gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:26:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Which do you prefer?
The Beach Boys Love You - 67 (49.3%)
Pacific Ocean Blue - 69 (50.7%)
Total Voters: 125

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Twofer polls #5, part b) Love You vs Pacific Ocean Blue  (Read 35472 times)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« on: July 25, 2012, 10:42:54 AM »

Ok, so obviously not a genuine twofer, but I'm curious to know which of these killer LPs from '77 the board rates higher. I reckon this poll might be the toughest yet ...
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 03:22:27 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 10:53:05 AM »

abstaining.
pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 10:54:36 AM »

Pacific Ocean Blue. By leaps and bounds.

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 10:57:23 AM »

wat

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
BB Universe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 11:08:05 AM »

POB over Love You by the length of the (Pacific) Ocean.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 11:14:16 AM »

No contest POB by miles. An epic feast vs a home made snack. Love You is really cool, and incredibly original, not to mention completely absurd. I love it. But compared to POB it sounds like amateur hour. Its like a unconventionally attractive girl with an oddly unique personality vs a wet-dream sex-bomb tear your soul out passion orgy. I'll take the latter.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 01:04:31 PM by Jon Stebbins » Logged
MBE
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 11:15:12 AM »

Love You has a select few great moments, but one of them is from 1970 and I just don't get the appeal of most of it. POB on the other hand is an amazing piece of work that stands alone from the Beach Boys or anyone.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 11:20:51 AM »

Not a fan of Dennis' vocals post-60s (with some exceptions). By default, Love You for me.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 11:22:00 AM »

No contest POB by miles. An epic feast vs a home made snack. Love You is really cool, and incredibly original, not to mention completely absurd. I love it. But compared to POB it sounds like amateur hour. Its like a unconventionally attractive girl with a great personality vs a wet-dream sex-bomb tear your soul out passion orgy. I'll take the latter.
Awesome summary of both LPs, Jon.  3D
OGoldin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 11:32:11 AM »

The dense synthesized counterpoint of Love You is, in my book, just as innovative and engaging as the arrangements of Pet Sounds -- I can never get to the bottom of it.  POB is marked by interesting layers, on top of a band that really cooks, but musically, just doesn't compare.

The wacky vision of Love You on the whole pales in comparison to the soul-baring of POB, but, what can I say, the trilogy of "Night was so Young" "Bet He's Nice" and "Let's Put Our Hearts Together" moves me a whole lot more.  I've been there.  I've never been a Dennis Wilson.

I do love POB but I find it a touch overwrought.  Dennis is really trying for something big.  I can feel the strain.  Love You is effortlessly brilliant.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 11:34:27 AM by OGoldin » Logged
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 11:34:28 AM »

This poll is unfair, too tough! But, I must follow my heart and choose Love You... But POB is just as good.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 11:46:43 AM »

I still recall quite vividly purchasing LOVE YOU in April, 1977 and feeling like the album was makeshift and largely uninspired apart from a few shining moments. Four months later I brought POB home and immediately thought that this was the album the Beach Boys needed to make. I hoped that the whole band would deliver an album of similar quality the next time out. Little did I know that it would be the 21st century before Brian and the Beach Boys would put out something that rivaled the quality of POB.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 11:51:06 AM »

I can't put it any better than Jon Stebbins already has. Love You is a fun, eccentric treat, but POB deserves to win this one by a considerable mile (though i suspect it's going to be a close run...)
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 11:57:15 AM »

I still recall quite vividly purchasing LOVE YOU in April, 1977 and feeling like the album was makeshift and largely uninspired apart from a few shining moments. Four months later I brought POB home and immediately thought that this was the album the Beach Boys needed to make. I hoped that the whole band would deliver an album of similar quality the next time out. Little did I know that it would be the 21st century before Brian and the Beach Boys would put out something that rivaled the quality of POB.

That's Why God Made The Radio rivals the quality of POB? No, no, no. It's a nice album - half good-great, half poor-very bad - but it deserves to rank even further behind POB than Love You.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 12:02:19 PM »

The dense synthesized counterpoint of Love You is, in my book, just as innovative and engaging as the arrangements of Pet Sounds -- I can never get to the bottom of it.  POB is marked by interesting layers, on top of a band that really cooks, but musically, just doesn't compare.

The wacky vision of Love You on the whole pales in comparison to the soul-baring of POB, but, what can I say, the trilogy of "Night was so Young" "Bet He's Nice" and "Let's Put Our Hearts Together" moves me a whole lot more.  I've been there.  I've never been a Dennis Wilson.

I do love POB but I find it a touch overwrought.  Dennis is really trying for something big.  I can feel the strain.  Love You is effortlessly brilliant.

Brilliantly put. There is something endlessly compelling about the sparsity of the production on Love You. I think it really comes into its own on the second side. Solar System through to Airplane is one of the most satisfying runs for me of any BB record. You can definitely hear that this is the same guy that gave us Pet Sounds, although this is Pet Sounds via Wendy Carlos. With the exception of Good Time, I think LY hangs together much better than many other BB albums.

I love POB. I love the cohesiveness of the songs and the sheer depth of emotion and sadness that he expresses in so many of the songs. I think it's such a shame that Dennis couldn't take or didn't want more control of the direction of the group at this point as POB is a much more impressive and mature album than Love You. But Love You is more fun for me.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2012, 12:08:51 PM »

That's Why God Made The Radio rivals the quality of POB? No, no, no. It's a nice album - half good-great, half poor-very bad - but it deserves to rank even further behind POB than Love You.

Actually, I was thinking that TLOS and the Gershwin album were the ones that rivaled POB (which is why I mentioned Brian's name separate from the Beach Boys). About half of TWGMTR rivals POB (the good half, of course!). My point was that nobody in the band came close to delivering material as good as POB for thirty years (remember, LOVE YOU was released prior to POB).
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2012, 12:16:02 PM »

Actually, I was thinking that TLOS and the Gershwin album were the ones that rivaled POB (which is why I mentioned Brian's name separate from the Beach Boys). About half of TWGMTR rivals POB (the good half, of course!). My point was that nobody in the band came close to delivering material as good as POB for thirty years (remember, LOVE YOU was released prior to POB).

In that case, you're quite right (although i'd argue there's only 3 - arguably 4 - songs on TWGMTR that can seriously be said to rival any of POB).

It's been said before and i'll say it again, if Brian had delivered a song such as River Song, Moonshine or Thoughts of You in '76, we'd all be endlessly discussing how staggeringly amazing it was! There is an undeniable tendency amongst many BB fans to slavishly praise anything and everything by Brian, regardless of quality, and to under-play the contributions of the other band members.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2012, 12:30:33 PM »

What's the best track on POB?
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2012, 12:49:20 PM »

River Song.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2012, 01:13:39 PM »

River Song.

Truer words were never spoken.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2012, 01:41:16 PM »

I think it's "You and I."

Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2012, 06:24:41 PM »

I prefer Love You.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2012, 06:35:46 PM »

Pacific Ocean Blue. By leaps and bounds.
POB should not, by any means, be associated with the likes of Love You. It is an insult to a great album and DW.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2012, 08:32:16 PM »

My obsession with the Beach Boys was kicked into high gear by POB. Love You nearly killed it. I want POB to be the last thing I ever listen to before I die. I will probably never listen to Love You start to finish ever again.

I voted for Pacific Ocean Blue.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2012, 08:37:28 PM »

I don't understand how one can be a Beach Boys fan and dislike Love You?  I didn't even realize there were people on this forum didn't like it until today.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx