gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680870 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 09:57:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Smiley Smile given high praise in Steve Tyler interview new Time magazine  (Read 5450 times)
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 02, 2012, 08:12:23 AM »

In the interview with Steve Tyler in the new Time Magazine he lists Smiley Smile as one of 3 albums he considers essential desert island material, the thing he would want most if he were limited to a few albums that were essential for listening to endlessly if alone on a desert island.  Interestingly the other two were albums by the Stones and AC/DC.

( Mr. Moderator, feel free to delete this if it is too narrow a subject.  Just wanted to share this strong  endorsement of SMileySmile in a national magazine)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 10:07:12 AM »

Are we talking Steve tyler from Aerosmith? I'd never have thought he'd be into Smiley in such a big way!

Does he explain how/why? i.e. is it something he was listening to when it was released or something he's got into later on?

I love it when unexpected musicians dig more obscure BB albums. Jim Morrison and Wild Honey was always a cool one too.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 11:00:48 AM »

Can someone provide a link please?
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 11:03:28 AM »

Can someone provide a link please?

"Brian Wilson" on Facebook shared it as a status on July 27th.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 11:16:25 AM »

here's the quote from Brian's FB

"If I was on an island, just for melody, I would take albums by the Stones, AC/DC and the Beach Boys' Smiley Smile." - Steven Tyler
pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 11:20:06 AM »

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2120479,00.html

You need to be a subscriber for the full article, but this preview has the Smiley quote.

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
BB Universe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 11:39:26 AM »

Does that mean Smiley Smile gets his vote in the twofer thread of Smile vs. Smiley Smile??
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 11:46:27 AM »

Tyler is an admirer of the bbs. In the 60s his old band opened for the boys

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 11:50:33 AM »

Tyler has great taste. He is also a huge fan of the Shangri-Las and Yardbirds, and sang backing vocals on the second Left Banke album.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 01:25:55 PM »

Tyler has great taste. He is also a huge fan of the Shangri-Las and Yardbirds, and sang backing vocals on the second Left Banke album.

Which begs the question: how come Aerosmith are so awful?
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 01:30:28 PM »

They were great back in the day.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 01:34:20 PM »

I'm going to invent a time machine and prove you wrong.

"You see! You see! GODAWFUL!"

"Shouldn't you be using this for more important things?"

"Jesus! Listen to them! Look at him prancing around like that, thinking he's so cute... yechhh."
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 02:08:11 PM »

I grew up in the 1990s so the one thing I distinctly remember about Aerosmith is Alicia Silverstone.

From today's perspective it seems pretty weird how incredibly well they did throughout the grunge era.

IIRC Alice Cooper is another big admirer of the Smiley Smile album.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 02:12:37 PM »

They are only awful to pop pussi.es.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 02:13:49 PM »

I grew up in the 1990s so the one thing I distinctly remember about Aerosmith is Alicia Silverstone.

Someone here will tell you they sucked by then and they were brilliant in the 70s. That person, whomever they may be, is a liar.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2012, 02:16:25 PM »

Pandora's Box- Aerosmith's glory days.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2012, 02:45:04 PM »

Someone here will tell you they sucked by then and they were brilliant in the 70s. That person, whomever they may be, is a liar.

I didn't even think of them as a 70s group back then. Haven't heard their 90s hit singles in ages but at the time they all sounded amazingly fresh and the band logo was certainly one of the most fun logos to draw.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2012, 03:11:56 PM »

Pussi.es eh? Or pussies even. Yeah, well this particular pop kitty loves the Beastie Boys, Nirvana and the Pixies as well as the Beach Boys. Aerosmith do suck though.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 03:13:39 PM by Disney Boy (1985) » Logged
ohthosegirls
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2012, 03:21:57 PM »

I remember seeing in some magazine, about maybe 12 years ago, one of those "what are you listening to now" columns with Tyler. He mentioned Wild Honey! That was a big step in getting me to check the entire catalogue (not that I was a big Aerosmith fan.) I just thought it was cool that he was giving THAT album props, which at the time I never heard.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2012, 06:14:14 PM »

Steven Tyler's first band while he was still in high school I believe was called "Chain Reaction".  They basically aped the popular musical groups of the day specifically The Beatles and The Beach Boys.  They recorded a couple of demo tracks one of which ("When I Needed You") was released on an Aerosmith box set put out in the early nineties entitled "Pandora's Box".  "When I Needed You" basically sounds like it could be a Beatles outtake off of "Rubber Soul" while another song entitled "The Sun" sounds like a hybrid between The Byrds and SMiLE era "Beach Boys.

Have a listen to both if you'd like:

When I Needed You:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tXXbQxOJns

The Sun:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLEdNHIviww

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2012, 06:18:17 PM »

It was the end of the line though and that is coming from someone who was once a huge Aerosmith fan.  They were still putting out quality material in the early nineties but fell completely off a cliff by the end of that decade.  Aerosmith were a huge part of my musical lexicon at one stage in my life and I held them in high regard.  While I will never discount their back catalog, where the band went to in the late nineties as far as betraying everything that was once brilliant about their brand still leaves a very sour taste in my mouth.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2012, 08:44:13 PM »

Steven Tyler's first band while he was still in high school I believe was called "Chain Reaction".  They basically aped the popular musical groups of the day specifically The Beatles and The Beach Boys.  They recorded a couple of demo tracks one of which ("When I Needed You") was released on an Aerosmith box set put out in the early nineties entitled "Pandora's Box".  "When I Needed You" basically sounds like it could be a Beatles outtake off of "Rubber Soul" while another song entitled "The Sun" sounds like a hybrid between The Byrds and SMiLE era "Beach Boys.

Have a listen to both if you'd like:

When I Needed You:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tXXbQxOJns

The Sun:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLEdNHIviww

Does the Sun have the same melody as Run to me by The Bee Gees?

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2012, 09:06:30 PM »

Must admit I never listened to Aerosmith, didn't yet get to them. From various interviews & ceremonies Mr. Tyler seems to be very nice human. Though what is the most fascinating is that of all The BBs albums he prefers Smiley Smile. As it is also known from Wiki, Pete Townshend & Robbie Robertson are another famous Smiley Smile fans. Interesting that many musicians like Smiley Smile. I wonder who are other artists-SS fans. Anyway, thanks for the info re Steven Tyler & other little contributions to the thread. Most of it is unfamiliar to me, & other board people too, I suppose.
Check out this perfect song from "Rocks".http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsUUkvjliWU

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2012, 10:44:48 PM »

I used to own an Aerosmith album in the early 90s with the pierced cow on the front. I liked the song Livin on the Edge. I was like 14 or 15. I wouldn't say they suck. But I haven't really gotten that into them since.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Quincy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2012, 05:09:23 AM »

[/quot

Pussi.es eh? Or pussies even. Yeah, well this particular pop kitty loves the Beastie Boys, Nirvana and the Pixies as well as the Beach Boys. Aerosmith do suck though.
Walk This Way..Kitty
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx