gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 02:26:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bob Dylan's Tempest  (Read 12680 times)
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2012, 07:15:20 AM »

Bobs Xmas album us one if the very best, IMO. Sad
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2012, 08:20:33 AM »

No matter how hard I try - and I tried - Christmas In The Heart doesn't do it for me. And I love Christmas music. At this stage in Bob Dylan's career, and I guess I'm referring mainly to his vocals, it is not a given that he can succeed in any musical genre. I think Christmas carols is one of those genre.

Tempest should arrive from Amazon on Monday. From the reviews I've read, can't wait!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2012, 12:13:59 AM »

No matter how hard I try - and I tried - Christmas In The Heart doesn't do it for me. And I love Christmas music. At this stage in Bob Dylan's career, and I guess I'm referring mainly to his vocals, it is not a given that he can succeed in any musical genre. I think Christmas carols is one of those genre.

Tempest should arrive from Amazon on Monday. From the reviews I've read, can't wait!
The arrangements on CITH are nice, the playing is fine, but Bob's voice is not up to it. If this was anyone but Bob, this album wouldn't have even been released. He wrecked his voice through a number of things - chainsmoking, endless touring, trying to push his voice past it's limits, although the gravelly low thing he does now works well on his newer material. I think he could've done CITH style material quite nicely in the 70's/early 80's.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2012, 01:22:10 PM »

I've been listening to this guy as long as I have been listening to the Beachboys.  What a treat to have them both releasing well received albums 50 years on.  Makes me smile.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2012, 07:39:30 AM »

It's been a few weeks now, what does everybody think?
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2012, 08:14:28 AM »

I'm still enjoying the hell out of it!  Evil
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2012, 02:19:19 AM »

Me too, although I wish Bob wasn't so arrangement-shy. The songs could use some dynamics. Lots of them could use choruses!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2012, 05:23:39 AM »

The second half of the album took a while to sink in, those lomg narratives were hard to follow at first. Still enjoying it though some of the vocals are too harsh to be so up front. There also appears to be some interesting instrumentation buried deep down in the mix. It sounds like roll on John could be remixed to sound completely different. We've not heard the last of Bob, believe me.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2012, 03:54:54 PM »

I just can't help it. An arranger and melody-writer (I think Bob himself could do it, if he wanted) would do wonders. I just can't enjoy this, no matter how much I try.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2012, 05:25:20 PM »

Bob performed "Scarlet Town" Friday night in Winnepig, Manitoba.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2012, 05:37:50 PM »

Knowing Dylan's love of movies, I wouldn't be surprised if he named the album after Paul Mazursky's 1982 film TEMPEST which was a contemporary retelling of the Shakespeare play.

Excellent point, Roger.  Thanks for posting!

By the way, for anyone interested in Dylan discussion boards, there is a really terrific web site called:
Expecting Rain
http://expectingrain.com/

Thank you for posting that link. I didn't KNOW about that board and I will definitely be going back.  Posting links to cool message boards is always appreciated here (at my place).   

and there is a discussion board with a thread about the new album at:

http://expectingrain.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=70852

Similar to our wonderful Smiley Smile board, Expecting Rain is lots of fun, VERY informative, and people get a "little goofy" at times.  Many true, dedicated Dylan lovers.  (Just like here with the BBs!)

By the way, the discussion on the new album is already up to 23 pages and around 500 posts.  LOL  Just based on the song titles and album cover!  Now what board does THAT remind you of?!?

LOL

-- David

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2013, 09:08:55 AM »

Just a quick update on Tempest and The 2013 Never Ending Tour.

There's been a couple of changes. First, Charlie Sexton is not on the tour; he was replaced on guitar by Duke Robillard. Second, which is to be expected, Dylan is playing a lot of Tempest, his latest release. But, third, and a bit of a surprise, Dylan is playing the same setlist at every show (with slight deviations), and including a minimum of the hits, with some glaring omissions. This is the setlist he has been using:

1. Things Have Changed
2. Love Sick
3. High Water (For Charley Patton)
4. Soon After Midnight
5. Early Roman Kings
6. Tangled Up In Blue
7. Pay In Blood
8. Visions Of Johanna
9 Spirit On The Water
10. Beyond Here Lies Nothing
11. Blind Willie McTell
12. What Good Am I?
13. Thunder On The Mountain *
14. Scarlet Town
15. All Along The Watchtower

Encore
16. Ballad Of A Thin Man

* Summer Days was played here once
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 09:44:05 AM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2013, 10:39:36 AM »

That is one hell of a set list. Wish he'd drop watchtower though. Last time I liked his arrangement of that one was in 1989. Amazing hard arrangement with an incredible band. Can't argue with the rest of it though. That should ensure the greatest hits crowd go home thoroughly deflated!
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2013, 11:11:30 AM »

"Pay in Blood" is fucking amazing.

I saw him live at Bethel Woods, unfortunately he was not in good form.  His voice was so shot, I couldn't understand a word he was saying and for a guy who's arguably best known for his poetic lyrics, that's problematic.  And I know he can sing better than that too.  But that's besides the point.  I think Tempest is a fine album, not one of his best by a long shot but better than decent.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx