gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:45:00 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Which do you prefer?
The Beach Boys Today! - 77 (74%)
Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!) - 27 (26%)
Total Voters: 94

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Twofer polls #8: Today! vs Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!)  (Read 70595 times)
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: August 05, 2012, 05:08:35 PM »

There are tons of their songs I dislike, some of them big fan favorites such as the utterly dreadful All This Is That, Funky Pretty, Then I Kissed Her and At My Window. 

D00d!  Al's vocal on Then I Kissed her is one of his best IMO, and BDW agrees  Wink

Surprised you're not a fan of that one.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 05, 2012, 05:21:41 PM »

There are tons of their songs I dislike, some of them big fan favorites such as the utterly dreadful All This Is That, Funky Pretty, Then I Kissed Her and At My Window.  

D00d!  Al's vocal on Then I Kissed her is one of his best IMO, and BDW agrees  Wink

Surprised you're not a fan of that one.

I'm surprised too! What it is I dislike is the needless change in the title/chorus from Me to Her, so that the male of the song could be the "dominant" figure taking the action (KISS covered it as Then She Kissed Me and it came off just fine). Besides that, I just don't think it was a good idea to change from a soaring "eeeeeeeee" sound, which Al could have really nailed, to a West Coast doofus-sounding "urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr". I also don't think the scaled-down note-for-note arrangement befitted a Brian production. Carl seems really dubious about doing the song at the session, as well, IIRC. But, I don't skip the song when it comes on, and I respect that I'm in the minority regarding it.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 05:22:49 PM by I. Spaceman » Logged

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 05, 2012, 05:36:07 PM »

Just listened to the first disk of the 1993 box set and the Beach Boys music from 1962-1965 is americana at its finest. Like the Band captured the americana of rural america, the BBs showed the glory and cultural richness of america at mid century and at the peak of the post war boom.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 05:42:36 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 05, 2012, 06:08:47 PM »

I think you're a cretin

No, I'm great. You're a nobody, and you determine nothing, you'll pass from this world without accomplishing anything significant, because you waste your time jabbering on a message board about a band you have no real understanding of. Start with the man in the mirror before you criticise anyone else next time. All you've done here is polish my car.
Today, great album, slightly better than Summer Days, also a great album.

I'm sorry, but I just must jump in, albeit politely, here.  Why must you be so boastful, and so abrasive?  I'm  not going to call you names, but you going around calling people trash and telling them that they're nobody in life is a perfect, definitive example of (yes, I'm going to say it) internet bullying. Now, I'm not going to say that buddhahat is suicidal and genuinely depressed over what you called him, but please, for the good of others, can you watch what you say before you say it?  Such glaringly offensive and hurtful remarks might really affect someone on a personal level, even if its on some Beach Boys message board.  Call me what you like, say I'm some sort of  new guy who doesn't understand or who doesn't have thick enough skin, but I think it would be best, for people other than yourself, if you didn't say how great you are, and that other people are "nobody"s and will accomplish nothing in life.  

Anywhoo  Roll Eyes

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 05, 2012, 06:42:56 PM »

I think you're a cretin

No, I'm great. You're a nobody, and you determine nothing, you'll pass from this world without accomplishing anything significant, because you waste your time jabbering on a message board about a band you have no real understanding of. Start with the man in the mirror before you criticise anyone else next time. All you've done here is polish my car.

I'm sorry, but I just must jump in, albeit politely, here.  Why must you be so boastful, and so abrasive?  I'm  not going to call you names, but you going around calling people trash and telling them that they're nobody in life is a perfect, definitive example of (yes, I'm going to say it) internet bullying. Now, I'm not going to say that buddhahat is suicidal and genuinely depressed over what you called him, but please, for the good of others, can you watch what you say before you say it?  Such glaringly offensive and hurtful remarks might really affect someone on a personal level, even if its on some Beach Boys message board.  Call me what you like, say I'm some sort of  new guy who doesn't understand or who doesn't have thick enough skin, but I think it would be best, for people other than yourself, if you didn't say how great you are, and that other people are "nobody"s and will accomplish nothing in life.  

Anywhoo  Roll Eyes

Seconded.  That kind of stuff is certainly uncalled for, and I think it's a real failing of the mods not to step in.  The vast majority of us aren't going to be hurt by Internet insults, but a few will be.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 05, 2012, 06:48:51 PM »

When someone says this to me without provocation, not responding to a direct insult on my part:

Yeah, it is frustrating, isn't it?

What, that people here don't just blindly agree with your whacked out opinions? Fella, you have your own board for that.

They deserve whatever they get back from me, period. And more. Everything I said was the censored version of what I really wanted to say. He called out the wrong guy. I don't hail from wimpsville. If you want to be righteous, call Buddhahat out for being personally insulting, out of the blue. That was wrong. Period.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 05, 2012, 06:51:13 PM »

I think you're a cretin

Anywhoo  Roll Eyes

Seconded.  That kind of stuff is certainly uncalled for, and I think it's a real failing of the mods not to step in.  The vast majority of us aren't going to be hurt by Internet insults, but a few will be.

You saying that I had said, repeatedly, that every Beach Boys song was great and that anyone who didn't agree wasn't a Beach Boys fan was uncalled for. Also ignorant.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 05, 2012, 11:15:42 PM »

He called out the wrong guy.

Hardly - you're the gift that keeps on giving.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: August 05, 2012, 11:36:36 PM »

You're both wrong!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 06, 2012, 07:03:43 AM »

He called out the wrong guy.

Hardly - you're the gift that keeps on giving.

More than you know, Ben.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 07:24:36 AM by I. Spaceman » Logged

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: August 06, 2012, 01:25:12 PM »

That kind of stuff is certainly uncalled for, and I think it's a real failing of the mods not to step in.

You're right. I missed this as I was at a wake yesterday and a funeral today, and I honestly didn't expect this nonsense to be the first thing I'd read. Life's too short for this kind of garbage.

One more outburst like this gets a ban. This is some repugnant junior high school fuckery, and I'm quite tired of it.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 01:26:39 PM by Billy C » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: August 06, 2012, 01:35:25 PM »

Back to the point of the discussion...I actually prefer SDSN to Today. The best tracks on Today are superior to the best tracks on SDSN (minus 'Let Him Run Wild', which to me is one of the best, if not THE best, cut the band did prior to Pet Sounds), but I'm not a fan of 'In the Back of My Mind' vocally, and the talk track sucks. Plus, 'Don't Hurt My Little Sister' happens to be my least favorite BB song ever. I know a lot of people like it. but I hate it. Just my opinion.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 06, 2012, 04:08:00 PM »

The fact that Amusement Parks USA has never graced any of the 10001 compilations the band has put out, or can hardly be considered a staple of their live shows, must show that the band don't exactly rate it in their upper echelon of songs.

"Cabin Essence" has never been played live and never appeared on a compilation. What a flaming pile of shit imo.

Well, Cabinessence is on the GV box so not strictly true.

Exactly. Whilst Amusements Parks USA isn't. Also Brian has played Cabinessance live in his solo shows.

You get my point, though. There were plenty of gems that the band have totally ignored as far as compilation and setlist appearances. The band choosing to exclude a song from things really doesn't hold any water.

"Cabin Essence" was mostly if not exclusively played during Smile sets, though, which doesn't really count. Nor does inclusion on a huge, career spanning box set as part of a series of Smile recordings, either. imo.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 06, 2012, 10:51:40 PM »

Point taken.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #164 on: February 08, 2014, 02:07:55 AM »

Gotta be Today!

Summer Days is quite good too, but compared to Today! it just falls short.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: February 08, 2014, 02:19:47 AM »

Brace yourselves, the "twofer poll" threads resurrection is coming!  
bluesno1fann
« Reply #166 on: February 08, 2014, 02:32:52 AM »

Just spreading the twofer polls to a whole new generation of members!  Cheesy LOL

Though I noticed that Surfin' Safari, Surfin' USA, Still Cruisin', Summer In Paradise, and TWGMTR was never done.
Maybe Buddhahat would consider doing them now!
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 08, 2014, 08:57:56 PM »

listening to the cd in the car today I found myself listening to the "Today!" tracks more so yea "Today!" is definitely one of my favorites  Cheesy

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 09, 2014, 12:48:49 AM »

Just spreading the twofer polls to a whole new generation of members!  Cheesy LOL

Though I noticed that Surfin' Safari, Surfin' USA, Still Cruisin', Summer In Paradise, and TWGMTR was never done.

Haha! Why not? Give me a day or so and I'll start them up again for those final few, although where there weren't true twofers to poll I did use a bit of artistic license with the couplings folks so might have to throw some BW solo efforts in there too somewhere.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
bluesno1fann
« Reply #169 on: February 09, 2014, 12:55:23 AM »

Haha! Why not? Give me a day or so and I'll start them up again for those final few, although where there weren't true twofers to poll I did use a bit of artistic license with the couplings folks so might have to throw some BW solo efforts in there too somewhere.

That's great news! I'm assuming you're going to have to pair up TWGMTR to a solo album, most likely a Brian solo album?
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 09, 2014, 02:47:00 AM »

That's great news! I'm assuming you're going to have to pair up TWGMTR to a solo album, most likely a Brian solo album?

Yeah I think so. Most likely That Lucky Old Sun? I mean the Gershwin and Disney albums are nearer in release date but the most recent 'beloved' BW solo album I'd argue was That Lucky Old Sun what with Midnight's Another Day an' all so maybe will make for a fairer fight!

bluesno1fann
« Reply #171 on: February 09, 2014, 02:58:52 AM »

Yeah I think so. Most likely That Lucky Old Sun? I mean the Gershwin and Disney albums are nearer in release date but the most recent 'beloved' BW solo album I'd argue was That Lucky Old Sun what with Midnight's Another Day an' all so maybe will make for a fairer fight!

I thought the Gershwin album is considered 'beloved'. But I guess it seems more appropriate in pairing up the Gershwin album and the Disney album because they're both cover albums and made under Walt Disney Records
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 09, 2014, 07:37:35 AM »

I thought the Gershwin album is considered 'beloved'.

Yes it probably is. When it came out I think I enjoyed it more than TLOS actually but I guess as the latter is largely BW originals it would be a better companion to TWGMTR. Shame he can't just hurry up and release the new one - I've heard it's going to be better than Pet Sounds & Smile!

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 02, 2014, 04:44:14 AM »

In my usual annoying fashion I'll give Summer Days my vote as it's lagging behind. Actually I've been revisiting it recently. Like 20/20 it's a patchwork quilt of an album but IMO holds together better. In the words of the late Paul Williams, lotsa good stuff.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: October 12, 2015, 11:40:25 PM »

Summer Days is a slap dash effort compared to Today's refined brilliance. Today and Pet Sounds are Brian's best completed works. Summer Days is the awkward valley overshadowed by two peaks.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx