gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680810 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 12:40:38 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who will play Dennis in The Drummer?  (Read 5124 times)
joshuaerrett
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: July 29, 2012, 01:00:36 PM »

So they are finally making a movie of Dennis's life, as I'm sure everyone on this thread already is well aware.

I personally am worried...I've been encouraged by what I've read so far. Vera Farmiga as Christine McVie sounds good. And the fact it's based on Steven Gaines informative, warts-and-all book Heroes And Villains is also a step in the right direction.

But what about this: who will play Dennis? It's the make-or-break question for me.

Here's a petition to the producers of the film asking for Canadian actor Scott Speedman. I think he looks identical and would play the role perfectly. But perhaps it's a Canadian bias – like the actor, I'm also from Toronto.

https://campaign.to/ScottSpeedmanForDennisWilsonBiopic/petition/11/
Waspinators
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep it Clean with Al Jardine

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 01:09:15 PM »

Wow, he does look strikingly similar. If his voice sounds even somewhat close to Dennis's, he'd be a great choice.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 01:11:54 PM »

I thought it was going to Harvey Dent?
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 01:14:31 PM »

First things first: why open another thread for a question which concerns a topic that has been dealt with in other threads? CLICK. (...)

Aaron Eckhart has been attached to it for quite a while but recently left the project for reasons unknown. Which is a shame - Eckhart would have nailed it, I think.

Various other casting announcements have been made a while ago.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 01:15:33 PM »

And the fact it's based on Steven Gaines informative, warts-and-all book Heroes And Villains is also a step in the right direction.

It really, really isn't. Even were the Gaines book not extremely inaccurate in all sorts of ways, just remember the last time someone tried to film it, we got Summer Dreams...

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 01:43:51 PM »

And the fact it's based on Steven Gaines informative, warts-and-all book Heroes And Villains is also a step in the right direction.

It really, really isn't. Even were the Gaines book not extremely inaccurate in all sorts of ways, just remember the last time someone tried to film it, we got Summer Dreams...

In describing Dennis' last months it is pretty accurate, though.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
SIP.FLAC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 06:15:03 PM »

I imagine quite a bit of cash left the project when Eckhart dropped. This is the sort of project that probably won't get made unless another 'big' name is brought into the fold.

Youre not allowed to have a picture in your signature so imagine this : Tony Montana shooting a machine gun (his little friend), but the face is actually Mike Love haha.
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 11:58:17 PM »

That's funny, my son is also named Bort!  Grin

In all seriousness, though, this blows. I had assumed that they were near completion on The Drummer, and now we're back to the drawing board?

I have no idea how good the script is. I'm just dying to hear all that unreleased DW music they were supposed to include on the soundtrack.

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
MBE
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 12:13:49 AM »

That's funny, my son is also named Bort!  Grin

In all seriousness, though, this blows. I had assumed that they were near completion on The Drummer, and now we're back to the drawing board?

I have no idea how good the script is. I'm just dying to hear all that unreleased DW music they were supposed to include on the soundtrack.
It won't be pretty, but I hope it's good. Gaines' book has many problems but it's still has solid (if unsavory) info on Dennis' later years
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 12:22:49 AM »

It won't be pretty, but I hope it's good. Gaines' book has many problems but it's still has solid (if unsavory) info on Dennis' later years

I'm a big supporter of the Gaines book. It has it's share of factual errors in regards to the chronology of the group's music, but it's only book in which you'll get something approximating the true story of The Beach Boys, warts 'n' all.

I wish he'd release an updated version honestly.

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 12:44:52 AM »

First things first: why open another thread for a question which concerns a topic that has been dealt with in other threads?

Err ...  because Eckhart's left so the role is open again? Or the fact that Speedman is the absolute spit of Dennis Wilson? Both viable reason's to start a new topic as far as I can tell.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
MBE
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 12:50:11 AM »

I'm a big supporter of the Gaines book. It has it's share of factual errors in regards to the chronology of the group's music, but it's only book in which you'll get something approximating the true story of The Beach Boys, warts 'n' all.

I wish he'd release an updated version honestly.
I've thought a new version would be cool too but there is one problem. Very few people were happy with what he did with their info or how he spun it.  I doubt he would get much from anyone on the post Dennis years. That said a rewrite with corrections on the music would be very welcome.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 01:12:24 AM »

Am I the only one who doesn't want to see this film come to fruition? I feel like I would get really annoyed by the inevitable inaccuracies and its impact on general society's understanding of Dennis.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 02:01:00 AM »

I can live without it. It is just a story that is soooo asking to be cheapened in the telling IMO.
MBE
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 02:44:11 AM »

Would I rather it focus on his life through early 1968? Of course. No Manson, no hard drugs, drinking not ruining his life yet etc. It could be how he inspired the early Beach Boys, moved into how fame changed his life, and then showed the blossoming of his songwriting talent. Sadly dirt sells but I think Dennis' early story is a lot more inspiring.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2012, 03:55:34 AM »

First things first: why open another thread for a question which concerns a topic that has been dealt with in other threads?

Err ...  because Eckhart's left so the role is open again? Or the fact that Speedman is the absolute spit of Dennis Wilson? Both viable reason's to start a new topic as far as I can tell.
Well no, because the topic is still The Drummer (for which we have already have a thread).  Wink Ah well...
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2012, 04:18:23 AM »

Well no, because the topic is still The Drummer (for which we have already have a thread).  Wink Ah well...

Fair enough, but as the OP has a low post count, maybe he missed that thread.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2012, 05:42:12 AM »

scott speedman is not near the caliber of actor Eckhart was, or the rest of the cast for that matter.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2012, 08:52:47 AM »

So they are finally making a movie of Dennis's life, as I'm sure everyone on this thread already is well aware.

I personally am worried...I've been encouraged by what I've read so far. Vera Farmiga as Christine McVie sounds good. And the fact it's based on Steven Gaines informative, warts-and-all book Heroes And Villains is also a step in the right direction.

Where have you read that this film is based on the Gaines book?
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2012, 10:24:58 AM »

Am I the only one who doesn't want to see this film come to fruition? I feel like I would get really annoyed by the inevitable inaccuracies and its impact on general society's understanding of Dennis.

No, you're not. I'm afraid having big name movie people attached to it will only get the hype up for us all to be disappointed by the actual film in the end. I was kind of glad to see Eckhart drop out, not that I don't think he could play a good Dennis, but with the reports that they aren't consulting with some of the major players in Dennis' life and the preservation of his legacy gives me cause for concern. I know that any exposure to Dennis and his story will help spread his music, which is great, but I just don't have good feelings about this project.
SIP.FLAC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2012, 06:27:35 PM »

If the movie is good I'll take the quality as tribute to Dennis.

Youre not allowed to have a picture in your signature so imagine this : Tony Montana shooting a machine gun (his little friend), but the face is actually Mike Love haha.
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2012, 01:04:30 AM »

The prospect of unreleased DW music (as the producers claimed would make up part of the soundtrack) isn't enough to garner your support?

SUICIDE
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2012, 01:14:27 AM »

I would've sworn it was going to be based on some obscure, little-heard-of, book on Denny written by some guy who I think also worked on some sort of documentary about Dennis (oh, what was it called?), and also wrote a book about some guitar player named Dave Marks, or so I heard...and may have posted here on this board once or twice a few years back...not sure of what his name was, though.   LOL LOL LOL LOL

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2012, 08:59:40 AM »

The prospect of unreleased DW music (as the producers claimed would make up part of the soundtrack) isn't enough to garner your support?

That would be excellent, but the thought of actors re-recording some of Dennis and Christine's demos that was also reported...not so much.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2012, 09:47:07 AM »

I would've sworn it was going to be based on some obscure, little-heard-of, book on Denny written by some guy who I think also worked on some sort of documentary about Dennis (oh, what was it called?), and also wrote a book about some guitar player named Dave Marks, or so I heard...and may have posted here on this board once or twice a few years back...not sure of what his name was, though.   LOL LOL LOL LOL
If that were the case I'd be the last to know. Shrug
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx