gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:51:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The 10 Coolest Summer Albums of All Time - Rolling Stone - Wild Honey #2  (Read 6232 times)
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2012, 02:37:25 PM »

I'm pretty certain this hasn't been posted before, the search function didn't bring up any results.  I thought this was pretty interesting, and was fairly surprised to find Wild Honey, of all the Beach Boys' albums, on this list.  Enjoy!

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/the-10-coolest-summer-albums-of-all-time-20120718/the-beach-boys-wild-honey-1967-19691231

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 02:41:42 PM »

Strange list but it's always cool seeing one of the BB's best getting some props

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 02:49:46 PM »

I don't get a summer vibe or feeling at all from Wild Honey. Wierd. Maybe that's just me - I get a' stoned-white-boys-wanting-to-make-an-R&B-album' feeling throughout the entire album.

I would fully support Today! or All Summer Long in this position, though.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 02:54:19 PM »

Wild Honey reminds me of autumn more than anything. Country Air just has a Fall vibe to me.

But yeah, it's nice to see them getting well deserved attention.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 03:15:19 PM »

Wild Honey definitely is a summer album to me. And a great one at that.
Weird choice (of all choices BBs album-wise) for such a list though. But one way or another - Wild Honey sure deserves more attention from the general public. A properly remixed reissue might just do the trick...

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 03:54:17 PM »

Thanks for posting the link.  Very cool to see Wild Honey at #2.
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 03:59:42 PM »

Odd choice indeed. It doesn't feel summery at all to me.  And, I don't rate it as one of the Beach Boy's top-10 albums.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
WWDWD?
Smiley Smile Associate

What would Dennis Wilson do?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 05:43:19 PM »

So very cool to see this! I feel like this album never gets a mention anywhere (outside of places like this). #2 Coolest Summer Album. Wow!
Man I want to hear it in stereo.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 05:54:19 PM »

It took me awhile to "warm up" to Wild Honey, but I now consider it to be just under the "top five" (PS, Sunflower, Today, SD/SN, 20/20). It seems like the writer/reviewer is indulging in what we might call "counterintuitivity"  (sp? more to the point, is it even a word??) but whatever the motive for mentioning it, it's nice to see it appreciated.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 06:38:22 PM »

Just what the doctor ordered-a list of what albums sound good in each season-What will sound good in fall, winter and spring? Glad to see they're thinking about the boys, but WH, among many of their others, is an album for all seasons.
SIP.FLAC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 07:22:53 PM »

Winter is Smiley Smile or Surfs Up.

Youre not allowed to have a picture in your signature so imagine this : Tony Montana shooting a machine gun (his little friend), but the face is actually Mike Love haha.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2012, 08:21:59 PM »

weird, as this album was originally released in December. 'Friends' came the following summer ...

I tend to play it most during spring time.

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2012, 10:41:56 PM »

For me...

Smiley/Smile = Winter
Love You = Spring
Friends = Summer
Pet Sounds = Fall

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2012, 11:14:09 PM »

Friends = spring
Summer Days = summer
Wild Honey = late summer/early fall
Sunflower = early fall
Surf's Up = late fall/winter
Smiley Smile = winter

Love You + Holland = all seasons
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2012, 11:55:44 PM »

Is Wild Honey a summer album?? As has been said here, it feels more autumn-y (good word!) to me (still at least they didn't pick Holland, which is the most autumn-y feeling of all BB albums...).
I guess Rolling Stone just don't consider genuine summer albums like ASL and SDASN 'cool' enough to make the list, which is a bit sad (not unhappy-sad, just parents-dancing-in-front-of-their-kids-sad).
Nevertheless, it's great to see the Beach Boys in such a high placing and Wild Honey in particular, which really is a superb album. In the ongoing 'Smiley Smile vs Wild Honey' debate it's comes in for some stick from some board members which left me frankly baffled - it's ten white-hot BB songs (plus a great SMiLE snippet) brilliantly sung and tightly played throughout, all in the space of 24 excstatic minutes. What on earth is there not to love about that?
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2012, 04:10:40 AM »

I definitely get the summer vibe from this album. That weird buzzing sound from the organ just sounds like bees making honey to me.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 08:19:42 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Youre Under Arrest
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2012, 06:04:26 AM »

Why on earth is Sgt. Peppers on there?! Goes to show that every list Rolling Stones makes MUST have the Beatles plastered on it. Christ.

"My name is Brian and I'm the man, I write hit songs with the wave of my hand" - Brian Wilson

Not only was Brian a musical genius, but he was a real cool head, making real good bread.
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2012, 08:08:22 AM »

Summer - All Summer Long, duh Smiley
Fall        - Smile/Smiley Smile
Winter   - Surf's Up/So tough/Holland
Spring   - Sunflower

All year - Pet Sounds, Love You, Today

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2012, 08:27:21 AM »

Should have went with Sunflower, or Friends.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2012, 09:02:37 AM »

We're arguing opinions here anyway, but damn that just doesn't feel right at all to me. On the surface it would seem to suggest whoever compiled that list is trying to be the hipster championing the underdog, forgotten or ignored entry because to pick an obvious, universally accepted candidate would reduce their image as having a superior musical taste and knowledge. If I want that, there are plenty of mags and forums where championing the underdog or the unexpected is of utmost importance to maintain the cred.

Having said that...I never heard Wild Honey as a summer album. It sounds like a confined studio sound to me. The Beach Boys...c'mon, how about "All Summer Long", "Shut Down vol.2", "Summer Days..."? These albums almost elevated the notion of what the Beach Boys were celebrating in their music from the simple ideas of "surfing" "cars" and "girls" to a celebration of summer as a state of mind, as an ideal above and beyond the activities being described in the music. And the music just *sounds* like a young person's summer mindset in those cases enough to further elevate it beyond saying "let's go surfin". Timeless, universal music.

Wild Honey is great, but not on that level where "summer" is a musical sound creating a state of mind you can conjure up any time you listen.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 09:19:25 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2012, 09:33:04 AM »

It's probably my favorite Beach Boys album and I'm happy that it gets attention outside of the fan world. I don't think there's anything summery about it but then I don't think of the Beach Boys as summer music. Wild Honey is a nice little R'n'B/Rock'n'Roll album with Brian and Mike's best collaborations stretched over a whole album

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2012, 10:37:01 AM »

Why on earth is Sgt. Peppers on there?! Goes to show that every list Rolling Stones makes MUST have the Beatles plastered on it. Christ.

I hear ya

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2012, 10:50:04 AM »

Let the moon glow, on the fallen snow...

My, my how summery.

Wild Honey is a very cool album, glad to see it getting mainstream press, but this is a pretty strange choice.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2012, 11:17:52 AM »

The reason why Sgt. Pepper is there is simply because it was released at the beginning of the summer in 1967 - not planned to be a heralded beginning to the "Summer Of Love" which was called that by the press well after the fact and out of convenience, but rather another case of a group like the Beatles having better timing in history than some of their peers. Again, through no grand scheme or plan, but it just worked out that way.

Take a look at summer 1967, and whether or not we agree about it the Pepper album was a constant presence and influence, and easily the most-talked-about release that summer and into the rest of that year. Something like that gets burned into the collective memory as being associated with "the summer" if it was coming out of radios and record players everywhere you turned in summer '67. And even with the lack of a "hit single", AM top 40 stations had the album cuts from Pepper in steady rotation, which was slightly unusual for that singles format.

More to do with timing and history than a perceived pro-Beatles bias, IMO.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Youre Under Arrest
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2012, 11:16:16 PM »

The reason why Sgt. Pepper is there is simply because it was released at the beginning of the summer in 1967 - not planned to be a heralded beginning to the "Summer Of Love" which was called that by the press well after the fact and out of convenience, but rather another case of a group like the Beatles having better timing in history than some of their peers. Again, through no grand scheme or plan, but it just worked out that way.

Take a look at summer 1967, and whether or not we agree about it the Pepper album was a constant presence and influence, and easily the most-talked-about release that summer and into the rest of that year. Something like that gets burned into the collective memory as being associated with "the summer" if it was coming out of radios and record players everywhere you turned in summer '67. And even with the lack of a "hit single", AM top 40 stations had the album cuts from Pepper in steady rotation, which was slightly unusual for that singles format.

More to do with timing and history than a perceived pro-Beatles bias, IMO.

Very, very true and I think I agree with your view that it was it's release that made it a "summer" album. But quite frankly, that's the worst reason to label it a summer album. It's like releasing an album called "Winter Hits, OR How I Like To Stay Cold" during 86 degree weather.

"My name is Brian and I'm the man, I write hit songs with the wave of my hand" - Brian Wilson

Not only was Brian a musical genius, but he was a real cool head, making real good bread.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx