gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680724 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 09:42:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 59: O2 World - Berlin, Germany August 3rd 2012  (Read 58663 times)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 06, 2012, 08:49:47 PM »

Thanks for the report, Rocker!

Great HD videos here

http://www.youtube.com/user/stevebl87

Nice crowd, looks sold out!

Brian does sound great.  Lovin' this.  Two things:

1. He pulls out the sandpaper like he did on the Gershwin's album "Ain't necessarily so"... "JONAHHHH he lived in a whale!  Oh JONNNAHHHH he lived in a whale!".    Love when he does that.

2. I think this is a great, great, great example of how Brian can perform when he's interested in the material.  California Dreamin' is, if anything, a song that he hasn't gotten tired to death of singing over the years.  It's probably still at least somewhat new to him, he's never done it in solo concerts, has he?  Plus his long lost buddy wrote it.    Also, it's Rock & Roll which Brian has been dying to do for 10 years now.

If they want Brian to stay involved, they need to keep him interested with stuff like this. 
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: August 07, 2012, 07:14:44 AM »

@Micha: there's one song missing on your setlist. "California saga: Part3"

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 07, 2012, 10:36:11 AM »

A couple of clips I shot. Sorry for the shaky quality.

Do It Again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARegJW0q1FA

Getcha Back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HqpNuoI4PQ

Pet Sounds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeeqGo1Xe3o

Add Some Music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P7XFO4m9YM

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
Paulos
« Reply #78 on: August 07, 2012, 11:30:20 AM »

Only got back to the UK late last night so haven't had time to post until now. After the mostly glowing reviews from the US leg of the tour the show was all I expected and more, I'm still amazed at just how good they sounded vocally with special mention going to Mike, how many other 71 year-olds can sing that many leads that well?! The a capella tags to some of the songs like Kiss Me Baby and Darlin' were worth the price of admission alone (special mention to Darian for his killer vocal on Darlin') and it was nice to see everyone have a chance to shine: David on Getcha Back and Pet Sounds, Bruce on Wendy and Disney Girls, Al on Cotton Fields and Help Me Rhonda, Brian on Please Let Me Wonder and God Only Knows, Mike on everything else. The only quibble I had was regarding the sound, vocally it was great but the mix for the instruments was a bit muddy but seemed to improve after the intermission. It was also great to meet my fellow Smiley Smilers at the Eastern Comfort bar boat before the gig, this was the first time I've ever got to hang out with fellow obsessed Beach Boys fans and by sheer coincidence it turned out Rob Dean was sat in the row behind me just to my left! All in all it was well worth the trip, no wbring on Wembley!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: August 07, 2012, 12:26:13 PM »

Very good, but unfortunately also small snippet of Add Some Music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldZfP9MiJkc

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: August 07, 2012, 01:15:00 PM »

A short report from the O2 site. Two famous german actors who attended the show are interviewed and we see some live footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNQOT2ZhyV8

- Jack Rieley
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: August 08, 2012, 12:19:46 AM »

@Micha: there's one song missing on your setlist. "California saga: Part3"

Must've accidentally deleted that when I added Disney Girls.

Still a bummer they didn't do Dance Dance Dance, one of my top 3 BB favorites.

On Monday I recorded the ZDF Mittagsmagazin hoping there would be a report, and so it was, 3 minutes. Unfortunately whoever did that seemed not to like the Beach Boys: "Dynamik ist was anderes", he said, and then he found a guy who claimed his girlfriend has been irritating "everybody" by playing a Beach Boys cassette in her car for ten years. Jerk. At least he acknowledged the quality of the song "Summer's Gone". Bruce got to say in an interview that the only thing that has changed in the concerts for him over the years was his eyes got bad so he can't tell whether there really were spectators or if they had just painted the seats. That made Al claim ".. and I'm deaf."

So here's the revised Berlin setlist:

Do It Again
Little Honda
Catch a Wave
Hawaii (Dave lead)
Don't Back Down
Surfin' Safari
Surfer Girl
You're So Good to Me
Then I Kissed Her
Please Let Me Wonder
Getcha Back (Dave lead)
Wendy (Bruce lead)
Kiss Me, Baby
Come Go with Me
Why Do Fools Fall in Love
When I Grow Up (to Be a Man)
Disney Girls
California
It's OK
Darlin' (Darian lead)
Ballad of Ol' Betsy (Scott T. lead)
Be True to Your School (Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen)
Don't Worry Baby
Announcement of the intermission after the next 4 songs
Little Deuce Coupe
Shut Down
I Get Around

Intermission

Pet Sounds (David Marks on lead guitar with backing band)
Add Some Music to Your Day
Sail on, Sailor
Heroes and Villains
I Just Wasn't Made for These Times
All This Is That
Cotton Fields
That's Why God Made the Radio
In My Room
God Only Knows (Brians sing lead)
California Dreamin'
Sloop John B
Wouldn't It Be Nice
Good Vibrations
California Girls
All Summer Long
Help Me, Rhonda
Rock and Roll Music
Surfin' USA

Encore:
Kokomo
Barbara Ann
Fun, Fun, Fun

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: August 08, 2012, 07:13:59 AM »

Haha, they probably had a commentary ready before the concert even started. It's typical german TV to report about stuff they don't know nothing about.
BTW in some reviews it was mentioned that the last time the Beach Boys (Mike & Bruce) played in Berlin was 2003 (somehow no one mentioned Brian's solo concerts in Berlin) and they said it was not good and fans were complaining about it. Does anyone hve more info about that?

One thing that I was reminded and didn't mention before. Mike should really be more careful with his tambourine. It's very annoying on GOK, because he only knows one way to play it (on uptempo songs lke SloopJB it sounds good) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcUJgOtC2eo

- Jack Rieley
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: August 08, 2012, 09:18:34 AM »

It's typical german TV to report about stuff they don't know nothing about.

Are you sure other countries' TV reporters don't do that? Wink 2

One otherwise good newspaper article claimed that Brian never performed with the Beach Boys in Berlin before. This source says they played Berlin in 1964 (November 17):
 http://www.btinternet.com/~bellagio/gigs64.html

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: August 08, 2012, 09:30:47 AM »

It's typical german TV to report about stuff they don't know nothing about.

Are you sure other countries' TV reporters don't do that? Wink 2

One otherwise good newspaper article claimed that Brian never performed with the Beach Boys in Berlin before. This source says they played Berlin in 1964 (November 17):
 http://www.btinternet.com/~bellagio/gigs64.html

I heard many reports that the Beach Boys didn't play Berlin since almost 50 years. I guess it's just that most of them don't know about the history. They probably think that after Brianstopped touring in '64 it was the Mike & Bruce show, Al's Family & Friends and Brian solo. It's very strange what's been said and I really don't know how they get to those conclusions. Does that happen in other countries ?  Grin

- Jack Rieley
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 19, 2012, 10:40:46 AM »

Video of ASMTYD: CLICK. I hope the Count will upload more clips.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: September 19, 2012, 02:42:26 PM »

very cool, nice strong vocals by Al and Bruce

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: May 07, 2015, 11:51:24 AM »

It's been awhile that bgas posted this picture in the media section, but I just stumbled upon it and think it fits in here really well.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx