gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:11:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 53: Poble Espanyol - Barcelona, Spain 7/23/12  (Read 30965 times)
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2012, 05:09:01 AM »

I did not yell at John about any mistakes he may have made...Mike wanted to add ALL SUMMER LONG which wasn't on the setlist and I had to call out Cowsill and Darian on the mic to get their attention.

Scott

Mr. Totten thank you very much for your outstanding work as band leader of this dream-come-true tour.

Regarding the setlists, hey guys: stop complaining and take it all in... Go listen to the recordings of the songs you missed and enjoy the shows for what they are.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2012, 05:51:39 AM »

Hope we'll get "Marcella" "This whole world" "Add some music" in Berlin on August 3rd. And also "Isn't it time" and "I just wasn't made for these times".

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2012, 07:36:47 AM »

Europe is so far getting the short end of the stick, eh..

More like a Mike/Bruce show instead of the full blown 50th tour America got

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2012, 08:03:40 AM »

Not really -- although I've actually seen better sets *from* the Mike & Bruce band. We've only seen one setlist so far (the one on setlist.fm for the Avila gig is the same as this one, but reports from there said 50 songs, not 45), and that set has Please Let Me Wonder, Ballad Of Old Betsy, All This Is That, Good Timin', Sail On Sailor, Heroes & Villains.

It's actually fairly typical for the April/May shows they did in the US, it's just that some songs got swapped in and out, as they've done throughout the tour, so compared with, say, the May 21 Chicago show (the first Google hit for Beach Boys May 2012 setlist, chosen at random) this show has You're So Good To Me, Getcha Back, Come Go With Me, Darlin', Betsy, Good Timin', Dance Dance Dance and All Summer Long, but not Marcella, Wendy, Kiss Me Baby, Disney Girls, Add Some Music, I Just Wasn't Made For These Times or Forever.

Now, I prefer that second list to the first list, but it's not as if there's a *massive* discrepancy based on only those differences. The set's not as good as the really long, really good sets they did toward the end of the US tour, of course, but it's as good as many of the sets they did in the first half of the US tour.

I'm sure they'll continue swapping songs around (and if anyone with any influence is reading this and taking requests, I'd *love* to see the return of Pet Sounds, Our Prayer, Kiss Me Baby and I Just Wasn't Made For These Times), and this setlist is definitely skewed to the more conservative end of their recent sets, but I doubt that anyone left particularly disappointed.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2012, 08:10:29 AM »

Many in the States were envious of the more deep cuts in the setlists that Europe got and we didn't in the US.  I guess it is largely a function of the demographic.  To its credit, Europe seemed more aware and connected to the less well known music.  

As a US fan on the sidelines, I can tell you that every time I saw that monstrosity of a video wall, the thought of moving it, made my stomach turn,  and moving it "overland" is far easier than across the seas.  And the priceless photos and video really blew me away.  

When I saw TLOS, I seem to remember the video/photo stuff done on a conventional movie screen.  I don't know if that is possible for this production, which I found more dramatic and massive than anything the Band did before, and it might be a function of the production end.  

The Touring Band is nothing to denigrate.  (nor the others)  They travel light and leave the audiences spent.  They often play two shows a day.  This is almost a whole emotional experience, with the reunion of the band members and the obvious synergy that is not a "put-on."   Wink
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2012, 08:39:51 AM »

To its credit, Europe seemed more aware and connected to the less well known music.  

I think that only goes for Britain. Unfortunately Germany is not known for it's good taste in music but I hope we'll get the deeper cuts as well. Although I'm happy to see them I'd probably be a little disappointed if they don't do "Marcella" or "Forever"  etc.
They could also add "Honkin' down the highway" into the car medley  Wink

Anyway, facebook:

« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 08:53:28 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2012, 09:31:03 AM »

I did not yell at John about any mistakes he may have made...Mike wanted to add ALL SUMMER LONG which wasn't on the setlist and I had to call out Cowsill and Darian on the mic to get their attention.

Scott

Nice to see you on hear man!  Thanks for all your hard work on the tour--it's been an amazing ride for us fans! 
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2012, 10:03:50 AM »

Just wanted to add my thanks to Scott Totten (and ALL the fab band) for all of their hard work at recreating those wonderful songs.  Truly a dream come true for us hardcore fans.  It may seem like we always have a complaint (we do), but this tour has been an embarrassment of riches.  It is what we do (see the Smile box set reviews for how we end up looking a gift horse in the mouth...).

The 3 shows I saw (Berkeley, Hollywood Bowl, and Irvine) were a joy and a true celebration of the music.  Thanks for the personal shout out on microphone from the stage at the Berkeley sound check, Scott, it made me SMiLE!

I'm all for another North American reunion tour - hope it happens!  But I'll still be checking out all the Al, Brian, and Mike and Bruce shows separate shows if that is the way it plays out.

I hope you are having fun!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2012, 12:46:13 PM »

Good Vibrations:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7QhU7NwZn8

- Jack Rieley
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2012, 02:14:51 PM »

Barbara Ann
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMb181OwFXg

Car medley
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB8W6_z2vf4

Wouldn't It Be nice/Good Vibrations/California Girls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4uavcu7xCQ
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 02:16:13 PM by Justin » Logged
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2012, 06:12:38 PM »

The BBs are not very big in Spain, although they've built a fanbase (sort of) in the last 20 years or so. It shouldn't be suprising if the setlists gravitate more towards the classics... and still they keep including album cuts and lesser known songs. They've done their homework at crafting a setlists for each venue/crowd/country. The other countries may receive other goodies and lose some.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Cowsii
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2012, 12:24:22 AM »

Well Scott someone finally noticed the abuse I've been getting...  LOL
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2012, 02:37:54 AM »

Hi John, great to see you here!
Looking forward to the Rome show tomorrow!

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2012, 03:07:38 AM »

Congrats on your awesome drumming so far. Close 2nd to Denny only.
Jimmie_R
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2012, 03:36:09 AM »

I´ll be seeing them in sweden in 4 days so I hope the deeper cuts are back in the set by then Sad
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2012, 04:29:38 AM »

I´ll be seeing them in sweden in 4 days so I hope the deeper cuts are back in the set by then Sad

I'm just about to leave for the airport to see them in Italy tomorrow and Friday. I do hope that some of the songs I love are added back -- or even some new ones (Warmth Of The Sun or Let Him Run Wild would be nice...) but I'm going to enjoy the shows no matter what. You can't really complain *too* much when one of your favourite bands has so many big hits that they can't fit more than a couple of rarities into a two-hour-plus show, after all.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2012, 05:11:19 AM »

@ Scott T and Cowsii  Cheesy No critism intended mr. Totten. It was a funny moment, I believe it was right before Getcha back; John started playing the intro beat and (was) stopped twice. He then laughed out loud, put his sticks in the air and yelled out What? off-mic which I could hear in the audience. Thank you both for putting in these excellent performances.

Other great moments:
- seeing the guitar tech off stage playing air drums and singing along during the spare moments he wasnt tuning.
- The crowd singing Ole Ole at the end which made Mike, Dave and Al wait and take it in before leaving the stage.
- Highlights: Wouldnt it be nice (greatest song in the world IMO), Come go with me (excellent singing from the crowd), Why do fools (that acapella ending! Shocked), Darlin (overall performance and Mike s mention of Carl), and the best performances of Heroes and villains and Good vibrations I have ever heard by any band configuration.
- Nelson s featured solo spot on cowbell!

Hopes for my next and final concert (Lokeren):
- Everyone stays healthy and fit.
- Isnt it time, This whole world, Kiss me baby, California and/or Add some music.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2012, 05:23:57 AM »

Congrats on your awesome drumming so far. Close 2nd to Denny only.

I agree about that although I really like Ricky Fataar's drumming which of course is a whole different style than what Dennis played. That straight ahead rock'n'roll drumming from Dennis was so perfect for the Beach Boys
Here's hoping for Marcella in Germany !

- Jack Rieley
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2012, 05:41:18 AM »

John! You've been superb throughout this tour, you bring so much energy and life to the show and are very much appreciated!

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2012, 09:38:11 AM »

Hell yeah we got John Cowsil here!  Great job on the tour man!  To me, you're the secret ingredient why the music gels so perfectly.  Well done!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 09:42:24 AM by Justin » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2012, 09:52:38 AM »

Source: http://thebeachboys.eu/

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2012, 01:47:55 PM »

Source: http://www.bauleo.com/index.php/en

- Jack Rieley
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2012, 03:13:13 AM »

From the brit site. Bruce comments about several aspects of the Europe tour with a little bs for good measure.

Barcelona
Posted on July 26, 2012 at 04:09:18 AM by Tony Rivers

Barcelona. Surprised to see no reviews for this great gig. The place was packed, outdoors, beautiful warm evening, and the audience were rocking and so were the guys great job, sad to see what was probably my last time of seeing the Beach Boys-it won't happen again. Al Jardine was the pick of the Beach Boys voices I thought, Scott Totten did his supreme vocal on Ballad Of Ol' Betsy (thanks Nelson) Darian Sahanaja did a great vocal on Darlin', Jeffrey Foskett, as ever, made the sound we know he can. These gigs are all about getting the audience rocking and this certainly was the case, and of course with The Beach Boys songs they played that happened not too many real subleties In My Room Surfer Girl were all standard fodder. I would like to have heard Girls On The Beach/ Warmth Of The Sun/Wendy/Little Girl I Once Knew/Breakaway but it shows what a great choice they have to make=they can leave those songs out!!Also would have loved to have heard Strange World/From There To Back Again/Pacific Coast Highway/Summers Gone. Also missing from the show was the back projection of Carl and Dennis tribute, and that was very disappointing. HAVING SAID ALL THAT THEY DELIVERED 45 SONGS NOT BAD FOR OAP'S.

Posted on July 26, 2012 at 10:17:48 AM by Bruce Johnston

Tony:
We were delighted to host you at our Barcelona concert the other night and we appreciated your recent BBB concert comments. As our concert seemed to be at a venue erected in a town square, it would have been impossible to duplicate our US production (our stage set with the video wall, all the extra lighting, the skateboard ramp, the wave pool for surfing, the soccer pitch, Brian's former dining room turned into a sand box with a grand piano, a hanger for the two private band jets, duplicating the two bars from The Orient Hotel in the Rocks & The Ship Inn, Circular Quay from Sydney in order to offer some comfort to the Aussies and Kiwis that might show up at one of our 'not so down under' concerts, etc.).....
The Barcelona audience had a great time but we will have to save the 'deeper' Beach Boys performance pieces for more traditional venues later on in the tour. You are such a longtime pure fan and I really understand your disappointment in not hearing certain songs. Tony, could you imagine "Warmth Of The Sun" or "Disney Girls" in front of a party mood Spanish audience the other night? At least "Heroes & Villains" survived on our set list! To tell you the truth, I really enjoyed the audience in Barcelona rockin' so hard.

Our two upcoming concerts in London ought to be more your taste in Beach Boys music live in concert.

Your longtime friend....(remember when Keith Moon and I sat in with your band in May, 1966!!!)

Bruce Johnston
Rome
July 26, 2012
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2012, 03:23:15 AM »

1. Do It Again (Mike says ¨bona nit¨which is Catalan for good night)
2. Little Honda
3. Catch A Wave
4. Hawaii
5. Don´t Back Down
6. Surfin´Safari (After which Mike says he´s going to take a ¨siesta¨)
7. Surfer Girl
8. It´s Ok
9. You´re So Good to Me
10. Getcha Back
11. Then I Kissed Her
12. Please Let Me Wonder
13. Come Go With Me
14. Why Do Fools Fall in Love (Mike asks crowd how to pronounce ¨thank you¨in Catalan)
15. When I Grow Up
16. Darlin´
17 Cotton Fields
18. Be True to Your School (Mike mentions Usa vs Spain and mentions Catalan independence as a reason to support America)
19. Ballad of Old Betsy
20. Don´t Worry Baby
21. Little Deuce Coupe
22. 409
23. Shut Down
24. I Get Around
25. In My Room
26. All This is That
27. Good Timin´
28. Sail on Sailor
29. TWGMR
30. Heroes and Villains
31. California Dreamin´
32. God Only Knows
33. Sloop John B
34. Wouldn´t it Be Nice
35. Good Vibrations
36. California Girls
37. Dance Dance Dance
38. All Summer Long
39. Help Me, Rhonda
40. Rock and Roll Music
41. Barbara Ann
42. Surfin´Usa
Encore
43. Kokomo
44. Do You Wanna Dance
45. Fun, Fun, Fun

Brian for the first half or so seemed ver animated and into it surprisingly. But towards the end he barely even moved or anything. I guess he just gets tired or I´m not sure. Looks like he has a tough time walking as well.  No video tribute to Carl and Dennis nor was there an intermission.  They just kept rolling along. It was  a nice night but more or less a meat and potatoes audience that seemed bewildered when they heard stuff like ¨All This is That¨

Al had a big part but Bruce mainly stayed back up vocals and getting the crowd into the show.  Wanted to hear ¨Disney Girls¨. . .

At the end the crowd shouted ¨Ole¨and Al came out to record it on his iphone. 

It was the same setlist as July 21, but they added It's OK, Ballad of Old Betsy, Good Timin' & All Summer Long.
The audience went wild from God Only Knows to Fun Fun Fun.
Mike also sang a spanish line in Kokomo.
It was a great show!!
We weren't able to get into the backstage before the show, but got in after and Brian & Al had left the building. Only David Marks came in to sign and get some pictures taken. Mike came downstairs with his family including Kevin Love!! but they left quickly.
We didn't have the same luck as the Gredos gig, but anyway it was a great weekend seeing two C50 shows in three days.
Hope they come back next year!!

MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2012, 03:35:35 AM »

Posted on July 26, 2012 at 10:17:48 AM by Bruce Johnston

Our two upcoming concerts in London ought to be more your taste in Beach Boys music live in concert.

Oh hell yeah Rock!

Also, glad to see "You're So Good to Me" back and I do understand Bruce's point about it being a party crowd. Still, I bet it was a great concert.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx