gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680742 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 03:16:06 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Doin' It Again DVD/Blu-ray due August 28  (Read 27969 times)
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 30, 2012, 05:13:49 PM »

Did anyone here buy the Reader's Digest thingy?  I did not.

The Life Story magazine or whatever? I bought it but haven't even looked at it. I got in June and was surprised to notice quite a few copies still in the magazine section of my grocery store this afternoon.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 31, 2012, 05:09:25 AM »

I picked up a copy of "Doin' It Again" the other day, because this 'made for PBS' show did not air on my local PBS station.  I wasn't expecting anything more or less than the 50+ minute program, as shown on TV (but not in my market  Angry).  I got exactly what I expected, and it looks nice on my HDTV, and it sounds nice through my stereo and big old speakers.  It is a nice little video documentary to have, with the Good Vibrations footage, some concert clips, etc., and for $10.00, it's a bargain (hell, I paid more than that for that stupid WalMart 'zine pack).   
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 31, 2012, 07:17:21 AM »

Someone mentioned (perhaps in another thread) that there are 3 DVD projects in the works.  Do we know if that means 3 *IN ADDITION TO* this release (which I will be getting from Amazon today) or if this is included in that tally?  Either way, we're looking at another 2 DVD projects.  I just hope to God that one of them will represent a complete concert (drawn from multiple sources if necessary) with all the songs they've performed this tour.

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 31, 2012, 07:44:51 AM »

Someone mentioned (perhaps in another thread) that there are 3 DVD projects in the works.  Do we know if that means 3 *IN ADDITION TO* this release (which I will be getting from Amazon today) or if this is included in that tally?  Either way, we're looking at another 2 DVD projects.  I just hope to God that one of them will represent a complete concert (drawn from multiple sources if necessary) with all the songs they've performed this tour.

I believe the poster mentioned three DVD/BR productions that are in the works.  I can't imagine what would be on the three separate productions, but as long as one of them is an entire concert's worth of the music, I'm a happy camper.  Heck, I'm happy with what we've gotten already.  Everything else is gravy, man, and I loves me some gravy.  Please, sir, I want some more.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 31, 2012, 07:58:13 AM »

Maybe a video companion to 50 Big Ones with music videos, promotional films, and concert clips?  How cool would that be?

the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 31, 2012, 08:32:45 AM »

DESPITE HAVING SEEN DOIN' IT AGAIN ON LINE, i ENJOYED GETTING A COPY AND SEEING IT ON A LARGE tv. wHAT IS THAT SONG THEY ARE REHEARSING IN THE STUDIO? iS THAT WAVES OF LOVE, AS PER SOME EARLIER POSTS?  IS THAT AN UNRELEASED bb SONG PENNED BY bRUCE? I know nothing of it.

(silly caps lock).  That song sounded good, with BJ directing Scott on guitar.
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: August 31, 2012, 10:02:35 AM »

DESPITE HAVING SEEN DOIN' IT AGAIN ON LINE, i ENJOYED GETTING A COPY AND SEEING IT ON A LARGE tv. wHAT IS THAT SONG THEY ARE REHEARSING IN THE STUDIO? iS THAT WAVES OF LOVE, AS PER SOME EARLIER POSTS?  IS THAT AN UNRELEASED bb SONG PENNED BY bRUCE? I know nothing of it.

(silly caps lock). 

Silly "you can't erase it and re-type it afterwards" function.  Roll Eyes

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 31, 2012, 10:06:10 AM »

(silly caps lock). 

Silly "you can't erase it and re-type it afterwards" function.  Roll Eyes

Go easy on him. He's only a professor.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 31, 2012, 10:21:50 AM »

DESPITE HAVING SEEN DOIN' IT AGAIN ON LINE, i ENJOYED GETTING A COPY AND SEEING IT ON A LARGE tv. wHAT IS THAT SONG THEY ARE REHEARSING IN THE STUDIO? iS THAT WAVES OF LOVE, AS PER SOME EARLIER POSTS?  IS THAT AN UNRELEASED bb SONG PENNED BY bRUCE? I know nothing of it.

(silly caps lock).

Silly "you can't erase it and re-type it afterwards" function.  Roll Eyes
Go easy on him. He's only a professor.
He's too busy checking out Ginger and Mary Anne as he types it.. LOL

« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 01:21:50 PM by joshferrell » Logged
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 31, 2012, 11:17:51 AM »

The song is "I'd Go Anywhere" the footage is of Bruce's new Version of "She Believes In Love Again"

the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 31, 2012, 05:18:39 PM »

The song is "I'd Go Anywhere" the footage is of Bruce's new Version of "She Believes In Love Again"

Thanks. So the song performed is not the one we hear?  You are so astute to point that out, FOTM, as you must know the parts performed and the visual cues (I think I have heard that before).  I now recall that Waves of Love is the one Brian could not get excited for, which is Carl's vocal on Al's Postcard bonus release. But "I'd go anywhere" sounds great.

I think I up up to speed now. Thank you FOTM.

I just have to put my coconut earphones on and get back to the album.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 01, 2012, 01:19:55 AM »

Can someone who's bought the Doin' it Again set - either Blu-Ray or DVD - confirm the region coding please? Amazon UK states it's Region 1 only but Amazon UK is notoriously crap at getting such details correct. If it's region-free I might spend the kids' pocket money £s on a copy in future.

“We live in divisive times.”
Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 01, 2012, 01:44:51 AM »

Can someone who's bought the Doin' it Again set - either Blu-Ray or DVD - confirm the region coding please? Amazon UK states it's Region 1 only but Amazon UK is notoriously crap at getting such details correct. If it's region-free I might spend the kids' pocket money £s on a copy in future.

The DVD I´ve bought in Germany is NTSC Code 0.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 01, 2012, 02:38:28 AM »

Many thanks Christian, did you buy online?

Anyone else?

Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 01, 2012, 06:53:14 AM »

Many thanks Christian, did you buy online?

I bought it online here:

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/-/art/Beach-Boys-Doin-It-Again/hnum/2980704
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 01, 2012, 07:59:19 AM »

Thanks again, looking like it might be region-free…

ohthosegirls
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 01, 2012, 08:27:16 AM »

Just hack your dvd player to region free.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 01, 2012, 09:44:09 AM »

Just hack your dvd player to region free.

Blu-Ray player… and I wouldn't know where to start!  LOL

ohthosegirls
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 01, 2012, 09:53:52 AM »

It's been awhile since I checked how to do it, but maybe this site can help? http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 09, 2012, 08:01:07 PM »

How is that better?  That's like a completist's nightmare.  What the Beatles did was take all their core studio material and put it in a reasonably priced box set.  The Beach Boys have never done anything like that and I think it's about time they did.

What do you think would be a reasonable price for a box set containing every Beach Boys master?

Somewhere around $100 to $150 I suppose?

The Beatles' stereo box retails for around $180. Considering that The Beach Boys have at least three times the amount of masters that The Beatles recorded, that is either a very lowball estimate from someone who doesn't wish to pay more than that for a lot of music, or it severely underestimates the band's musical-monetary value in comparison to the Fabs.

Rush recently released remastered versions of their entire catalog...but broke it up into three boxed sets.  I'm not entirely sure how many are in each set...I think it was something like 6 or 7 albums per set...priced around $45 per set.  I pretty good bargain.  Couldn't the Boys do something similiar?  I know they have more LPs (I think) than Rush...but why not break the catalog apart and maybe box 6-7 LPs at a crack?

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 09, 2012, 08:45:20 PM »

Did anyone notice that on "sail on sailor" Brian left out the word "Dying"?
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 09, 2012, 08:47:15 PM »

They have about double

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 09, 2012, 08:47:21 PM »

Probably end up with a Singles Box scenario where by the volume or two sell okay but there's. O perceived market for more, so series gets cancelled. Didn't the same happen with Stars & Stripes Vol 1?

Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 10, 2012, 05:55:34 AM »

They have about double

Good to know.  Rush put out 5 albums per box...plus a DVD.  What if the Boys did six LPs per box...skipping the DVD?

Set 1: Surfin' Safari, Surfin' USA, Surfer Girl, Little Deuce Coupe, Shut Down Vol. 2, All Summer Long
Set 2: Beach Boys Concert, Today!, Summer Days (and Summer Nights!!!), Party, Pet Sounds
Set 3: Smiley Smile, Wild Honey,  Friends, 20/20, Live In London, Sunflower
Set 4: Surf's Up, "So Tough", Holland, The Beach Boys In Concert, 15 Big Ones, Love You
Set 5: M.I.U. Album, L.A. (Light Album), Keepin' the Summer Alive, The Beach Boys, Summer In Paradise, TWGMTR

This leaves out the Christmas Album, Stack-O-Tracks and Still Cruisin'.  We could debate how essential these are.  I'd definitely see the value of a bonus disc in each set collecting the odds-and-sods singles/b-sides/bonus tracks.

Price each one in the $50 dollar range (a bit low?)...but Rush did it for about that price.  Consumers could pick and choose which ones they wanted...or maybe just pick them up one or two at a time so you wouldn't have to outlay so much cash at once.

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 10, 2012, 09:14:42 AM »

They have about double

Good to know.  Rush put out 5 albums per box...plus a DVD.  What if the Boys did six LPs per box...skipping the DVD?

FYI - The DVD in each set was an audio DVD of one album in 5.1, not video.  I don't like how they randomly choose one album to remix into surround.  If you're doing one, do them all.  Although personally I hate 5.1 studio album mixes.  Music wasn't meant to be heard that way.

The Beatles stereo box still doesn't include all of the mono mixes, all the official BBC stuff, the Anthology albums, the Yellow Submarine Songtrack, Let It Be...Naked, LOVE, and whatever else I forgot.  The Beatles/Apple/EMI don't really give anyone a special value for the money.  The could have easily put the mono and stereo mixes on the same discs like the BB remasters, but chose not to because they know they can get away with it.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx