gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681302 Posts in 27633 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 03, 2024, 12:34:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Has Anyone Heard This Song Before By The beatles?  (Read 3417 times)
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2012, 05:30:35 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z_GMu3wryc
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 05:32:41 PM by Newguy562 » Logged
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 05:37:08 PM »

Yes

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 05:41:36 PM »

Of course! I've heard it many times. Recorded at Decca Records in London on 1 January 1962 by Lennon, McCartney, Harrison and Best. One of 15 songs recorded in 1 hour. Brian Epstein picked all of the cover songs, including this one for them to record.

Decca blew it!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 05:45:05 PM »

I thought this was a song Paul wrote and later sold to Cilla Black?
Well it's beautiful Smiley you can tell that this was an Elvis influenced song...This songs totally sounds like Paul singing an Elvis ballad lol
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 05:47:36 PM by Newguy562 » Logged
MyGlove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 08:08:38 PM »

pretty much everything by them sounds like it could be an elvis and/or everly brothers song. (in a good way)
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 09:31:59 PM »

Of course! I've heard it many times. Recorded at Decca Records in London on 1 January 1962 by Lennon, McCartney, Harrison and Best. One of 15 songs recorded in 1 hour. Brian Epstein picked all of the cover songs, including this one for them to record.

Decca blew it!

I used to think the same way as you but after years of living with the Decca Audition, I've come to the conclusion that while The Beatles audition was certainly passable there was nothing so mind blowing about it that would make me think that this band was about to take the world by storm.  The general consensus of the audition is that John undersings his leads while Paul oversings his with George Harrison actually making a strong accounting for himself on most of his numbers.  There are some gems in there however, "Love Of The Loved" as you noted as well as most of the songs in George Harrison's set.  One thing I always found interesting is that Pete Best didn't get one solitary song to sing during the audition although he did apparently do vocal numbers (including "Boys") onstage with the band.

Contrasty and for what it's worth I've always found the Nick Venet tape with "409", "Hearts Were Full Of Spring" etc. was a particularly strong outing by The Beach Boys.  In fact I've often wondered that if a given reviewer took both of those tapes back to back and had to select one group to sign just by the evidence on those tapes, I'd wonder who he'd choose?  I'd personally sign The Beach Boys but it probably would make for a good debate.

PS: There is also an acoustic demo of "Love Of The Loved" in existence that I believe post-dates the Decca Auditions.  EMI owns it though and while it was on the shortlist for the "Anthology" project was probably dropped due to quality concerns.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 09:35:27 PM by JohnMill » Logged

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 07:26:23 AM »

pretty much everything by them sounds like it could be an elvis and/or everly brothers song. (in a good way)
everything they did or all their early work? because either way that's not true.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 11:42:59 AM »

Newguy, I think it's amusing that you're coming on to a Beach Boys messaboard, amongst people who range in different ages (a good portion perhaps over 35) and you're asking people if they've heard of Al Green or if we've heard of a Beatles song.  Not a complaint--just amusing. Cool
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 11:50:44 AM »

Newguy, I think it's amusing that you're coming on to a Beach Boys messaboard, amongst people who range in different ages (a good portion perhaps over 35) and you're asking people if they've heard of Al Green or if we've heard of a Beatles song.  Not a complaint--just amusing. Cool

It might be better if the thread was titled The Beatles - Love of The Loved (Decca Recording) or something similar, and then if people chime in with a "hey! I never heard that before", NewGuy will get his answer anyway.

This version by The E-Types is pretty good. They were a pop-garage band with a few very minor hits in the mid 60s. They never even heard it, but had a chord book with the song in it, and taught it to themselves. There's a good comp of theirs on Sundazed that has this track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAlmCW0OBfE
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 11:53:14 AM by EgoHanger1966 » Logged

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 12:13:24 PM »

To be fair though, John, the Beatles recorded all of these live in one hour right on the spot at Decca, arriving there tired at 10 o'clock at night after a 10 hour drive in a van after their driver got lost! The Beach Boys had more time to record their songs for Capitol (such as having the time to edit the tape to 409 to add the car sounds) among other things....

And the songs were worthy of pressing them on singles! Remember these? Grin

Hello Little Girl/Three Cool Cats - Deccagone on blue vinyl.

September in the Rain/Shiek of Araby - Deccagone on yellow vinyl.

Love of the Loved/Memphis - Deccagone on green vinyl.

Like Dreamers Do/Searchin' - Deccagone on red vinyl.

Money/Sure to Fall - Deccagone - on clear vinyl.

'Till There Was You/Crying, Wating, Hoping - Deccagone on green vinyl.

Besame Mucho/To Know Him is to Love Him - Deccagone on blue vinyl.

And of course numerous boots have come out over the years of the Decca Session.  I like the Dr. Ebbetts release myself.

Around the time of the release of the Beatles Anthology series, there was a good Beatles convention in S.F. I took my daughter who was 12. She bought some John Lennon glasses and was wearing them around the seller's tables and contests and stuff. One of the sellers at a table leaned over and asked her what her favorite Beatle album was. She replied immediately, "The Decca tape!" She was overheard by a few around us who were surprised that a young girl even knew about the Decca recordings!  Yep, uhhhhh, the ol' man was proud!  Grin

« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 12:42:32 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 12:14:08 PM »

Newguy, I think it's amusing that you're coming on to a Beach Boys messaboard, amongst people who range in different ages (a good portion perhaps over 35) and you're asking people if they've heard of Al Green or if we've heard of a Beatles song.  Not a complaint--just amusing. Cool
well i know there are some people on here that have'nt heard of al green and a few beatles gems Smiley...c'mon there has to be a few people in here new to classic music like i was last year..
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 12:15:55 PM »

Newguy, I think it's amusing that you're coming on to a Beach Boys messaboard, amongst people who range in different ages (a good portion perhaps over 35) and you're asking people if they've heard of Al Green or if we've heard of a Beatles song.  Not a complaint--just amusing. Cool

It might be better if the thread was titled The Beatles - Love of The Loved (Decca Recording) or something similar, and then if people chime in with a "hey! I never heard that before", NewGuy will get his answer anyway.

This version by The E-Types is pretty good. They were a pop-garage band with a few very minor hits in the mid 60s. They never even heard it, but had a chord book with the song in it, and taught it to themselves. There's a good comp of theirs on Sundazed that has this track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAlmCW0OBfE
that's a great version of it Smiley i wish the boys did a coveer of this song with the four part harmonies!
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012, 03:11:55 PM »

To be fair though, John, the Beatles recorded all of these live in one hour right on the spot at Decca, arriving there tired at 10 o'clock at night after a 10 hour drive in a van after their driver got lost! The Beach Boys had more time to record their songs for Capitol (such as having the time to edit the tape to 409 to add the car sounds) among other things....

And the songs were worthy of pressing them on singles! Remember these? Grin

Hello Little Girl/Three Cool Cats - Deccagone on blue vinyl.

September in the Rain/Shiek of Araby - Deccagone on yellow vinyl.

Love of the Loved/Memphis - Deccagone on green vinyl.

Like Dreamers Do/Searchin' - Deccagone on red vinyl.

Money/Sure to Fall - Deccagone - on clear vinyl.

'Till There Was You/Crying, Wating, Hoping - Deccagone on green vinyl.

Besame Mucho/To Know Him is to Love Him - Deccagone on blue vinyl.

And of course numerous boots have come out over the years of the Decca Session.  I like the Dr. Ebbetts release myself.

Around the time of the release of the Beatles Anthology series, there was a good Beatles convention in S.F. I took my daughter who was 12. She bought some John Lennon glasses and was wearing them around the seller's tables and contests and stuff. One of the sellers at a table leaned over and asked her what her favorite Beatle album was. She replied immediately, "The Decca tape!" She was overheard by a few around us who were surprised that a young girl even knew about the Decca recordings!  Yep, uhhhhh, the ol' man was proud!  Grin

Cool story.  The Decca Audition isn't horrible by any means but I can see why they were turned down.  Call it nerves, call it whatever you will but almost every other available performance of songs performed at The Decca Audtion are better in their other incarnation whether it be BBC, studio or live performance.  Still we're fortunate to have the audition tape at our disposal because without it we'd have lost out on quite a number of songs that The Beatles never managed to get down on tape at any other point in their career.

Edit: Another interesting story that I assume most Beatles fans are aware of is during the seventies John Lennon was doggedly trying to locate a copy of The Decca Audition Tape and unfortunately was never able to acquire a copy.  In John's personal tape archive there is a tape labeled "Decca Auditions" I believe but what he actually had on that cassette was a copy of one of the first bootlegs of Beatles/BBC material that at the time was being incorrectly identified as The Decca Auditions by bootleggers.  John didn't know any better and assumed that he had acquired the Real McCoy apparently.  In fact another common rumor is that John may have traded away copies of his own dubs of certain tracks ("What's The New Mary Jane?" & "How Do You Do It") in order to acquire what he thought was The Decca Audition Tape.  Either way copies of both "How Do You Do It" and "What's The New Mary Jane" appeared on the trading scene long before the 1983 leaks and to this day nobody has been able to definitively account where they came from.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 03:23:37 PM by JohnMill » Logged

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
MyGlove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2012, 07:12:18 PM »

everything they did or all their early work? because either way that's not true.

sorry i meant everything they did before 1964. The stuff with Tony Sheridan and such. And i also meant to have Little Richard in there too lol. Just disregard what I said  Smiley
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2012, 07:35:51 PM »

sorry i meant everything they did before 1964. The stuff with Tony Sheridan and such. And i also meant to have Little Richard in there too lol. Just disregard what I said  Smiley
that's another artist they were heavily into in their early career and buddy holly of course Smiley
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2012, 08:39:41 PM »

Yeah, nice song but nothing out of the way. My personal favorite on Decca tapes would be Memphis Tennessee, maybe the strongest of all the 15 tracks.

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2012, 08:34:02 AM »

Hi, Newguy! Yes, I know this song, used to like it but eventually it faded. Cilla Black did better version imo. It's fine when Paul makes Little Richard imitation or when he sings some not-so-interesting Italian ditty Besame Mucho but the vocals on this specific song are somewhat ear-attacking to me. At least now. 
really? i always prefer his version more than cilla black's maybe because she does the song so roughly and this version is smooth and soft (and as you can tell i love soft music "beach boys" lol)
italian ditty? lmao i don't like when he does that but in this case it worked...to me it sounds like he was impersonating elvis lol
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2012, 09:38:12 AM »

Does Besame Mucho really sound like the Italian language? Honestly?

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx