gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:46:07 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Which do you prefer?
The Beach Boys Love You - 67 (49.3%)
Pacific Ocean Blue - 69 (50.7%)
Total Voters: 125

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Twofer polls #5, part b) Love You vs Pacific Ocean Blue  (Read 35469 times)
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2012, 09:05:52 PM »

It is a close vote at this point, and Brian loyalists can't really be blamed for that. There are some great tunes on Love You that would be even greater if they had been given a fuller arrangement; there are some great tunes that attain that state due to the zany "meta-DIY" approach taken with them.

These have tended to become systematically overrated, however, via the need for a narrative about Brian that elevates the craziness and chaos that he and the band exhibited in the wake of their improbably massive 1974-76 revival. All of that was sad, because in another scenario they could have been something much more than how it turned out. We can thank that chaos for giving us Love You, which subverts so much--but the two or three LPs that might well have followed Holland, works that could have allowed the BBs to have their artistic/commercial cake and eat it too--were rendered stillborn as a result.

POB is unique in the BB extended oeuvre (pardon my French) in that it genuinely straddles the best parts of the band's aesthetic AND overlays something entirely different--something unprecedented and otherwise absent. Yes, it's a bit overwrought in places, but I'm down with Jon S. in stating that it is a masterpiece. Dennis' voice is sometimes a tough thing to love, to be sure, but the songs and production are stellar. It really rewards the listener who becomes intimate with it. I like Love You, but I love POB.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2012, 10:18:55 PM »

I gave it to Love You but only because it just sounds like nothing else. Neither does Pacific Ocean Blue, but Love You sounds....weirder. I could never tire of either one, though.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2012, 11:25:33 PM »

POB. No contest. It does lag at times but it's high points (of which there are many) rate as high as anything the Beach Boys have ever done.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2012, 02:35:03 AM »

'Love You' is more fun and I can listen to it anytime, while 'POB' needs a certain mood to fully be appreciated.

But overall, Dennis' solo album is stronger and more complete.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2012, 03:00:07 AM »

I love almost every song that Dennis ever wrote for The Beach Boys. The POB LP (before it was reissued) was #1 on my wantlist for years. So this is an album that I really should like. And an album that I want to like. But I just can't get into it. IMO, River Song and Farewell My Friend are the only songs that are up there with his best Beach Boys songs.

So it's The Beach Boys Love You for me.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2012, 03:39:47 AM »

Love You - is f--kin' cool

But, POB - is f--kin ' SPECTACULAR

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Jaco
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2012, 04:41:13 AM »

Of course it's apples vs oranges

Love You
is made with very intelectual understanding of chords and arrangements, all that magic inside the notes, Brian's style. Yet the production is very basic and raw (and saved, sweetened by Carl Wilson's post production)
I have a theory that Brian wanted to write a whole lp with 'wrong' parallel 5ths,  the last 'wrong' song LIAW is a very good example of these 5ths, gruff vocals on purpose etc. During this free creative process, he gets more serious and the final results are original and magic nonetheless. Musicians can learn from it for ages! example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IjSHK5QL1A

POB
is a great production. Compared to LY, LY sounds like a demo.
This music is more from the heart than intellectual. The music flows free, and has not always strict measures. If LY is a delicious miniature stamp, POB tries to be a very large romantic painting. It's  like Mozart vs Wagner, apples vs oranges!

I think POB is by far a better production, but Love You is more interesting.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 04:56:35 AM by Jaco » Logged
Youre Under Arrest
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2012, 04:55:40 AM »

The lyrics, the farting synths (despite their charm) and some really lame songs kill Love You for me. Granted, I really enjoy Good Time, I'll Bet He's Nice and Ding Dang's very fun. Don't get me wrong, I really love the album but those are somethings that let it down.

POB on the other hand is just fantastic. With the glorious River Song, the rocking sound of What's Wrong, the mysterious Moonshine, the beautiful Thoughts Of You, the simply fantastic You And I (my favourite song on the album), the upbeat greatness of Pacific Ocean Blues and the saddening Farewell My Friend and End Of The Show. It's just a far more superior album with great lyrics, a great sound, no farts and fantastic instrumentation.

"ALL THINGS THAT LIVE ONE DAY MAY MUST DIE, YOU KNOW?"
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 04:57:12 AM by Youre Under Arrest » Logged

"My name is Brian and I'm the man, I write hit songs with the wave of my hand" - Brian Wilson

Not only was Brian a musical genius, but he was a real cool head, making real good bread.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2012, 06:07:07 AM »

To me, POB is a much better album. But I prefer Love You for its quirkiness. I could make the same comparison between Holland and Friends. As for That's Why God Made the Radio, no its not up to par with POB, but its up to par with the LALA.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2012, 07:48:03 AM »

POB should be winning this one by a far greater percentage than it actually is. Disappointed. It's just so blatantly the superior album (but then I like Beach Boys 85 so what do i know...)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2012, 08:56:36 AM »

I'm not voting AGAINST POB, just FOR Love You. police

Pacific Ocean Blue is the first and best BB solo album. For me personally, there isn't even a close second. One of the main reasons is because that album IS Dennis, whereas most of the other BB solo albums are anything but solo albums.

That being said, I give the edge to Love You because it has that goofy, fun side and Brian was able to come up with some top-flight post-age 30 rock and roll. While I adore Dennis' ballads (he was a master at them), POB can come off as too maudlin or too melancholy. As much as Dennis had that wild, aggressive side to his personality, it didn't manifest itself in his attempts at rock and roll. His "fast" tunes are OK, but they don't have the same effect as his slower stuff, for me anyway. Love You does successfully cover BOTH sides.
Compost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2012, 08:57:10 AM »

POB hands-down for me.  Love You is an interesting curio but it's closet-listening and too easy to hit 'skip' throughout - POB I can actually play at a party and sway listeners to its charms.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2012, 09:17:40 AM »

What's the best track on POB?

Or, more accurately, what are the two songs on the album that are actually good?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2012, 10:11:10 AM »

What's the best track on POB?

Or, more accurately, what are the two songs on the album that are actually good?

Erm... River Song, Moonshine, Friday Night, Thoughts Of You, Time, You & I, the title track, Farewell My Friend, Rainbows - there's 9 pretty fantastic songs right there, mate! Even the three i've not included, which are my least favourites, are still blatantly not bad songs by any estimation. I could however quite easily name you several bad songs from Love You...
MyGlove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2012, 11:09:13 PM »

I'll say POB. That is a master work. LY is just a very enjoyable album, but objectively not as good, in any manner, as POB.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2012, 12:32:53 AM »

I love Dennis' work but this poll is a no-brainer if there ever was one... Love You all the way! Perhaps my favorite pop record by anyone. It sure has its flaws (lots of them actually!), but like its own creator once famously said, it just hits the spot. The pleasure, the pain, and the Moog!
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2012, 10:44:09 AM »

I Love "Love you" but "POB" is IMO a far better album,better production,better lyrics and sung with more passion and pain,I mean there's nothing on Love You that is as heart felt as "Thoughts of you" and "you and I"..
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2012, 12:07:46 PM »

Love You is in my Top 5 albums of all time, so easily that one for me.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2012, 11:17:25 PM »

Its like a unconventionally attractive girl with an oddly unique personality vs a wet-dream sex-bomb tear your soul out passion orgy. I'll take the latter.

I'll take the former, haha! Both in metaphor and in actuality. I don't think, in any of these threads, that I have voted for the winning album.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
MBE
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2012, 11:40:18 PM »

The lyrics, the farting synths (despite their charm) and some really lame songs kill Love You for me. Granted, I really enjoy Good Time, I'll Bet He's Nice and Ding Dang's very fun. Don't get me wrong, I really love the album but those are somethings that let it down.

POB on the other hand is just fantastic. With the glorious River Song, the rocking sound of What's Wrong, the mysterious Moonshine, the beautiful Thoughts Of You, the simply fantastic You And I (my favourite song on the album), the upbeat greatness of Pacific Ocean Blues and the saddening Farewell My Friend and End Of The Show. It's just a far more superior album with great lyrics, a great sound, no farts and fantastic instrumentation.

"ALL THINGS THAT LIVE ONE DAY MAY MUST DIE, YOU KNOW?"
100 percent agree. I will say Honkin' and Airplane were far better live (at least when Brian was in half decent voice on the latter or not at the show).
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 02:08:48 AM by Mike Eder » Logged
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2012, 01:30:52 AM »

Its like a unconventionally attractive girl with an oddly unique personality vs a wet-dream sex-bomb tear your soul out passion orgy. I'll take the latter.

I'll take the former, haha! Both in metaphor and in actuality.
Seconded.
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2012, 03:35:12 AM »

Love You is what I'd put on before going out for the night, singing along to Mona and Johnny Carson and laughing through I Wanna Pick You Up and Solar System.

Then I'd get home, turn the lights down, get myself a drink and dig out the 2LP POB set and just listen to one man opening up to whoever is listening.

Two records for two different moods but I tend to put Love You on more than POB so my vote is for Love You
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2012, 07:00:30 PM »

Now I'm gonna preface this by saying I really like Dennis and his music a lot, but with that I gotta say that I do get a certain nauseous feeling from his "super romantic" material like "Make It Good", "Cuddle Up", "Barbara", "You and I", and a lot of Carli Munoz written material.

I read one time about how Elvis Costello called a certain type of music based on the sentiment "f*** me I'm so sensitive"'. And some of Dennis' music seemed to be more about presenting some type of super romantic sensitivity than having any kind of substantial message. It was very meandering, and only when he finally put his romantic side more into focus did it truly come together in my opinion, on cuts like "Baby Blue" and "Love Surrounds Me", which I think are commercial yet emotional.

But even before those, when truly inspired he did some great stuff. "River Song", "Tug of Love", "Steamboat", and "Pacific Ocean Blues" are all great tunes.

Oh yeah, I'll take Love You. For the reason that Brian didn't try quite so hard as Dennis.

And I don't understand the obsession with some people to make The Beach Boys "cool". They are who they are. They made more good music than nearly any other group I can think of, but still people have to make an excuse for them. Shame.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 07:10:47 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2012, 07:24:27 PM »

The Beach Boys' uncoolness is what made them cool. Same with ABBA, Carpenters, etc.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2012, 07:59:33 PM »

I love most of Dennis's songs in the period from Friends through Holland.  But I haven't been able to get into POB deeply -- though I intend to try again.   A lot of my favorite LPs have worked that way ("Pet Sounds" and "Forever Changes" to name two took years) and I've only owned POB for about a year and a half now.  But sometimes I find Dennis's overwrought vocals off-putting, and though I hear interesting things going on musically even brain-fried Brian on "Love You" has loads more hooks and I'm a hooky kind of guy.   Also, I prefer the catharsis of a "Let's Put Our Hearts Together" to Dennis just spilling it all over the place.  But again I will admit I need to give POB another shot -- it's on the docket now.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx