gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:19:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 60: Hans-Martin-Schleyer Halle - Stuttgart, Germany August 4th, 2012  (Read 15936 times)
Surfing Moose
Smiley Smile Associate

violation of §12: failing to surf...

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2012, 09:15:51 AM »

No topic yet, thought the concert was yesterday?

Setlist:

Do It Again
Little Honda
Catch a Wave
Hawaii
Don't Back Down
Surfin' Safari
Surfer Girl
You're So Good to Me
Then I Kissed Her
Please Let Me Wonder
Getcha Back
Wendy
Kiss Me, Baby
Come Go with Me
Why Do Fools Fall in Love
When I Grow Up (to Be a Man)
Disney Girls
Marcella
California Saga: California
It's OK
Ballad of Ole' Betsy
Be True to Your School
Don't Worry Baby
Little Deuce Coupe
Shut Down
I Get Around
Pet Sounds
(David Marks on lead guitar with backing band)
Add Some Music to Your Day
Sail on, Sailor
Heroes and Villains
I Just Wasn't Made for These Times
All This Is That
Darlin'
Cotton Fields
That's Why God Made the Radio
In My Room
God Only Knows
California Dreamin'
Sloop John B
Wouldn't It Be Nice
Good Vibrations
California Girls
Help Me, Rhonda
Rock and Roll Music
Do You Wanna Dance?
Surfin' USA

Encore:
Kokomo
Barbara Ann
Fun, Fun, Fun

- - - -

Anyone attend?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 09:17:18 AM by Surfing Moose » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 09:40:48 AM »

Here's another glowing review, this time for the concert in Stuttgart:

http://www.myheimat.de/stuttgart-ost/kultur/beach-boys-in-stuttgart-das-rad-der-zeit-nach-hinten-gedreht-d2434191.html

These pictures come from that article:

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Surfing Moose
Smiley Smile Associate

violation of §12: failing to surf...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 10:55:17 AM »

Taken from this review:

http://www.stuttgarter-zeitung.de/inhalt.beach-boys-in-stuttgart-feuerwerk-am-neckarstrandbad.e553a4fd-0e48-4b56-822f-f577ccf21016.html

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 11:12:12 AM »

Nice pics and a very interesting review. Reading the reports about Berlin and Stuttgart you really have the feeling that no one expected the Beach Boys to be this good. They blew everyone away !

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 11:23:04 AM »

That's a pretty wonderful setlist, too

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 02:18:43 PM »

I just wish they'd ditch sodding Come Go With Me. There are songs so much more deserving of being performed. If they want to represent that particular period there are ample good songs to choose from, such as Good Timin'.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 03:02:41 PM »

I just wish they'd ditch sodding Come Go With Me. There are songs so much more deserving of being performed. If they want to represent that particular period there are ample good songs to choose from, such as Good Timin'.

I'm not a fan of the Beach Boys' version of that song. I love the original by the Del-Vikings though. But the crowds go crazy for this tune when the BBs play it.

- Jack Rieley
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 03:26:25 PM »

They did have a top 20 hit with Come Go With me. It should be Why Do Fools Fall in Love? that gets the ditch. Keep the cover you had a hit with, you don't need 2 doowop covers but still this is all minor complaining still a great setlist.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 03:59:15 PM »

They did have a top 20 hit with Come Go With me. It should be Why Do Fools Fall in Love? that gets the ditch. Keep the cover you had a hit with, you don't need 2 doowop covers but still this is all minor complaining still a great setlist.

Well, Why Do Fools... is in a different league to Come Go With Me but if the audience love it then what can ya do... I'd be happy if they ditched Getcha back as well, and i'd be very pissed off if i'd paid to come and watch one of these shows only to discover they've scrapped the Carl and Dennis tributes. No Dennis track? Shameful.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 04:04:43 PM »

Why do fools is a musical highlight of these shows. It is beautiful, as those who attended concur.

Come go is a great showcase for Al's voice. It works for me every time.

Nothing wrong with those two.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 04:54:17 PM »

As I look at the coverage here--and thanks to so many for making this amazing tour so accessible to those who aren't in a position to make it to any of the shows--I'm stunned at the resilience of the Beach Boys. I know they're pros and all that, but g-d what a grind, especially at their age! The length/breadth of the concerts are nothing but praiseworthy--and even more amazing, they seem to be getting better as they go along! A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!

Too bad they can't/couldn't find a way to take a couple of requests from the audience--not in real time, of course, that would be chaos--but through some poll mechanism on the Internet. Perhaps a few of the "deep cuts" that a number of folks have wanted to hear might make it into the set on occasion.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 06:25:10 PM »

I'm not a fan of the Beach Boys' version of that song. I love the original by the Del-Vikings though. But the crowds go crazy for this tune when the BBs play it.

I rarely, if ever, listen to the studio rendition of Come Go With Me, however, the live version I heard from this tour really impressed me, and I absolutely adored Al's lead vocal.  He sounded powerful singing this song.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 05:06:58 AM »

Why do fools is a musical highlight of these shows. It is beautiful, as those who attended concur.

I wouldn't call it a highlight but it is a very good performance and gets the crowd going. The only thing I think isn't that good is the doubling of Jeff and Scott. In Berlin it sounded a little shrill and scratchy (to me). Maybe only one voice for the lead would be better

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 02:49:44 PM »

Just a few clips. There are more on youtube.

I get around (look at that crowd):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c577b9HlEo

God only knows:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4BJiYFLpZo

Sloop J B/WIBN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac-6xGftETo

- Jack Rieley
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 04:22:48 PM »

Stuttgart was even better with “Marcella” being in the set and the audience going really wild, though it seemed to me there weren't that many young people there like in Berlin. While waiting outside the arena we heard the Boys doing their sound check and they ran through “Let Him Run Wild” three times. Bruce this time didn't play a wrong note on “Disney Girls” like the day before, instead his voice once didn't nail the right tone. Still a great performance. I was only disappointed by David Marks quite a bit. I don't mind if he wants to improvise on his solos but he played some really weird licks and there were more than just one bum note there and you could really tell by his face expressions that he wasn't happy with them either. I think it was at this concert that Al muffed “Cottonfields”. “God Only Knows” got some great responses by the crowd. During all 3 concerts Brian didn't really seem to be in a great mood, I thought it was hilarious every time the camera guy  came to his side. Brian was nervous, always looked for him and then even encouraged him to take some pics. Brian put on his smile and it went as fast as you can imagine after the cam guy was gone. Al burned his hand during “Add Some Music”, I couldn't make out what was on Brian's piano but it's there every night. At one point Jeff made fun of Brian and I really felt sorry for him because it didn't seem that Brian was too happy about that. Jeff, well he sang and played great but near the end he seemed almost drunk by dancing on stage and laughing while singing. He even skipped the intro to “Barbara Ann” and the whole band got out of rhythm and you just had to see the look of Scott Totten. Al walked around during “Kokomo” with his tambourine and I don't remember  seeing him sing once into a mic. Stuttgart was very enjoyable and we got our Beach Boys program there, which is lovely put together.

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 04:34:16 PM »

Stuttgart was even better with “Marcella” being in the set and the audience going really wild, though it seemed to me there weren't that many young people there like in Berlin. While waiting outside the arena we heard the Boys doing their sound check and they ran through “Let Him Run Wild” three times. Bruce this time didn't play a wrong note on “Disney Girls” like the day before, instead his voice once didn't nail the right tone. Still a great performance. I was only disappointed by David Marks quite a bit. I don't mind if he wants to improvise on his solos but he played some really weird licks and there were more than just one bum note there and you could really tell by his face expressions that he wasn't happy with them either. I think it was at this concert that Al muffed “Cottonfields”. “God Only Knows” got some great responses by the crowd. During all 3 concerts Brian didn't really seem to be in a great mood, I thought it was hilarious every time the camera guy  came to his side. Brian was nervous, always looked for him and then even encouraged him to take some pics. Brian put on his smile and it went as fast as you can imagine after the cam guy was gone. Al burned his hand during “Add Some Music”, I couldn't make out what was on Brian's piano but it's there every night. At one point Jeff made fun of Brian and I really felt sorry for him because it didn't seem that Brian was too happy about that. Jeff, well he sang and played great but near the end he seemed almost drunk by dancing on stage and laughing while singing. He even skipped the intro to “Barbara Ann” and the whole band got out of rhythm and you just had to see the look of Scott Totten. Al walked around during “Kokomo” with his tambourine and I don't remember  seeing him sing once into a mic. Stuttgart was very enjoyable and we got our Beach Boys program there, which is lovely put together.

I understand the concerts were great, and you had a great time... Although the report seems to stress the odd, the bad and the ugly.

BTW, regarding Jeff, as capable a singer as he is, and such a faithful band member, I think he is pushing himself to his limits. BW solo tours were never this intense, and he's on a schedule like he was 25 years ago... only that these shows are longer and more demanding than those of the late 80s. Also, his role is different now. He has to MC, be nice all the time, he is more active, has to cover BW if needed... I mean, he's 56 or something and he's pulling off these extremely hard parts every night! It's unusual to see a falsettist his age, in rock groups, perform such an extraordinary task every day for two hours. He's a hero.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2012, 10:41:43 AM »

The Stuttgart videos, on some I missed the first couple of seconds.  Undecided

Disney Girls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAe-RkkJiHQ

Marcella

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmZyCh7GJ7E

California Saga

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3z-atKV8W8

Sail On Sailor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkCL7p8BQuc

Heroes & Villains

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3cEjN6KXBw

I Just Wasn't Made For These Times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh9TjPkrcdY

All This Is That

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXyIqX-JQ7E

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
G.C
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2012, 10:43:27 AM »

Let Him Run Wild?!

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx