gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:06:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Which do you prefer?
The Beach Boys Today! - 77 (74%)
Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!) - 27 (26%)
Total Voters: 94

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Twofer polls #8: Today! vs Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!)  (Read 70603 times)
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 04, 2012, 03:41:12 PM »

They're both great lyrics. Again, I am tired of defending the band on a message board dedicated to them, against people who have no soul. If it was a face-to-face conversation at some Beach Boys fan gathering, I would walk away laughing from anyone who told me they disliked those two tracks and I wouldn't have any interest in anything they would have to say. That's my prerogative, as it is for you to dislike great Beach Boys music and think of yourself as somehow "discerning". Using the example of a child's picture book as a negative when describing Brian Wilson music, for me that just says it all. He is the Adult Child. And focusing on lyrics as a definitive element when discussing the band is missing it entirely as well.

Ah yes, the old "you're not a real fan if you don't like every song the group ever did" argument.  Evey band has those type of "fans."  Ready with the childish insults ("people who have no soul") for anyone who dares to disagree on anything.  You must be a hoot at parties.

Personally, I'm much more interested in fans who attempt to retain a level of objectivitiy, and who actually lisen to the music before deciding that something is "great," rather than simply looking at the name of the band.

Sure, it's your prerogative to laugh at people who disagree with your attempt to impose the "great" label on every single Beach Boys song ever made.  But that means you're laughing at 99.999% of music fans, and you certainly aren't going to win any converts.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #126 on: August 04, 2012, 03:49:59 PM »

Ah yes, the old "articulately defending a great album to people who can't hear the forest for the trees must mean you blindly love all Beach Boys music and have no objectivity in the subject" argument.

Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 04, 2012, 03:58:08 PM »

Ah yes, the old "articulately defending a great album to people who can't hear the forest for the trees must mean you blindly love all Beach Boys music and have no objectivity in the subject" argument.

Um ... he does blindly love all Beach Boys music.  Read his posts.  He's stated repeatedly that evey single Beach Boys song ever made is "great," and that anyone who disagrees is an idiot.  I'm sure he's not the only one who thinks that way on this board.  You too, huh?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 04, 2012, 04:41:15 PM »

Um ... he does blindly love all Beach Boys music.  Read his posts.  He's stated repeatedly that evey single Beach Boys song ever made is "great," and that anyone who disagrees is an idiot.  I'm sure he's not the only one who thinks that way on this board.  You too, huh?
When I first came here a couple years ago, I expected more of the "great" than all of the dissatisfaction of their music that goes on here. At first I noticed it on the latter albums, but really didn't expect it with early stuff. Hell, I can go just about anywhere and get the negative stuff. Plus, growing up having to defend my fandom, this was the last place I expected to have to do it. Just an observation.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 04:43:37 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 05, 2012, 12:23:48 AM »

Amusement Parks is not a great Mike Love lyric. You think its fabulously pictorial, I think the combination of track, lyrics, sound effects and Hal's routine are overdone and leave nothing to the imagination. It's like a child's picture book where the pictures and words both repeat each other, rather than working in harmony to reveal secrets depicted in neither. The characters and scenes hinted at in the songs I mention above, on the other hand, take on a life of their own, fully realised in the listener's imagination.

Salt Lake City is not a great Mike love lyric:

Down in Utah
The guys and I dig a city called Salt Lake
It's got the grooviest kids
That's why we never get tired of Salt Lake
And the way the kids talk so cool
Is an out of sight thing
And the number one radio station
Makes the town really swing yeah
Salt Lake City we'll be coming soon

No explanation needed there. To suggest all Mike Love lyrics are great (which you're not far off here) is an insult to Mike Love and the band. To suggest those who don't appreciate the lyrics to these songs don't 'truly love the band' is, at best, twaddle.

They're both great lyrics. Again, I am tired of defending the band on a message board dedicated to them, against people who have no soul. If it was a face-to-face conversation at some Beach Boys fan gathering, I would walk away laughing from anyone who told me they disliked those two tracks and I wouldn't have any interest in anything they would have to say.

I doubt you fare well at anything face-to-face, let alone a Beach Boys fan gathering. Seriously, is this a put on? I'm going to throw in the towel here because, frankly, it's demeaning defending my point in the face of such persistent, juvenile and demented ignorance. If you're going to post here, at least keep it sane.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 05, 2012, 12:26:53 AM »

Come on, you guys. >: (

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 05, 2012, 12:33:47 AM »

Um ... he does blindly love all Beach Boys music.  Read his posts.  He's stated repeatedly that evey single Beach Boys song ever made is "great," and that anyone who disagrees is an idiot.  I'm sure he's not the only one who thinks that way on this board.  You too, huh?
When I first came here a couple years ago, I expected more of the "great" than all of the dissatisfaction of their music that goes on here. At first I noticed it on the latter albums, but really didn't expect it with early stuff. Hell, I can go just about anywhere and get the negative stuff. Plus, growing up having to defend my fandom, this was the last place I expected to have to do it. Just an observation.

I'm criticizing the lyrics on a handful of songs from SD&SN, an album that I have otherwise stated my huge appreciation for. I don't know what type of fan board you're searching for mate, but this ain't it. You're deranged, the lot of you  Wall

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 05, 2012, 01:01:24 AM »

The fact that Amusement Parks USA has never graced any of the 10001 compilations the band has put out, or can hardly be considered a staple of their live shows, must show that the band don't exactly rate it in their upper echelon of songs.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 05, 2012, 01:14:36 AM »

The fact that Amusement Parks USA has never graced any of the 10001 compilations the band has put out, or can hardly be considered a staple of their live shows, must show that the band don't exactly rate it in their upper echelon of songs.

"Cabin Essence" has never been played live and never appeared on a compilation. What a flaming pile of shit imo.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 05, 2012, 01:39:26 AM »

"Cabin Essence" has never been played live and never appeared on a compilation. What a flaming pile of shit imo.

Well, Cabinessence is on the GV box so not strictly true.

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #135 on: August 05, 2012, 02:29:40 AM »

'At first you'll be a chicken when you check out a ride/But you'll do it with a girl sitting right by your side' - i personally have always adored that line. I think it's a great rhyming couplet.

Oh, and still no answer to my question: Who plays the surly boyfriend? ('Nah, it's too much')
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 05, 2012, 04:37:49 AM »

Um ... he does blindly love all Beach Boys music.  Read his posts.  He's stated repeatedly that evey single Beach Boys song ever made is "great," and that anyone who disagrees is an idiot.  I'm sure he's not the only one who thinks that way on this board.  You too, huh?

I'm criticizing the lyrics on a handful of songs from SD&SN, an album that I have otherwise stated my huge appreciation for. I don't know what type of fan board you're searching for mate, but this ain't it. You're deranged, the lot of you  Wall
It was not directed squarely at you. It was a general observation and comment. I have been here for years now, so I know exactly what it is like here. Was just saying that at first glance it wasn't what I thought it would be.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 05, 2012, 09:39:03 AM »

Well, Cabinessence is on the GV box so not strictly true.

Exactly. Whilst Amusements Parks USA isn't. Also Brian has played Cabinessance live in his solo shows.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 05, 2012, 12:12:37 PM »

I haven't stated that every Beach Boys song is great, even once. Learn to read before you mischaracterise others' opinions. There are tons of their songs I dislike, some of them big fan favorites such as the utterly dreadful All This Is That, Funky Pretty, Then I Kissed Her and At My Window. But I don't pipe up every time those songs are discussed and whinge away about it.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 05, 2012, 12:17:42 PM »

I doubt you fare well at anything face-to-face, let alone a Beach Boys fan gathering. Seriously, is this a put on? I'm going to throw in the towel here because, frankly, it's demeaning defending my point in the face of such persistent, juvenile and demented ignorance. If you're going to post here, at least keep it sane.

Man, I have already demonstrated that I am about a billion times more eloquent in defending my thoughts and stating my side of the argument, than you could ever do for your side of it. Don't tell me merda about posting here, I was here before you were, you're a piece of lame, stupid, square, laughable trash. In my humble opinion.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 12:20:38 PM by I. Spaceman » Logged

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 05, 2012, 12:18:47 PM »

You're deranged, the lot of you  Wall

No, we are Beach Boys fans. You're something else.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 05, 2012, 12:19:28 PM »

'At first you'll be a chicken when you check out a ride/But you'll do it with a girl sitting right by your side' - i personally have always adored that line. I think it's a great rhyming couplet.

Oh, and still no answer to my question: Who plays the surly boyfriend? ('Nah, it's too much')

That is Brian.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 05, 2012, 12:20:02 PM »

Same with All I Wanna Do.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 05, 2012, 01:06:19 PM »

I wonder if All I Wanna Do is possible to pull off live?

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 05, 2012, 01:10:34 PM »

I wonder if All I Wanna Do is possible to pull off live?

Sure it is. The delayed vocals notwithstanding, it would be better without them anyway.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 05, 2012, 01:22:53 PM »

The thing to do for that song would be to perform it as acoustic/natural as possible, and rely on the tune and melody, without trying to emulate the studio production at all.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 05, 2012, 02:17:07 PM »

Man, I have already demonstrated that I am about a billion times more eloquent in defending my thoughts and stating my side of the argument, than you could ever do for your side of it. Don't tell me merda about posting here, I was here before you were, you're a piece of lame, stupid, square, laughable trash. In my humble opinion.

"I'm a billion times better than you ... You're a piece of trash etc. etc." You demonstrate many things in your car-crash posts, but eloquence isn't one of them. At least you didn't suggest I go try a razorblade this time. That was inspired.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 05, 2012, 02:39:48 PM »

"I'm a billion times better than you ... You're a piece of trash etc. etc." You demonstrate many things in your car-crash posts, but eloquence isn't one of them. At least you didn't suggest I go try a razorblade this time. That was inspired.

Man, I am a published writer, and a musician who has toured, been on a major label, etc. I have hung out and talked with Brian Wilson on several occasions, thanks to my old friend Rodney Bingenheimer. Far more people have responded positively to my thoughts on music than you will ever garner, and you know that. You are a nasty, passive-aggressive little creep on a message board. Even if I was a car crash, I'd much rather be that than what you are. Just quit, you'll never get the last word jabbing at me, trust me. I'll vomit on your virtual resting place.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 05, 2012, 03:08:09 PM »

Man, I am a published writer, and a musician who has toured, been on a major label, etc. I have hung out and talked with Brian Wilson on several occasions, thanks to my old friend Rodney Bingenheimer. Far more people have responded positively to my thoughts on music than you will ever garner, and you know that. You are a nasty, passive-aggressive little creep on a message board. Even if I was a car crash, I'd much rather be that than what you are. Just quit, you'll never get the last word jabbing at me, trust me. I'll vomit on your virtual resting place.

You know, I was halfway through writing some withering response and it struck me: I am being kind of nasty, or nastier than I would expect of myself. Even in spite of the vitriol you've been peddling, it's not acceptable and, reading back, it appears I may even have goaded you into it in the first place. That you're pulling all this stuff out that you've done - well, I'm not going to piss on that. I find your posts consistently irritating but maybe that's just me. It's certainly not the decent thing to perpetuate this petty squabble in front of all the good people here. I won't apologise because I think you're a cretin, but I will now bow out. No more last words from me. For real this time. Onto the next poll, if anyone still has the inclination ...
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 03:18:37 PM by buddhahat » Logged

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 05, 2012, 04:40:21 PM »

I think you're a cretin

No, I'm great. You're a nobody, and you determine nothing, you'll pass from this world without accomplishing anything significant, because you waste your time jabbering on a message board about a band you have no real understanding of. Start with the man in the mirror before you criticise anyone else next time. All you've done here is polish my car.
Today, great album, slightly better than Summer Days, also a great album.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx