gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:34:01 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Genesis Appreciation Thread  (Read 3462 times)
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« on: July 27, 2012, 12:18:31 AM »

I'd like to start the thread by saying Genesis are one of the few bands that truly hooked me the moment I heard them for the first time. I heard "The Musical Box" when I was twelve and it just completely blew my mind. From that moment on I spent any money I got on buying any Genesis CD I got a hold of. It all had a profound impact on my early teenage years, and I'm curious how other Smiley Smilers feel about one of my favorite bands.

A discipline daddy.
meltedwhiskeyinmyhand
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 07:00:43 AM »

I've never been a huge fan but I can say that In Your Wardrobe is one of the best songs ever, love it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1tFQMjc-IE
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 09:12:29 PM »

The first time I heard Genesis I was kicking my own ass for saying Pink Floyd was the best progressive rock band ...I spoke way too soon and took back that statement instantly Razz ..
It's hard for me to choose which era I prefer..Gabriel (1969-1974) or Collins (1976-1991)..I love both and they both bring something new and completely different...
Every album brings a new vibe/feel and I praise a group that does that successfully (although not many do)..it brings you inside a new world...the music is all part of the dream/experience that takes you away for about an hour(or how ever long the album is) It was also "I Know What I Like" that got me into listening to them..I'm not sure if i stumbled across it myself or someone showed me it but either way I'm glad it opened the doors into their music..
From that day on I had to get everything they did ..They are definitely in my top 10..The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is a masterpiece and though the story isn't as compelling as Quadrophenia/The Wall (for example) it still makes an awesome rock opera and the music that goes with the story is the best part of it instead of it being the other way around (for me it usually ends up being that way)

These are two of my favorites from both eras..

Gabriel Era:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb3uPgkCIQA

Collins Era:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqgKiFxeQtg
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 09:16:10 PM by Newguy562 » Logged
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 10:56:42 PM »

The first time I heard Genesis I was kicking my own ass for saying Pink Floyd was the best progressive rock band ...I spoke way too soon and took back that statement instantly Razz ..
It's hard for me to choose which era I prefer..Gabriel (1969-1974) or Collins (1976-1991)..I love both and they both bring something new and completely different...
Every album brings a new vibe/feel and I praise a group that does that successfully (although not many do)..it brings you inside a new world...the music is all part of the dream/experience that takes you away for about an hour(or how ever long the album is) It was also "I Know What I Like" that got me into listening to them..I'm not sure if i stumbled across it myself or someone showed me it but either way I'm glad it opened the doors into their music..
From that day on I had to get everything they did ..They are definitely in my top 10..The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is a masterpiece and though the story isn't as compelling as Quadrophenia/The Wall (for example) it still makes an awesome rock opera and the music that goes with the story is the best part of it instead of it being the other way around (for me it usually ends up being that way)

Gabriel Era:

Collins Era:
Happy The Man kicks ass. Nice choices.

A discipline daddy.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 11:02:48 PM »

Gabriel Era:

Collins Era:
Happy The Man kicks ass. Nice choices.
thanks Smiley to me that song always had a soft/sweet beach boys harmony ..I know Collins listens to the Beach Boys but I'm not sure is Peter does..but either way extremely beautiful and catchy :D
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 12:13:51 PM »

The "Trick Of The Tail" "W&W" and "Seconds Out" era takes some beating my book. Lost their way a little bit with "Duke" and "Abacab" but found their way again towards the end. Even quite like "Calling All Stations" ...

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 09:05:27 AM »

I've been rediscovering Genesis of late. Like Pink Floyd, they were one of the "cool" bands I got into when I was in high school. Naturally, I drifted away from a lot of those as time went on, but lately most of my listening has been Genesis. I was never one of the Phil Collins haters; they probably never would have found a better replacement for Peter Gabriel vocally than him.

Foxtrot and Abacab are my two favorite records of theirs.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
KDS
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 10:46:43 AM »

Genesis is a band whose catalog I really want to explore. 

It took me a while to really fully embrace them.  With a Best Buy gift certificate, I got the three disc Platinum Collection in 2007. 

I was already pretty familiar with the 80s hits era, but it look me a while to get into the Gabriel era stuff. 

One of these days, I'll explore all of their 1970s albums in full. 

So much music, so little time. 
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 10:50:21 AM »

Start with Foxtrot, Selling England by the Pound, and Abacab. Probably their best albums.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
KDS
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 10:52:19 AM »

Start with Foxtrot, Selling England by the Pound, and Abacab. Probably their best albums.

Thanks.  Foxtrot is definitely tops on the albums I want to check out.  As is The Lamb. 
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 10:55:19 AM »

THE LAMB LIES DOWN ON BROADWAY ALL THE WAY!!!!! Part of the reason Gabriel left was he knew they'd never be able to top it.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2015, 11:05:34 AM »

The Gabriel era is just amazing. Possibly my favorite prog rock band.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2015, 12:52:56 PM »

Selling England by the Pound is the one for me.

That said, I had the great fortune to see Genesis in 1972 at that year's Melody Maker Poll Awards Concert. At one point Gabriel vanished only to reappear shortly after wearing a dress and a fox's head. This, apparently (I only remember "Hogweed"), was their set list: 

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/genesis/1972/kennington-oval-london-england-7bd4f6d4.html

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx