gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:42:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 54: Ippodromo delle Capannelle, Rome 26th July 2012  (Read 39156 times)
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2012, 08:54:23 AM »

If the screen isn't there---there's no tribute.  I don't think they'd do the tribute with just the vocal going over the PA and no accompanying video of Dennis or Carl singing the song.  It's not the same effect and probably a little weird if they did it that way.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2012, 10:32:12 AM »

No, no screens and no tribute, and will be the same for the rest of the European tour.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2012, 10:34:33 AM »

No, no screens and no tribute, and will be the same for the rest of the European tour.

Really ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2012, 11:31:50 AM »

I find that slightly depressing.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2012, 11:42:45 AM »

That stage looked really cool, the lights looked great!  Those pictures are really great too, the band looks terrific!

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2012, 11:52:29 AM »

That stage looked really cool, the lights looked great!  Those pictures are really great too, the band looks terrific!

Agreed, but the Carl/Dennis tributes were emotional and musical highlights that will be sorely missed. Any theories as to why that part of the show will not be translated to the European leg of the tour? Money? Logistics?
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2012, 12:00:56 PM »

Bruce posted on the BBB not too long ago that the smaller venues made it difficult to set up the video screens and therefore, the tributes had to be omitted.

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2012, 12:23:57 PM »

I'm guessing the cost of shipping that huge thing overseas all over the place would be hideously, hideously expensive, too.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2012, 12:29:42 PM »

I understand. The Stones would have done it though. Sorry, but this is a bit of a sticking point for me. Who is singing lead on "God Only Knows" for the Euro shows?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 12:32:05 PM by Moon Dawg » Logged
Domino
Smiley Smile Associate

Hypnotize me, Van Dyke

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2012, 01:06:13 PM »

I understand. The Stones would have done it though. Sorry, but this is a bit of a sticking point for me. Who is singing lead on "God Only Knows" for the Euro shows?
Brian.

Brian on why he loves God Only Knows: "Because Paul McCartney said it was his favourite song"

"New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin." - runnersdialzero
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2012, 01:11:36 PM »

How are they doing 47 songs without an intermission? For 70 year old guys, that is super impressive.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2012, 01:14:53 PM »

It is!! I got tired just of standing and watching and i'm half their  age !!

KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2012, 01:29:38 PM »

With the video screens, it's not just the expense of shipping things that large, but the electrical incompatibility.  More electrical items are now manufactured dual-voltage, but mostly small appliances.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2012, 01:35:13 PM »

I'm guessing the cost of shipping that huge thing overseas all over the place would be hideously, hideously expensive, too.

Looking at the clips it looks like even the surfboards didn't make the cut.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2012, 02:05:54 PM »

Bruce posted on the BBB not too long ago that the smaller venues made it difficult to set up the video screens and therefore, the tributes had to be omitted.

Not all the venues for the Euro tour are particularly small though.

Oh well, bit of a shame.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2012, 02:54:36 PM »

Oh well, bit of a shame.

The way he said it made it seem as if most pf the venues were small. But he did hint that the UK shows may be more appealing to people willing to hear deeper cuts  Wink

Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2012, 02:58:13 PM »

It's possible that "Lady Lynda" and "Sumahama" may make the setlist soon. Both more popular oversas than in the USA.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 02:59:17 PM by Moon Dawg » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2012, 07:58:56 PM »

Well, if it's true I'm kinda let down about the Carl and Dennis tributes not taken place in Europe. IMO in times of internet you can't split up up your show for U.S. and Europe, etc.  We've seen what happened in the states so we expect the same in Europe and Asia, etc.  (Sorry, right now I'm too drunk to even get this meessage  right, but you know what I mean. You're godd SmileySmilers...)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 08:04:18 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2012, 11:53:39 PM »

A few brief notes about the show (my hands are covered in mosquito bites so I can't type more -- I'll be posting a full review of both shows to my blog when the swelling goes down).

This was in many ways the less good of the two Italian shows -- more conservative setlist (no Betsy or This Whole World), very nasal vocals from Mike, Bruce seemed to be a bit of a loose end (Brian having taken his usual roles of mic-adjusting and mentioning the names of other band members), Dave fluffed a couple of solos a bit, and there were a couple of moments where because Brian or Al missed a vocal cue, the band seemed a little unsure of where in the song they were (e.g. Al missed the first line of Then I Kissed Her, sang the second line, then sang the second line *again*, when the band thought he would be going to "When we danced...")

But all that said, it was still a great show.

Partly because Brian was really *on* at this show, in a way he wasn't at the Milan one (where everyone else was much better than in Rome) -- he sometimes gazed off into the ceiling, and I *think* he may have been hearing voices then (I used to work on a psych ward for a couple of years, I know the expression all too well), but he kept playing even then, and he was *very* strong with his backing vocals, often throwing in little extra embellishments.

There was a lot of interaction within the band, as well -- especially between the other band members and Brian (lots of nods of encouragement and so on), but also Mike joking with Darian and that kind of thing. While it might not be the kind of show that all the backing band want to be doing (and I would gladly have had a thirty-five song set instead of a forty-five song one, if they'd dropped twenty fun-in-the-sun songs and covers for ten more introspective or arty ones, so I can see why they might feel like that), they're all great performers and never once seem less than completely enthusiastic on stage.

As for the questions about whose instruments are actually plugged in, I was up front for both shows, and at opposite ends of the stage each time, and watching very closely, and so I can say this:
Brian -- at various points in the Rome show he played odd little bass runs with his left hand which were audible in the mix, and during the intro and first verse of Kokomo he was the only one playing keyboards, and he was *very* audible then. He's definitely always playing the right song, and at least sometimes in the mix.
Dave -- his guitar is always in the mix, but his vocal isn't. The only times I could swear he was in the vocal mix were for Getcha Back, Surfer Girl and In My Room, while on Cal Dreaming he came in for the massed "Ooh" backing vocals four bars too early, and nothing came out of the sound system.
Al -- his guitar is definitely audible at times. The part he'd normally play on banjo on California is on guitar for these shows, and very audible, and a couple of times when he stopped playing to adjust his mic or his settings I noticed the rhythm guitar part get thinner.
Bruce -- Never noticed his keyboard in the mix, though it might have been, and when Mike did his "give me my note" bit on Be True To Your School, Bruce hit a key and nothing came out...

I think that who is and isn't in the front-of-house mix varies from song to song, but their instruments are all plugged in and at least sometimes audible.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2012, 12:07:09 AM »

Cheesy  Thanks for the swell update, Andrew; all news is good, I'm looking forward to the full low downs.

Roll on 31 Aug.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2012, 03:24:02 AM »

Well, the O2-Arena in Berlin should be large enough, but it's the shipping costs I guess. Bummer.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2012, 03:37:45 AM »

Reading that last post back, it comes off as more critical than I intended, because I was typing very brief thoughts. I'm still planning on doing a blog post about both shows either tonight or tomorrow, but I just want to make clear that *even though* there were a couple of fluffs in this show (all very minor ones) and it wasn't as good as the one in Milan, it was still wonderfully enjoyable.

Al, Mike and Brian all complement each other perfectly in their stage presences -- Mike doing his usual schtick, which is corny as hell but which really does work, Brian making odd asides almost at random and being very enthusiastic about how great the band are, and Al clearly *really* concentrating on his vocals (and Al sings wonderfully). The look of concentration and sincerity on Al's face even when he's singing something like "rah rah rah rah sis boom bah" is a wonder to behold.

And there aren't enough good things to say about the backing band. Everyone knows how good Probyn, Scott B, Darian, Nelson and Paul are in their roles, but the addition of Cowsill on drums pushes the band's energy levels up just a notch or two more than with any of the other drummers they've had (the interplay between him and Nelson Bragg is astounding), Mike D'Amico is as good a bass player as he is a percussionist, and Scott Totten's vocals help fill out the high end very well. And while I know some here don't like Foskett's voice, he did a beautiful job on Don't Worry Baby and All This Is That.

The things I mentioned in my previous post were mentioned because they were the exceptions -- the tiny flaws in an excellent show. Even with the cost of the foreign travel included, it was more than worth it.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2012, 11:12:52 AM »

Setlist via the FB page of Giuca from the Sunny Boys:

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2012, 11:15:40 AM »

Note that my memory differs from the setlist -- I remember You're So Good To Me going into Then I Kissed Her, because they were the only two songs where someone messed up and they were back-to-back. I may remember wrong though.

STE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2012, 04:24:36 PM »

Oh well, bit of a shame.

The way he said it made it seem as if most pf the venues were small. But he did hint that the UK shows may be more appealing to people willing to hear deeper cuts  Wink

The UK shows will have the screens.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx