gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 10:47:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: From a composition standpoint, TWGMTR is a top 10 Beach Boys song  (Read 12113 times)
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: August 06, 2012, 09:33:48 AM »

Try singing the various parts as you cruise along in your car; it's not so easy.

Actually I think that is a reason why TWGMTR will not become a true classic. It is to hard to really sing along. I appreciate the song however, and when they played it in Berlin, I closed my eyes to enjoy its beauty better.

They could have played more songs from the new album live had the audience consisted of more me's. Wink 2

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 06, 2012, 10:00:34 AM »

I disagree with the topic title.
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 06, 2012, 10:29:17 AM »

I think it's okay, but a little cheesy. I don't think it measures up to any of the better 60s or 70s stuff at all. From There to Back Again is a different matter.  A song of real beauty.

Honk! Honk!
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 06, 2012, 11:50:02 AM »

I can't believe people here can't see past Runners' sarcasm  LOL. The dude often posts some real intelligent, coherent posts, it should be clear that 'insane' posts such as the one above is satirical. Are they necessary? Probably not, but he does add a little punch to what is sometimes a pretty dry board with them and I do think this place would be worse off without him (no homo).

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 06, 2012, 03:44:32 PM »

I support all of Hello Kitty's posts

No homo
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 06, 2012, 04:12:54 PM »

I can't believe people here can't see past Runners' sarcasm  LOL. The dude often posts some real intelligent, coherent posts, it should be clear that 'insane' posts such as the one above is satirical. Are they necessary? Probably not, but he does add a little punch to what is sometimes a pretty dry board with them and I do think this place would be worse off without him (no homo).

Same here. Honestly runners is one of the best posters on here and his use of sarcasm is obvious. So if you don't get it, shame on you.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 06, 2012, 08:29:20 PM »

If this song were written and recorded in the 60s it would be considered right up there with early songs like California Girls and Help Me Rhonda.

What do you think?

The more I listen to this new album the more I am amazed at how incredible the Brian tracks are.  An incredible achievement after 50 years.

I didn't read any of the replies, but thought I would just chime in with my two cents to your original post. 

I agree, it's a very good song.  I've been listening to the album pretty much everyday since it came out, and I've gotten to the point where I don't skip any of the tracks.  I would say "Beaches in Mind" is the weakest, just because I don't really like the theme (I love Spring Vacation). "That's why God Made the Radio" is a really great track; it's very similar in vibe to Good Timin (to me) and I've always thought that was one of their best singles too.  It has a really mature sound to it, so it's missing that early, kind of rough, young, enthusiastic sound the Beach Boys had with the early songs you mentioned (California Girls... Help Me Rhonda).  It's much slicker, and much more thought out... but it's the Beach Boys sounding impossibly good at 70 years old.  I much prefer the album mix to any of the other mixes of the single (the radio single...the video single... etc.).  Everybody condemns the "Trucker's Key Change" or whatever they call it, but I think it fits the song great.  The song is incredibly well composed, and then very well produced.  I keep coming back to it as pretty much a 'can't miss' song on the album. 

Brian's other compositions on the album, like you mentioned, are all really strong. "Shelter" has really grown on me and may be the best song on the album.  Just under 3 minutes long, it's like a classic, brilliant Brian Wilson production.  Yet 1 more love song for his long-lost Surfer Girl.  Effortlessly great.  Even the theme of the song, the idea of a song about "Shelter" is brilliant; in the quirky "I didn't catch that at first, but now I see it's greatness" way that the absolute best Brian Wilson songs are brilliant.  Beautifully sung by everybody.  Brian doubles himself apparently in places.  For whatever reason, in the first chorus, they go "Oooohhh ooooh oooooh....." but in the second chorus they go "Ahhhh ahhhh ahhhh......".   Little touches like that.  The master still has a little paint left in the bottle. 
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx