gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:04:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 59: O2 World - Berlin, Germany August 3rd 2012  (Read 58506 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: July 25, 2012, 03:12:20 PM »

Capacity: 17 000, but I seem to remember that the Beach Boys use the stage set up that only allows for 12 000. We'll see.
Should look like this:

The Beach Boys in Berlin 1994:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoFw5e50IFw

Brian Wilson in Berlin 2005, part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS3LNn7HGyE

part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPJnD4cpjDM&feature=channel&list=UL

part 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MBSR0boJpg&feature=BFa&list=ULrPJnD4cpjDM

part 4:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBLpbKA1pL0&feature=BFa&list=UL1MBSR0boJpg

part 5:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VfnXnFqpFA&feature=BFa&list=ULSBLpbKA1pL0

part 6:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcY1hpDG4pM&feature=BFa&list=UL3VfnXnFqpFA

Does anyone know if we are allowed to take pictures ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 03:23:19 PM »

I think I will be attending this event.  Drinking Buddies

P.S. For whoever else is going, check out THIS THREAD.
Paulos
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 03:28:56 PM »

I think I will be attending this event.  Drinking Buddies

P.S. For whoever else is going, check out THIS THREAD.

Only 9 days to go before I get to see The Beach Boys for the first time ever and meet up with the 'Super Awesome Beach Boys Berlin 2012 SMiley Smile Crew' as I have decided we shall be known.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 03:52:29 PM »

Bring it on... Cheesy

Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 06:33:59 AM »

I'd love to see videos from this venue, I'm sure the energy in that arena will be powerful.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 06:54:41 AM »

I bet Mike will have a few awkward jokes/comments for the German audience. He wont be able to resist mentioning the war  Shocked
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 06:56:16 AM by My Brother Woody » Logged

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 07:24:12 AM »

I bet Mike will have a few awkward jokes/comments for the German audience. He wont be able to resist mentioning the war  Shocked

Probably the cars.

Does anyone know how many tickets are sold ? I've heard everything from few to almost sold out.
And what about pictures ? Is it allowed ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 07:30:55 AM »

seems to be only a handful of tickets left on ticketmaster. There are 5 sections with tickets still available, everything else is grey.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 07:34:22 AM by My Brother Woody » Logged

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 07:33:48 AM »

seems to be only a handful of tickets left on ticketmaster. There are 5 sections with tickets still available, everything else is grey.

Surfing Moose
Smiley Smile Associate

violation of §12: failing to surf...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 04:25:57 AM »

5 days to go, counting today
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 04:47:09 AM »

Me today:  Transcendental Meditation
Me tomorrow:  Happy Dance
Me the day after tomorrow:  Que?
Me on Thursday:  Banana
Me on Friday:  Ahhh!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 08:54:03 AM »

Me today:  Transcendental Meditation
Me tomorrow:  Happy Dance
Me the day after tomorrow:  Que?
Me on Thursday:  Banana
Me on Friday:  Ahhh!

Friday night:  Drinking Buddies

Anyway, here's an article I found today:
http://www.blogonly-apartments.de/the-beach-boys-berlin/

Whoever wrote it seems not to be a native german speaker and also gets a few things wrong about the history of the band.

And if anyone still needs tickets, I came across this. Prices go from 50 Euro to 150 Euro (scroll down):

http://kleinanzeigen.ebay.de/anzeigen/s-anzeige/the-beach-boys-berlin-03-08-2012/70475341
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 09:28:39 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 01:18:57 PM »

I sure hope so!  Cool
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 01:52:01 PM »

I sure hope so!  Cool

Can't wait

Me at the Berlin gig   w00t!

Then some more  Beer   and after a few too many    Dead Horse

and when I finally get back home monday evening   Violin

See you all on THE BOAT friday
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 02:11:26 PM »

[...] and when I finally get back home monday evening   Violin
LOL
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 03:07:07 PM »

Does anyone know if the Boys are scheduled to appear on German TV for an interview or something? After all they're here for 3 gigs in total!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 12:23:02 AM »

Does anyone know if the Boys are scheduled to appear on German TV for an interview or something? After all they're here for 3 gigs in total!

Maybe "Kulturzeit" on 3Sat. They reported on both BWPS and TSS, the latter even with those silent GV sessions footage.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2012, 05:52:34 AM »

Haven't heard anything about it. Maybe some Boulevard-magazine like "taff" or "Leute heute". The latter one seems more likely though.
Or as Micha said "Kulturzeit".

- Jack Rieley
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2012, 08:52:07 PM »

well........how was it?  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2012, 02:18:40 AM »

It was really good (obvs).

The show was filmed.

Great set list with an intermission.

It was so special to hear people doing their original vocal parts from the records live...I'd only ever seen Brian live before.

The mix seemed a little harsh at times - although Mike sang *great*, some of his leads hurt my ears a bit.  Still an amazing night though.  Brian seemed quite perky as well.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 02:36:40 AM by Sam_BFC » Logged

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2012, 04:14:54 AM »

I just got home and haven't slept very much. So in short: it was a great (!) show. Very good performances by the boys (and band of course). Each guy seemed to be in really fine form. Brian was on and moved around quite a lot, sang backgound vocals and played his piano on almost every song (I had a perfect seat for watching his keyboard). On some songs he only used one hand, for example "All this is that" for which he only used his right one or the left on "Then I kissed her". I already told the other concert goers from SmileySmile that I was very surprised at how little the backgroundband sang. Sure, they added harmonies (Darian did a great Darlin' and Scott Totten a beautiful Boob) but mostly it was really just the 5 Beach Boys plus Foskett and Totten. It really was a fantastic concert and even though they didn't play "Marcella" as I hoped for I couldn't have asked for anything more.
Of the rarities they did "Pet sounds" (David played around a little and added some licks that weren't part of the original recording) "IJWMFTT" "Add some music" (afterwards Brian goes "The boys!") "Kiss me baby" "California saga" "Cottonfields" "Please let me wonder" "You're so good to me" "Wendy" "Sail on sailor" "All this is that" "Darlin" "Disney girls (1957)" (fantastic performance by Bruce) "Come go with me" "Getcha back"
BTW "Good vibrations" was not part of the encore ! It was played as one of the last songs of the regular 2nd set.
Brian added some harmonies now and then that seemed to come out of the blue. On "Disney girls" he all of a sudden added a harmonie that sounded big, beautiful and melancholy. It wasn't on the original recording and just stunning. Even if it was just a few seconds.

It really was a mesmerizing show and I'm happy that all the guys were enjoying themselves. I looked at Brian more than once during the show and seeing him I got the feeling that he was really at home with these guys. Quite touching

Some other things:
From my seat I could look directly into the backstage area (made some pictures, too) and I was surprised that they had quite a bunch of young girls there. Some hung around Brian and Al who spent the time of intermission sitting together. I don't know if there were some daughters of the guys or maybe wifes/girlfriends of some of the band members.

And when Mike introduced "Boob" he said something like "Have you ever been in love with a car that's growin' old?" and someone in the audience yelled "BMW!". Mike: "No, BMW's never get old !"  LOL

Brian had a little choreography for "Sail on sailor" moving his arms upwards or sideways, to the body or away from the body (typical Brian stuff). BUT almost the whole backing band joined him in doing so and at one point Bruce did, too. I thought that was funny.

When Mike did his spin on "Surfin' safari" (iirc) Bruce and Scott Totten each also did a spin.

Brian introduced David and "Getcha back" by calling him "the 64 years young guy".

I didn't get any poster, they were all sold out after the show. But I have a programme and it's really, really nice. There's even a new (to me) picture from the early 60s of Brian at the drums and Al with Brian's bass. The essay is not very good though, but that's just a minor thing.

BTW there was a camera guy on stage quite often but that was for the monitor outside of the O2 world somebody said. It wasn't filmed for DVD or something similar.

When I get around to upload some pictures I will post them here

EDIT:

Some stuff I found

Source: http://www.tagesspiegel.de/berlin/grosser-auftritt-in-berlin-beach-boys-did-it-again/6961624.html  (they will post a review tomorrow)

« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 01:27:55 PM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2012, 08:34:49 AM »

Thanks for the report, Rocker!

Great HD videos here

http://www.youtube.com/user/stevebl87

Nice crowd, looks sold out!

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2012, 10:36:19 AM »

I think our members deserve a note of thanks and support when they contribute a report so insightful and generous--what a solace it is to us fans back here at home, esp. in LA, who are so hungry for BB information, especially the kind of humane observations that Rocker has made. So, in short, thank you Rocker from the professor.

This is only an innocent guess, but I can't imagine that the BB will not just head back to the studio and produce another album, considering the powerful energy and artistic bliss that that are generating with their shows and have generated with their album.
Surfing Moose
Smiley Smile Associate

violation of §12: failing to surf...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2012, 12:03:03 PM »

Just came back from Berlin, it was an awsome concert.
What a set llst! (quite simular to Oslo) Darian threw a paper plane into the crowd at the end of the concert, maybe that was the set list?  Cheesy
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2012, 01:02:09 PM »

I think our members deserve a note of thanks and support when they contribute a report so insightful and generous--what a solace it is to us fans back here at home, esp. in LA, who are so hungry for BB information, especially the kind of humane observations that Rocker has made. So, in short, thank you Rocker from the professor.

This is only an innocent guess, but I can't imagine that the BB will not just head back to the studio and produce another album, considering the powerful energy and artistic bliss that that are generating with their shows and have generated with their album.

Thanks for your kind words !

EDIT:
Funny you mention that, because on my way home I looked into a music magazine that featured an interview with David, Al and Bruce. Bruce (of all) said that after the tour they will work on songs for the next album which will feature stuff from Al, David and Bruce that is already finished or will be finished then. The reporter asked abou the 2012 Do It Again and Al said it will be on the next album. I don't know of course if anything of that is true. I don't think we need the re-recording of DIA (or other songs for that matter) on a new album. TWGMTR is the way to go if they'll do another one.

The reporter also asked if they were surprised that the reunion happened and Al said he wasn't because it was a natural progress of which David answered something like Al should be the last one to be surprised Al, as he talked about the reunion the whole time with the press when nothing was planned.  Cheesy

What I forgot: Bruce really, REALLY got the crowd going. Whoever said that his crazy behaviour works in concert, was absolutely right. My biggest problem always was that he clowned around in front of the stage when he was supposed to be at his mic. But that happened very seldomly yesterday and as I mentioned, he got the crowd going. So I'd like to apologize if I ever said that he shouldn't do it and that it was disturbing to see him act that way.

I read several reports and it was said that the concert was nearly sold out with 9000 people. I saw which kind of seats were left and they were very bad. You probably wouldn't have seen anything from there.

Thanks Slim Shady for the videos ! "Wouldn't it be nice" brought the house down !

Here's another - glowing - review (in german though, hope you dig the pictures):

Source: http://www.faz.net/aktuell/feuilleton/pop/die-beach-boys-in-berlin-fun-fun-fun-11843756.html
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 01:34:42 PM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx