gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 12:39:18 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jesus Christ Superstar  (Read 1102 times)
EthanJClarke93
« on: July 17, 2012, 11:40:01 AM »

I don't know where I could post this topic, But what are your thoughts On This Rock Opera (as well as the Movie)?

MyGlove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 12:21:27 PM »

I don't think I have ever seen it. I'm pretty sure someone told me as a kid that it was "blasphemous", so I've never showed much interest. Does it come across that way at all cuz I haven't looked into it really.
Michael Edwards Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 12:55:52 PM »

Love the original recording with Ian Gillan singing the part of Jesus.  In fact, I've got a strange sentimental attachment to it.  There are parts of it that really move me.  I was born in 1971 and my parents told me that it was on constant rotation when I was in the womb.  I've always wondered what the psychological impact of that was on me.   Smiley

As to the question of "blasphemy", I wouldn't use so strong a word.  It definitely emphasizes the humanity of Jesus and ends with the crucifixion, not the resurrection.  So, some Christians might find it a bit lacking.  But it was never meant to be an evangelistic tract. 

I enjoy it for the great music.  IMHO, it's the best Andrew Lloyd Webber ever did.
Dead Parrot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 10:23:08 PM »

I enjoy it for the great music.  IMHO, it's the best Andrew Lloyd Webber ever did.

I'd have to agree with this.
A couple of standout moments being the incredibly catch guitar riff on "Heaven On Their Minds" and Ian Gillan's vocals on "Gethsamane"
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 04:31:10 PM »

I love Murray Head as Judas, too.  I  enjoyed both hippie Jesus musicals I was exposed to as a kid, though I think JCS has held up better than "Godspell" (I suppose Godspell is technically clown-mime Jesus).  In fact, my old Catholic elementary school did "Godspell" as a student production a few years ago.  I suppose different faiths have different views about Jesus musicals.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx