gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:33:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Which do you prefer?
Beach Boys' Party! - 25 (49%)
Stack-O-Tracks - 26 (51%)
Total Voters: 45

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Twofer polls #9: Beach Boys' Party vs Stack-O-Tracks  (Read 6950 times)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2012, 03:15:26 PM »

So things got pretty heated in poll 8, no thanks to me.

Perhaps a less contentious pairing is in order .... for now!

Kind of an oddball this one in that the albums are so obviously different. I'd say Party by a landslide, but all those gorgeous Brian tracks on Stack make for a pretty unique lp.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 03:30:29 PM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 03:41:13 PM »

I don't think I'll vote either way. Both are cool for their own reasons. I much prefer listening to the Party! material in varying forms on a certain 'Ocean of Songs' release. Stack O Tracks is a nice listen, but then again, I like to listen to backing tracks on releases associated with the series of releases mentioned previously. Will be interesting to see how this poll turns out though...

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 03:45:24 PM »

Stack-o-Tracks.

'Specially the twofer version with the California Girls instrumental.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 03:50:42 PM »

I like 'em both, but I love hearing the backing tracks more than hearing all the party overdubs. As EgoHanger1966 noted, the availability of "earlier state" recordings has provided us with a "purer" listening experience--particularly for the Party! tracks, and this might be subtly altering my preference here.

Heck, the backing track to "Sloop John B." is arguably as mind-blowing as the vocal version...
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 04:03:56 PM »

Party.

Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 04:06:21 PM »

People forget that Party has some of ML's best leads on record. When he gets into that semi R&B stuff, in a relaxed atmosphere, he's unbeatable.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 04:35:31 PM »

So things got pretty heated in poll 8, thanks to me. 

Fixed, you're welcome.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 04:56:51 PM »

Gotta be Party! for me in this round, another of my favorite Beach Boys albums. There's No Other and Devoted To You in particular, are hall-of-fame Beach Boys performances. I love the lack of pretension, and the self-mockery throughout. I wish some other groups would have attempted something similar. The fact that the Beach Boys did Party is just another reason why they are the greatest.
Stack O' Tracks is great too, excepting some questionable song choices (had no need to hear Little Saint Nick sans vocals).

oldsurferdude
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 05:35:16 PM »

Gotta be SOT, man-harmonies are way better than Party.  Thud Head Spin
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 07:11:18 PM »

I'm goin' Party!

While Stack obviously showcased Brian's compositional and production thang across the Capital years, Party is just a brilliant l'il idea (and kudos to that stroke of genius) that's a great listen and, imo, is a prime example of the BB style of humour.

And despite the fact it's the origin of the endlessly dubious live exorcism that is Barbara-freakin' Ann.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 11:07:46 PM »

So things got pretty heated in poll 8, thanks to me.  

Fixed, you're welcome.

Fixed what? I was taking responsibility in the opening post, you chump.

Hey moron .... You can relax. It's over. Go fix yourself a drink, change your underwear, and enjoy the next poll! Wink

(try not to shovel your idiosyncratic, crackpot opinions down everyone's throat like it's the original stone tablet this time though, ok?)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 03:14:46 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 04:34:56 AM »

Devoted To You is beautiful and it's cool to hear the Boys do three Beatles songs, but I don't really care for Party. Not a very interesting album, the I Get Around/Little Deuce Coupe medley is terrible and the fact that this album gave us Barbara Ann also doesn't help.

It's always interesting to hear instrumental mixes like on Stack-O-Tracks. It always blows my mind how well many Beach Boys songs stand up both instrumentally and a capella. It makes you realize even more how amazing those songs really are.

So Stack-O-Tracks for me.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 06:13:45 AM by shelter » Logged
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 05:56:34 AM »

Devoted To You is beautiful and it's cool to hear the Boys do three Beatles songs, but I don't really care for Party. Not a very interesting album, the I Get Around/Little Deuce Coupe medley is terrible and the fact that this album gave us Barbara Ann also doesn't help.

I was a big fan of Barbara Ann as a kid, and its appeal hasn't diminished much for me all these years later! It was a boon to discover there was a whole album performed in the same loose style. I agree though that the I Get Around spoof is a low point of the album. Highpoints for me are the Beatles covers, Hully Gully and There's No Other. Oh and Barbara Ann, of course.

Stack is great but feels a bit obsolete when I can put all my own backing tracks together in Itunes. At the time though, for the real fan, I bet it was an eye opener.

So Party for me.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 07:01:25 AM »

Hey moron .... You can relax. It's over. Go fix yourself a drink, change your underwear, and enjoy the next poll! Wink

(try not to shovel your idiosyncratic, crackpot opinions down everyone's throat like it's the original stone tablet this time though, ok?)

OK, I'll do that.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 07:47:01 AM by I. Spaceman » Logged

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 07:02:30 AM »

« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 01:49:56 PM by I. Spaceman » Logged

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 01:44:56 PM »

I must admit I never listen to Stack-O-Tracks.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2012, 01:53:45 PM »

I like SOT just for the ability to slap it in Adobe Audition, and do my own vocals.

As for Party, it's a little corny, but in a good way. It gets my vote.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
bluesno1fann
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2014, 02:23:05 AM »

Stack-O-Tracks. Only because I really don't care for Beach Boys' Party
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2014, 09:09:04 AM »

Has anyone from the group ever said the Party album was inspired by the "frat rock" sound at the time?
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2014, 01:22:49 PM »

I've never really liked Party! Just the 45 of "Barbara Ann" would have been enough for me.

SOT gets my vote if only for the track of "Salt Lake City"----simply stunning. 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx