gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 02:55:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Details on the new greatest hits albums and remasters  (Read 56059 times)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: September 10, 2012, 07:28:52 PM »

So there's a California Girls 45 mono mix and then the SDSN album mix is different?

Also, the different editions of Endless Harmony use different mixes of CG? I didn't know this. Do any of the other songs use different mixes on the newer editions? Gosh, being a BB fan can be hell.
The single mix is on the 1999 GH CD. The horns sound more harsh and along with the background vocals are more prominent in the mix. Sandoval's stereo mix on EH 1 sounds more like the single mono mix. Both have the longer fade, as well.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 07:31:42 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: September 11, 2012, 09:56:25 PM »

It's too bad the new greatest hits set seems to be using the new stereo remasters.

The stereo mix of "California Girls" on "Endless Harmony" kills the new one.

I think the new one IS the same one that is on the second (or third) edition of Endless Harmony.
But the first edition one is the best.

I believe the first edition one is rather woefully out of sync, no?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: September 12, 2012, 04:23:19 AM »

It's too bad the new greatest hits set seems to be using the new stereo remasters.

The stereo mix of "California Girls" on "Endless Harmony" kills the new one.

I think the new one IS the same one that is on the second (or third) edition of Endless Harmony.
But the first edition one is the best.

I believe the first edition one is rather woefully out of sync, no?
That is the first Linett mix, not Sandoval's on the very first issue of EH (Orange cover).

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: September 12, 2012, 04:46:13 AM »

So there's a California Girls 45 mono mix and then the SDSN album mix is different?

Also, the different editions of Endless Harmony use different mixes of CG? I didn't know this. Do any of the other songs use different mixes on the newer editions? Gosh, being a BB fan can be hell.

Sonic differences between Linett's version over Sandoval's version include:

Dennis Wilson's voice-over was corrected,

Punchier mix of the hits medley,

Acappela mix of Surfer Girl,

Kiss Me Baby California Girls, Darlin' (live) and Do It Again (early version) remixes,

Re-equalized Heroes and Villains demo,

plus a hidden bonus track at the end of Endless Harmony.

Apparently EH was issued four times:

The original version, the original version (with Dennis's corrected promo), the second version & the second version including Mark Linett's remix credits previously omitted.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: September 12, 2012, 05:50:23 AM »

Wasn't the promo CD different again?

“We live in divisive times.”
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: September 20, 2012, 09:12:17 PM »

When is this being released??

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: September 20, 2012, 09:33:47 PM »

Anyway I just bought it!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: September 21, 2012, 09:53:31 AM »

Sonic differences between Linett's version over Sandoval's version include:

Dennis Wilson's voice-over was corrected,

Punchier mix of the hits medley,

Acappela mix of Surfer Girl,

Kiss Me Baby California Girls, Darlin' (live) and Do It Again (early version) remixes,

Re-equalized Heroes and Villains demo,

plus a hidden bonus track at the end of Endless Harmony.

Apparently EH was issued four times:

The original version, the original version (with Dennis's corrected promo), the second version & the second version including Mark Linett's remix credits previously omitted.

Son of a bitch! I can't believe how frustrating it is to collect every bit of Beach Boys audio that's out there.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 09:57:43 AM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: October 15, 2012, 12:22:07 PM »

There is one question that I must ask this board considering the tracklist on 50 Big Ones:

Why is H&V, IJWMFTT and Surf's Up randomly placed away from the other Pet Sounds tracks GOK,SJB and WIBN???

Obviously they want to portray those 3 PS tracks in a context of uniformity, this can certainly be applied to the others. Imagine if they would just get it right and put Surf's Up in between the PS tracks where it belongs or next to GV anf H&V.... I really think this is what messes stuff up. I know very well that this GH is not cronological, but when they ALWAYS put those 3 PS tracks together, they can certainly do so with the Smile tracks. SU next to Friends and Sail On Sailor makes no sense.

Neither does placing Kokomo at the beginning of the second disc....
Actually nvm and f*** the people who make this sh*t...
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: October 18, 2012, 01:46:07 PM »

I can't get over how great Today! sounds in stereo.

In the Back of my mind...WOW!
MBE
« Reply #335 on: October 20, 2012, 07:13:14 AM »

I like a strict chronology on a hits package. Mike doesn't like that, and I get his point, but as someone who thinks the songs tell a better story when laid out by date, I happen to not agree
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: October 20, 2012, 10:32:23 AM »

I like a strict chronology on a hits package. Mike doesn't like that, and I get his point, but as someone who thinks the songs tell a better story when laid out by date, I happen to not agree

The Fifty Big Ones tracklist is a total mess. Chronological is the best approach to these things nine times out of ten, especially when working with fifty years of material with such drastic variation in sounds and styles over time.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
MBE
« Reply #337 on: October 20, 2012, 11:48:26 AM »

Yeah that and the backwards printed photos were a letdown for me. I like the old Made In The U.S.A. double album a lot because of the mono mixes and it is basically in order. It isn't the end all of hits packages, but it made more sense than these random ones. I think there still needs to be an all mono 1962-70 Capitol singles box set that is on LP and CD. A and B sides in order.
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: October 20, 2012, 12:08:09 PM »

The Fifty Big Ones tracklist is a total mess. Chronological is the best approach to these things nine times out of ten, especially when working with fifty years of material with such drastic variation in sounds and styles over time.

There is a sweet spot between strictly chronological and "whatever we do live" that works when done right...but 50 Big Ones doesn't get there. I don't mind some mingling -- some of my playlists jump from "Hushabye" to "In My Room", and I like how "California Girls" and "Good Vibrations" bookends the last two big compilations. But something like "Kokomo" to "You're So Good To Me" just sounds odd.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: October 20, 2012, 03:19:07 PM »

Agreed.

50 big ones just doesn't flow

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx