gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:21:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Prince From Another Planet,A boy from Tupelo - historical Presley releases 2012  (Read 19127 times)
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2012, 03:43:58 PM »

Check out the three threads started by Ethan J Clark in the Sandbox forum.

Yeeesh.  I just saw the threads---I never check that section---the threads are surely entertaining...and confusing Huh
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2012, 06:23:37 AM »

Here's the Q&A session from Elvis week with Ernst Jorgensen a.o.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgOK-SXbLfk&feature=g-u-u

Audience members were asked not to film when the MSG footage was shown and so did this user who uploaded the video. But it's said that the footage looks really good and that it was shot from the 8th row. It doesn't appear to be very shaky at all. Anyway, that's what's been said by attendees, I - of course - haven't seen it

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2012, 03:02:15 PM »

Unreleased fan-footage of Elvis' shows in Knowville turns up

http://www.local8now.com/news/headlines/Never-Before-Seen-Evis-Video-from-Knoxville-Concerts-166582806.html

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2012, 02:11:47 PM »

Sony will release a vinyl version of the upcoming Prince From Another Planet release, which contains the Madison Square Garden shows.

Source: http://elvisnews.com/news.aspx/vinyl-news/13988

- Jack Rieley
halblaineisgood
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2012, 06:52:03 PM »

Sony will release a vinyl version of the upcoming Prince From Another Planet release, which contains the Madison Square Garden shows.

Source: http://elvisnews.com/news.aspx/vinyl-news/13988

Nice!!!!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 06:52:59 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2012, 06:55:54 PM »

I suppose if I want the DVD I'll have to buy the CD's. Sad
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2012, 03:51:17 AM »

I suppose if I want the DVD I'll have to buy the CD's. Sad

That seems to be correct

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2012, 02:26:12 PM »

For some reason I never heard of this before. "If I can dream" with Elvis' vocal track turned down so you hear the backing track and backing vocals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl9q3YUuyPc&feature=related

- Jack Rieley
halblaineisgood
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2012, 10:29:30 PM »

For some reason I never heard of this before. "If I can dream" with Elvis' vocal track turned down so you hear the backing track and backing vocals:

That was beautiful. Thanks for finding it.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2012, 12:30:10 PM »

That was beautiful. Thanks for finding it.

My pleasure!

Here's a example of the footage from "Prince from another planet" !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WOYMsiNEKa8#!

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2012, 09:16:27 AM »

Here's an example of the footage from "Prince from another planet" !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WOYMsiNEKa8#!

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/videos/elvis-presley-suspicious-minds-live-at-madison-square-garden-premiere-20121009

- Jack Rieley
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2012, 10:07:07 AM »

HOLY sh*t this is AWESOME!!!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2012, 12:17:42 PM »

Here are three official previews of the audio:

http://elvissessions.net/?p=650

- Jack Rieley
MBE
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2012, 11:02:53 PM »

To me the Sun records stuff needs to be heard on vinyl. For that I recomend the vinyl pressing of "Elvis At Sun", or the late seventies blue label pressing of "The Sun Collection". Nothing comes close except some great bootleg EP's done in the late seventies. I love Boy From Tupelo for what it is, but if anything needs a vinyl pressing, it's that one.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2012, 12:09:09 PM »

Probably been posted before, but one of my favorite Elvis stories... http://www.elvisinfonet.com/spotlight_elvis_madison_incident.html
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 12:11:01 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2012, 02:20:06 PM »

Probably been posted before, but one of my favorite Elvis stories... http://www.elvisinfonet.com/spotlight_elvis_madison_incident.html

Must be unreal when all of a sudden Elvis Presley is standing behind you...

Regarding the Madison Square Garden concerts, it seems that only the deluxe edition (with the DVD) will feature the new mixes of the show done by Michael Brauer while the other edition has the known older mixes.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 05:42:58 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2012, 05:47:24 AM »

Here's something I've been wanting to hear for quite some time. Dobie Gray's version of "There's a honky tonk angel" which Elvis did on his fantastic "Promised land" album in '73 recorded at Stax.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fuxe6YWSewI

Not only do both recordings share some of the same musicians but Elvis strictly followed Gray's version. Personally I like Presley's version better because of his phrasings but Dobie's version has a very dry and direct sound that's missing on Elvis' recording.

BTW all the same also goes for "Loving arms" except it appeared on Elvis' "Good times" album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqKxMtO6xFw

At the same time Elvis also tried Gray's "We had it all" (also a hit for Waylon Jennings) but decided that he couldn't top it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-58IT0FbdRw&feature=relmfu

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2012, 01:22:24 PM »

Oh cool, you can listen to "A boy from Tupelo" on this site under music -> CD of the month
http://www.elvisoncd.com/

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2012, 12:16:47 PM »

Prince From Another Planet - Review by Joseph A. Tunzi

On June 16 and 17, 1972, at the Chicago Stadium, I witnessed Elvis on stage. Those amazing shows were part of the very same tour that Sony is representing on the new Sony Legacy release, Prince from Another Planet, a 40th anniversary deluxe edition containing 2 cds and a DVD. The shows featured on the set are the afternoon and evening performances recorded on June 10, 1972 at the legendary Madison Square Garden in New York City.

Elvis did 4 sold out shows total. Raking in over 80,000 people in attendance. At the time this was another attendance record held by Elvis. RCA also set a record, their idea was to rush release an album of the evening show making it available within 10 days or so after the original performance. This was a first. As I remember it the lines to purchase the album were out the door at the local record stores. This was happening all across the U.S. fans lined up waiting to pick up the LP.

It was a great time for Elvis and a great time to be a fan. Burning Love would be released about 6 weeks later and would be Elvis Presley’s last No. 1 Cashbox and No.2 in Billboard. The year ended with the release of the Golden Globe winner Elvis On Tour. The award winning documentary about the April 1972 sold out concert tour of Elvis Presley. Before I get to carried away let’s get to the new Sony Legacy release.

This new version includes the afternoon show, which was not released in its entirety until 1997 to put it together with the evening show plus a bonus dvd is an excellent idea. The DVD shows actual film footage taken by a fan in the audience. Sony acquired the film and added it to the DVD. The audio on the dvd exhibit’s the whole show while the video represents about 20 minutes of the actual 60 minute performance. In other words there is about 40 minutes of the DVD with zero picture. There is no doubt you will be watching and wishing there was more film footage. But that’s not going to happen. That said what you do see and hear is amazing!

Sony also went the extra mile by including about 10 minutes of the 20 minute New York press conference Elvis did prior to the shows. This 10 minute footage is unedited and runs exactly as WNBC gave it to Sony. A 30 minute documentary about the shows is included offering an excellent insight by musician Lenny Kaye, who witnessed the press conference and 2 shows 40 years ago as a rock journalist for Cavalier Magazine he also contributed to a 5000 word essay in the deluxe packaging which naturally contains some great photographs.

Finally, the audio on both shows from the original 16 track tapes is excellently remixed by Recording Engineer, Michael Brauer. It gives the sound a fresh approach without losing some the original mixes of the shows. Showcasing how great a singer and artist Elvis Presley is . The very best in his class. I recall a review at the time in Rolling Stone Magazine about the original album saying it was a “damn fine record.” I echo those same words today on the new Sony Legacy release. “It’s still a damn fine record!” Go out and get it.

And here's the '72 Rolling Stone review of the "As recorded at Madison square garden"-album Tunzi mentions.

This is a damn fine record, friend, and you're going to like it whether you like it or not. There's Wagnerian bombast, plenty of your favorite songs, some jukebox music and some Las Vegas lounge music. There's even some old fashioned rock 'n' roll. And most of all there's lots of Elvis, doing what he does best, strutting his stuff before adoring fans. There's even historical interest; this was Elvis' first New York stage appearance, and you can bet plenty of folks had been waiting since 1956 for a little of that Elvis magic. Well, they got it, and you can hear them getting it right here, the whole thing, from the opening whisper of "Also Sprach Zarathustra" to the MC announcing that "Elvis has left the building. Thank you and good night."

When Elvis became a rock 'n' roll singer he was picking up on a good thing, namely black blues. White Southerners had been recording black blues since the Twenties, but Elvis was the first one to become a star. He had the looks, the dynamism, the appeal of violent, impulsively sexual white trash. He could sing and he had that rhythmic drive. Even when he was starring in some of the worst exploitation movies ever made you knew he was just one step away from stepping out of his jive role and rocking the joint. Since he's started performing in public again he's discovered that his fans range in age from pre-teen to menopausal, and he's done his best to satisfy them all. Madison Square Garden, though, is his rockingest record in a long time, so Elvis fans who like it when he gets down are really going to dig it.

Every great rock and roll singer needs a great rock and roll band, and Elvis has got one. James Burton, the guitarist, can pick Sun era rockabilly, country twang, laid-back bluesy fills and sharp, ringing single string leads. Bassist Jerry Schiff and drummer Ronny Tutt are super tight; when they nail down the beat, it stays nailed down. Pianist Glen Hardman knows when to honk and when to tonk. The backup singers are the Sweet Inspirations and J.D. Summer and the Stamps, the one a black gospel group, the other white gospel. Church music of the sanctified, shouting kind has never been far removed from blues and rock & roll, so these two groups are perfect complements to Elvis' gospel-tinged voice. Kathy Westmoreland of the Inspirations sings graceful obbligatos way up high, and Mr. J.D. Sumner is the most authorative bass singer you could imagine, especially when he ends a song with one of his long, perfectly timed slides down from the dominant to the tonic. Of course there's also a flaccid orchestra sawing away in the background, but it's used like the orchestras on some of the classic Phil Spector records, to reverberate around the core of band and singers and occasionally come out with a sweet lead line.

Elvis and the band were in excellent form for their Saturday night Madison Square Garden concert. The record spares you the lukewarm opening set by the Sweet Inspirations and the public crucifixion of a sacrificial comic, not to mention the cries of the vendors hawking Elvis souvenir booklets and balloons. As it begins, the orchestra strikes up Zarathustra, which somehow seems more appropriate for Elvis than for Grand Funk, and the King himself comes bounding out, straps on a prop guitar, and roars into one of his early Sun hits, Big Boy Crudup's "That's All Right." Elvis doesn't even sound like he's tired of the song, and the band is giving him a lot of push. His voice has deepened and mellowed, but he can give it that old stridency when he wants to, and he matches the band with some pushing of his own, laying right into the beat and building up an overpowering momentum that is over all too soon. James Burton out-Creedences Fogerty on "Proud Mary" and then the band rocks on "Never Been to Spain," with a sinuous vocal from Elvis and soaring treble-string fills from Burton. Not even a string-heavy arrangement can make "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me" into a complete anticlimax, and orchestra and band get together to make "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" a memorable cut. "Polk Salad Annie" roars, and Jerry Schiff has a rumbling bass solo that consists of a few notes, perfectly placed, that build up some head of steam.
The record keeps on mixing up old favorites like "Teddy Bear" and "Don't Be Cruel" with more recent things like "Suspicious Minds." The latter has a thrashing, Cecil B. DeMille finale highlighted by Tutt's thundering drums. "I Can't Stop Loving You" is a surprise. Here it's a medium rocker with weeping guitar, more kicks from Tutt, and a powerful vocal that manages to find things to do with the song that even Hank Williams and Ray Charles didn't get to. "Hound Dog" includes some humor, Elvis starts it several times and lets it drop. "Now you don't know what I'm going to do yet," he tells the audience. When the tune gets started, it's a funky semi-boogaloo with wah-wah guitar and a deftly rhythmic vocal from Elvis that tenses the releases like a tightly coiled spring. Then the whole band falls right into the rocking tempo of the original, without missing a lick.

Even Mickey Newbury's pretentious "American Trilogy" -- which is really just "Dixie," "Battle Hymn of the Republic," and "All My Trials" strung together -- is fun, with Elvis laying some funky inflections on the grandiose orchestral and choral parts. "Can't Help Falling in Love," "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me," and "The Impossible Dream" are pretty Lake Tahoe, but still, you've got to admire Elvis' singing. He brings a touch of home-style raunch to even these saccharine evergreens.

So all things considered, just like I said before, this is a damn fine record. Elvis may not generate the polymorphously perverse hysteria the Rolling Stones arouse, he may not move around and jump into the air and wiggle his hips like he used to, but he's come through superstardom without forgetting what it means to rock, that's the important thing. Now I personally feel that he could save a lot of money and tighten up his act by firing his orchestra and making do with a couple of timpanists and the Memphis Horns, and if he just did stuff like "Polk Salad Annie" and "That's All Right" and forgot about Las Vegas for awhile, I'd like that too. But there's lots of people rocking and rolling to Elvis who wouldn't be caught dead at a Faces or a Stones concert, people who don't know the difference between Sun Records and Sun Ra but who will be more than happy to tell you what they like. And what they like is remembering sock hops and looking forward to that big Vegas vacation. So everybody gets enough of what they want to get what they need.

- Bob Palmer, Rolling Stone, 8/31/72.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 12:17:49 PM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
halblaineisgood
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2012, 03:39:53 PM »

Thanks for the updates !  Smiley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2012, 06:39:21 AM »

Thanks for the updates !  Smiley

You're welcome!

Found this on the "For Elvis CD Collectors"-forum. It's bigger if you open it in a new window.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 06:40:28 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2012, 05:41:50 AM »

More footage previews:

http://entertainment.time.com/2012/11/07/exclusive-newly-unearthed-coverage-of-elvis-presley-live-at-msg/

EDIT:

A nice article. But unfortunately they used a picture from Elvis in Uniondale '75.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203347104578101343669848314.html?KEYWORDS=elvis
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 10:26:17 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2012, 03:05:59 PM »

This is interesting. Nick Adam's notes about his friendship with Elvis are out now in book form, written by Adams' daugther. Check out the story behind it here:

http://www.vcstar.com/news/2012/nov/03/daughter-finds-late-fathers-book-about-elvis-to/

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2012, 07:48:02 AM »

Daily News review of "Prince from another planet":

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music-arts/elvis-earned-raves-72-msg-shows-article-1.1199993

- Jack Rieley
halblaineisgood
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2012, 07:02:15 PM »

« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 05:35:25 AM by God Only Meows » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx