gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:13:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 55: Ippodromo del Galoppo, Milan -Note, NOT Arena Civica as listed 27/07/12  (Read 21877 times)
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2012, 08:24:50 AM »

Second Italian show. I'll be there, down the front.
Note that, as in subject header, this venue has changed from the Arena Civica to the Ippodromo del Galoppo, at least according to ticketone.it .
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 12:30:04 PM by AndrewHickey » Logged

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 12:02:34 PM »

Yes the location has changed.

I'll be there!

STE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 12:18:39 PM »

Andrew, can you add the date to the title? For future reference, you know.

STE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 02:41:36 PM »

Thank you Andrew!

And I like how you used  the "proper" date format!  Wink

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 02:45:57 PM »

Thank you Andrew!

And I like how you used  the "proper" date format!  Wink

This is the European tour, not the American one, after all Wink

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 10:34:02 AM »

Do it again, California Girls, Darlin', Good Timing, California Dreaming, Kiss Me Baby and She's Got Rhythm were heard at the sound check.

Nah, just kidding about She's Got Rhythm!!

Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 11:46:47 AM »

Do it again, California Girls, Darlin', Good Timing, California Dreaming, Kiss Me Baby and She's Got Rhythm were heard at the sound check.

Nah, just kidding about She's Got Rhythm!!

You can't keep doing that!

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 11:52:52 AM »

Sorry!  Grin

But looks like This Whole World will be back tonight!

mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 12:21:07 AM »

If the setlists up on setlist dot com is accurate, they are still doing 45 songs, no intermission, and pretty much the same setlist that they did in Barcelona and Rome...  hope they shake things up as they move north.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 01:04:03 AM »

I will post the set list as soon as I have a chance.
However it was 47 songs with no intermission.
Not huge changes from previous European lists but some nice changes (e.g. This Whole World)

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 03:44:07 AM »

some nice changes (e.g. This Whole World)

Yeah ! That's a start !!

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 06:19:02 AM »

VERY brief notes, as I've only just got in, and didn't sleep last night. This is actually a hazy recollection of both Italian gigs, I'll do proper posts on them both later.

No video screens, and no mention of Carl or Dennis at all. No Nick, still.
Brian was VERY on, on the first night, but not at all on the second. The rest of the band were much better the second night though (in Rome Mike had been more nasal than usual, Dave's solos hadn't been great, and various band members fluffed cues on You're So Good To Me, Then I Kissed Her and California Dreaming). The second night they sounded absolutely astounding.
We could hear the soundcheck for the Milan show while waiting in the queue to get in. It was as STE said.
For me, it was a couple of days of coincidences -- I got out of the taxi to my hotel to find someone standing outside saying "You must be Andrew" -- it turned out STE was staying in the same hotel in Rome, and recognised me from my self-description. And in the queue for Milan I bumped into the lead singer of the Sunny Boys, who is, as far as I know, the only other person I know in Italy.
But the biggest coincidence of all was when I was getting on the train from Rome to Milan, and saw Bruce and Darian getting on the same train. I managed to get to speak briefly to them, plus Mike, Al and (VERY briefly) Scott T and Probyn, as they got on the train. Bruce was as you'd expect -- polite but brusque (said "thanks for coming" and walked straight off). Mike was more friendly but still got away quickly (I didn't try to keep them from their business), but Al was absolutely lovely, and spoke to me for a couple of minutes about his solo album and stuff (nothing deep or revelatory or anything, just seemed happy to be told I liked it), and then at the gig he recognised me, waved to me a few times, and threw me his plectrum at the end.

Probably the single biggest revelation -- Al plays guitar with a plectrum with the 50th logo on one side, and JOHN STAMOS written on the other!

At Milan it was Probyn's 50th birthday, so I held up a "Happy birthday Probyn" banner. Hppe I didn't come across stalkerish -- he'd just mentioned it on Facebook the day before I left.

Setlists for the two shows were almost the same, although Cottonfields and California swapped places in the set and This Whole World and Betsy were added to the Milan show.

More later.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2012, 06:30:03 AM »

Probably the single biggest revelation -- Al plays guitar with a plectrum with the 50th logo on one side, and JOHN STAMOS written on the other!

To get Jardine in the band after throwing Stamos out was a good decision  Cheesy

Thanks for your report !

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2012, 06:32:38 AM »

Probably the single biggest revelation -- Al plays guitar with a plectrum with the 50th logo on one side, and JOHN STAMOS written on the other.

Photographic proof?  3D
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2012, 06:40:22 AM »

Probably the single biggest revelation -- Al plays guitar with a plectrum with the 50th logo on one side, and JOHN STAMOS written on the other.

Photographic proof?  3D

I have the plectrum, but unfortunately don't have a camera I know how to work (my wife's away and she does all the photography). I swear it's true though. I'll see if I can figure out the camera after I collapse to sleep...

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2012, 08:56:14 AM »

If they already had plecs for him I don't want to imagine how close a Stamos tour actually was going to happen. Thank God it didn't turn out that way

- Jack Rieley
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2012, 10:34:35 AM »

VERY brief notes, as I've only just got in, and didn't sleep last night. This is actually a hazy recollection of both Italian gigs, I'll do proper posts on them both later.

No video screens, and no mention of Carl or Dennis at all. No Nick, still.
Brian was VERY on, on the first night, but not at all on the second. The rest of the band were much better the second night though (in Rome Mike had been more nasal than usual, Dave's solos hadn't been great, and various band members fluffed cues on You're So Good To Me, Then I Kissed Her and California Dreaming). The second night they sounded absolutely astounding.
We could hear the soundcheck for the Milan show while waiting in the queue to get in. It was as STE said.
For me, it was a couple of days of coincidences -- I got out of the taxi to my hotel to find someone standing outside saying "You must be Andrew" -- it turned out STE was staying in the same hotel in Rome, and recognised me from my self-description. And in the queue for Milan I bumped into the lead singer of the Sunny Boys, who is, as far as I know, the only other person I know in Italy.
But the biggest coincidence of all was when I was getting on the train from Rome to Milan, and saw Bruce and Darian getting on the same train. I managed to get to speak briefly to them, plus Mike, Al and (VERY briefly) Scott T and Probyn, as they got on the train. Bruce was as you'd expect -- polite but brusque (said "thanks for coming" and walked straight off). Mike was more friendly but still got away quickly (I didn't try to keep them from their business), but Al was absolutely lovely, and spoke to me for a couple of minutes about his solo album and stuff (nothing deep or revelatory or anything, just seemed happy to be told I liked it), and then at the gig he recognised me, waved to me a few times, and threw me his plectrum at the end.

At Milan it was Probyn's 50th birthday, so I held up a "Happy birthday Probyn" banner. Hppe I didn't come across stalkerish -- he'd just mentioned it on Facebook the day before I left.

Setlists for the two shows were almost the same, although Cottonfields and California swapped places in the set and This Whole World and Betsy were added to the Milan show.

More later.

We had some coinidences in our travel too.

See my post:
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,13858.msg305112.html#msg305112

Cipresso
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2012, 02:20:43 PM »

What a great show!
Though we sang and danced and went wild (as most of the very hot crowd did, I'll post some fragments later) I just HAD TO record this classic gem from L.A.
Ciao, CIPRESSO

Here's GOOD TIMIN':

http://youtu.be/g1YV40XRNZo
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 02:22:19 PM by Cipresso » Logged
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2012, 02:33:14 AM »

From Probyn, a comment on my facebook status:

"note-- we all use plectra with whoever's name is on it, and are handy--I generally play a gig with either mine or scott totten's since he is located near me and sometimes his picks end up near my area."

Cipresso
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2012, 06:44:42 AM »

Couple more:

All Summer Long (part)

http://youtu.be/OY_My4RCLkE

California Saga: California (part)

http://youtu.be/ZTWKT4t7OdU

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2012, 07:03:08 AM »

What a great show!
Though we sang and danced and went wild (as most of the very hot crowd did, I'll post some fragments later) I just HAD TO record this classic gem from L.A.
Ciao, CIPRESSO

Here's GOOD TIMIN':

http://youtu.be/g1YV40XRNZo

Brian singing "Good Timin'" on stage with the Beach Boys... pinch me....  Shocked This 50th celebration is a dream come true.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 07:57:27 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2012, 07:48:44 AM »

From Probyn, a comment on my facebook status:

"note-- we all use plectra with whoever's name is on it, and are handy--I generally play a gig with either mine or scott totten's since he is located near me and sometimes his picks end up near my area."

Still interesting that John Stamos has his own plecs for this tour...

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2012, 08:20:45 AM »

Source with much more pictures: http://freeimagefinder.com/pic/beach%20boys.html
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 08:36:47 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2012, 11:14:21 AM »

Couple more:

All Summer Long (part)

http://youtu.be/OY_My4RCLkE

California Saga: California (part)

http://youtu.be/ZTWKT4t7OdU

I swear, "California Saga" sounds better and better each time they play it.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2012, 11:27:36 AM »

Facebook:

At the airport

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx