gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:24:21 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dennis and the ultimatum?  (Read 21034 times)
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 01, 2012, 03:03:14 PM »

Is Brian, Al, Bruce, Mike, David, and 49 other guys on stage the Beach Boys?
[/quote]

Yeah, I'd say it is.  They've been augmented on stage for decades...but the key is that ALL of the surviving members are front and center.  Besides, you need quite a few other guys to create the sounds live that Brian crafted in the studio all those years ago.  Wouldn't it be like if Mick Jagger and Ronnie Wood hit the road as The Rolling Stones while Keith and Charlie were not involved?

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 01, 2012, 05:03:46 PM »

We are yet to see how the future M&B tour develops.

See, I've heard for years "no Dennis, no Beach Boys". And then "no Carl, no Beach Boys". And still, here we are celebrating.

No one's trying to fool anybody with the M&B outfit. Even ML makes it clear in current interviews how each of them toured with their own outfit, etc. Brian made money out of it and is ok, and so is Al --who also profits from it, I think.

Let us see how things develop in the following months. We still have plenty to celebrate... and to moan about (like WIBNTLA not being released because Al said so to a fan, bad edition in concert clips we're not supposed to hear, or Angel Come Home not being performed in some fan's town).

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 01, 2012, 05:44:26 PM »

I hope this question doesn't get lost in the discussion but it seems pointless to create a new thread for what might a question with a really simple answer.

Does anyone know (and could tell me) the last studio recorded Beach Boys song that Dennis played the actual drums on?  I'm gussing it had been a while, even before KTSA but I'm really curious either way.  And again, I'm talking about the drum track, not piano, percussion or anything like that.

Thanks!
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 01, 2012, 07:55:18 PM »

According to AGD's site, there's a version of "Johnny B. Goode" from October '79, early in the KTSA sessions, with Dennis on drums.

Before that?  Aside from the Bambu tracks, looks like nothing since POB (or the September '77 bustup)...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 07:56:34 PM by Jonathan Blum » Logged
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 01, 2012, 10:43:20 PM »

Wow.  Going back even further then: Does anyone know the last released track by the Beach Boys to feature Dennis on drums?
gsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 02, 2012, 01:01:08 AM »

Wow.  Going back even further then: Does anyone know the last released track by the Beach Boys to feature Dennis on drums?

BUMP.  I would also like to know this.

Quote from: So cold I go burr
There are people who have taken LSD thousands of times and are as sane as Jeff Foskett. Well, that's a bad example, because Jeff hates Love You and that's INSANE.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 02, 2012, 01:27:01 AM »

BUMP.  I would also like to know this.

The answer may lie here - http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,5272.msg84883.html#msg84883

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 02, 2012, 01:35:27 AM »

Probably "Love Surround Me".  If he's got drum tracks on MIU, they'd have to be the leftovers from the "15 Big Ones" era -- e.g, he may have played on the original "Come Go With Me", but I don't think we know how much of that they re-recorded...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
MBE
« Reply #108 on: August 02, 2012, 03:50:08 AM »

I think I mentioned this recently but he does play drums on She's Got Rhythm which Alan Boyd said can be seen in the outtake footage from the MIU special. So yes he was there briefly and he did contribute.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 02, 2012, 08:08:02 AM »

I think I mentioned this recently but he does play drums on She's Got Rhythm which Alan Boyd said can be seen in the outtake footage from the MIU special. So yes he was there briefly and he did contribute.

I think it was previously said to be an early take of "She's Got Rhythm" and not the final, thus I'm not sure about that.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
MBE
« Reply #110 on: August 04, 2012, 10:02:21 PM »

I think it was previously said to be an early take of "She's Got Rhythm" and not the final, thus I'm not sure about that.
Could be but I had the impression he was used by what Alan said to me back when we talked about.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx