PMs.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
dcowboys107
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 06:46:57 PM »

I think it's cool to hear him but I like his "I'm on my way" at the end more than during the verses. I kind of like his voice like that even though it's probably messed up. . .
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 03:53:22 AM »

WOTS has the album version. You'll find the single version of that song (plus the single versions of "It's ok" "Rock and roll music" and "Here comes the night (disco)" on "Best of the Brother years" (best of the Beach Boys vol. 3)

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 06:13:13 AM »

WOTS has the album version. You'll find the single version of that song (plus the single versions of "It's ok" "Rock and roll music" and "Here comes the night (disco)" on "Best of the Brother years" (best of the Beach Boys vol. 3)

It's quite interesting how the single versions from 'Best of the Brother years' make all these songs sound better. ofc the HCTN isof a certain taste, but I can enjoy it, something I would never lend the album version. Hell, even R&R Music works in the single configuration. I loved the single version of CalSaga p.3 from the first time I heard it (on the radio?) and was obsessed with finding it. One of the factors which brought me to this superb board!
Luke_Barshack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 06:48:47 AM »

Indeed - a nice little disc worth picking up for that reason.
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 09:14:20 AM »

Thanks for the heads up! The single version of "Rock & Roll Music" sounds light years better. Where can someone find the different version of "Come Go With Me" or was there never an official release?

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 09:37:03 AM »

Thanks for the heads up! The single version of "Rock & Roll Music" sounds light years better. Where can someone find the different version of "Come Go With Me" or was there never an official release?

Original US CD issue of MIU, by mistake.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2012, 09:51:14 AM »

I believe it is on the U.S. Ten Years Of Harmony CD, as well.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2012, 09:53:32 AM »

Yep, you're right. Disregard my previous comment. Was thinking of Hey Little Tomboy.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2012, 10:01:11 AM »

Yep, you're right. Disregard my previous comment. Was thinking of Hey Little Tomboy.
I think you are correct too. Tomboy, Come Go..., Peggy Sue and Wontcha' ... all have different mixes on the Epic M.I.U. CD. My memory betrays me sometimes, as I haven't listened to that disc in many a year.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2012, 10:04:04 AM »

My disc doesn't have HCTN on it...was that for the UK market?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2012, 10:16:06 AM »

I never heard about different running orders. We're talking about this one:

What's your track #16 ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2012, 10:24:56 AM »

Good Timin'.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2012, 10:27:05 AM »

Good Timin'.

That's # 17 on my CD. It has 22 tracks on the whole.

- Jack Rieley
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2012, 11:01:29 AM »

15 For me is Peggy Sue.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2012, 11:04:35 AM »

Interesting. Found this on wikipedia:

Titled The Best of the Beach Boys: 1970–1986 in England, it included three additional songs not issued on the U.S. version: "Tears in the Morning", the disco remake of "Here Comes the Night" from The Beach Boys' L.A. (Light Album), and "Sumahama".

Greatest Hits Volume Three: Best of the Brother Years 1970–1986 (Capitol 7243 5 24511 2) never charted in the US or the UK.

Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greatest_Hits_Volume_Three:_Best_of_the_Brother_Years_1970%E2%80%931986

I never knew there were different releases (and I also don't know why). So you got "Disney girls (1957)" instead of "Tears in the morning" and two other tracks missing. Does it at least have the same awesome artwork (not just for the cover but the whole package)?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 11:06:41 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2012, 12:41:16 PM »

To my knowledge, yes, the art is the same. I'm sure the liners are a bit different.

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2012, 01:59:11 PM »

Yep - AGD Book, p 127 of the Omnibus blue cover edition confirms what Rocker found on wiki - Tears in the Morning, the 45 edit of HCTN and Sumahama "got tagged on" for Brits -  and notes that Disney Girls got ditched.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 02:33:56 PM by Alholio71 » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2012, 02:30:48 PM »

The single version also fixes up a miscue or something re the vocals on the second chorus - on the album cut, Mike's comes in early with a "Get yourself in that", realises just after he sings "Git".  The brass section is up a bit higher on the 45 as well, and there's a lot more energy, maybe due to the slight speed-up (maybe the album isn't mastered at the right speed, I don't know).

Would love to hear your mix at some stage
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 02:36:00 PM by Alholio71 » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx