gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:40:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WIBNTLA Petition  (Read 18169 times)
Disney Boy (1985)
« on: August 01, 2012, 01:00:10 PM »

Do Facebook petitions have any effect? Probably not. But if you're on Facebook, why not 'like' the following new page anyway. After all, it's for a good cause!

FACEBOOK:
Petition to get 'Wouldn't It be Nice To Live Again' heard in 2012

(See 'Beach Boys Britain' for a direct link)
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 01:16:52 PM »

Just signed.  Smiley
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 01:17:59 PM »

Thanks. It might do nothing, but hey who knows? So let's all sign up... It's easy.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 01:33:10 PM »

I liked the FB page. Does that count as my signature?

Oh, and by the way: how about correct orthography? Might just increase the petition's credibility?

The song that should of been on Surfs Up
Roll Eyes
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 01:45:09 PM »

Oh, and by the way: how about correct orthography? Might just increase the petition's credibility?

Roll Eyes

Hey tell that to whoever set up the page to begin with! I just like it and am spreading the word...
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 01:48:42 PM »

Roll Eyes

Hey tell that to whoever set up the page to begin with! I just like it and am spreading the word...
Alright, I'll forward that complaint. Sorry.  Wink
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 01:57:18 PM »

I'm not on Facebook, but I'd sure like to see WIBNTLA released!

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 04:28:01 PM »

I don't mean at all to hijack the thread but I wanted to mention that we are almost sold out of LONG PROMISED ROAD, which is where the only version of this song officially released exists...we're having a sell-out party and "50 Sides of the Beach Boys" show this Friday here in Los Angeles which I have posted about elsewhere on SS.  If someone wants to grab a copy of the album before they are gone, they should e-mail me immediately.  I just five minutes ago took inventory in advance of the show and, minus the copies already sold, we have 13 left, and some of those will probably go on Friday.

So, where's the petition again?  Sign me up!  FWIW, I know that there's a lot of desire within some of the BBs camp to get this song out.  It really is one of the more wonderful unreleased Dennis songs we have yet to hear....

(adam marsland)
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 05:12:53 PM »

I signed...er, liked this a while ago  Grin

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 06:50:04 PM »

I personally would much rather have the version of "California Feeling" with Brian Wilson still in his prime on vocals.  But horses for courses.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 08:17:25 PM »

I personally would much rather have the version of "California Feeling" with Brian Wilson still in his prime on vocals.  But horses for courses.

Me too. Hearing that is on my bucket list.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 12:37:43 AM »

I'm in.  Bring it on D-Rock!

Quote from: So cold I go burr
There are people who have taken LSD thousands of times and are as sane as Jeff Foskett. Well, that's a bad example, because Jeff hates Love You and that's INSANE.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 12:53:48 AM »

I want to see it released just so I can see how many of the people who've been clamouring for it to be released hate it once they actually hear it Wink

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
gsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 12:59:34 AM »

Isn't it missing the guitar solo?  Instant strike against.

Quote from: So cold I go burr
There are people who have taken LSD thousands of times and are as sane as Jeff Foskett. Well, that's a bad example, because Jeff hates Love You and that's INSANE.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 01:09:51 AM »

Isn't it missing the guitar solo?  Instant strike against.

'tis...all three notes of it, repeated for 16 bars.  Mea culpa.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2012, 02:48:34 AM »

I want to see it released just so I can see how many of the people who've been clamouring for it to be released hate it once they actually hear it Wink

Ha ha! Surely it can't live up to all the hype?

Here's the link to the FB page if it hasn't already been posted:
https://www.facebook.com/WouldntItbeNiceToLiveAgain

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2012, 07:59:47 AM »

Personally, I think the chances of both "(Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again" and the 1974 "California Feelin'" being on the box set are really good. Brother and Capitol know what we want, and I'm sure they will give it to us.

And I don't wanna get anybody too excited, but weren't the tracklist and details of the SMiLE release released last August? So I would assume that if the box is coming out this year, that we will probably hear something within the next month. So I'm cautiously optimistic we'll get to hear those two songs this year. Honestly, I think "(Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again" has the better chance to be released seeing as it was very close to being on Surf's Up originally, and then also was penciled in for release on the DVD-A of said album. "California Feelin'", I'm a little less sure of, by virtue of it being a demo. Then again, it's achieved quite a legendary status, and I'm sure BRI and Capitol understand that if they want us to spend big bucks on a new box set, that they'll have to come up with the goods.

And besides those songs, I'm also super excited for stuff that we don't even know of. I figure there has to be at least a few big surprises, like "Surf's Up 1967" was, or even the extra vocals on "Child Is Father Of The Man". There was also the surprising inclusion of two versions of "Da Da", which at least I had no idea existed, not to mention the Smiley Smile-era "Cool, Cool Water". And that was just for SMiLE-related stuff. So I have to imagine there are things that we have no knowledge of that might be included in the box, that will make us very happy.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2012, 08:32:36 AM »

I'd say the chances of WIBNTLA are high. '74 "California Feelin'", based on recent descriptions, I'm not sure on. C'mon, o sweet one - you and I both know fan demand doesn't necessarily dictate what fans get from another band we've talked about. It feels like it needs too much explanation and apology to see official release. "It's just a demo. Well, it's just Brian playing the song into an open mic. Yeah, Brian's kind of dicking around with the vocal. There are better versions out there. Why didn't we release those? Well, erm..." etc. etc. etc.

Also, missing guitar solo? I can't see something like that ensuring it doesn't see release given how incomplete a lot of Smile tracks were, "Shunshine" seeing release, etc. And the guitar solo being a repeating, three note solo? Sounds like it'd be simple enough to get the right person (maybe David?) in there with the right gear to make it happen. If they can write new lyrics to "Holy Man" and get someone as unlikely as Taylor Hawkins in there and get such good results, surely they could recreate a very simple guitar solo.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2012, 08:39:19 AM »

I'm not a Facebook member, but I think the petition's a very nice idea.

My only suggestion would be to specify in the wording of the petition that it's the untainted, original 1971 version that is desired by fans. Otherwise, someone upstairs might get some nutty ass idea to rip it apart, put modern overdubs over it, etc, and release it as a "new" BB's track. My feeling is...save that idea for the demos or mostly unfinished tracks. In a word, this one's done (though, if someone absolutely demanded on putting a vintage-sounding guitar solo over the break, I suppose I could live with that -- with only slight protest).  Smiley
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2012, 09:27:23 AM »

The true significance of WIBNTLA is not that its Dennis' best song, because it isn't. Its that its his best vocal. He simply sings the sh*t out of that song.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2012, 09:36:33 AM »

The true significance of WIBNTLA is not that its Dennis' best song, because it isn't. Its that its his best vocal. He simply sings the sh*t out of that song.

Jon, any anecdotal evidence about the circumstances surrounding that vocal?  Because I agree, it's a very good song, and a classic Desper-y production, but the vocal is the highlight.  Not only is it a good vocal in terms of delivery, but Dennis seems to have been very careful about it.  The doubles are really right on, he doesn't try to push the high notes, he backs off to a Carl-like  delivery at times.

It seems like he had been working on vocal technique or something, plus the very careful recording of his voice.  It seems like a perfect storm, and I'm wondering what circumstances were in place that it could turn out so well on so many fronts.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2012, 10:09:32 AM »

Jon, any anecdotal evidence about the circumstances surrounding that vocal?  Because I agree, it's a very good song, and a classic Desper-y production, but the vocal is the highlight.  Not only is it a good vocal in terms of delivery, but Dennis seems to have been very careful about it.  The doubles are really right on, he doesn't try to push the high notes, he backs off to a Carl-like  delivery at times.

It seems like he had been working on vocal technique or something, plus the very careful recording of his voice.  It seems like a perfect storm, and I'm wondering what circumstances were in place that it could turn out so well on so many fronts.
I have not heard any anecdotal info about this session, but I think your assessment of it being a perfect storm is right. I think he's reached a maturity or a confidence level that happened to coincide with his voice being at its peak physical state. His range and power were challenged a bit by this song, and as you say he manages to pull it off not by forcing it, but rather pulling it back in a softer Carl-like approach in places. He also sustains notes with more clarity than usual. Just wish there were more DW vocals of this quality.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2012, 10:32:10 AM »

Why didn't WIBNTLA appear on the Surf's Up album in 1971?
JCarson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2012, 10:45:24 AM »

I don't mean at all to hijack the thread but I wanted to mention that we are almost sold out of LONG PROMISED ROAD, which is where the only version of this song officially released exists...we're having a sell-out party and "50 Sides of the Beach Boys" show this Friday here in Los Angeles which I have posted about elsewhere on SS.  If someone wants to grab a copy of the album before they are gone, they should e-mail me immediately.  I just five minutes ago took inventory in advance of the show and, minus the copies already sold, we have 13 left, and some of those will probably go on Friday.

So, where's the petition again?  Sign me up!  FWIW, I know that there's a lot of desire within some of the BBs camp to get this song out.  It really is one of the more wonderful unreleased Dennis songs we have yet to hear....

(adam marsland)

Sorry if I'm carrying on the hijack but here goes. I don't post here much but have followed the board since before BWPS. Anyways, just wanted to post my love for WIBNTLA in the only form I know it - on Long Promised Road. However, the song I really love on the CD is The Big Bear. It just rocks! Kinda fits the Beach Boys mid-70s nature mysticism though I know its a Marsland original from much later. Not entirely sure what the song's about but that's okay. It's really poetic. So thank you Mr Marsland and your collaborators. Long may you make music!

(Simon Young, UK)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2012, 11:07:58 AM »

I'd say the chances of WIBNTLA are high. '74 "California Feelin'", based on recent descriptions, I'm not sure on. C'mon, o sweet one - you and I both know fan demand doesn't necessarily dictate what fans get from another band we've talked about. It feels like it needs too much explanation and apology to see official release. "It's just a demo. Well, it's just Brian playing the song into an open mic. Yeah, Brian's kind of dicking around with the vocal. There are better versions out there. Why didn't we release those? Well, erm..." etc. etc. etc.

Also, missing guitar solo? I can't see something like that ensuring it doesn't see release given how incomplete a lot of Smile tracks were, "Shunshine" seeing release, etc. And the guitar solo being a repeating, three note solo? Sounds like it'd be simple enough to get the right person (maybe David?) in there with the right gear to make it happen. If they can write new lyrics to "Holy Man" and get someone as unlikely as Taylor Hawkins in there and get such good results, surely they could recreate a very simple guitar solo.

I agree that a certain other band that we like has a knack for doing things that leave the fans cold, but personally I think that it's because that band's leader enjoys dangling those unreachable carrots out in front of the fan's faces. I also think that Mr. Cuomo is also "saving" certain material because he knows he's lost a bit of his fan base, and if everything was out there, there'd be nothing more to wish for, and people like myself would lose interest in his group. And lastly, I just think he likes being a jerk, especially to those who care the most about his work (his own band included).

The Beach Boys, and Brian in particular, at this point, I think are more open to okay things if they are told that's what the fans want. I could see Melinda and a rep from Brother saying, "hey Brian, is it ok if we put this version of 'California Feelin'' on the box set?" And he'd say, "Yeah, sure, ya wanna go get something to eat?"

Why didn't WIBNTLA appear on the Surf's Up album in 1971?

I'm not an expert on this stuff, but apparently Carl and Dennis got into an argument over the order of the songs that would be on the album, and as a result, Dennis pulled his songs off. I think basically Dennis wanted "(Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again" to be the final track, coming after "'Til I Die". However, Carl was in favor of "Surf's Up", and I can't say I disagree with him. So basically as I see it, Dennis kinda cut off his nose to spite his face.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 01:39:40 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx