gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680746 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 11:01:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Details on the new greatest hits albums and remasters  (Read 56052 times)
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: August 09, 2012, 07:17:54 AM »

i have no use for these greatest hits packages.  Luckily I don't have the completist mindset ha.  50 Big Ones is definitely something I'll pass on too, just getting the single on itunes will be good enough for me.  Hopefully the real boxset is where we'll get the good stuff.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 09, 2012, 07:25:24 AM »

And for that matter, why exactly does "Beach" = "Surfing"?

Maybe because their first song was called Surfin' and in response, a promo man named them The Beach Boys? Without the first, you don't get the second.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #152 on: August 09, 2012, 07:26:42 AM »

[Where’s the surfing on Little Deuce Coupe, Shut Down Volume 2, All Summer Long, Today, Summer Days, Pet Sounds, Smile, Smiley Smile, Wild Honey, Friends, 20/20, Sunflower, Surf’s Up, So Tough, Holland, 15 Big Ones, Love You, M.I.U., L.A., etc.?

Warmth of the Sun, Don’t Back Down, Girls on the Beach, Don’t Hurt My Little Sister, California Girls, That’s Not Me, Surf Up, Little Pad, Wild Honey, Diamond Head, Do It Again, Cool Cool Water (SUN-flower), Don’t Go Near The Water, You Need a Mess of Help To Stand Alone, California, It’s OK, Good Time, Kona Coast, Full Sail

« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 07:27:54 AM by Bubba Ho-Tep » Logged
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 09, 2012, 07:29:21 AM »

I wrote this in another thread, but it seems to be focussed on interpersonal board relationship discussions at the moment.

I've already preordered Today, Summer Days and Smiley. I'm considering purchasing the earlier albums for the mono mixes, but I have a general question about them. Are there a lot of discernable and interesting differences between the mono and stereo mixes of those early Beach Boys songs? I'm thinking of the Beatles mixes, and how there are various edits, mistakes, and mixing decisions that pop out at you when you've heard the alternative mix many times. Is the early BB catalog at all like that when going from stereo to mono? Any insights you may have are welcome.
The Mono mixes are always my go-to since they (a) sound really punchy and tight and (b) they are the mixes BW made. Often they have longer fades and other slight edits. If you haven't given the mono early albums a listen then you have a lot to look forward to!

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 09, 2012, 07:29:27 AM »

This is all really great, exciting news, but that cover is so insulting. Capitol and capitalism will go to the grave insisting that the Beach Boys can and should be reduced to their first two years as a band, a surf group, period. It’s pathological at this point. I’ve never, ever seen anyone or anything continually belittled and boxed-in like they have over the decades. Even Christmas Harmonies has a damn surfboard. Just in case, for one brief moment, you might forget that they were/are a surf band. Also, don’t forget that in the overall scope of the group's career, Smile does not exist. Neither does Love You. Kewl.

Their name is The Beach Boys. Lends itself to surfboards. The idea of a band named The Beach Boys being taken too seriously is kinda funny, if you think about it.
I think surf culture and surfboards are pretty boss, myself. Being linked with them isn't a bad thing.

I get that they’re named the BEACH BOYS, i managed to catch that part. This seems to be the go-to response now for this topic, which seems to always miss the point (i suspect on purpose to be glib)--it’s not about being linked to surf culture, or trying to deny that part of their background...it’s about being reduced to it entirely. The good majority of their catalogue has nothing to do with surfing. And it’s irrelevant what one’s opinion is on surfing culture or what kind of image it carries with it; this is about being accurate and not misrepresentative. Obviously the surfing motif is the angle that sells, so it’s been used for decades, there’s nothing new here, but that doesn’t mean it should just be accepted because it’s standard practice. It undermines the vast majority of the music and the group’s legacy simply because it’s an incredibly narrow representation, done so to make more money from the band. How is it okay to represent the entire history of the band by only truly accounting for the first two years when they were kids? Where’s the surfing on Little Deuce Coupe, Shut Down Volume 2, All Summer Long, Today, Summer Days, Pet Sounds, Smile, Smiley Smile, Wild Honey, Friends, 20/20, Sunflower, Surf’s Up, So Tough, Holland, 15 Big Ones, Love You, M.I.U., L.A., etc.? Would it have made sense to have surfboards on those album covers too? Where’s the surfing on anything other than the first three records, which span NOT EVEN A FULL YEAR out of FIFTY YEARS? Taking these two new Greatest Hits releases, on the 1 disc version, there are 3 out of 20 songs that are about surfing: 15%. The 2 disc version has 4 out of 50 songs: 8%. Yet there it is: a gaudy, stock-image-like photo of surfboards lined up on a beach. Isn’t that cheapening the band’s overall career? This is the best way to go about representing the band? To, without fail, do this EVERY TIME? From their very own record label? It’s like we’re caught in an infinity loop. Yes, i get that most of their early music is about escapism and glorifying a simpler life, but there are other metaphors and images that could be used instead of the very specific surf imagery that is used year after year after year. This sort of one-angle dumbing down of a subject in general is a social disease, certainly not just with the Beach Boys.   

Just my two lousy cents.

You are well worded, thought out, obviously passionate, and I respect that. But I disagree that a surfboard, a memorable talisman for their career that doesn't connote anything more than say, Iron Maiden's "Eddie" character on their album covers, cheapens them. People wouldn't be complaining if the album was green-bordered with yellow Pet Sounds type, even tho that is literally the only Beach Boys album that sounds that way.

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: August 09, 2012, 07:32:46 AM »

I don't mind the surfboards. It's a symbol of having fun, and I like having fun. Listening to the deeper songs and enjoying the emotions they give me is in its own way fun too. So surf boards are absolutely OK.

I'm thrilled about the mono versions being issued. Years ago some kind person sent me rips of the old mono vinyls, and they sounded so much better than the ping pong stereo ones. I always hear then when I'm jogging. The only twofers I have are the 1965 to 1971 ones, excluding Party. I don't care for the stereo versions of Fun, Fun, Fun or Wendy... I probably will buy some of them. Not so sure about Today! and Summer Days. Do I really need stereo versions of that? Even if they are much better than the 1960s stereo mixes.

The new GH comps... I have the GV box set, there's more on that than I need to have.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 07:37:50 AM by Micha » Logged

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 09, 2012, 07:43:31 AM »

the cd cover should have the members walking on the beach pimped out with chains around their necks,wearing velvet clothing and hats with feathers with some fine sexy Ho's walking next to them in skimpy bikini and navel rings and it should feature their new song "Ho's on da beach"..which is basically "Smart Girls' with updated lyrics....word yo. Cool Guy
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 09, 2012, 08:01:51 AM »

the cd cover should have the members walking on the beach pimped out with chains around their necks,wearing velvet clothing and hats with feathers with some fine sexy Ho's walking next to them in skimpy bikini and navel rings and it should feature their new song "Ho's on da beach"..which is basically "Smart Girls' with updated lyrics....word yo. Cool Guy

This.

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
JanBerryFarm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 09, 2012, 08:42:10 AM »

Stereo version of 409...

what next ?  Roll Eyes

~Hawaiian Shirts Are For Barneys~
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 09, 2012, 09:11:41 AM »

And for that matter, why exactly does "Beach" = "Surfing"?

... because it did on their first album.  And their second.  And their third.  And their.... well, you get the picture.

Waiiiiit, no you still don't get the picture.  You must be a moron. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 09, 2012, 09:13:48 AM »

Yright, of course, and no-one uses pics of insects on Beatles covers either.

No, but they use a guitar.  It's in the logo.

So that means that the Beatles are reduced to a guitar.  We should be up in arms at this horrible atrocity.  What about ringo.  WHAT ABOUT RINGO mo'fos!!!!

Also, why is the piano ignored?  WHY DOES CAPITOL INSIST ON LABELING THE BEATLES AS A GUITAR BAND WHEN THEY SOMETIMES PLAYED THE PIANO!!!!!!?Huh??!!!!!

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 09, 2012, 09:18:27 AM »

Yright, of course, and no-one uses pics of insects on Beatles covers either.

No, but they use a guitar.  It's in the logo.

So that means that the Beatles are reduced to a guitar.  We should be up in arms at this horrible atrocity.  What about ringo.  WHAT ABOUT RINGO MOTHERf***ERS!!!!

Also, why is the piano ignored?  WHY DOES CAPITOL INSIST ON LABELING THE BEATLES AS A GUITAR BAND WHEN THEY SOMETIMES PLAYED THE PIANO!!!!!!?Huh??!!!!!

The Beatles logo (I'm thinking of the uber-famous one with the drop-T) doesn't have a guitar in it. The Monkees, on the other hand....

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 09, 2012, 09:24:59 AM »

Good point!

So that means that the Monkees are reduced to a guitar.  We should be up in arms at this horrible atrocity.  What about Micky.  WHAT ABOUT MICKY MOTHERf***ERS!!!!

Also, why is the piano ignored?  WHY DOES CAPITOL INSIST ON LABELING THE MONKEES AS A GUITAR BAND WHEN THEY SOMETIMES PLAYED THE PIANO!!!!!!???!!!!!

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 09, 2012, 09:28:16 AM »

Good point!

So that means that the Monkees are reduced to a guitar.  We should be up in arms at this horrible atrocity.  What about Micky.  WHAT ABOUT MICKY MOTHERf***ERS!!!!

Also, why is the piano ignored?  WHY DOES CAPITOL INSIST ON LABELING THE MONKEES AS A GUITAR BAND WHEN THEY SOMETIMES PLAYED THE PIANO!!!!!!???!!!!!

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/humility
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 09, 2012, 09:54:21 AM »

Cabinessenecking asked has there ever been a good BB comp.  It was by no means complete and had a few really weird choices but I loved the Sunshine Dream cassette and 2 vinyl lp set.  I remember I had to buy a second cassette as it was a really long comp and I played it so much it got stretched out.  Lots of post 66 material.  Again it was in NO WAY complete but I loved the non obvious selection of tracks.  Anyone else remember and like this comp?  Crazy weird cover too.  I'll try to dig it out and post the the track listing (although someone will undoubtedly beat me to it).

With respect to the new releases I will buy the 50 Big Ones (Have to have the new version of IIT on cd) and ALL of the reissued albums on cd.  Some may say I am a sucker completist (probably true, although I am passing on the single disc best of).  I do REALLY REALLY hope for lots of rarities on the upcoming box set though...
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: August 09, 2012, 09:56:37 AM »

Me too. I'll buy this regardless of what's on the box. Can't wait.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 09, 2012, 09:59:07 AM »

Cabinessenecking asked has there ever been a good BB comp.  It was by no means complete and had a few really weird choices but I loved the Sunshine Dream cassette and 2 vinyl lp set.  I remember I had to buy a second cassette as it was a really long comp and I played it so much it got stretched out.  Lots of post 66 material.  Again it was in NO WAY complete but I loved the non obvious selection of tracks.  Anyone else remember and like this comp?  Crazy weird cover too.  I'll try to dig it out and post the the track listing (although someone will undoubtedly beat me to it).

Yep, that was a good one. It had deeper cuts because it was the third in the set of Capitol double comps, after Endless Summer and Spirit Of America. But what an awful cover. Anyone who thinks the new comp covers are bad should look at that one.

RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 09, 2012, 10:08:01 AM »

I thought the "Classics Selected by Brian Wilson" is a great compilation and single handedly turned me into a Beach Boys nut.
It has lots of deep cuts and hits too. It's certainly enough to represent all of their high points.

Even in the liner notes Brian says he would have included "The Night Was So Young" and a few others too if he had the chance.
pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 09, 2012, 10:12:10 AM »

Perhaps someone has touched on this, but since we know that Mark Linett has done some work on a stereo "Wild Honey" mix, and the song Wild Honey is on 50BO's, perhaps we will see a new stereo mix of said track. That would be enough to make me shell out the money for the CD's.

Also - I don't hate the cover art, but there are so many cool images of the band out there I don't understand why all of these recent compilations never use them.

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 09, 2012, 10:27:22 AM »

Perhaps someone has touched on this, but since we know that Mark Linett has done some work on a stereo "Wild Honey" mix, and the song Wild Honey is on 50BO's, perhaps we will see a new stereo mix of said track. That would be enough to make me shell out the money for the CD's.

This.

It would not surprise me at all if the set features all the new mixes, meaning stereo Good Vibes etc.

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 09, 2012, 10:30:01 AM »

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 09, 2012, 10:39:23 AM »

The Time-Life one is pure genius, especially the Al Jardine body.

Mark H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 09, 2012, 10:49:45 AM »

I like the image for the GH set, the 50 Big Ones cover doesn't need '50 big ones, greatest hits' though as it's too busy.  Just put 'Big Ones' under the BB50 logo in the same font.

I won't buy any of the remastered albums until we know that the other main albums are getting the same treatment.  At least the missing 60's albums and hopefully C&TP, Holland and the late 70s stuff (especially Love You).

I'll certainly 'acquire' the new albums when they become available but won't start paying cash for an incomplete collection.

Hopefully the box will be 'rarities' focused as we have 2 new GH sets for Joe Public.

Ideally a 'complete box' of remastered albums AND a multi disc rarities set.

If we end up getting basically an updated GV box I will be dissapointed.

Having said that I'm seeing The Beach Boys live next month (never thought I'd say that) and I love TWGMTR and TSS so as a fan I feel spoiled already!

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 09, 2012, 10:51:05 AM »

I would have liked an updated version of the 15 Big Ones cover. Oh Earcandy!!!!!!  Grin
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 09, 2012, 10:52:01 AM »

If folks don't buy the first wave of reissues, the second wave may never hit the shore, at least in the USA.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx