gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:35:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 59: O2 World - Berlin, Germany August 3rd 2012  (Read 58516 times)
Surfing Moose
Smiley Smile Associate

violation of §12: failing to surf...

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2012, 09:06:50 AM »

RIP old Setlist, which apparently was rubbish

Thanks Micha for your list  Smiley
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 03:23:44 PM by Surfing Moose » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2012, 09:15:43 AM »

There was no Carl-vocal on "God only knows", it was Brian who did a very good job with the lead.
And I have the feeling that "It's ok" was done in the firs set but I could be wrong

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Surfing Moose
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2012, 09:18:45 AM »

There was no Carl-vocal on "God only knows", it was Brian who did a very good job with the lead.
And I have the feeling that "It's ok" was done in the firs set but I could be wrong

Can't remember them playing  "It's ok"
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2012, 09:21:53 AM »

Can't remember them playing  "It's ok"

They did. But as I mentioned I can't remember exactly if they did it in the first set or in the second as in the posted setlist. I tend to believe it was in the first but I know someone wrote down the setlist so we'll get it

« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 09:25:16 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Surfing Moose
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2012, 09:24:03 AM »

Can't remember them playing  "It's ok"

They did. But as I mentioned I can't remember exactly if they did it in the first set or in the second as in the posted setlist. I tend to believe it was in the first but I know someone wrote down the setlist so we'll get it

It was in the second set, my setlist above is quite authentic  Grin

I just cant remember them playing it...
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2012, 09:24:46 AM »

It was in the second set, my setlist above is quite authentic  Grin

Ok, but you missed "Ballad of ol' Betsy"  Wink And as mentioned, there was no pre-recorded Carl vocal
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 09:26:38 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Surfing Moose
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2012, 09:35:37 AM »

Ok, but you missed "Ballad of ol' Betsy"  Wink And as mentioned, there was no pre-recorded Carl vocal

I copied that list and thought it was ok, but Betsy definitly is missing, I changed it, though I don't know the correct position in the list. It was first set.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2012, 09:42:50 AM »

I copied that list and thought it was ok, but Betsy definitly is missing, I changed it, though I don't know the correct position in the list. It was first set.

I think it was done right after "Darlin'" (which is also missing). I'm not sure though. IIRC Darian was the first of the band who got a lead that night

EDIT:

Here's a german TV report:

http://www.tagesschau.de/multimedia/video/sendungsbeitrag184896~_res-.html
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 10:23:52 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2012, 10:27:37 AM »

pretty sure its ok was the 1st set (after california I think) and before Darlin

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2012, 10:33:06 AM »

Surfin' Safari:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O6Z9waKBoY

The same user has more videos up

- Jack Rieley
Surfing Moose
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2012, 10:43:54 AM »

I guess my setlist isn't that authentic after all...
One of the reviews said the played 49 songs. Adding Betsy and Darlin' it's up to 47.

Nice TV report. I saw them make the interviews.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2012, 10:49:06 AM »

I hoped they'd come to interview me and I wanted to say how great the Beach Boys are and at the end go "I hope they'll play My Generation tonight"  Grin

Anyway, more videos by this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7eqUMsQklM

Do It Again:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrgJM0tGGjI

Fun Fun Fun:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHZ8sgNfKP4
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 10:59:04 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2012, 01:27:16 PM »

Here's the setlist according to my notes (pretty authentic too Wink 2):

Do It Again
Little Honda
Catch a Wave
Hawaii (Dave lead)
Don't Back Down
Surfin' Safari
Surfer Girl
You're So Good to Me
Then I Kissed Her
Please Let Me Wonder
Getcha Back (Dave lead)
Wendy (Bruce lead)
Kiss Me, Baby
Come Go with Me
Why Do Fools Fall in Love
When I Grow Up (to Be a Man)
Disney Girls
It's OK
Darlin' (Darian lead)
Ballad of Ol' Betsy (Scott T. lead)
Be True to Your School (Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen)
Don't Worry Baby
Announcement of the intermission after the next 4 songs
Little Deuce Coupe
Shut Down
I Get Around

Intermission

Pet Sounds (David Marks on lead guitar with backing band)
Add Some Music to Your Day
Sail on, Sailor
Heroes and Villains
I Just Wasn't Made for These Times
All This Is That
Cotton Fields
That's Why God Made the Radio
In My Room
God Only Knows (Brians sing lead)
California Dreamin'
Sloop John B
Wouldn't It Be Nice
Good Vibrations
California Girls
All Summer Long
Help Me, Rhonda
Rock and Roll Music
Surfin' USA

Encore:
Kokomo
Barbara Ann
Fun, Fun, Fun

I noticed Jeff sang Mike's deleted lyrics in Good Vibrations: "she goes with me to a blossom world we find"

Dave's backing vox were especially audible in "When I grow up", counting up the years.

Bruce clowned around quite a lot. During the H&V chorus he watched Mike D'Amicos hand going up and down the bass strings from about 2 inches distance, making a astonished silly face.

Brian frequently turned to the audience trying to get them to move to the music by making gestures. The first time I noticed that was during "It's OK". In the organ bridge in "Good Vibrations" he told the audience to clap, which I rather wish he didn't because that took the quiet mood from that part.

Two songs that I'm not into I liked more live: "Sail On Sailor" due to Brian's lead, and, surprisingly, "Kokomo", which featured a nice two-part harmony by Mike and Bruce with no additional vocal backing by the other singers. Generally, the vocal blend was quite well.

I didn't spot any autotune, rather a few flat notes from Brian. Not too many though.

The song that moved me most was "Wendy", for some reason. And the most majestic moment to me was the beginning of the tag to "God Only Knows" when Brian called "God only knows what I'd be without you" and Bruce answered, the very same people as on the original record. And then Al chimed in... great!

A nice thing also was to meet some of you guys on the boat: Paulos, RobDean, Annalee, Gordon, Jukka, Lowbacca, Rocker...

Thanks to Rocker for the news research!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 01:45:56 PM by Micha » Logged

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2012, 03:12:23 PM »

That setlist sounds about right. Thanks Micha !

I can't even pick out one favorite moment of the show. The whole show was one big highlight to me. Seeing Brian enjoy himself and - as pointed out earlier - not only singing lead but also doing background parts and playing his piano for nearly every song (it was in the mix as you could hear it between songs, but probably quite low). Everyone seemed so happy and it showed in their performances.
I think "Little Honda" always sounds boring when listening to live performances but when you're in the hall it really rocks as it should.

An interview with Brian and Mike (in german translation):
http://www.tagesspiegel.de/kultur/50-jahre-beach-boys-und-es-war-sommer/6950806.html

« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 03:29:31 PM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2012, 03:31:11 PM »

They are from Santa Barbara now Jeff? Huh
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2012, 03:34:05 PM »

I believe David was born there and lived there until his family moved to Hawthorne

Did I say how cool I find the intro ? Only Cowsill laying down that groove while everybody gets on stage and then the boys....
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 03:35:21 PM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2012, 03:52:42 PM »

Oh the intro is the greatest. I keep watching this version from Irvine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G8-dJzL1gc

Re the Europe shows. Looks like 'Isn't it Time' has gone. Pity, as I guess it is unlikely for my show in Australia now.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2012, 03:58:22 PM »

I believe David was born there and lived there until his family moved to Hawthorne

David was born in Pennsylvania and lived there until his family moved to Hawthorne...actually Inglewood. Jeff was just joking around, Bruce lives near Santa Barbara, Jeff used to live there, Mike used to live there too.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 05, 2012, 05:18:11 PM »

Rocker's report that he heard an interview confirming that the BB will work on the (I am confidently switching from an indefinite to a definite article) new album, polishing off those songs by Al, Bruce, and Dave that are close to being in the can but did not make TWGMTR, is the biggest piece of news I have gotten from this excellent, informative series of reports, though no one seems to be seizing upon it.

A new album, where we hear some new songs and perhaps some new Wilson/Love pieces will be great.  I love the album, of course, and have written rapturously about it, but it's  full of older, Joe Thomas pieces that were on the shelf from Brian's solo era. Mike and the Boys came in and added and beautified and supplemented and re-imagined, etc., but I like the idea of a ground-up BB production, in one studio, with one set of musicians--and no Skunk Baxter.

Will anyone take me up on the task of listening to "I think about you often," Dave's solo album, and correlating his guitar parts there  to his (purported) parts on TWGMTR? These juxtapositions reveal his signature style on "Summers Gone" and also the "Chuck Berry" fills on BIM, where I think Skunk is only playing some fuzz  or wah-wah peddle fills and no actual lead lines.  I am not all all sure, and I will demure to those who know better.
Thanks and best to all,

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2012, 05:03:33 AM »

David was born in Pennsylvania and lived there until his family moved to Hawthorne...actually Inglewood. Jeff was just joking around, Bruce lives near Santa Barbara, Jeff used to live there, Mike used to live there too.

Allright. Then it was like that. thanks for clearing it up.

I love the album, of course, and have written rapturously about it, but it's  full of older, Joe Thomas pieces that were on the shelf from Brian's solo era.

Well, the stuff wasn't really Brian solo material but since he and Joe worked on it in the 90s he was very clear that it was supposed for the Beach Boys and that's why he didn't work on it until now.

A new album, where we hear some new songs and perhaps some new Wilson/Love pieces will be great.

That would be neat. But the problem is that no one mentioned "new" songs. Al said that "Do it again" will be on the record and we know that Bruce re-cut "She believes in love again". At this point I'm not that optimistic in case there really should be a new album.

- Jack Rieley
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: August 06, 2012, 09:10:48 AM »

To those interested, today (Monday) there are reports on the Berlin concert in the FAZ, Süddeutsche Zeitung and Berliner Zeitung.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 06, 2012, 09:56:52 AM »

Allright. Then it was like that. thanks for clearing it up.

I love the album, of course, and have written rapturously about it, but it's  full of older, Joe Thomas pieces that were on the shelf from Brian's solo era.

Well, the stuff wasn't really Brian solo material but since he and Joe worked on it in the 90s he was very clear that it was supposed for the Beach Boys and that's why he didn't work on it until now.

A new album, where we hear some new songs and perhaps some new Wilson/Love pieces will be great.

That would be neat. But the problem is that no one mentioned "new" songs. Al said that "Do it again" will be on the record and we know that Bruce re-cut "She believes in love again". At this point I'm not that optimistic in case there really should be a new album.

Got it. I suppose that "new" was not the right term.  I ought to have said that I would like to see Al, Bruce, and Dave represented with whatever songs they themselves want to get on the album, whether they are new or have been on the shelf. It will be new and fresh and exciting to many of us.  Mainly the idea that "we can keep doing this so let's produce those great songs you guys have" is what excites me. My point is so facile, I suppose--wanting more more BB songs to cherish.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: August 06, 2012, 01:23:54 PM »

Source: http://www.berliner-zeitung.de/kultur/beach-boys-in-berlin-hier-singt-der-chef-noch-selbst,10809150,16808034.html

And there is a gallery on the site of the O2 World:
http://www.o2world-berlin.de/Media/Mediabox/gallery/the-beach-boys--fotos-vom-konzert-am-03-08-2012.html

- Jack Rieley
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 06, 2012, 04:17:41 PM »

Back after 3000 km cruising through Austria and Germany in 5 days. It was an exhausting trip but worth every drop of sweat and cent we spent. First of all it was great meeting some of you guys and we should definitely repeat this some time again. Rob is really a fun guy and it was nice talking to Jukka and Lowbacca,  I just would have wished to talk more with the others as well. I didn't go to the after party as well because we drove right after the gig to Stuttgart. It was our first time in Germany and it was great, lovely people there, I understand them even better then in Austria.  Grin  And yeah, they sure have some beautiful girls.

We shall start with the Berlin one. We got to the arena early and there was one guy who made a comment about my Pacific Ocean Blue shirt. Later it turned out this guy was Rob. He told us some very fascinating stories and you could see the sparkle in his eyes when telling them. Suddenly he made a strange look and then he was there: Brian Wilson escorted in a car, my heart was bumping, it looked as he wanted to get out. But he was very nervous, even though they were maybe just half a dozen fans waiting there. They still used another way then, maybe with the staff it looked like too much people for Brian or his “chaperone”.  After the enjoyable meeting at the boat we got to our seats, second row in front of Mike and Al. I was overwhelmed by seeing my heroes. After all it was my first Beach Boys show my brother saw Brian 5 years ago at the Vienna opera house, but that's all. Right at the beginning Mike gave me a thump up and pointed to my POB shirt and I was like in heaven. Al gave me one as well since I sang along to pretty much every song. (Yeah thanks to Jukka I had a glass of beer too much).  Wink

I was impressed by their set and the guys were on that night. Brian lost his voice for only a brief moment for “I Just Wasn't Made For These Times”. It was so much fun seeing the backing band and David jam on “Pet Sounds”, brilliant. I never really much cared for the Brian Wilson band but they won me over. Mike D'Amico's playing and sound was superb. The guy next to me was blown away and we talked a little through out the concert. At one time he said to me that Darian sounds just like Carl on “Darlin'”. I disagreed, it didn't really sound like Carl but his voice was awesome in his own way and was a real highlight. Brian repeated his line on “California Saga” at the end but no one caught on it. Fun moment during “Add Some Music” when Brian started singing one of Bruce' lines with the latter looking confused and then Brian shared a giggle. The only low point was the ending with some drunk guy getting in front of me and waving with his hands in front of my face and bawling to “Rock And Roll Music” and “Barbara Ann”.  Sorry for my limited English but I hope you could still enjoy my Berlin review.

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 06, 2012, 05:40:38 PM »

Hi all , now back home in the U.K. after a rather fab long weekend in Germany - now need a day off after spending 250,000 Euros on 26 East European girls ( Ukraine girls really knock me out , they leave the rest behind  LOL )  only joking , I have the set lists for both Berlin and Stuttgart written down and will post ASAP - Love to all you guys I met it was a blast and would love to 'Do It Again' BUT will it ever happen again ? Sadly I think not , but the memories will live forever xx
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx