gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:58:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 66: Indoor Stadium - Singapore 8/22/12  (Read 45485 times)
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2012, 12:59:10 PM »

I really wonder about the Sail on Sailor choreography.  Is Brian laughing at the song or is this his honest-to-goodness shot at a good performance? Is the band laughing with him or at him (not in a vicious way, but in a "oh that goofy guy" kind of way).

Anything Brian Wilson does is endearing to those around him.
AMEN.  angel
Zargo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2012, 07:51:39 PM »

So why was no video wall in Singapore ? I'm confused ?
Anyway, very nice version of GOK by Brian. Thanks for the links !

From Mike's Australian interview, I gathered that the video wall is only being used when the venue has the equipment. They didn't bring it with them, but if the venue has one, they use it.

Can you direct me to this Australian interview? I have not come across mention of it until now.
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2012, 08:31:53 PM »

And then he sings the next line as "sometimes I feel velly sad", doing an accent and you see a glimpse of a SMiLE on his face. So fantastic.

I noticed this too.

I thought he was saying "very" in a stereotypical way to poke fun of the Asians. "Sometimes I feel varry sad". He probably wasn't doing that, but if he was that's pretty damn funny (if politically incorrect).

He's definitely having some fun up there. Good for him.

Had Mike attempted something like that, we would be backslashing the guy.
Had Bruce attempted something like that, we would have a new hate thread.

I dig that Brian did it, though. And, I say it again, TWW is some of te best live vocals from him I've heard. This tour so far has been his best with the BBs since -- what? 1965?

Oh, come on guys, Brian wasn't making fun of Asians. he just has a funny singing voice.

I kinda think he was. Maybe an inside joke. You did see that sly smile on his face as he was singing it like that, didn't you? That's one of those looks that you make when you're getting away with something.  Cheesy

I doubt he was, although I concur that it's possible.  If he really was, though, he picked the wrong country:  Singapore is technically an English-speaking country, although it's multilingual and their variety of English can be quite different from American or British.  The most common native language these days there is probably Mandarin Chinese, which unlike Japanese and Korean distinguishes between "l" and "r," although their R sounds are quite different from those in English (but sound nothing like "l"). 
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2012, 08:34:29 PM »

I really wonder about the Sail on Sailor choreography.  Is Brian laughing at the song or is this his honest-to-goodness shot at a good performance? Is the band laughing with him or at him (not in a vicious way, but in a "oh that goofy guy" kind of way).

I don't know, but one possibillity is that the movements help to sing the notes... in better pitch. Jeff supports Brian vocally, and now and then others join in.

I could see the movements helping him hit the notes.  But as for vocal support, when he was doing that at the Nagoya show, there didn't seem to be anyone supporting him vocally on SOS--in fact, Jeff was watching him and making the movements back at him, so his back was turned to the mic. 
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2012, 10:20:48 PM »

From Mike's Australian interview, I gathered that the video wall is only being used when the venue has the equipment. They didn't bring it with them, but if the venue has one, they use it.

Can you direct me to this Australian interview? I have not come across mention of it until now.

Here you go

http://blogs.abc.net.au/sa/2012/08/getting-the-good-vibes.html
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2012, 07:20:51 PM »

This is such a sight to see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=---rzu0JRL4
LdC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2012, 11:27:09 PM »

Hi, here is a review I found of Singapore which suggests....LIP SYNCHING!!! Say it isnt so -

http://sg.entertainment.yahoo.com/blogs/singapore-showbiz/beach-boys-beaten-battered-still-rockin-033217656.html

Zargo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2012, 11:49:00 PM »

Here you go

http://blogs.abc.net.au/sa/2012/08/getting-the-good-vibes.html

Thanks. He sounds pretty tired, but it's not a bad listen.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2012, 07:04:30 AM »

This is probably the first known live recording of the actual single version of "Isn't It Time":

http://youtu.be/r_XGVJmXEWM

Note the different (Al's) and the different bridge.
Also note that is different both from the album version AND the live version they use to play towards the end of the US tour.

Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2012, 08:53:37 AM »

This is probably the first known live recording of the actual single version of "Isn't It Time":

Also note that is different both from the album version AND the live version they use to play towards the end of the US tour.

It's a stronger arrangement than the album's. Really wish it hits big.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2012, 09:10:49 AM »

Oops, nevermind.

What does John Cowsill's shirt say? Looks like a take off of the Pet Sounds font.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 09:12:02 AM by EgoHanger1966 » Logged

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2012, 09:14:08 AM »

I'm not feeling the new lyrics. Even more generic than before! And...say what you will, but I miss Jeff on the bridge.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2012, 12:19:09 PM »

I'm not feeling the new lyrics. Even more generic than before! And...say what you will, but I miss Jeff on the bridge.

I do, as well.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2012, 04:45:51 PM »

Wow this version of "God Only Knows" is impeccable.  Strong vocals by Brian...and he sticks every high note.  The "what good would living do meeeeeee" is dead on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt5RuosEbDg&feature=relmfu
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx