gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 03:11:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Details on the new greatest hits albums and remasters  (Read 56116 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: August 10, 2012, 11:52:25 AM »

I hope a box set would mirror the Beatles box set by having all the core studio albums plus a Past Masters type collection featuring non-album singles, B-sides, and whatnot.  Or perhaps it would have to be two box sets because of the large amount of material.

Or perhaps it's not going to be that format at all. Can we have some logical thinking here, please ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: August 10, 2012, 11:56:12 AM »

Also, can't see why people would want a box set full of the albums, rather than a box set full of previously unreleased stuff. I would TOTALLY take the previously unreleased stuff. This is probably one of our last chances to hear some of these holy grails people!

I don't think a box made up of only unreleased stuff has ever been planned or suggested.

Wrong.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jason
« Reply #227 on: August 10, 2012, 12:01:38 PM »

Also, can't see why people would want a box set full of the albums, rather than a box set full of previously unreleased stuff. I would TOTALLY take the previously unreleased stuff. This is probably one of our last chances to hear some of these holy grails people!

I don't think a box made up of only unreleased stuff has ever been planned or suggested.

Wrong.  Grin

You brute! You and that Wall of Secrecy! You and your robots! HARUMPH! *end Phil Cohen*
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 10, 2012, 12:03:51 PM »

Wrong.  Grin

Yeah, but here's the question - is it still being planned or suggested?
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #229 on: August 10, 2012, 12:07:54 PM »

"Maybe.  Smiley " -hypothetical AGD response

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 10, 2012, 12:10:41 PM »

"Maybe.  Smiley " -hypothetical AGD response

LOL

Yeah, but my approach is like Woodward and Bernstein in All The President's Men (or, I guess in real life): can't hurt to ask questions even if you're pretty sure you'll be stonewalled. I think that's the message of that movie. It's unclear because the denouement is so freakin' abrupt.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 10, 2012, 03:56:47 PM »

I hope a box set would mirror the Beatles box set by having all the core studio albums plus a Past Masters type collection featuring non-album singles, B-sides, and whatnot.  Or perhaps it would have to be two box sets because of the large amount of material.

Or perhaps it's not going to be that format at all. Can we have some logical thinking here, please ?

I don't know what's logical here anymore anyway. The remastered albums threw me for a loop, so everything else I surmised about the re-release planning seems off now.
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 10, 2012, 04:11:20 PM »

I don't know what's logical here anymore anyway. The remastered albums threw me for a loop, so everything else I surmised about the re-release planning seems off now.

I don't know about anyone else's logic, but one conclusion is that:
 - the Greatest Hits is for the total newbies
 - 50 Big Ones is for slightly more adventurous beginners
 - the remasters will sell to more committed fans, plus newcomers who want to explore the album tracks
 - and then, the only constituency not yet covered is the ridiculous perspective-lacking megafan, and by gum I hope that the box set is for us.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 10, 2012, 04:14:15 PM »

From the Ultimate Classic Rock Site

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/beach-boys-announce-massive-reissue-campaign/

If this is the official press release, they are calling "50 Big Ones" the box set and no mention of a future box set.

Beach Boys Announce Massive Reissue Campaign With 12 Studio Albums and Two Compilations
by: Dave Swanson Yesterday

The celebration of the Beach Boys‘ 50th anniversary rolls on! Capitol Records has announced it will be launching yet another massive re-issue campaign for the legendary Californian band.

The lead-off releases in this series are two new greatest hits packages. For the timid, there is ‘The Beach Boys Greatest Hits,’ a compact 20-track collection of the band’s biggest hits. For those who wish to dive in a little deeper, there is a deluxe, career-spanning 2CD box entitled ‘Greatest Hits: 50 Big Ones.’ This collection features, as the title suggests, 50 Beach Boys favorites, including two songs from this year’s ‘That’s Why God Made The Radio.’

The box will be issued in a lift-top box package including an expanded booklet with new liner notes and seven postcards. The collection will also be available as digital download — no postcards with that one!

In addition to the hits packages, twelve of the band’s albums will also be re-issued. They have been digitally remastered by Mark Linett, who has been behind the board for many of the previous Beach Boys re-masters. The titles being re-issued are: ‘Surfin’ U.S.A.,’ ‘Surfer Girl,’ ‘Little Deuce Coupe,’ ‘Shut Down Volume 2,’ ‘All Summer Long,’ ‘Today!,’ ‘Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!),’ ‘Beach Boys Party!,’ ‘Pet Sounds,’ ‘Smiley Smile,’ ‘Sunflower’ and ‘Surf’s Up.’

Most of these titles will feature both mono and stereo mixes, with the exception of ‘Surf’s Up’ and ‘Sunflower,’ as they were never mixed in mono. No word on why ‘Surfin Safari,’ ‘Christmas Album,’ ‘Wild Honey,’ ‘Friends’ or ’20/20′ are not part of this re-issue series.  Also in the works is a career-spanning 50th Anniversary box set for release later this year.

On Sept. 18th, The Grammy Museum in Los Angeles will launch a special Beach Boys 50th Anniversary exhibit. Opening night will kick off with ‘An Evening With The Beach Boys,’ which will be a public event featuring a Q&A and acoustic performance by Brian Wilson, Mike Love, Al Jardine, Bruce Johnston, and David Marks.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 10, 2012, 04:16:33 PM »

I don't know about anyone else's logic, but one conclusion is that:
 - the Greatest Hits is for the total newbies
 - 50 Big Ones is for slightly more adventurous beginners
 - the remasters will sell to more committed fans, plus newcomers who want to explore the album tracks
 - and then, the only constituency not yet covered is the ridiculous perspective-lacking megafan, and by gum I hope that the box set is for us.

fully agree there!

screw the idea of more Califorina Girls tracks in a  new boxset, fill it with some Adult/Child, Friends/wildhoney outtakes, WIBNTLA and remixed Love You and LA Light tracks! even add a clearer version of  Oh Lord into the pile. Do not fk with this board Capitol!
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 10, 2012, 04:17:52 PM »

no mention of a future box set.

Apart from the bit where it says:

Also in the works is a career-spanning 50th Anniversary box set for release later this year.

This appears mostly just to be a regurgitation of the "official" press release.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 10, 2012, 04:33:03 PM »

no mention of a future box set.

Apart from the bit where it says:

Also in the works is a career-spanning 50th Anniversary box set for release later this year.

This appears mostly just to be a regurgitation of the "official" press release.

Ha, ha - just seeing if you all were paying attention. Actually, my Laker fan head is spinning about the Dwight Howard trade.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 05:43:31 PM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #237 on: August 10, 2012, 05:05:20 PM »

This one seems to have more info than the others....

Beach Boys Announce Massive Reissue Campaign With 12 Studio Albums and Two Compilations and Absolutely Nothing More In The Future...EVER

by: Rip Testes

The celebration of the Beach Boys‘ 50th anniversary rolls on! Capitol Records has announced it will be launching yet another massive re-issue campaign for the legendary Californian band. The impetus for this campaign came after listening to wire-tapped phone conversations of deranged uber-fan Phil Cohen.

The lead-off releases in this series are two new greatest hits packages. For the cheap, there is ‘The Beach Boys Greatest Hits,’ a compact 20-track collection of the band’s biggest hits. For those who wish to dive in a little deeper and buy this sh*t for the millionth time, there is a deluxe, career-spanning 2CD box entitled ‘Greatest Hits: 50 Big Ones.’ This collection features, as the title suggests, 50 Beach Boys favorites, including two songs from this year’s ‘That’s Why God Made The Radio.’

The box will be issued in a lift-top box package including an expanded booklet with new liner notes and seven postcards. The collection will also be available as digital download — no postcards with that one (although you could probably just pdf the mothertucker if you wanted to, asswipe)!.

In addition to the hits packages, twelve of the band’s albums will also be re-issued. They have been digitally remastered by Mark Linett, who has been behind the board for many of the previous Beach Boys re-masters. The titles being re-issued are: ‘Surfin’ U.S.A.,’ ‘Surfer Girl,’ ‘Little Deuce Coupe,’ ‘Shut Down Volume 2,’ ‘All Summer Long,’ ‘Today!,’ ‘Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!) (even though that album is merely a step backwards into a pool of retarded sexuality and bad poetry about carnivals and yearbook photos),’ ‘Beach Boys Party!,’ ‘Pet Sounds,’ ‘Smiley Smile,’ ‘Sunflower’ and ‘Surf’s Up.’

Most of these titles will feature both mono and stereo mixes, with the exception of ‘Surf’s Up’ and ‘Sunflower,’ as they were never mixed in mono.  ‘Surfin Safari,’ ‘Christmas Album,’ ‘Wild Honey,’ ‘Friends’ or ’20/20′ are not part of this re-issue series and have been deemed sub-par by Capitol records. The master tapes have been destroyed so future editions of these albums can never be released.  Also not in the works is a career-spanning 50th Anniversary box set which will never ever ever be released.

On Sept. 18th, The Grammy Museum in that open sewer Los Angeles will launch a special Beach Boys 50th Anniversary exhibit. Opening night will kick off with ‘An Evening With The Beach Boys,’ which will be a public event featuring a Q&A and acoustic performance by Brian Wilson, Mike Love, Al Jardine, Bruce Johnston, and David Marks.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 05:07:14 PM by Bubba Ho-Tep » Logged
doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 10, 2012, 05:28:59 PM »

"On Sept. 18th, The Grammy Museum in Los Angeles will launch a special Beach Boys 50th Anniversary exhibit. Opening night will kick off with ‘An Evening With The Beach Boys,’ which will be a public event featuring a Q&A and acoustic performance by Brian Wilson, Mike Love, Al Jardine, Bruce Johnston, and David Marks."

Spittake!

took me a while to understand what was going on in this thread. mainly because i thought that veggie was a bokchoy
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 10, 2012, 06:31:04 PM »

I'm starting to believe, based on the inscrutable Andrew Doe's cryptic pronouncements, and the logic of it - why issue a box set repeating the hits and deep cuts already on the new Greatest Hits and 50 2CD box - that the upcoming career spanning box set will be entirely or almost entirely unreleased songs, mixes, instrumental takes and LIVE concert tracks, even complete concerts.  I do think that virtually all of the bonus tracks on the 2 fears will make their appearance on this box set.  While this may limit the box's appeal to the non rabid fan, those casual fans will be buying one or both of the other collections before buying a box set anyway.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: August 10, 2012, 07:09:53 PM »

I hope a box set would mirror the Beatles box set by having all the core studio albums plus a Past Masters type collection featuring non-album singles, B-sides, and whatnot.  Or perhaps it would have to be two box sets because of the large amount of material.

Brow

Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 10, 2012, 08:31:09 PM »

Never let anyone tell you that AGD isn't really a softie deep down.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #242 on: August 10, 2012, 09:48:13 PM »

It really seems like the most logical thing is that the box will be all rarities & unreleased tracks -- with plenty of live and alternate versions of the big hits to bring in semi-casual fans. Maybe called something with 'archives' or 'vaults' in the title. after all, the Pet Sounds Sessions is not exactly for casual fans and it did well.

I would also expect the official announcement very soon. As well as the announcement of the 2nd run of remasters.

!

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: August 10, 2012, 10:22:13 PM »

It really seems like the most logical thing is that the box will be all rarities & unreleased tracks -- with plenty of live and alternate versions of the big hits to bring in semi-casual fans. Maybe called something with 'archives' or 'vaults' in the title. after all, the Pet Sounds Sessions is not exactly for casual fans and it did well.

I would also expect the official announcement very soon. As well as the announcement of the 2nd run of remasters.

!

I don't know about very soon. This announcement is about six weeks before the release of the remastered albums. Assuming the box comes out in November (around the time of TSS) for holiday purchasing, that could mean we won't hear real details about it in late September / early October.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 10, 2012, 10:37:11 PM »

posted this response in the wrong thread last night due to the lateness of the hour and the influence of a terrific Chinese all you can eat buffet. Here's a fresh attempt:

Wrong.  Grin

Yeah, but here's the question - is it still being planned or suggested?

Didn't there used to be a thread for box set content speculation?

Anyways my bet's on the set including remastered Surfin' Safari album, the Carnegie live audio and video material, Wild Honey and Friends stereo albums, 20/20 remaster, a vast quantity of previously unreleased and/or remastered Sunflower and Surf's Up era material (possibly as simulated unreleased album of the era), some SMiLE session leftovers, all Mike's unreleased solo albums and a 4CD presentation of the Teeter Totter Love sessions.

Y'know, the new Japanese Stereo Smiley is so good that this afternoon I caught myself humming the stereo version of IJWMFTT instead of the mono, for the first time.

“We live in divisive times.”
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: August 11, 2012, 02:45:29 AM »

I guarantee you we'll see a vocal only of 'That's Why God Made the Radio' or 'Isn't it Time' on the box.

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 11, 2012, 06:06:24 AM »

Apologies if this point has already been covered: Will the remastered albums (like SURF'S UP) contain bonus tracks (such as "Wouldn't It Be Nice to Live Again?) ?

Thx
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: August 11, 2012, 06:51:08 AM »

Apologies if this point has already been covered: Will the remastered albums (like SURF'S UP) contain bonus tracks (such as "Wouldn't It Be Nice to Live Again?) ?

Thx
Nope, just the album proper on all.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 11, 2012, 08:35:25 AM »

The 2 CD is a nice package to get someone interested in the BB for sure. The box set to follow is very VERY intriguing. Still hope the Doin It Again DVD is not the only release we see from this tour.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 11, 2012, 09:10:02 AM »

I guarantee you we'll see a vocal only of 'That's Why God Made the Radio' or 'Isn't it Time' on the box.

Can't really see the latter, and the former would kind of bring the whole "Jeff shadows everyone bcuz he's teh best!!!11" thing and all the processing to light more than it already is unless said shadowing parts are lowered in the mix and the effects are let up on a bit.

Maybe, though.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx