gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:26:56 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Which do you prefer?
Smiley Smile - 47 (40.2%)
Wild Honey - 70 (59.8%)
Total Voters: 106

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Twofer polls #4: Smiley Smile vs Wild Honey  (Read 35458 times)
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2012, 01:38:49 AM »

As much as I love the album, from an objective point of view I can see why some people would hate it. If you just don't get into that "vibe", it's a pretty weird mess, really. But then again, calling an album that includes 'Good Vibrations', 'Heroes and Villains', 'Wonderful', 'Vegetables' and 'Wind Chimes' one of the worst albums ever is of course just stupid.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2012, 02:03:43 AM »

His judgement seems to be very much based on "what coulda been" rather than looking at the album in its own right.

“We live in divisive times.”
Youre Under Arrest
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2012, 04:44:17 AM »

Wild Honey is much more solid and fluid album. Smiley Smile is spoiled by that terrible Wind Chimes, that terrible Wonderful (oxymoron alert) and Fall Breaks And Back To Winter. I guess you could also add Getting Hungry for another lame track. The inclusion of Good Vibrations and Heroes And Villains does not boost the album's credibility, they feel just so out of place.

Wild Honey just powers from the get go with the rocking title track, the fantastic Aren't You Glad, the beautiful Country Air, the almighty Darlin', the cleverly cheeky I'd Love Just Once To See You and the rocking How She Boogalooed. The only thing that spoils Wild Honey is the inclusion of Mama Says.

As always i find myself amazed at the dislike for a certain song that i've always absolutely sodding loved? On the Sunflower/Surf's Up thread it was Got To Know The Woman (again, what's not to love about that song?) and here it's Gettin' Hungry. A few people now have slated it, despite the fact that it's an absolute blast - tremendous pounding organ and wild singing from Brian! Is it just me or do some people here seem to dislike any song where the BB's actually start to rock (there's also lots of critism for (the excellent) All I Want To Do for instance)?

(Oh, and the Smiley version of Wind Chimes is the best!)

You know, I really enjoy Got To Know The Woman.

I can't stand Mike's parts on Getting Hungry, it doesn't seem to be done... well. I'm having trouble articulating it.

I dunno, I enjoy TSS version of Wind Chimes much, much better.

"My name is Brian and I'm the man, I write hit songs with the wave of my hand" - Brian Wilson

Not only was Brian a musical genius, but he was a real cool head, making real good bread.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2012, 06:06:28 AM »

Wild Honey is much more solid and fluid album. Smiley Smile is spoiled by that terrible Wind Chimes, that terrible Wonderful (oxymoron alert) and Fall Breaks And Back To Winter. I guess you could also add Getting Hungry for another lame track. The inclusion of Good Vibrations and Heroes And Villains does not boost the album's credibility, they feel just so out of place.

Wild Honey just powers from the get go with the rocking title track, the fantastic Aren't You Glad, the beautiful Country Air, the almighty Darlin', the cleverly cheeky I'd Love Just Once To See You and the rocking How She Boogalooed. The only thing that spoils Wild Honey is the inclusion of Mama Says.

As always i find myself amazed at the dislike for a certain song that i've always absolutely sodding loved? On the Sunflower/Surf's Up thread it was Got To Know The Woman (again, what's not to love about that song?) and here it's Gettin' Hungry. A few people now have slated it, despite the fact that it's an absolute blast - tremendous pounding organ and wild singing from Brian! Is it just me or do some people here seem to dislike any song where the BB's actually start to rock (there's also lots of critism for (the excellent) All I Want To Do for instance)?

(Oh, and the Smiley version of Wind Chimes is the best!)

Got To Know The Woman and ALL I Want To Do are pretty dull rock songs imo, in contrast to say It's About Time or Marcella which are great, rockin songs by the BBs.

I like Gettin Hungry by the way!

« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 06:08:45 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
bluesno1fann
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2014, 02:20:10 AM »

Wild Honey. Smiley Smile is too out there for me.

Two songs which I consider BB's favourites are on Wild Honey, and that's the title track and Here Comes The Night!
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2014, 09:13:28 AM »

Smiley Smile
bluesno1fann
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2014, 03:51:16 AM »

Smiley Smile is too out there for me.
And that's one of the main reasons I love Smiley Smile. Quite astonishing to hear such kind of sentiment from you, a fan of "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn". Isn't it also trippy & spacey?

I love Piper. But Smiley Smile is just a little more weird, and I guess Piper is more accessible to my ears.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2014, 04:18:47 AM »

Smiley Smile is the Beach Boys album that took the most to grow in my case. I didn't truly start to appreciate it until I approached it for what it is, ignoring the "what should've been". It's in my top 5 now.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 04:19:50 AM by Ovi » Logged
beatnickle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2014, 08:25:17 AM »

I love them both. It's such a case of apples and oranges. Wild Honey would be enhanced greatly for me were it released in
stereo. As for Smiley Smile, it is a rare work of art. People describe Brian as a type of Mozart on Pet Sounds but on Smiley Smile he
is in his Picasso period.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2014, 10:19:33 PM »

I used to despise Smiley with a burning passion, and I still think it's a damn shame it's "replaced" SMiLE, but putting all that aside, it's a brilliant album in its own right, and now that the SMiLE material is out there in its official, cleaned-up, studio-quality glory, the two are fascinating companion pieces.

The only faults I have with Smiley (when looking at it on its own terms) are the inclusion of HV and GV. I wish Brian had still had the will to fight Capitol on this point. And, no offense to my fellow commentors here, but saying "Well, if nothing else, it has GV on it!" denotes a complete lack of understanding Smiley and what makes it so great. Those two songs completely contradict what Smiley's message was.

It's the antithesis to SMiLE and the psychedelic/production race. It's stripped down to the bare bones but in a unique, stylistic way, not a bland underproduced way. If SMiLE and it's contemporaries (Sgt Pepper, Are You Experienced, Surrealistic Pillow) were albums that attempted to recreate the all encompassing magic of tripping, Smiley is an outsider watching other people trip. No grand, intricate sounds...just a bunch of guys stoned, giggly and acting stupid.

I agree with the person that said they'd like to know more about the Smiley sessions. Frankly, TSS boxset should've included another disc of Smiley outtakes, in my opinion. And yes, to dismiss Smiley as Brian giving up or "going crazy" is unfair. While obviously very troubled, I think Brian was still competent at this point. Being able to record Smiley from the comfort of home was probably a result of feeling down and depressed post-SMiLE, but Brian used it to his advantage.

I refer you to this article:http://earcandy_mag.tripod.com/rrcase-2.htm. While I think it's an oversimplification that white-washes Brian's issues and the band's unsupportiveness, it makes for an interesting point. In a way, Brian released the music/message he wanted to, while also pleasing (or passive-aggressively toying with) the band. They wanted a "simple, not weird" album. And Brian gave them 'simple' but in a way that was just as weird as SMiLE ever was. SMiLE toes the line between happy, upbeat music and eerie (Fire, the theme of Indian destruction, etc.) That dichotomy of moods is expressed in Smiley as well. The Boys are high, laid back, having fun...but there's just something incredibly off putting and askew about it all. Wind Chimes in particular is unsettling. But then there's deliberate attempts at comedy as well (She's goin bald.)

In short, Smiley is an incredible work of art if one can get past the fact that, yes, SMiLE is better. I think they should've given it a different name to help avoid the unfair comparisons (tho I guess it's inevitable either way.) It's a testament to Brian as an artist that even at his lowest point he was able to make a unique, progressive LP. Had a Smiley-esque album come out after SMiLE, rather than in place of it, I think it'd be hailed as a genius experiment, not a complete misfire.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2014, 03:56:36 AM »

Smiley has stronger songs than Honey...
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2014, 05:25:49 AM »

I voted for Smiley Smile but only because it's behind in the poll. For me it's a winter album----i used to have it on my mind trudging through the snow to work in the winter of '67/'68.

If SS is dark and nocturnal to my mind, with an intimate indoor feel, Wild Honey is bright and airy. They are opposites that complement one another perfectly----just what you need on a 2fer. To say nothing of the incredible array of bonus tracks----in fact my unofficial vote goes to "Can't Wait Too Long". :=) 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
ThyRavenAscend
Smiley Smile Associate

It is nice.

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2014, 11:23:31 AM »

I voted for Smiley Smile but only because it's behind in the poll. For me it's a winter album----i used to have it on my mind trudging through the snow to work in the winter of '67/'68.

If SS is dark and nocturnal to my mind, with an intimate indoor feel, Wild Honey is bright and airy. They are opposites that complement one another perfectly----just what you need on a 2fer. To say nothing of the incredible array of bonus tracks----in fact my unofficial vote goes to "Can't Wait Too Long". :=) 

Smiley Smile is also a winter album to me!  A week before my winter wedding I lost my job, and "Little Pad" was a song of peace to me.

I love how bizarre SS is.  It seem to be the most "vocal" album the BB ever did: stripped down to almost nothing but vocals at numerous points.  I love how intricate H&V and GV are compared to the stripped tracks.  I love how unashamed the album is.  Love it, love it.  If SMiLE didn't exist in The SMiLE Sessions form, Smiley Smiley would--dare I say it--possibly top Pet Sounds for me.

1 Corinthians 1:18-31
KDS
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2015, 11:25:05 AM »

Smiley Smile sounds to me like a rush job.  A band trying to pick up the pieces are the non release of the Smile record.

Wild Honey is a new beginning.  I think its the first album of the second golden era of Beach Boys music.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2015, 09:58:22 PM »

Cannot choose between these two - they fit together perfectly. Yes, Smiley is weird, but that's exactly why Honey goes down so good after 30 minutes of stoned weirdness.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2017, 04:55:30 AM »

Topic shows yet again the Smiley Smile underratedness. WH is bad & half-boring.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx