gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:02:00 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 53: Poble Espanyol - Barcelona, Spain 7/23/12  (Read 30969 times)
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: July 17, 2012, 09:58:58 AM »

I'll be at this one too!!
Second european show...

The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 09:09:43 AM »

I'll try to put the setlist and some photos for this show too.

dcowboys107
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 09:52:27 AM »

Hey I´ll be there too. I was wondering if there were any meet ups that you were aware of? I´d enjoy something like that! Let me know if you or anyone is interested.
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 10:39:34 AM »

As the door opens at 8 p.m. and there is no seats, I suppose we'll all meet there at the doors. See you there!!

dcowboys107
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 05:23:30 AM »

Anyone want to meet up at a bar before or after?
dcowboys107
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 04:05:03 PM »

1. Do It Again (Mike says ¨bona nit¨which is Catalan for good night)
2. Little Honda
3. Catch A Wave
4. Hawaii
5. Don´t Back Down
6. Surfin´Safari (After which Mike says he´s going to take a ¨siesta¨)
7. Surfer Girl
8. It´s Ok
9. You´re So Good to Me
10. Getcha Back
11. Then I Kissed Her
12. Please Let Me Wonder
13. Come Go With Me
14. Why Do Fools Fall in Love (Mike asks crowd how to pronounce ¨thank you¨in Catalan)
15. When I Grow Up
16. Darlin´
17 Cotton Fields
18. Be True to Your School (Mike mentions Usa vs Spain and mentions Catalan independence as a reason to support America)
19. Ballad of Old Betsy
20. Don´t Worry Baby
21. Little Deuce Coupe
22. 409
23. Shut Down
24. I Get Around
25. In My Room
26. All This is That
27. Good Timin´
28. Sail on Sailor
29. TWGMR
30. Heroes and Villains
31. California Dreamin´
32. God Only Knows
33. Sloop John B
34. Wouldn´t it Be Nice
35. Good Vibrations
36. California Girls
37. Dance Dance Dance
38. All Summer Long
39. Help Me, Rhonda
40. Rock and Roll Music
41. Barbara Ann
42. Surfin´Usa
Encore
43. Kokomo
44. Do You Wanna Dance
45. Fun, Fun, Fun

Brian for the first half or so seemed ver animated and into it surprisingly. But towards the end he barely even moved or anything. I guess he just gets tired or I´m not sure. Looks like he has a tough time walking as well.  No video tribute to Carl and Dennis nor was there an intermission.  They just kept rolling along. It was  a nice night but more or less a meat and potatoes audience that seemed bewildered when they heard stuff like ¨All This is That¨

Al had a big part but Bruce mainly stayed back up vocals and getting the crowd into the show.  Wanted to hear ¨Disney Girls¨. . .

At the end the crowd shouted ¨Ole¨and Al came out to record it on his iphone. 
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 04:09:44 PM »

Well actually it's surprisingly not too bad!
Am I blind or they didn't play "Isn't It Time"? Odd..
Good to see "Goot Timin'" and "All This Is That" but too bad for "Disney Girls", "California", "Pet Sounds", "Add Some Music" etc.

I guess we'll get something similiar at the Italian gigs.

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 04:18:32 PM »

That's crazy, they did (presumably) over two hours without a break!

Did they have the big "50" screen behind them with the videos and pictures? I'm guessing not - maybe it was too expensive to haul that stuff all across the world.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 04:23:14 PM by EgoHanger1966 » Logged

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 04:21:29 PM »

Well actually it's surprisingly not too bad!
Am I blind or they didn't play "Isn't It Time"? Odd..
Good to see "Goot Timin'" and "All This Is That" but too bad for "Disney Girls", "California", "Pet Sounds", "Add Some Music" etc.

I guess we'll get something similiar at the Italian gigs.

Yeah, I do hope they re-add at least I Just Wasn't Made For These Times. It's a decent enough set, but the songs they've dropped are, unsurprisingly, the ones I most want to hear.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 05:48:50 PM »

Is it my imagination, or did they re-tool the encore songs so Brian could sit down for the last few songs?  Earlier in the tour, he ended the show on bass.  Now, it seems he does his bass bit, then when they come back for the encore, he sits down behind the keyboards until the end of the show. 
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 08:55:45 PM »

That's a pretty conservative setlist.  I'm hoping that they do something more adventurous with the following European dates (and with the Japan dates!)
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 09:24:57 PM »

Just noticed "You're So Good To Me" is back - IIRC they haven't performed that in a while. I saw them do it in May and was impressed with Brian's vocal - sounded like '88!

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 12:48:28 AM »

Quite a few songs missing to my huge disappointment I have to say. Hardly anything from 1970 / 1973. I was really looking forward to Forever, This Whole World, California, or even Isn't it time. We DID get YSGTM, Dance dance dance and All summer long... but... mhhhhh.... Also no video screen, probably left behind in the US to cut on costs.

Brian and Jeff looked really tired during the second half. There were several mistakes by Cowsill who handled being yelled at by Scott T. very well Wink. Overall a very solid performance, lacking the extra songs for us fans who enjoy the deeper material. Great venue, nearly sold out I think. Mike was in great form, he's going to continue doing this for a long time I'd say. For me the first time seeing Al and David, very cool. Al's such a friendly guy.

(not sure if this was noted before, Mikey and Probyn both play bass on DDD)
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 12:56:06 AM »

There were several mistakes by Cowsill who handled being yelled at by Scott T. very well Wink.

*Really*?! I've never heard of Cowsill messing up. Between that and people talking about Brian and Jeff being tired, I wonder if there's some kind of problem behind the scenes? That would explain why they've dropped some of the more difficult songs, too.

(I'm not thinking here of major catastrophic problems, just maybe like there's a cold going round the band and they're all under the weather or something...)

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Scott
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 02:35:59 AM »

I did not yell at John about any mistakes he may have made...Mike wanted to add ALL SUMMER LONG which wasn't on the setlist and I had to call out Cowsill and Darian on the mic to get their attention.

Scott
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2012, 03:20:56 AM »

No video tributes to Carl and Dennis? Why might this be? I desperately hope they reinstate this for the Wembley, London show as I'd like to show my appreciation for them both.

I'd like to see some of the more rare songs played, but as long as GOK and Forever are done by the right people, I'll be happy.

It's easy to analyse every movement by the band, but as Scott has kindly said, normally there's just an innocent reason behind it all! It must be tough producing an amazing show night after night!

I'm just looking forward to what I know will be an amzing night in London and hope that all my faves and Carl/Dennis are played. Smiley
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2012, 03:26:49 AM »

No video tributes to Carl and Dennis? Why might this be? I desperately hope they reinstate this for the Wembley, London show as I'd like to show my appreciation for them both.

Could be any number of reasons -- could be that shipping the video screens across was too expensive, or that they've not arrived yet, or that union regulations mean they had to hire a different tour crew who haven't had a chance to learn the system yet, or some combination of those things.

Since they've not been seen at either Spanish show, I'd guess we probably won't see them on the main leg of the European tour, but since the London gigs are separated from the rest, who knows?

Also, since Scott's apparently reading this thread, I'd just like to say thanks for all his work both with this band and the Mike & Bruce band. It must be fairly thankless work in many ways, but he's always done a fantastic job.

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2012, 03:32:22 AM »

Also, since Scott's apparently reading this thread, I'd just like to say thanks for all his work both with this band and the Mike & Bruce band. It must be fairly thankless work in many ways, but he's always done a fantastic job.
Not just the 'co-musical-director' thing, but he also plays well each night and is awesome on Ballad of Ole' Betsy3D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax1iCHs7CFE

Outstanding job so far, Mr Totten!
Jacopo88
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2012, 03:34:22 AM »

Brian didn't stand up during Barbara Ann with his bass guitar   Sad Sad Sad Sad
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2012, 03:36:52 AM »

He sat down with the bass during the encore? That's a new one.. Or do you mean he stayed put at his piano, without any bass? Then he probably wasn't in the mood for it.
Jacopo88
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2012, 03:45:40 AM »

He sat down with the bass during the encore? That's a new one.. Or do you mean he stayed put at his piano, without any bass? Then he probably wasn't in the mood for it.

There are two videos of BA from Avila and Barcelona, and in both videos Brian is at his piano. The Barcelona video is clearer and he was just playing the piano, so you may be right: he was not in the mood to play bass. Hope he'll do in Rome.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2012, 03:51:19 AM »

hope they delve a bit deeper with the setlist by the time they get to Germany, seem to be dropping the songs I most wanna hear. I would have thought they would be adding more deep curts for Europe not dropping em.

CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2012, 03:53:30 AM »

With you here Andrew, Scott does an awesome job and he keeps the music the way it should be! Smiley
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2012, 03:58:23 AM »

hope they delve a bit deeper with the setlist by the time they get to Germany, seem to be dropping the songs I most wanna hear. I would have thought they would be adding more deep curts for Europe not dropping em.

I hope they add some of them back for the Italian or UK shows (Pet Sounds, This Whole World, Disney Girls and I Just Wasn't Made For These Times especially), but I don't think we can complain too much at a 45-song set.

dcowboys107
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2012, 04:26:13 AM »

Correct, Brian didn´t play bass at all.  Al when introducing ¨Come Go¨talked about its being a doo wop song and how it worked. The crowd ate up all the doo wop covers and originals.  I think they have a fairly good grasp on what works and doesn´t which is unfortunate because I was dying to hear ¨Marcella¨and such.  Oddly enough, Carl was only mentioned once.  It was after ¨Darlin´¨ when Mike said he himself and Brian had written the song and was sung by Carl. I was surprised that before or after ¨GOK¨no one mentioned Carl. Dennis I don´t think was ever mentioned. On the big screen note, correct. There was no video screen at all so no tributes. I guess it is expensive to ship, I´m not sure. Or it could simply be a simple adjustment to the audience. In the USA when I went they had a good mixture of deep cuts and all. This time they stuck to R and B doo wop stuff. I liked the show and was awesome seeing the Spanish audience. A lot of young people in their twenties and lots of pot smoke haha.   Smokin

Jeff sang well but towards the end I think he got tired or something. Normally he sings falsetto the whole time but during GV I don´t think he did and some other times towards the end.  Jeff really seemed worried about Brian a bit. He kept on looking over in his direction while Brian kept his eyes closed and barely moving. 
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx