gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:34:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Is "Ten Little Indians" vaguely racist?
Yes. - 14 (18.4%)
No. - 25 (32.9%)
piss up a rope, rope pisser - 37 (48.7%)
Total Voters: 67

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Poll: Is "Ten Little Indians" vaguely racist?  (Read 22805 times)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« on: August 02, 2012, 08:27:05 PM »

IS IT

EDIT: SMILEYS ARE DISABLED IN THIS THREAD
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 09:32:40 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 08:30:04 PM »

yeh, it is. not vaguely.

MBE
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 09:22:36 PM »

Not by 1962 standards.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 10:01:03 PM »

I don't believe the term Indian in reference to Native Americans is racist. Wrong? Yes. Not racist. I will go as far as to say that the Washington Redskins is not racist. No more so then the Boston Celtics.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 10:53:00 PM »

The world was different back then. And really, in my opinion it is just an innocent little song. It's not like they are encouraging people to hate Indians. It's just a... wild west love story. A precursor if Heroes and Villains, even?

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 11:39:55 PM »

Mike pronouncing it "injuns" doesn't make it better.  Azn
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 02:07:07 AM »

Once you learn about the origins of what became the "Ten Little Indians" phrase, then it becomes VERY racist.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 03:04:19 AM »

Rio Grande would be racist for that matter.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 03:34:22 AM »

Rio Grande would be racist for that matter.
Hell, might as well pull every Western movie ever made with Native Americans in it. This song is an extension of the original ditty we all learned as kids.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
BB Universe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 06:20:05 AM »

Agree with Mike Eder's comment: not back in 1962.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 06:29:27 AM »

I don't believe the term Indian in reference to Native Americans is racist. Wrong? Yes. Not racist. I will go as far as to say that the Washington Redskins is not racist. No more so then the Boston Celtics.

In cases like this, it comes down to what the dominated culture feels, not the dominant culture. The dominant culture rarely if ever has considered their own racism to be racist.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 06:31:34 AM »

Not by 1962 standards.

Wellllll....1962 white person's standards, yes.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 06:41:14 AM »

In cases like this, it comes down to what the dominated culture feels, not the dominant culture. The dominant culture rarely if ever has considered their own racism to be racist.

Quoted for truth. I too believe that if a dominated culture is offended by a depiction of their culture in film, conversation, song, etc, it's insensitive and too easy to turn around from a position of privilege and tell a culture "that's not racist because of x,y,z".

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2012, 06:50:27 AM »

In our 2012 "politically correct" society, it seems like people make everything out to be racist.
"Ten Little Indians" isnt.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2012, 06:54:58 AM »

IS IT

EDIT: SMILEYS ARE DISABLED IN THIS THREAD

Nursery rhymes and traditional childrens' music, often has either violent or subversive undertones.  While in undergrad in Early Childhood, I had the task of reading the "real" versions of Grimm, some of the folk tales, some which take strands from the Middle East, and certainly European and Scandinavia.  Rapunzel is an interesting one.  Ring around the Rosie' is another one. Ten Little Indians is usually connected to the Irish Folk tune "Michael Finnegan" and is listed by wiki as Roud Folk Song index #13512.

That said, kids who come to school without some language system, or rhyming poetry schema, whether politically correct or not, often don't know how to count, or the days of the week.   So, as awful as some of them are, with their background and foundation, there is a certain skill set that is taught with these little children's songs.  So the question becomes, whether we use this music and poetry/folk tales/ fairy tales, etc., to teach a skill set and early language development or look for a new model to hand down to our children and grandchildren.

There are many criticisms of Disney versions of folk and fairy tales but on the whole, i think they do a pretty good job with authenticity. One of my favorite Disney movies is Beauty and the Beast (La Belle et la bête) where the creators went back to the original French music manuscripts of the era (Ashman and Menken) to use for the soundtrack.

Does one skip teaching this song which is probably steeped in violent underepinnings or create a subsequent teaching opportunity and include the history of these tales in high school when young people can learn the historic back story but value the language piece as a teaching tool for young children's early development?  
SBonilla
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2012, 07:09:08 AM »

Somehow Gary Usher, Brian and Murry knew how to easily generate a copyright by adapting public domain material. It worked on Red River Rock, Nut Rocker, La Bamba and many other pop tunes. They needed material in a hurry and came up with the Ten Little Indians. I think it was that simple. I don't think they gave it a second thought about its potential to offend anyone.

When this song came out I was 9. I still had my Little Black Sambo book and a Bozo the Clown record (I also had Raindrops by Dee Clark and Monster Mash). The only version of Eeny, Meeny, Miny, Moe I knew was the the one we don't say anymore. And on some Sunday mornings my mom and dad would take me and my brothers to Sambo's, a pancake house franchise. That was then...

« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 07:11:00 AM by SBonilla » Logged
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2012, 07:41:46 AM »

In our 2012 "politically correct" society, it seems like people make everything out to be racist.
"Ten Little Indians" isnt.

The song reduces Natives to the same set of of cliched stereotypes that were concocted by white intellectuals as a way to characterize all Natives as "different" and therefore inferior to more progressive Anglos. Of course, I'm not saying the boys sat down and purposefully tried to demonize Natives but they are employing a long-standing discourse that worked to Other the Native population in order to justify colonial expansion and cultural exploitation. I dn't think this is particularly controversial.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 07:42:42 AM by rockandroll » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2012, 07:57:10 AM »

Even if it is racist or a stereotype, they more than made up for it ten years later with The Trader.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2012, 08:02:39 AM »

Even if it is racist or a stereotype, they more than made up for it ten years later with The Trader.

And Heroes and Villains/Do You Like Worms (though the latter didn't officially come out for years).
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2012, 08:28:09 AM »

Mike pronouncing it "injuns" doesn't make it better.  Azn

Two words: Mark Twain.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
PhilCohen
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2012, 08:44:47 AM »

You folks are all judging the song by 21st century "Politically Correct" standards. Remember:The song was recorded in 1962.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2012, 08:46:24 AM »

The most offensive thing about this song is that it was released by Capitol as the follow-up 45 to Surfin' Safari.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2012, 08:49:10 AM »

You folks are all judging the song by 21st century "Politically Correct" standards. Remember:The song was recorded in 1962.

Like I said earlier, you're correct, this wouldn't have offended the sensibilities of many white people at that time. Just as it clearly doesn't now, despite these so-called "Politically Correct" standards.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2012, 09:26:12 AM »

Agreed. And, a trend in many literature and humanities classes. I find it irresponsible to use a 21st century "lens" in an historic context.  And, it is generally accepted that if you don't agree with the professor, your grade will suffer. 

Critical thinking, I think requires looking at the "context" and social and political circumstances of the respective art or music; not using a 21st century technological standard, retrospectively. 

Had those people lived today, they might think differently. And those folk and fairy tales/chants and music, were largely a part of oral history, not unlike the troubadour models of the Middle Ages.
BB Universe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2012, 09:29:08 AM »

The most offensive thing about this song is that it was released by Capitol as the follow-up 45 to Surfin' Safari.

A most excellent point!!!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx