gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680756 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 02:21:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Doin' It Again DVD/Blu-ray due August 28  (Read 27979 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« on: July 20, 2012, 09:21:59 AM »

http://www.ingroovesfontana.com/new-releases/cd-vinyl/8-21-&-8-28-INgF-NR-Book.pdf

sorry, text won't cut & paste

“We live in divisive times.”
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 09:39:38 AM »

Awesome news. We must have been very very good smiley-smilers to get so much good stuff in ONLY ONE YEAR.  LOL
Jason
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 09:40:37 AM »

WOW! Looks great. The Blu-ray will be worth the effort.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 10:09:16 AM »

I wonder if only the St. Augustine show is to be included here; it was not one of the best and would have to be tricked up like the Front Row Center versions we saw.  I am confused; is this merely the longer version of that program or a brand new venture? will there still be more DVD releases to fulfill our need to see so many varied performances?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 10:14:51 AM »

will there still be more DVD releases to fulfill our need to see so many varied performances?

http://social.entertainment.msn.com/music/blogs/scene-and-heard-blogpost.aspx?post=36a652ee-5afa-4508-a779-f8f7eb051041

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 10:41:16 AM »

Here's the gist, from one of the mailing lists I'm on:

Label: SMC Recordings
Genre: Pop

Sel #BEM10001 | BEM10002

DOIN' IT AGAIN [DVD]
DOIN' IT AGAIN [BLU-RAY]

The Beach Boys are America's most successful band. With 56 U.S. Top 100 hits, 36 Top Ten Hits and 4 Number One singles, their impression on American pop culture is rivaled only by the band that considered them to be their sole competition, The Beatles.

To mark the group's 50th anniversary, Brian Wilson, Mike Love, Al Jardine, Bruce Johnston and David Marks gathered in 2012 for an emotional reunion to record their first album of new material in 20 years, to kick off a worldwide tour and to reflect on their remarkable history.

FEATURING:
* Exclusive 2012 interviews with The Beach Boys
* Live performances from the band?s 2012 world tour
* Never-before-seen footage from the 1966 "Good Vibrations" recording sessions
* Behind-the-scenes footage from the 2012 recording sessions for the new Beach Boys release "That's Why God Made The Radio"
* The group's moving tributes to founding members Carl and Dennis Wilson

The Beach Boys: Doin' It Again is what fans thought they'd never see: The Beach Boys, with warmth, perspective and humor, describe their past, their present and their future.

WHY BUY? HERE'S WHY!!

* Containing vintage studio footage (some never released before), performance footage shot on May 2, 2012 in St. Augustine, FL, historic interview footage and more, this is the perfect video for Beach Boys fans and music fans of all ages.
* With 56 U.S. Top 100 hits, 36 Top Ten Hits and 4 Number One singles, The Beach Boys left an impression on 1960s American pop culture rivaled only by the band that considered them to be their only competition, The Beatles.
* Video celebrates the band's 50th anniversary -- Brian Wilson, Mike Love, Al Jardine, David Marks and Bruce Johnston -- gathered in 2012 for an emotional reunion in Los Angeles to record their first album of new material in 20 years, to reflect on their remarkable history, and to kick off a worldwide tour.
* Never-before-seen footage from the 1966 "Good Vibrations" recording sessions.
* PBS Special will debut July 14th with numerous showings throughout summer.
* New album "That's Why God Made the Radio" is highest charting release for the Beach Boys since 1965, placing them second all-time with longest span of top 10 albums at 49 years passing The Beatles by two years
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 10:56:07 AM »

How nice!

...but man, they just had to mention The Beatles again. Twice. I'm waiting for the day when the boys are praised only on their own merits. Someone is getting lazy, though: they didn't mention what is Sir Paul's favorite song.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 11:09:34 AM »

This release is most welcome by me since I thoroughly enjoyed the special.  Very well put together.   But for this to be the ONLY release from the whole tour...well I wouldn't like that too much.   police

Although, it does make you wonder:  if the other concerts that were filmed (like Red Rock) for a possible DVD release will be used as part of a more elaborate documentary/tour-diary (as a few posters have suggested) why release this PBS special if they're both basically the same format i.e. documentar mixed with live song excerpts?  You'd think that any other DVD release would be a complete show concert DVD rather than just an "expanded" version of this "Doin In Again" program?
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 11:21:44 AM »

Although, it does make you wonder:  if the other concerts that were filmed (like Red Rock) for a possible DVD release will be used as part of a more elaborate documentary/tour-diary (as a few posters have suggested) why release this PBS special if they're both basically the same format i.e. documentar mixed with live song excerpts?  You'd think that any other DVD release would be a complete show concert DVD rather than just an "expanded" version of this "Doin In Again" program?

This.

I still have to believe that we will get a faux full concert (with clips from multiple shows, including overseas) if they continue to film concerts but already have this one "in the can" and ready for release in a little over a month.

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 12:18:14 PM »

So this is a documentary style concert. It sounds great!

But please, please Capital Records, put out the entire concert on DVD and CD.  Cry I don't care which venue or if it's from various shows. I don't care about post production. Just give us the entire show...PLEASE Bow
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 12:35:33 PM »

* Never-before-seen footage from the 1966 "Good Vibrations" recording sessions

Aha!
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 12:46:14 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CJ5qxFKfJM

oops
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 01:26:16 PM »

w00t! Pirate Rock!

Woot!!! Pre-order is already up on Amazon U.S.A.!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Doin-Again-Blu-ray-Beach-Boys/dp/B008KZY01C/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1342815623&sr=1-2&keywords=The+Beach+Boys+doin+it+again

http://www.amazon.com/Doin-Again-The-Beach-Boys/dp/B008KJZJTK/ref=tmm_dvd_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1342815623&sr=1-2
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 01:32:27 PM by SloopJohnnyB » Logged
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 04:25:01 PM »

I am confused; is this merely the longer version of that program or a brand new venture?

The Amazon listing has it at 90 minutes, so it would appear to be an expanded version of the special as it aired in its 55 minute, PBS state. Though, the other ad description doesn't explicitly say anything to that effect or mention any bonus footage -- other than what we already saw in the PBS version. I would *guess* more concert footage and the missing years filled in a little? Let's hope there's more info to come.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2012, 09:55:00 PM »

Wow that Good Vibrations footage is awesome!! I hope their is more footage from the Pet Sounds SMiLE era that comes out. Or from any era for that matter

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2012, 10:27:24 PM »

I've already got my 20 bucks ready.  I'm going to buy this sh*t the day it comes out. 

SO IT IS WRITTEN.  SO IT SHALL BE DONE.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2012, 11:50:48 PM »

Very peculiar release. Especially with the promise of a new and expanded special on the horizon.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2012, 01:28:42 AM »

I've already got my 20 bucks ready.  I'm going to buy this sh*t the day it comes out. 

SO IT IS WRITTEN.  SO IT SHALL BE DONE.

SO MOTE IT BE.

Evil
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2012, 06:56:30 PM »

I thought a live CD was comin' too...

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2012, 07:51:13 PM »

There has been no official word or confirmation of a full live show DVD (this isn't one) or CD.

Doesn't mean it won't happen, but there have been far too many people around here taking other folks' idle speculation as gospel truth.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2012, 08:10:01 PM »

There has been no official word or confirmation of a full live show DVD (this isn't one) or CD.

Doesn't mean it won't happen, but there have been far too many people around here taking other folks' idle speculation as gospel truth.

No official word, but Mike mentioned a live CD in that Billboard article.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Michael Edwards Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2012, 08:20:02 PM »

Haven't seen this mentioned elsewhere on the board.  This item seems to be something else entirely.  With any luck, it will be the live DVD that we are hoping to see.  http://social.entertainment.msn.com/music/blogs/scene-and-heard-blogpost.aspx?post=36a652ee-5afa-4508-a779-f8f7eb051041
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2012, 09:04:37 AM »

Very peculiar release. Especially with the promise of a new and expanded special on the horizon.

But this is the expanded special, right? The Blu-ray contains over 30 minutes of additional footage not included in the PBS showing...hopefully including a little more "in the studio" footage during the making of TWGMTR.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2012, 09:18:37 AM »

I hope they do something better with the GV studio footage where we'd be able to see a more raw, unedited version. As it stands now, everything going back to the CBS morning show to YouTube Smile webisodes to Charlie Rose to the PBS special is presented scattershot, where the edits jump from Columbia to Western, and there is footage on one "special" that doesn't appear on another...all that kind of stuff. The footage is fascinating on its own, for lesser fans do the cuts and edits to the audio track, for the die-hard obsessives a bonus DVD track is in order.

Please, make it all available!

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2012, 01:26:39 PM »

But this is the expanded special, right? The Blu-ray contains over 30 minutes of additional footage not included in the PBS showing...hopefully including a little more "in the studio" footage during the making of TWGMTR.

It appears that both the regular DVD and the Blue-ray are 90 minutes long.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx