gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:55:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Prince From Another Planet,A boy from Tupelo - historical Presley releases 2012  (Read 19125 times)
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2012, 09:45:26 AM »

I cannot wait for this.  1 more day! 

I was going to take a day off this week from work and realized what better day than tomorrow?...a whole day with the deluxe set. 
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2012, 10:03:32 AM »

Just got it! The opening to "That's allright" is on and rocks!!

EDIT: The voice seems to be more part of the complete sound rather than being sngled out. Really cool!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 10:05:45 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2012, 10:11:39 AM »

Damn...lucky!  Did you get both the Legacy and Deluxe sets?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2012, 10:47:17 AM »

Damn...lucky!  Did you get both the Legacy and Deluxe sets?

I bought the 3-disc versio. Both concerts plus DVD. Don't need the other one. I have "An afternoon in the garden" and the original album on CD.
Great artwork btw. Just took a quick look at the book and it has some very cool images

EDIT:

Goddamnit! Those trombones really are fantastic!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 12:53:42 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2012, 01:16:32 PM »

Did you get it Justin?

- Jack Rieley
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2012, 03:14:04 PM »

Ah yes I did!   Went during my lunch hour at work to pick up the Deluxe set.  I shall pick up the Legacy set tomorrow.

LOOVE it.  The evening show sits better with me than the afternoon show for the new mix.  The afternoon show was always in great quality for me so I'm not sure they could better it any more.  but it's still a great upgrade.  The DVD is wonderful.  So great to see Elvis on stage during these historic shows.   Overall--the set is a dream come true.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2012, 07:44:26 AM »

So, I guess I'm going with the 2 CD. I want the film, and I want it remixed. And the vinyl release is not remixed, correct? But mostly I want that film. I'm also looking forward to that essay. 5000 words... should be a fun read.

You only get the film and the new mixes on the 3-disc set. The 2-disc set has the original mixes ('72 and '97) only. I don't know about the LP.

Ah yes I did!   Went during my lunch hour at work to pick up the Deluxe set.  I shall pick up the Legacy set tomorrow.

LOOVE it.  The evening show sits better with me than the afternoon show for the new mix.  The afternoon show was always in great quality for me so I'm not sure they could better it any more.  but it's still a great upgrade.  The DVD is wonderful.  So great to see Elvis on stage during these historic shows.   Overall--the set is a dream come true.

Great!
The '97 mix for the afternoon show was definitely better than the '72 mix but I still prefer the new one very much. You can hear so much more imo. I especially love that the orchestra is audible. Too many times it got mixed too low although it added so much to the sound. And of course that's what Elvis wanted.
The essay is ok but it's making the same mistake imo as all the other articles. It treis too much to talk about the myth and tries to explain that rather than to talk about the many musical highlights. It's written nicely but not completely my cup of tea

Here someone synched the audio to the ending of "Can't help falling in love" with the movie properly.

http://vimeo.com/53208608

Billy Hinsche also posted about the set on Facebook.

I love this kind of footage - Elvis and the band are absolutely on fire ...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/09/elvis-presley-concert-footage_n_2103100.html?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl6|sec1_lnk3&pLid=232712&utm_hp_ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false

BTW here's some more footage of the MSG-shows:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_YQYnYsaG3w
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 08:41:07 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2012, 05:47:46 AM »

Here's the add from Record Collector (found it on the For Elvis Cd Collectors-forum). I didn't remember that there were different pictures to be used at one stage for the CD holders. Maybe someone who has the LPs can say if they are used on that set?

« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 05:48:53 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2012, 12:20:48 PM »

Some pro-shot footage of "Elvis - The concert" - Burning Love in 2012. Unfortunately it doesn't sound that good to my ears. I dislike that effect on Burton's guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SroMGuULa-E

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2012, 05:43:58 AM »

This is taken from a post by "Julian Grant" of the "For Elvis CD Collectors"-forum. It shows you Elvis inside Western Recorders and the studio in ca '66. Thought it might be interesting for some people here:

Looks like this comes from the "If I can dream"-session

And the freak show... I mean EPE brings us some new exhibits next year. Not that I'd really care, but this quote sounds interesting:

...never-before-seen footage of Elvis’ first Hawaiian concert from the Graceland archives and more.

http://www.elvis.com/news/detail.aspx?id=6797
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 05:58:51 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
halblaineisgood
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2012, 11:29:18 AM »

« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 06:23:28 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2012, 06:37:00 AM »

Next project from Legacy will be the "Aloha from Hawaii"-show(s).

Elvis Presley performed at the H.I.C. Arena in Honolulu on January 14, 1973, Aloha From Hawaii via Satellite was the first, worldwide live satellite broadcast of a concert - broadcast to over 40 Nations and screened to others several weeks later. The concert debuted in the U.S. TV on NBC on April 4 and the Nielsen ratings had the show at 33.8% of homes and 51% of those watching TV - and in the Far-East, TV viewing records were broken in Japan, Philippines, Australia, Korea and Hong Kong!

On Jan 12, a full dress rehearsal took place prior to the main show. Previously issued as "The Alternate Aloha", this dress rehearsal performance makes up the first 21 tracks of Disc 2 of this Legacy Edition, which has been REMIXED and REMASTERED by Steve Rosenthal and Rob Santos. At the end of the main show on Jan 14, Elvis recorded 5 bonus songs behind closed doors for the US version of the TV show (tracks 25 to 29 Disc 2). Although previously issued, it is the first time all 5 songs have appeared in their rightful place!

This new 2-CD Legacy Edition features:
Disc 1 The Original Album (REMASTERED)
Disc 2 The January 12th. Dress Rehearsal + 5 bonus tracks (Remixed and remastered)
24 page booklet with rare photos and new liner notes.
Tracklisting disc: 1
1. Introduction: Also Sprach Zarathustra (Theme From 2001: A Space Odyssey)
2. See See Rider
3. Burning Love
4. Something
5. You Gave Me A Mountain
6. Steamroller Blues
7. My Way
8. Love Me
9. Johnny B. Goode
10. It's Over
11. Blue Suede Shoes
12. I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry
13. I Can't Stop Loving You
14. Hound Dog
15. What Now My Love
16. Fever
17. Welcome To My World
18. Suspicious Minds
19. Introductions by Elvis
20. I'll Remember You
21. Medley: Long Tall Sally/Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On
22. An American Trilogy
23. A Big Hunk O' Love
24. Can't Help Falling In Love

Tracklisting disc: 2
1. Introduction: Also Sprach Zarathustra (Theme From 2001: A Space Odyssey)
2. See See Rider
3. Burning Love
4. Something
5. You Gave Me A Mountain
6. Steamroller Blues
7. My Way
8. Love Me
9. Johnny B. Goode
10. It's Over
11. Blue Suede Shoes
12. I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry
13. I Can't Stop Loving You
14. Hound Dog
15. What Now My Love
16. Fever
17. Welcome To My World
18. Suspicious Minds
19. Introductions by Elvis
20. I'll Remember You
21. Medley: Long Tall Sally/Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On
22. An American Trilogy
23. A Big Hunk O' Love
24. Can't Help Falling In Love
25. Blue Hawaii (Bonus Song)
26. Ku-U-I-Po (Bonus Song)
27. No More (Bonus Song)
28. Hawaiian Wedding Song (Bonus Song)
29. Early Morning Rain (Bonus Song)

Obviously Johnny B. Goode, I Can't Stop Loving You and Long Tall Sally/Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On weren't performed in the earlier show so that certainly is just a mistake.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2014, 04:08:22 PM »

Interview with Michael Brauer - Mixing Elvis Presley

http://www.memphisflash.de/2014/02/mixing-elvis-presley-interview-with-michael-brauer-prince-from-another-planet/

- Jack Rieley
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2014, 11:21:48 PM »

I have bought the Boy From Tupelo set from a man in Sweden, and the 3 Sun Bear Family boxes (Rock, Blues, Country) and I am swimming in Sun glory!

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2014, 12:59:01 PM »

I have bought the Boy From Tupelo set from a man in Sweden, and the 3 Sun Bear Family boxes (Rock, Blues, Country) and I am swimming in Sun glory!

That's pure gold. Right. There.
Enjoy!

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx