gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680770 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 10:20:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Left Banke  (Read 2561 times)
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« on: August 03, 2013, 06:42:00 AM »

Michael Brown was a genius too!

Just sitting in my ride digging on the There's Gonna Be A Storm CD that covers both their early LPs.

And except for "Walk Away Renee" I knew nothing of this group until around 1996 when I found a used copy of the first record album in a thrift store.

Better late than never! Check out the Montage Lp too...if you can find one. Brilliant

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 08:12:45 AM »

Michael Brown was a genius too!

Just sitting in my ride digging on the There's Gonna Be A Storm CD that covers both their early LPs.

And except for "Walk Away Renee" I knew nothing of this group until around 1996 when I found a used copy of the first record album in a thrift store.

Better late than never! Check out the Montage Lp too...if you can find one. Brilliant
I've always loved "Pretty Ballerina". i also remember hearing a rather extraordinary 45 called "Desiree". But those and "Renee" (actually the Four Tops version!) are all i know of the Banke's music. 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 07:33:23 PM »

At the most recent Left Banke gig in NYC Michael Brown not only showed up, but spent quite a while at the keyboard. He's got a ton of unheard songs written and I think I read someplace that the band's getting ready to record some of them.

Superlative group. I have to admit that, heretically for an LB fan, I'm very fond of "Ivy, Ivy", the 45 that Brown did with Tom Feher, Michael McKean (yes, that Michael McKean) and Bert Sommer singing, which was released under the LB name when Michael had fallen out with the rest of the group.

"Myrah" is another masterwork, featuring Michael playing the Mellotron like no one before or since.
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 06:23:56 PM »

Another nice one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VihSZuHQvDY
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 07:15:24 PM »

That first album has so many killer tracks on it. The two singles, I've Got Something On My Mind, She May Call You Up Tonight, Shadows Breaking Over My Head....

Unfortunately, some of the tunes on the second side bring it down a bit. Still a classic, iconic album. Great use of the harpsichord and an LP that pretty much defines the height of baroque pop. Heard "Pretty Ballerina" at the supermarket today!

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 06:37:44 AM »

At the most recent Left Banke gig in NYC Michael Brown not only showed up, but spent quite a while at the keyboard. He's got a ton of unheard songs written and I think I read someplace that the band's getting ready to record some of them.

Superlative group. I have to admit that, heretically for an LB fan, I'm very fond of "Ivy, Ivy", the 45 that Brown did with Tom Feher, Michael McKean (yes, that Michael McKean) and Bert Sommer singing, which was released under the LB name when Michael had fallen out with the rest of the group.

"Myrah" is another masterwork, featuring Michael playing the Mellotron like no one before or since.

Most welcome news indeed! I was not aware of any of this looks like I have some catching up to do on their recent history.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 11:50:44 PM »

Awhile ago, I downloaded their comp "There's Gonna Be a Storm: The Complete Recordings 1966-9". Gotta say, very nice gift for all the beginners, lots of stuff to dig in. I know, Steve Martin's voice is the most recognizable among fans & the most beloved, but I really like Bert Sommer's. He went on to sing my favorite Left Banke song ever - "Men Are Building Sand"*. Incredible backing track & melody. His voice sounds kinda feminine, but I think it's beautiful nonetheless. "Ivy, Ivy" is stunning, love the key/mood contrast between the verses & chorus. Very hopeful tune. The intro reminds me of good ole Soviet cartoons about winter/Father Frost.

Steve sang many goodies too, 1st thing I ever heard by this band was - no wonder - "Walk away Renee". I was quite impressed by the lead vocal, however, the next song, "Pretty Ballerina", wasn't to my liking, so I forgot about this band until <see above>. "Sing Little Bird Sing" is another fave, drastically unlike any of their "weird, key shift-driven music". I like its simplicity & benign nature. Btw, they did country too, might be my 2nd fave:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU0IA3mw1rU (What Do You Know)

Listen how Steve's tender baroque singing fitted this genre like a glove.

*I heard the Montage LP on youtube & most of the songs compared to the previously released versions I found insipid. "Men Are Building Sand" sounds dry & missing all the elements I liked about the song initially. Wrong orchestration.

The Конец.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 07:09:00 AM »

Good morning Marianne,  What a nice thread to float back to the top!  Along with Nazz, a favorite American band of mine from the late 60's (like Nazz, they only sounded British).  The track you linked was the one and only lead vocal by Mike Brown (w/ Tom Finn's help).
On the first album Steve got all the other leads, except "I Haven't Got the Nerve," which is George and Steve.  I loved the first album, but the second one (Too) is even better.  The three vocalists, Steve, Tom Finn and George Cameron, aided by one of Mike's writing partners Tom Feher (Brown and Feher wrote the "Ivy Ivy" single and "What Do You Know" "Barterers and Their Wives" and "Evening Gown" on the First album), created one of the most beautiful Pop albums of the time.  Tom Feher was also added as a player - guitar and piano (on the later 1968 sessions).  Should've been a hit, as they say.
Left Banke Too (November 1968) gave all the singers a chance at showing what they could do.  Mike was still around in a reduced roll (1967 sessions), and the great Hugh McCracken (guitar) was one of the session cats.
Steve lead vocals on:  "Sing Little Bird Sing" (Feher), "Give The Man A Hand" w/Tom and George, "Desiree" (Brown - Feher) w/Tom and George, "Dark is the Bark" (Finn - Martin - Cameron) w/Tom Finn*, "In the Morning Light" (Feher - Brown) W/Tom Finn and George, and "My Friend Today" (Finn) w/Tom Finn*.
George lead vocals on:  "Goodbye Holly" (Feher) w/Tom Finn and Steve, and "Bryant Hotel" (Feher)) w/ Steve on 2nd vocal.
Tom Finn lead vocals on:  "There's Gonna Be A Storm" (Finn) w/Steve and George, and "Nice To See You" (Finn) w/George and Steve*.
*Although unknown at the time, Steve Tallarico (Tyler), adds a lot of power to the vocals on these tracks.  I don't know the full story on why he is on this album, maybe someone could step in here with more.  I was never a big fan of Arrowsmith, so I have not researched or read books on him.  He may have been a friend of Tom Finn, as it is Tom's tracks he is on.
I still have my vinyl copies of both of their albums, and they sound great on vinyl.  But, both are hard to find - especially the 2nd I'd suspect.  I bought the There's Gonna Be A Storm CD when it came out, and it's great to see you can still get it as a download.  sunddazed did their usual fantastic job re-mastering both in 2011, when Tom and George were doing a bit of touring with a new version of the group.  They really found a great replacement for Steve, Mike Fornatale - who also did the charts (they played with a string section).  Some of the clips and an interview (after the Bearsville show) can be found on youtube.  If you want to see a complete list of the musicians, key in the Desiree" live at Joe's Pub, NYC, 6 March 2011 clip.
Okay, I know you like lists, so here is my Top Ten:
"Dark is the Bark" - (Smash 45 #2165 6/68)
"There's Gonna Be A Storm" - (11/68)
"My Friend Today" - (Smash 45 #2165 6/68)
"Desiree" - (Smash 45 #2119 6/67)
"Walk Away Renee" - (Smash 45 #2041 7/66)
"In the Morning Light" - ( 11/68)
"I Haven't Got The Nerve" - (Smash 45 #2041 7/66)
"Let Go of You Girl" - (2/67)
"Give The Man A Hand" - (Smash 45 #2209 11/68) this is very close to the Nazz sound, I think Todd was a fan.
"She May Call You Up Tonight" - (2/67)
Every time I do one of these top poll lists, I look back and say, wait. no. that's not right.  So, todays list anyway...
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 04:26:43 PM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 07:22:20 AM »

Awhile ago, I downloaded their comp "There's Gonna Be a Storm: The Complete Recordings 1966-9". Gotta say, very nice gift for all the beginners, lots of stuff to dig in.
I got that one as well. Cheesy Really got me into them.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2014, 10:51:46 PM »

Good morning Marianne,  What a nice thread to float back to the top!  Along with Nazz, a favorite American band of mine from the late 60's (like Nazz, they only sounded British).  The track you linked was the one and only lead vocal by Mike Brown (w/ Tom Finn's help).
On the first album Steve got all the other leads, except "I Haven't Got the Nerve," which is George and Steve.  I loved the first album, but the second one (Too) is even better.  The three vocalists, Steve, Tom Finn and George Cameron, aided by one of Mike's writing partners Tom Feher (Brown and Feher wrote the "Ivy Ivy" single and "What Do You Know" "Barterers and Their Wives" and "Evening Gown" on the First album), created one of the most beautiful Pop albums of the time.  Tom Feher was also added as a player - guitar and piano (on the later 1968 sessions).  Should've been a hit, as they say.
Left Banke Too (November 1968) gave all the singers a chance at showing what they could do.  Mike was still around in a reduced roll (1967 sessions), and the great Hugh McCracken (guitar) was one of the session cats.
Steve lead vocals on:  "Sing Little Bird Sing" (Feher), "Give The Man A Hand" w/Tom and George, "Desiree" (Brown - Feher) w/Tom and George, "Dark is the Bark" (Finn - Martin - Cameron) w/Tom Finn*, "In the Morning Light" (Feher - Brown) W/Tom Finn and George, and "My Friend Today" (Finn) w/Tom Finn*.
George lead vocals on:  "Goodbye Holly" (Feher) w/Tom Finn and Steve, and "Bryant Hotel" (Feher)) w/ Steve on 2nd vocal.
Tom Finn lead vocals on:  "There's Gonna Be A Storm" (Finn) w/Steve and George, and "Nice To See You" (Finn) w/George and Steve*.
*Although unknown at the time, Steve Tallarico (Tyler), adds a lot of power to the vocals on these tracks.  I don't know the full story on why he is on this album, maybe someone could step in here with more.  I was never a big fan of Arrowsmith, so I have not researched or read books on him.  He may have been a friend of Tom Finn, as it is Tom's tracks he is on.
I still have my vinyl copies of both of their albums, and they sound great on vinyl.  But, both are hard to find - especially the 2nd I'd suspect.  I bought the There's Gonna Be A Storm CD when it came out, and it's great to see you can still get it as a download.  sunddazed did their usual fantastic job re-mastering both in 2011, when Tom and George were doing a bit of touring with a new version of the group.  They really found a great replacement for Steve, Mike Fornatale - who also did the charts (they played with a string section).  Some of the clips and an interview (after the Bearsville show) can be found on youtube.  If you want to see a complete list of the musicians, key in the Desiree" live at Joe's Pub, NYC, 6 March 2011 clip.
Okay, I know you like lists, so here is my Top Ten:
"Dark is the Bark" - (Smash 45 #2165 6/68)
"There's Gonna Be A Storm" - (11/68)
"My Friend Today" - (Smash 45 #2165 6/68)
"Desiree" - (Smash 45 #2119 6/67)
"Walk Away Renee" - (Smash 45 #2041 7/66)
"In the Morning Light" - ( 11/68)
"I Haven't Got The Nerve" - (Smash 45 #2041 7/66)
"Let Go of You Girl" - (2/67)
"Give The Man A Hand" - (Smash 45 #2209 11/68) this is very close to the Nazz sound, I think Todd was a fan.
"She May Call You Up Tonight" - (2/67)
Good evening, Will! As always, your post is most welcome. Thanks for correction re "What Do You Know" leads vocals. Mike sounds just like Steve. That comp has got almost every track off the 2nd album, will check the remnants. An interview would be interesting to find, to see the band speaking up. Wow, I didn't know that Steve Tyler crossed path with The Left Banke. Insane but cool connection nonetheless. I like half of your list, very nice choice. Can't believe I forgot to mention "Give The Man A Hand". The intro is so beautiful (in fact, one of the best), followed by the driving chorus. Really like the tone of guitar & overall guitar playing on this one.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 07:06:18 AM »

Awhile ago, I downloaded their comp "There's Gonna Be a Storm: The Complete Recordings 1966-9". Gotta say, very nice gift for all the beginners, lots of stuff to dig in. I know, Steve Martin's voice is the most recognizable among fans & the most beloved, but I really like Bert Sommer's. He went on to sing my favorite Left Banke song ever - "Men Are Building Sand"*. Incredible backing track & melody. His voice sounds kinda feminine, but I think it's beautiful nonetheless. "Ivy, Ivy" is stunning, love the key/mood contrast between the verses & chorus. Very hopeful tune. The intro reminds me of good ole Soviet cartoons about winter/Father Frost.

Steve sang many goodies too, 1st thing I ever heard by this band was - no wonder - "Walk away Renee". I was quite impressed by the lead vocal, however, the next song, "Pretty Ballerina", wasn't to my liking, so I forgot about this band until <see above>. "Sing Little Bird Sing" is another fave, drastically unlike any of their "weird, key shift-driven music". I like its simplicity & benign nature. Btw, they did country too, might be my 2nd fave:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU0IA3mw1rU (What Do You Know)

Listen how Steve's tender baroque singing fitted this genre like a glove.

*I heard the Montage LP on youtube & most of the songs compared to the previously released versions I found insipid. "Men Are Building Sand" sounds dry & missing all the elements I liked about the song initially. Wrong orchestration.

The Конец.

Montage can grow on you if you give it a chance...I acquired a mint vinyl LP which sounds amazing. There is a Brown track on there (cant recall the name) that is so gloomy - it makes Eleanor Rigby sound like "Happy Birthday"

Thats a great track.  Grin

Necessity knows no law
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx