gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:50:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 54: Ippodromo delle Capannelle, Rome 26th July 2012  (Read 39158 times)
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2012, 08:19:35 AM »

First of two Italian shows. I'll be there, the fat bearded bloke who looks a little like Carl if Carl were balding and wore glasses, in the front row Wink
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 12:28:15 PM by AndrewHickey » Logged

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 12:01:56 PM »

Finally it's my turn to say: I'll be there!!

I'll be the bloke in the front row that looks like Dennis at his peak but much much more good looking!    Grin

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 04:13:31 AM »

Given that this show starts at 9:45 and I think there's a curfew on the venue at midnight, and that last night's show seems to have been a shorter one (no video screens or interval, judging from the videos), we're probably going to get one of the shorter sets for this show.

Still hoping for a longer set in Milan, though -- that show starts at 9 rather than 9:45. Either way I'll be OK though -- I'm sure the Wembley show will be a long one, so my plan is to be up front at these shows even if they're shorter, and then be in my seat slightly further back for the longer show.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 12:17:49 PM »

Not sure about the curfew, where did you read about it?
Since the venue is pretty much a field and we will be standing it looks like we are getting a "superficial" setlist and no video screens.
Also Italian fans are not known for appreciating the deeper stuff so I can't blame them for a basic setlist.

Andrew, can you add the date to the title? For future reference, you know.

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 12:29:10 PM »

Not sure about the curfew, where did you read about it?
Since the venue is pretty much a field and we will be standing it looks like we are getting a "superficial" setlist and no video screens.
Also Italian fans are not known for appreciating the deeper stuff so I can't blame them for a basic setlist.
Andrew, can you add the date to the title? For future reference, you know.

Read about the curfew on a few message boards with people discussing other gigs they'd been to there.

Jacopo88
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 01:59:57 AM »

Hello, I'm Jacopo from Rome and this is my first post over here, I'm so excited to be in this community of expert BB fans.

About the concert. I'm so looking forward to attending this concert since it has been announced.
The Rock In Roma concerts have been starting at 21.45 since the beginning of this serie of concerts, seven or more years ago, basically because the venue is easier to reach without traffic and because by that time, the sun is over and with the dark the concert is more enjoable.
I've attended different concerts at that venue for 4/5 years and as far as I know, there's NO curfew. For example, on July 9th The Cure started after 10PM and they rocked the audience for more than 3 hours. This is not a festival, with a daily line-up: I think that the Beach Boys are not scheduled to have a support act (instead, The Cure long support act started at 5PM).

About the screens: Capannelle has a huge stage and some artists bring their own scenery with screens and lights, other artist just use the basic scenery. So, the Boys decide..

I'm pretty sure that is only up to the Boys to decide to treat us with the full setlist or not. I'm hoping we can get the 40+ songs setlist: even if the US audience is more expert about the back catalogue of the BB, here in Italy there's a bunch of fans that are thrilled about the chance of a lifetime: hearing and watching their idols. And we would appreciate every song the Boys are willing to play.

So, let's wait and hope. I'll be glad to meet everyone from this board that is coming to Rome!
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 02:39:01 AM »

I've attended different concerts at that venue for 4/5 years and as far as I know, there's NO curfew. For example, on July 9th The Cure started after 10PM and they rocked the audience for more than 3 hours. This is not a festival, with a daily line-up: I think that the Beach Boys are not scheduled to have a support act (instead, The Cure long support act started at 5PM).

Glad to hear it -- the Cure messageboard was one of the places I saw people talking about a curfew, so I'm glad to hear that that was mistaken.

Gee
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 02:46:36 AM »

First of two Italian shows. I'll be there, the fat bearded bloke who looks a little like Carl if Carl were balding and wore glasses, in the front row Wink

How do you know you will be in front row? There are no numbered seats -No seats at all, actually-... Will you just come early to wait at the doorway of Capannelle?

Anyway, this is my first post here, although i've been reading this board as long as the 50th Celebration tour started, keeping updated with the setlists etcetera...

My name is Walter, i'm a huge italian Beach Boys fan -Music fan, actually- and i live in Milan, but unfortunately i cannot attend the Milan concert of Friday night.... I couldn't miss the opportunity to see all the Boys live, anyway, so i'll be travelling by train to Rome the day before just to see them, and then immediately come back. Quite a drag, i know.

I'm impatient to see what the guys will play.... Still hoping the'll do Break Away, it is a super-favourite of mine. I know it will remain just a dream, but one have to remember that the songs of that period -Late 60s- went very well here in Europe, so maybe they'll think about it...
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 03:38:43 AM »

LOL That's a tad deflating; based on your writing I'd pictured you as a buff, chisel jawed 6 ft'r with a grey flecked mane and a piercing blue eyed gaze, lounging around behind the scenes - much like the other writers on the board!

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 03:57:15 AM »

How do you know you will be in front row? There are no numbered seats -No seats at all, actually-... Will you just come early to wait at the doorway of Capannelle?

Yeah, that's the plan -- get to the stadium early, and just get to the front. I'm also good at getting to the front of crowds at stadium gigs, so don't see it being a problem.

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 03:59:27 AM »

LOL That's a tad deflating; based on your writing I'd pictured you as a buff, chisel jawed 6 ft'r with a grey flecked mane and a piercing blue eyed gaze, lounging around behind the scenes - much like the other writers on the board!

Ha! Well, I do have the piercing blue-eyed gaze, if that's any help. But I'm more an almost-exactly-average-height fat bloke with greying brown hair cut short because of a large bald spot and an enormous beard. Sorry to disappoint Wink

Gee
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 04:57:54 AM »

Well, and i'll be the young moptop with moustache, in case..
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 02:42:41 PM »

WARNING: the following post might contain Italian language. Reader discretion advised.

-----------------

Jacopo e Walter, che piacere trovare altri fan italiani!
Pensavo fossi l'unico da queste parti!
Ci si becca nelle prime file allora.  Io saṛ quello che cerca di registrare qualche video di nascosto con il telefono..  Wink

Gee
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 05:44:06 PM »

Spero davvero di essere nelle prime file... Ci terrei a stringere la mano ad Al.

(In english) I'm strongly wishing to get to front row... I would really like to high-five Al!
Jacopo88
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 02:13:35 AM »

Spero davvero di essere nelle prime file... Ci terrei a stringere la mano ad Al.

(In english) I'm strongly wishing to get to front row... I would really like to high-five Al!

If you have a backstage pass, you may shake your hands with Al, even from the first row that won't be possible, since the management has put a big gap between the stage and the crowd (maybe they regard us as dangerous). In fact the front man of the Doors (they played a wonderful show on July 10th) complained a lot for being too distant from the fans!

Beside this, I'm glad that Spain got the full setlist, even with some of the best songs dropped. I had fear that in Europe the Boys would have played the shorter set they played in New Orleans and Bonnaroo.

At least, I hope they'll make an intermission, so they can rest. And I hope some of the songs dropped will be in the set again!
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2012, 10:42:39 AM »

Waiting on the first row... Still a long way to go.   Anyone else here?

Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 10:45:49 AM »

Waiting on the first row... Still a long way to go.   Anyone else here?

I'm not there, but congrats on the first row  Grin I love living vicariously through people's comments before, during, and after the shows from these threads.  Let us know if you see or hear anything exciting!

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2012, 10:53:44 AM »

So far they played Do It Again, Surfer Girl, Kiss Me Baby, Good Vibrations, California Girls and Solar System at the sound check.

Yeah, just kidding about Solar System!
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2012, 11:04:08 AM »

So far they played Do It Again, Surfer Girl, Kiss Me Baby, Good Vibrations, California Girls and Solar System at the sound check.

My eyes nearly popped out of my head when I read that.
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2012, 01:50:21 PM »

My eyes nearly popped out of my head when I read that.

Same here!  Wall

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2012, 02:14:35 PM »

Little video here...

Rome loves the surf guitar

http://yfrog.com/ma6wnczuqlymrlrabvgjxrlnz

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2012, 04:38:20 PM »

Ok, just came back to the hotel.
No brand new songs, but the return of California.
Will post full set list and comments later on.

On my way to Milan in 4 hours!

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2012, 04:14:15 AM »

Source: http://www.demotix.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/a_scale_large/1300-8/photos/1357408.jpg

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2012, 07:25:15 AM »

Were the Carl and Dennis tributes reinstated?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2012, 08:52:25 AM »

Were the Carl and Dennis tributes reinstated?

I wasn't there so I don't know for sure. But this was at a festival afaik so I don't think there were any tributes

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx