gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 05:09:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SDSN Gold Record signed by BW on eBay?  (Read 1212 times)
GeorgeFellInHisHorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2012, 02:22:54 PM »

Just came across this, sorry if its been mentioned before.

It looks pretty legitimate, is it the real deal?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1965-BEACH-BOYS-GOLD-RECORD-HAND-SIGNED-BRIAN-WILSON-RIAA-COA-/251104408223?_trksid=p5197.m1998&_trkparms=aid%3D555001%26algo%3DPW.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D18%26meid%3D934283927037059223%26pid%3D100017%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D4%26#ht_2561wt_1398

This very plaque is from the lobby walls of the world famous Capitol Records Tower in Hollywood, CA where it had been on display since it's original 1965 'Gold Record' status until 1976 when Capitol began changing the award presentations to include cassettes. At this point, the older awards were replaced with the new style that included cassettes in the frame under glass (unlike the early awards that had no glass). The old plaques were then offered up to senior Capitol Records employees and were distributed among those that wanted them.
John Carter was a Senior Vice President of A&R Capitol Records during this period and ended up choosing a few gold records for himself including this one.
In 1977, Scott Mathews went to Abbey Road Studios with Mr. Carter to work on a record called 'Red' by Sammy Hagar (Carter was Hagar's A&R man and producer). During the
weeks they spent together in London, they developed a tight friendship and upon returning to the States, Carter gifted Mathews (a HUGE Beach Boys fan) with the gold record offered here as a bonus for helping with the Hagar recordings.
Within two years, Mathews had signed and released his own album for Capitol Records as an artist, songwriter and producer under a band name 'Durocs' (along with Ron Nagle).
Carl Wilson became a big fan and supporter of Mathews and played the Beach Boys inspired 'Durocs' record for Brian Wilson who was becoming very involved in Beach Boys sessions after a long sabbatical. Brian was so impressed with what he heard, he asked Bruce Johnston to call Mathews which led to Mathews playing and singing on the next Beach Boys record. Carl Wilson and Mathews continued writing and recording together and Mathews would perform with The Beach Boys whenever they appeared in the Bay Area where he lived.
Brian Wilson signed the gold record offered here in San Francisco when Wilson was on a book tour for 'Wouldn't It Be Nice: My Own Story' in 1991.
Mathews has stayed in close touch with Brian Wilson, sang (with Al Jardine) on Wilson's final Pet Sounds performance in Oakland, CA and has been presented many gold records (Pet Sounds, Smile, Good Vibrations Box Set, etc.) for facilitating in various roles to Wilson, Jardine and The Beach Boys.

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 09:56:55 PM »

If it is, it may be one of the records that Brian tried to give Hal and the gang when his daughter was born! HAHA!

Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 11:44:10 PM »

Not an expert here, but I have seen many 1950s and 60s era trophies on the shelves of various thrift stores over the years.  The dull, cruddy looking engraving job on the brass plate just screams that this is an original from the 60s.  I think it's real.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 11:28:46 AM »

The only question I have is why would he be selling something like this?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 12:14:28 PM »

The only question I have is why would he be selling something like this?

Well, for $10,000, I can see why you would be willing to part with a material object, even if it is as incredible as a Brain Wilson signed gold record.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx