gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:02:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Dennis Introduces Carl"  (Read 3482 times)
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« on: May 04, 2006, 12:47:09 PM »

From the Hawthorne second disc; Does anyone know if this is Dennis playing the piano while screaming about Carl? It sounds similar to Bruce on the "Give us some Top 40 sound Bruce.." thing for Caroline No.

When did Dennis learn to play Piano? Obviously he learnt a lot from Brian's playing, but this must have been from either first hand tutoring from Brian or intense study of the recorded music. On first listen, it's not always noticable all the pedal notes that Brian uses, (and which Dennis used a lot in his songs). Also, does the '"Forever" piano scene in that American Family film have a true story to it?

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Jason
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 12:54:02 PM »

Dennis taught himself as a youngster.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 12:56:37 PM »

How young? If Dennis was only accepted into the group as a drummer, it seems like before that he had had no musical "talent" at all.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 01:40:29 PM »

I thought the story was that Bruce Johnston taught him during the Japan tour while Pet Sounds was being recorded.  There's a picture of the two of them at the piano on the back of the LP.

I'd post a scan but sadly my vinyl copy has gone missing!  Cry  It's a great shot, though.

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 01:48:27 PM »

Bruce has said in the past that he taught Dennis how to play the piano in '66. However, Greg Jakobson told me that Brian taught Dennis. However, Dave Marks told me that Audree taught all of them, including Dennis, how to play boogie woogie in the late '50's...and that Dennis could play Gershwin's Rhapsody In Blue real early on...and often played "romantic" piano for girls after shows in '62. Take your pick.
MBE
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2006, 05:09:09 AM »

I think Marks is right.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2006, 10:06:35 AM »

Isn't it probable that there's a little bit of truth in all of those?  Audree taught him some little songs and boogie woogie early on, Brian continued to show him some stuff, and Bruce gave him some input after he joined, all the while Dennis was working on it himself?  I mean, even Horowitz probably studied with more than one teacher.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2006, 10:13:32 AM »

No.

Watch out for snakes!
andy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2006, 11:00:58 AM »

LOL
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2006, 12:07:53 PM »

I laugh every time I hear Brian say, "My Mom was an organist and my Dad was a pianist". He mumbles the word pianist some, making it sound like penis. I chuckle like a 5 year old every time.

Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2006, 01:01:29 AM »

Yeah, his mom liked to play Mr. Wilson's organ.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
MBE
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2006, 01:15:24 AM »

Isn't it probable that there's a little bit of truth in all of those?  Audree taught him some little songs and boogie woogie early on, Brian continued to show him some stuff, and Bruce gave him some input after he joined, all the while Dennis was working on it himself?  I mean, even Horowitz probably studied with more than one teacher.

You know what you are probably right.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2006, 08:52:21 AM »

Yeah, his mom liked to play Mr. Wilson's organ.

From what i've been told Murry played his own organ more often...while Audree tickled her ivories.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2006, 10:05:02 AM »

Didn't Murry have a japanese secretary lady playing with his organ?

Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2006, 07:48:26 PM »

Yeah, but Mrs. Wilson didn't mind pitching in every now and then.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx