gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:44:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hang On To Your Answer...  (Read 2142 times)
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: April 13, 2006, 05:56:27 PM »

I Know There's An Answer is one of my favorite songs off Pet Sounds.  Even though I prefer the lyrics of Hang On To Your Ego (Not a cop out) and also Brian's vocal delivery.

Anyways, I like the original version, but I also like Take 2, in which the woodwind phrases at the end of the final version are throughout the whole song.  So I combined Take 2 with the vocal only track from the box.  Just cutting and pasting doesn't work, but pasting each vocal section on top of its corresponding part of the song does.  The rythm is a bit off in some spots, but it works surprisingly well.  Never fault the wrecking crew for lack of consistency.  After the first jazzy instrumental break the rest of the song is the final version.  So I've virtually only changed the backing track of the first half of the song.  I think Brian might've removed the woodwind section because it got in the way of the vocals, but I think it sounds nice.  What do you guys think?

Call it revisionism or sacrilege but its here if you want to listen to it:

http://rapidshare.de/files/17948602/I_Know_There_s_An_Answer__With_Woodwinds_.mp3.html

Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 08:19:39 PM »

Very listenable actually.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 10:25:47 AM »

What a strange production this song has. The song itself isn't that odd besides from the jazzy instrumental break, but all of these woodwinds playing odd melodies through the verse are odd.

Interesting listen, provides more insight into what went on in producing the album as we own it today.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
theCOD
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 01:42:58 AM »

It sounds great!
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 06:15:41 PM »

Thanks for the comments.  I probably could do a better job pasting the vocals, but I think the slight differences in rhythm between the two takes prevent a perfect match. 

I always think it's facsinating to discover the little things like this that Brian would change while recording.  The concept of complex, yet organic and changing arrangements has always been one of my favorite things about his music.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx