gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:50:31 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Is "Ten Little Indians" vaguely racist?
Yes. - 14 (18.4%)
No. - 25 (32.9%)
piss up a rope, rope pisser - 37 (48.7%)
Total Voters: 67

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Poll: Is "Ten Little Indians" vaguely racist?  (Read 22794 times)
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2012, 11:17:55 AM »

Play it for a Native American friend, and let me know how they feel about it, and how it makes you feel to play it for them.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2012, 11:33:27 AM »

Technically anyone born in the USA to American citizens are Native Americans.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2012, 12:19:52 PM »

Thank you.  My PC liberal friends go nuts when I call myself a native American.Naturally, i do it on purpose.
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2012, 12:56:22 PM »

Is it racist? Of course it is. Not even vaguely.

But that doesn't mean I'm going to round up all my Beach Boys records and throw them on a bonfire.

A bunch of kids in 1962 record a little nursery rhyme, almost surely without question. It goes out to a listening public that accepts it without question. Not that they bought many copies, mind.

All the while, this harmless little ditty, no matter how you slice it, references and reinforces racist, destructive cultural attitudes. It's easy to see that now. We're far enough removed from the genocide to admit that. But let us not demonize. I haven't heard of many people groups throughout history who have hesitated to stomp the boot on another people group. It's human nature, and it's not pretty.

So I don't hold it against the Beach Boys. Some of my best friends are racists after all.

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
PhilCohen
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2012, 03:16:25 PM »

"Ten Little Indians" was nowhere near as bad as "Indian Giver" by "The 1910 Fruitgum Company".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2012, 03:24:20 PM »

It's not derogatory in intent and the generalisations are no worse than those in California Girls, Little Miss America (new thread: is the latter sexist?) or Pom Pom Playgirl.

“We live in divisive times.”
SBonilla
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2012, 03:48:50 PM »

Thank you.  My PC liberal friends go nuts when I call myself a native American.Naturally, i do it on purpose.

No thank you. The term 'native born American' will do.

They're really your friends?
Jason
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2012, 05:51:09 PM »

You folks are all judging the song by 21st century "Politically Correct" standards. Remember:The song was recorded in 1962.

Agreed. And, a trend in many literature and humanities classes. I find it irresponsible to use a 21st century "lens" in an historic context.  And, it is generally accepted that if you don't agree with the professor, your grade will suffer. 

Critical thinking, I think requires looking at the "context" and social and political circumstances of the respective art or music; not using a 21st century technological standard, retrospectively. 

Had those people lived today, they might think differently. And those folk and fairy tales/chants and music, were largely a part of oral history, not unlike the troubadour models of the Middle Ages.

Yes, because we're all f***ed if the students don't agree with a professor with a double-digit IQ and a triple-digit income.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2012, 08:53:00 PM »

Well, this was taken worlds more seriously than I thought it'd be.

Yes, because we're all f***ed if the students don't agree with a professor with a double-digit IQ and a triple-digit income.

I believe you're thinking of airport security.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2012, 07:31:58 AM »

Agatha Christie wrote a book Ten Little Indians in 1939. The title was changed for the American market.

Both those statements are true, however in that combination they are totally misleading. TLI was the revised US title: the book was originally published in the UK as Ten Little n******. My point is that tastes in everything change with time and culture. What seems racist to some now was a perfectly acceptable substitute 60-odd years ago.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
BB Universe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2012, 08:13:37 AM »

In today's PC world, some of the songs that are made today are really deragatory about some group (women, race, etc.). Intentionally so or trying "to make a statement".
Compared to some of today's music, songs like TLI or some of the others mentioned in this thread (ex. Pom Pom Girl, Indian Giver) just seem so innocent and it is doubtful any "statement" or "intention" was trying to be made by them.
Also, back then if there was something "off color" it might have been censored (certainly on TV); now even though a PC world, there seems to be more tolerance to expression (reference some of the songs today).
Different times. Or as the BB just sang: "Strange World".
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2012, 09:58:05 AM »

They should've released their rendition of Running Bear on 15BO - then we could have a whole notha' thread for that!

Whether or not, sheez - it's a circular argument and it can't be resolved. Right up there with Cleveland Indians ballcaps et al. Or sixites teevee...F Troop anyone?

Sensitivity becomes its own religion. Sometimes it's as if Lenny Bruce never lived.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2012, 10:32:05 AM »

They should've released their rendition of Running Bear on 15BO - then we could have a whole notha' thread for that!

Whether or not, sheez - it's a circular argument and it can't be resolved. Right up there with Cleveland Indians ballcaps et al. Or sixites teevee...F Troop anyone?

Sensitivity becomes its own religion. Sometimes it's as if Lenny Bruce never lived.

Or they're unfamiliar with his work. Or they have a knee-jerk reaction to certain words and dismiss him then and there without considering context or listening to the very valid message he has on the subject.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2012, 12:20:06 PM »

Agatha Christie wrote a book Ten Little Indians in 1939. The title was changed for the American market.

Both those statements are true, however in that combination they are totally misleading. TLI was the revised US title: the book was originally published in the UK as Ten Little n******. My point is that tastes in everything change with time and culture. What seems racist to some now was a perfectly acceptable substitute 60-odd years ago.

Yes, that N word is offensive, because it has nothing to do with being black. It just happens to sound like negro, which does mean black in spanish. Although, because it sounds like the other n word, I don't use that one either. I don't care for the term 'colored' either.  Just curious though, where did 'red' first get used for native Americans? Is that what white people called them? Are native Americans offended by this?

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2012, 12:47:25 PM »

I dunno. Ask an upper middle class, white PC twit if it is, they seem to decide what others find offensive for them.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2012, 01:27:13 PM »

No thank you. The term 'native born American' will do.

They're really your friends?

More-so than I would have ever imagined.  Seriously, I get along with everybody.  Even PC liberals. Heck, when I was a student at UC Berkeley around 1970 I even befriended a communist.  A communist!! He liked the Beach Boys.  What can I say?
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2012, 05:15:42 PM »

This is quickly getting into sandbox territory.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2012, 08:30:34 PM »

I agree that "The Trader" alone is complete redemption. Move along now, nothing else to see here.
Al Jardine: Pick Up Artist
Smiley Smile Associate

I am an asexual walrus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2012, 10:23:09 PM »

Welp.

I played it for a native american friend. Two, actually.

Both seemed kinda uncomfortable while listening.

We just shrugged and gave each other looks, and then forgot the whole thing.

Which song: Inappropriate relationship with sister-in-law

Which song: Gonna straight up bang you with "the wood".

Which song: Weather conditions make me horny

Which song: Lack of proper shoes leads to potential blood poisoning and death.

Which song: Who needs church? Let's do it on the couch.

Dennis: "Holy sh*t, Al, you're finally showing signs of developing facial hair!!!"
JanBerryFarm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2012, 10:34:20 PM »

the few indian beach boy fans that I know personally love that song.

At least 12% of you are pc chowderheads.

~Hawaiian Shirts Are For Barneys~
Billgoodman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2012, 02:41:10 AM »

Slightly off topic, but has there ever been a time that wasn't political correct?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2012, 04:47:43 AM »

Slightly off topic, but has there ever been a time that wasn't political correct?

Yeah, to the extent that it is today, I'd say prior to the early 1990's.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2012, 05:08:25 AM »

There are many criticisms of Disney versions of folk and fairy tales but on the whole, i think they do a pretty good job with authenticity. One of my favorite Disney movies is Beauty and the Beast (La Belle et la bęte) where the creators went back to the original French music manuscripts of the era (Ashman and Menken) to use for the soundtrack.

Does one skip teaching this song which is probably steeped in violent underepinnings or create a subsequent teaching opportunity and include the history of these tales in high school when young people can learn the historic back story but value the language piece as a teaching tool for young children's early development?  

Well, Song of the South has been well and truly buried in the archives, p'rhaps never to be seen again despite it's zippy lead song.

I think you make a great point, to aknowledge and recognise the time and cultural context of an, err, text and take the opportunity to learn appropriately; whether or not it was acceptable at the time.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
SBonilla
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2012, 07:47:58 AM »

At least 12% of you are pc chowderheads.
Would the other 88% be punkinheads or just intolerant?
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2012, 04:27:51 PM »

Considering how innocent the lyrics are (basically about a bunch of boys trying to impress a girl) I can't even believe this is seriously being discussed here.

If the word "Indian" is so utterly offensive, someone should go tell AIM that. The American Indian Movement is the organization that generally polices how American Indigenous Americans are portrayed in the media. They've never called the song into question.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx