gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:52:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Help needed! Acoustic guitar: Gibson or Martin?  (Read 3496 times)
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 09, 2012, 12:50:57 AM »

Hi everyone,

after saving quite a few pennies and some dimes, and the time to buy a brand new proper acoustic guitar is nearing. The only problem is, I can't decide, and where I live, I have no chance for proper testing. I've narrowed my choices to Gibson J-200 and Martin D-28 or HD-28. I know the basic difference in their timbre and structure, and I love both their sound (maybe Gibson even more... plus it's a beauty, but then again most of my heroes have used Martins). What's your take on those two? Which one I should go after? Any experiences? I've been searching the net, only to find endless "yes/no" arguments and the stock "well, whichever feels right" comments. I know, it's my decision, but any helpful opinions or advices from long-time Gibson/Martin players would be welcome.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 04:32:45 AM »

..... I love both their sound (maybe Gibson even more...

Think you've answered it right there!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 05:18:12 AM »

Yeah, I guess you're right. Dave has a J-200. George Harrison played one. J-200 is on the cover of Nashville Skyline. But I'm not saying Martin sounds bad (and it is louder), and the list of Martin users is long and awe-inspiring...

By the way, does anyone have info on acoustics used by the boys? On Party and Wild Honey, especially.

Melt Away
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 06:14:36 AM »

This is a big dilemma for me as well. Long story short, I'd go with the J-200.

Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 09:44:20 AM »

^ I would love to hear the long story as well!

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 08:07:02 AM »

Yeah, I guess you're right. Dave has a J-200. George Harrison played one. J-200 is on the cover of Nashville Skyline. But I'm not saying Martin sounds bad (and it is louder), and the list of Martin users is long and awe-inspiring...

By the way, does anyone have info on acoustics used by the boys? On Party and Wild Honey, especially.

I'm not sure whether who played what, unless you're really going after a specific sound and that's all you're picking it for, is the way forward when choosing guitars. Just go for the sound you like!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 08:37:22 AM »

^Yes, of course not, that was just an off-topic aside. Actually, the acoustic guitar sound on Party isn't that grand (I suppose that wasn't the point, either). Anyway, my heart tells me to choose J-200 over Martin. They both sound great, but Gibson has the looks as well.

JaredLekites
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 12:35:47 AM »

Gibson acoustics get better and better over time as long as they're cared for.

I have heard older Martin's that don't have the so called "magic spot" in the sound that Gibson's have.

jaredlekites.bandcamp.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx